PDA

View Full Version : A simple observation on how Ana/Maria's game stack up.......

liuxuan
Jun 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Well, since Ana/Maria is all the rage right now and the expected arch rivalry over the next few years, heres what I think as someone who is a huge huge fan of Venus, Lindsay and Jelena, but likes Ana and has respect for both Ana and Maria as players....

Maria has obviously been much more successful over the last 4 years, as her game has been much more of a well oiled, refined machine. Ana has had a much more erratic game, however in my opinion, she has a bigger game than Maria and bigger weapons, and her game has the potential to reach a higher level than Maria's, however, her game has only become refined in the same sense more recently, but I think if she can consistently produce close to her best level the way Maria has been able to do, she will be the more dominant player over the next 5 years.

When both players are playing their best, there is more scope to expose Maria's weaknesses and beat her - although Maria is probably able to produce her best more consistently than Ana. If Ana can produce her best as consistently as Maria does however, she will be the more dominant player.
Kinda like Davenport and Hingis in 1998 - you knew that Hingis wuld always play at a high level, but if Lindsay played to her best then she was the better player - it just depended on whether she would or not - and when she did, it was obviously who was the best player in the world.

All this being said, when Venus and Serena produce their best (which is becoming rare admittedly), they are still better than anyone!

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
You're joking. Maria at her best would blast Ivanovic off the court. Those flat, deep shots are exactly what Ivanovic can't handle.

Emina.
Jun 10th, 2008, 01:56 AM
On clay Ana is better...on hard and grass Maria imo.

cellophane
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Maria >>>>>>>>>> Ana, except clay

hankqq
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Yes, Ana is more inconsistent than Sharapova, who usually brings her best to the court.

Here's the breakdown:

First Serve: Ana can serve a little harder, but they are roughly equal here. (=)

Second Serve: Maria when she's not having nerves/shoulder problems (Maria)

Forehand: (Ana)

Backhand: (Maria)

Speed/Movement: (Ana)

Volleys: (Ana)

Variety: (Ana, though Maria has been working on a nice dropshot lately)

Mental toughness: (Maria, though Ana has improved)

Consistency: (Maria, though Ana has improved)

Really, if Ana plays well, she should be able to beat Maria.

sasha&tennis
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Yes, Ana is more inconsistent than Sharapova, who usually brings her best to the court.

Here's the breakdown:

First Serve: Ana can serve a little harder, but they are roughly equal here. (=)

I agree. The only thing that Sharapova had over Ana was experience to win in the big slam matches. But Ana has that now and the confidence that comes with it. I would not be surprised at all the next time Maria & Ana met that Ana is the victor.

Sharapower
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
The new situation of Ana being world #1 and a GS champion makes it hard to assess where she is going to stand in the future, as far as game mastery is concerned.
As a Maria big fan, my opinion is likely biased, but I have the feeling, based on their match-up history, that Maria is still the favorite against Ana (except on clay).
I don't think comparing them shot by shot is helping a lot to predict how the rivalry will turn in the long run, I do agree that Ana is technically better than Maria, but Maria's game is the kind that's consistently gonna give a lot of trouble to Ana, Masha's pace doesn't allow Ana to develop her game that is based on powerful accelerations on high rebounding top-spin groundstrokes.
In their two last encounters, Maria was totally in control and won easily, you could feel Ana had no solution to turn things around. Currently, I don't see yet that Ana has added something new to her game to change that situation. When both of them are at top form, I still put my money on Maria.

tennisbear7
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Maria has honed that power game so well.

Ana still has miles to go before she is as refined.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Ana can't do anything against Maria on hardcourts, Maria's game is too speed for Ana, Maria hits harder and earlier, sh has better shots, so far. She can find angles than Ana can't, with her backhand and her forehand. Ana can't play her game when she faces Maria, did you see her 2 previous meetings:rolleyes: Ana was lost, she tried to play at same speed as Maria what she can't do.
Ana will never be better than Maria, deal with it.:wavey:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Ana can't do anything against Maria on hardcourts, Maria's game is too speed for Ana, Maria hits harder and earlier, sh has better shots, so far. She can find angles than Ana can't, with her backhand and her forehand. Ana can't play her game when she faces Maria, did you see her 2 previous meetings:rolleyes: Ana was lost, she tried to play at same speed as Maria what she can't do.

I disagree on that! At the YEC Ana simply ran out of gas and Maria had rested a lot but worked her ass off during that time. In Australia Maria played her best tennis in years! Still Ana was close but it were her nerves that let her down! Still she came pretty close.
Maria already proved herself on Grass and Hardcourts but I have no doubt that Ana will do the same this year or in 2009. Thus far Maria was the favourite in there meetings but that is likely to change now that Ana has won a GS and got that tremendous boost of confidence!

Sharapower
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
In Australia Maria played her best tennis in years!

Probably

Still Ana was close but it were her nerves that let her down! Still she came pretty close.

Quite not, and her nerves were okay, she just got outplayed. It was rather Masha who was a bit nervous during the first set. During the second, Ana was lost on the court.

CORIA01
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I Think That Ana Will Be A Better Player Than Maria Cos She Has More Variety

Il Primo!
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
This rivalry is made up IMO. Maria's way superior to Ana but on clay where Ana's actually the favorite.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I would say we just have to wait and see! Maybe we'll get a wimby, olympics or US Open final between the two of them. I'm actually curious to see how Ana's game will fit the faster courts this year and how Maria will do when not being hold back by this goddamn shoulder injurie of hers!

Sharapowerr
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Mria hits the ball flatter then Ana, her backhand is better , her drive volleys are amazing, i think Maria s forehad is improved a lot and mentally tougher.. I think on clay Ana would win because The only minus is Maria s movement (but also improved) on hardcourt Maria willoutplay Ana look at the YEC 2007 Ana had no chance.

So Disrespectful
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ana can't handle any girl hitting harder than herself.

ce
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
:spit:

tennisbear7
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Ana can't handle any girl hitting harder than herself.

Like Daniela at AO? :)

So Disrespectful
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Like Daniela at AO? :)

Exactly. Before nerves took over, Daniela proved how useless Ana is when she's not the one dictating play. The thing is, it's really not much of an issue because she hits the ball so hard that there are only a few girls who can potentially overpower Ana. If she ran into Serena or Maria in top form for example, I think she would not be able to handle their balls.

But she has already achieved so much at an early age, and she will probably dismiss my theory as she gains experience anyway. She's definitely brought some life back into tennis with Henin gone.

powerbackhand
Jun 10th, 2008, 01:42 PM

watever:rolleyes::rolleyes: Ana has beaten maria and their last encounter Ana had her chancess in the 1st set she waas 2 points away when she started playing silly shots plus her forehand wasnt anyway near what it can be in that match.

Andrew Laeddis
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM
On ebig difference between the two is that Sharapova's weakest side (fh) is overwhelmingly better than Ivanovic's weaker side (bh). At the FO Carillo was going on about how many fh winners Ivanovic hit over the tournament as if it were truly surprising. Of course shes gonna have a lot more fh winners because she can barely hit bh winners whereas players like Sharapova,Venus,Serena,and Henin posses the ability to consistently strike winners off both sides. Maria also hits flatter and harder imo which allows her to rush Ivanovic who likes time on her forehand. If they are both playing at or close to their best (which is a rarity on the WTA tour) I give Maria the edge on serve, bh, grunting and mental toughness and Ana on fh, movement, volleys and squeaking. The difference between the two at net (or movement) isn't that big to me. Ivanovic is a little better but neither are particularly skilled at net so it shouldnt make that much of a difference. I also think Sharapova generates better angles on her shot (even on the run). On hardcourt and grass Maria would win and Ana on clay.

Andrew Laeddis
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
watever:rolleyes::rolleyes: Ana has beaten maria and their last encounter Ana had her chancess in the 1st set she waas 2 points away when she started playing silly shots plus her forehand wasnt anyway near what it can be in that match.

She wouldnt have had her chances had Maria not given back her early break advantage. Ivanovic cant play her game when flat deep shots are coming at her and she doesn't get the time needed to set up her forehand and try to avoid hitting backhands. If you can move her around while doing this you have an even better shot of beating her. This is exactly why she lost to Davenport at Miami.

spiritedenergy
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM
She wouldnt have had her chances had Maria not given back her early break advantage. Ivanovic cant play her game when flat deep shots are coming at her and she doesn't get the time needed to set up her forehand and try to avoid hitting backhands. If you can move her around while doing this you have an even better shot of beating her. This is exactly why she lost to Davenport at Indian Wells.

:weirdo:.

DownTheLine21
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
LOL! Every time I log back on here, there's a new "Maria vs. Ana" thread.

Corswandt
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Ana [...] has a bigger game than Maria and bigger weapons

She clearly does, and that's a point that rarely seems to be made in here.

But Ivanovic's serving at this year's RG was nowhere near what it was a year ago in terms of both pace and reliability, and that may end up being a problem at Wimbledon.

Last year, the gap in average speed between Ivanovic's and Sharapova's 1st serve could be as much as 10 km/h. At the AO it was no longer so because Sharapova added some more pace to both her flat 1st serve and to her slider. Right now I have no idea, since in her 4R loss Sharapova was just spinning her 1st serves in often at about 150 km/h.

Sharapova's 2nd serve during the late 2006 SuperMasha Era was scary. It wasn't much different from the 1st. Placement was almost as good, just a wee bit of pace taken off.

Nowadays she's working on hitting proper kick serves, but the one to the deuce court is still a work in progress and during RG it was nowhere to be seen. DFs galore on the other hand were.

Can't agree. Sharapova has a more explosive first step, much better reflexes and anticipation, and can shift directions faster. Even better footwork - notice how she deals with balls hit straight back at her or that bounce low at her feet, balls that Ivanovic by contrast usually fumbles completely or dumps into the bottom of the net. Sharapova can still play high pace rallies much better than Ivanovic.

spiritedenergy
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I think all these power hitters match up are very similar... the one who takes control and pushes the other one behind the baseline or moves her around wins. So basically who hits harder and deeper on that day.

Branimir
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I think that Ana's movement practice, really took out of her strength. She used to serve much harder, and her forehands were so much harder in the past then now, it is easily noticeable. She gained some accuracy to be honest, she hits the lines sometimes, she wasn't able to do that in the past, she was ball basher lol.

Still, Maria has more power in her shots and that can really troublesome Ana. I still believe Maria is much more dominant on hard courts. It may change, but not this year.

Serenita
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Here's the breakdown:

I Agree

DA FOREHAND
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Lol having a dropshot automatically means you now have variety?

hankqq
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Without quoting everyone, here's my responses:

-if you look at the serving stats at slams, you'll see that Ivanovic serves harder than Sharapova on the first serve, although not by much.

-Ivanovic is a better mover than Sharapova. Just look at all the long points Ana won against Jankovic and Safina. Conversely, Sharapova lost most of the long points against Safina, and she would have lost the longer points to Jankovic as well. While defense is not a strength for either Ivanovic or Sharapova, Ivanovic is clearly better at it. Of the women over or nearly 6 feet tall, only Venus and Dementieva move better than Ivanovic. I would say Sharapova is about equal with Vaidisova and Safina, faster than Davenport, Hantuchova, Molik, Bovina and Amanmuradova.

-Ivanovic has a faster and better split-step than Sharapova, which, in addition to having better volleying technique and softer hands at net, is why Ana volleys better than Sharapova.

-On the run, Sharapova obviously has a better backhand, but if she's stretched too far out wide, she'll have to use the weak left hand reply. Most of the time, Ivanovic will do a 1-handed backhand slice on the run because it's safer and will keep her in the point. On the run off the forehand, Ivanovic is much better than Sharapova without question.

-When a ball is hit straight at them, again, it depends on which side. Ivanovic is better at taking little steps to run around the backhand, hence she can hit her forehand out of position better. Safina actually exploited Sharapova's forehand by smacking deep balls at her feet, and a lot of those Sharapova dumped into the net because she couldn't adjust fast enough. Sharapova is better with the backhand if the ball is hit deep right at her.

-In terms of power, again, it depends! Sharapova obviously has more power on the backhand side. No debate there. On the forehand side, while Sharapova hits flatter, Ivanovic gets more power off of it. In a backhand to backhand battle, Sharapova wins; in forehand to forehand, Ivanovic wins.

-The only other advantage I would give to Sharapova that I forgot to mention earlier is on the return of serve: her backhand return of serve is about equal to Ivanovic's forehand return of serve. However, Sharapova's forehand return of serve is better than Ivanovic's backhand return of serve.

Overall, Ivanovic has made many improvements to her game, and I think if she plays well, she'll start beating Sharapova most of the time. In that first set in AO, Ivanovic fought back and was just 2 points from winning it. After that, she collapsed. I hope they play again, and I expect different results!

Matt01
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM

And you will never have a brain, deal with it :wavey:

Mria hits the ball flatter then Ana, her backhand is better , her drive volleys are amazing, i think Maria s forehad is improved a lot and mentally tougher.. I think on clay Ana would win because The only minus is Maria s movement (but also improved) on hardcourt Maria willoutplay Ana look at the YEC 2007 Ana had no chance.

Yeah, nice to see that the funny Maria-Fans are bringing up the YEC 2007 again - "Ana totally outplayed" :lol:

Ana and Maria were both already in the semi-final :rolleyes:, this match had almost no relevance :wavey:

Sharapowerr
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
And you will never have a brain, deal with it :wavey:

Yeah, nice to see that the funny Maria-Fans are bringing up the YEC 2007 again - "Ana totally outplayed" :lol:

Ana and Maria were both already in the semi-final :rolleyes:, this match had almost no relevance :wavey:

No revelance so Ana didn t want to win? come on Maria s serve may be a little slower ( average ) but her shots are harder then Ana s i think Maria s forehand has the same power as Ana s , Ana can t do the drive volleys well, Sharapova s accuracy is better.. I think Ivanovic have a very small shot against Maria on grass/carpet/hardcourt.

Sharapowerr
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
And i think comparing Maria s game with Ana s is a joke it s like comparing Graff with Vaidisova.. or Maria vs Peer or Serena vs Mattek.. ( just examples) But we ll see..

DownTheLine21
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:10 PM
And i think comparing Maria s game with Ana s is a joke it s like comparing Graff with Vaidisova.. or Maria vs Peer or Serena vs Mattek.. ( just examples) But we ll see..

LOL! Please stop while you're ahead.

AcesHigh
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
LOL! Please stop while you're not too far behind.

Corrected it for you ;)

Matt01
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
No revelance so Ana didn t want to win? come on Maria s serve may be a little slower ( average ) but her shots are harder then Ana s i think Maria s forehand has the same power as Ana s , Ana can t do the drive volleys well, Sharapova s accuracy is better.. I think Ivanovic have a very small shot against Maria on grass/carpet/hardcourt.

Ana has better footwork than Pova, better slices, better volleys. :wavey:

There are reasons why Ana is currently #1 and Pova is only #2 :cool:

DownTheLine21
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Corrected it for you ;)

That's better. Some of Sharapower's points make a little sense, but most of it is off-the-wall ridiculous. Looking at both women, it seems obvious to me that Ivanovic has better footwork and variety (slices, volleys, etc.).

okayawesome21
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
yay, another maria vs. ana thread. i would normally ask "are these ever going to end" but i already know the answer, and it is a big NO. i would love to see a match where both are playing at their best.

hablo
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:34 PM
When it comes to speed, I'm not sure that Ana is actually faster than Sharpie. Can't wait to see them play each other ... but from the matches I've seen they've both made quite a bit of improvement on their movement around the court but I was really impressed with Sharpie's movement in getting to drop shots on clay.

Anyhow, the rivalry between both fans bases, on this website, is quite entertaining. :devil:

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Ivanovic's "variety" is ineffective. Both Ivanovic and Sharapova rely almost exclusively on the power of their groundstrokes. In that area Sharapova completely and utterly owns Ivanovic. Only on clay, where Ivanovic gets more time to prepare her shots, does she have a chance to defeat Sharapova. On other surfaces the H2H will be extremely lopsided.

Corswandt
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM
-Ivanovic is a better mover than Sharapova. Just look at all the long points Ana won against Jankovic and Safina. Conversely, Sharapova lost most of the long points against Safina, and she would have lost the longer points to Jankovic as well.

Not really. If you look closely, Ivanovic ends up losing the overwhelming majority of those points in which she's scrambling from side to side. Not so against Jankovic, I know, but on that SF Jankovic couldn't put a ball away to save her life (too scared of making UEs - plus she has no kill shot and no volleys, which often makes closing out rallies very difficult).

While defense is not a strength for either Ivanovic or Sharapova, Ivanovic is clearly better at it. Of the women over or nearly 6 feet tall, only Venus and Dementieva move better than Ivanovic. I would say Sharapova is about equal with Vaidisova and Safina, faster than Davenport, Hantuchova, Molik, Bovina and Amanmuradova.

Ivanovic only looks like a good mover when she's playing puffballers like Jankovic. I mean, pit Sharapova against say Sugiyama and she'll amaze you with her court coverage. In the final, whenever Safina got her first strike in she was able to hit through Ivanovic at will.

But Ivanovic is a considerably better defender than Sharapova in the sense that she can get back into play virtually anything she can get her racquet on.

-Ivanovic has a faster and better split-step than Sharapova, which, in addition to having better volleying technique and softer hands at net, is why Ana volleys better than Sharapova.

Saying that somebody volleys better than Sharapova is borderline damning with faint praise. Sharapova could use a shovel instead of a racquet when she's up there and the result would be pretty much the same. If that's all that you mean, then of course you're right.

But if you're implying that Ivanovic has mad volleying skillz, I'd have to disagree. It only looks that way because Ivanovic often uses conventional volleys for those easy putaways around the net where the Florida bashers (this includes Jankovic) nearly always use a drive volley. Hit a ball at Ivanovic's feet, or drill a proper passing shot at her, and she'll do nothing with it.

-On the run, Sharapova obviously has a better backhand, but if she's stretched too far out wide, she'll have to use the weak left hand reply. Most of the time, Ivanovic will do a 1-handed backhand slice on the run because it's safer and will keep her in the point. On the run off the forehand, Ivanovic is much better than Sharapova without question.

I don't think Ivanovic is particularly good at hitting big on the run, or even just when slightly out of balance, from any side. Once forced on to the defensive, she rarely is able to counterattack. And to put Ivanovic on the defensive, all you have to do is to hit the ball away from her; in many of those points where she's hunched over and scrambling or ends up having to slice the ball back, most other players would have reached the ball in time not to have to scramble for it, or to slice it, to begin with. She's also remarkably easy to wrongfoot due to her difficulty in quickly changing directions and poor anticipation. Sharapova not as much. She can cover the court surprisingly well by taking very long strides (e.g. when she moves forward), and when she's sharp her first step is good for a player of her size.

-When a ball is hit straight at them, again, it depends on which side. Ivanovic is better at taking little steps to run around the backhand, hence she can hit her forehand out of position better. Safina actually exploited Sharapova's forehand by smacking deep balls at her feet, and a lot of those Sharapova dumped into the net because she couldn't adjust fast enough. Sharapova is better with the backhand if the ball is hit deep right at her.

Ivanovic is lousy at handling balls hit straight back at her, no matter which side. Lena D. hit several of those in the Berlin match and Ivanovic fumbled nearly all of them. Ivanovic is only good at running around the BH when she's dictating.

Overall, Sharapova is better at quickly adjusting her feet and hitting proper drives when on the move. Clay is the exception because Sharapova always seems unsure of her footing there, as if she's afraid to slip.

-The only other advantage I would give to Sharapova that I forgot to mention earlier is on the return of serve: her backhand return of serve is about equal to Ivanovic's forehand return of serve. However, Sharapova's forehand return of serve is better than Ivanovic's backhand return of serve.

Jury still out on ROS effectiveness.

I think that Ivanovic's "all or nothing" ROS is more intimidating. She crushes 2nd serves like nobody else, not even Serena, and often forces her opponents into DFs. But against big servers, all too often her return game will consist on merely swinging away, be it 1st serve or 2nd - which can have disastrous consequences if her opponent holds her nerve.

Against scrubs, Sharapova can spend whole return games cheerfully netting returns but then get the ball back in play when it really matters. She's becoming surprisingly difficult to ace.

Dan23
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:27 AM
There are reasons why Ana is currently #1 and Pova is only #2 :cool:
Yes the main one being Maria only has 15 events on her ranking including 2 poor slam results from the second half of last year.

okayawesome21
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Yes the main one being Maria only has 15 events on her ranking including 2 poor slam results from the second half of last year.

so what. its not anas fault that maria has a bad shoulder. and its not her fault maria did bad at wimbledon and us open last year. ana earned that number 1 spot fair and square after justine retired. im sick and tired of hearing how ana doesnt deserve number 1 and how if justine kept her ranking, she would still be number 1. well she didnt, so get over it. justine wanted to retire on top, so good for her. ana won the french open just like maria won her grand slams...in seven matches. and winning the french open helped her EARN the number 1 ranking.

Mchstnate
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM
We'll see at Wimbledon when Maria gets another whack at her. No Squeaky Shoes this time.

Dan23
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:48 AM
so what. its not anas fault that maria has a bad shoulder. and its not her fault maria did bad at wimbledon and us open last year. ana earned that number 1 spot fair and square after justine retired. im sick and tired of hearing how ana doesnt deserve number 1 and how if justine kept her ranking, she would still be number 1. well she didnt, so get over it. justine wanted to retire on top, so good for her. ana won the french open just like maria won her grand slams...in seven matches. and winning the french open helped her EARN the number 1 ranking.
:unsure: where did I say Ana didnt earn the number 1 rank?
Had Maria not had a shocker of a 2nd half of 2007 she may well have more points, but she doesnt so shes #2. Assuming the 2nd half of this year is less problematic then she can do better. That is irrelevant to Ana in every way.

okayawesome21
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM
:unsure: where did I say Ana didnt earn the number 1 rank?
Had Maria not had a shocker of a 2nd half of 2007 she may well have more points, but she doesnt so shes #2. Assuming the 2nd half of this year is less problematic then she can do better. That is irrelevant to Ana in every way.

o no, im not talking about you. i dont know what happened...once i start typing something, sometimes i just go on a rant about things that are totally not relevant to what i started talking about. i guess whatever i was typing (i have no idea what i was going to say about your original post to tell you the truth) just got me on a rant about all the people saying that ana isnt technically number 1 yet because in reality justine still has more points yada yada yada...im going to stop now before i start ranting again.

Sharapower
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:55 AM
o no, im not talking about you. i dont know what happened...once i start typing something, sometimes i just go on a rant about things that are totally not relevant to what i started talking about. i guess whatever i was typing (i have no idea what i was going to say about your original post to tell you the truth) just got me on a rant about all the people saying that ana isnt technically number 1 yet because in reality justine still has more points yada yada yada...im going to stop now before i start ranting again.

From a Maria-fanatic: Ana Ivanovic is a more-than-decent world #1, 1 GS title + 1 GS runner-up so far this year, hell, what else would anyone need to confirm the legitimacy of Ana's ranking?
It's just a little bit unfortunate that Maria's health prevents her to run a full tennis season, but being healthy is also part of what makes a great champion.
Yet I maintain my point: Ivanovic is yet to prove she's superior a player vs. Sharapova, so let's just wait and see how things evolve. The competition between those two is just starting and it's like going to last many more years; they're only 21 and 20 yo.

morningglory
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:02 AM
We will simply have to see how this rivalry unfolds...
There is still much time for them to add new components to their games
That said, Ana can play well on clay... Maria simply cant (presently).
But Maria's better on the other surfaces.

Donny
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
My simple observation:

Maria > Ana. And this is from someone who likes Ana more.

supergrunt
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Serve: Maria (she hits more aces even though Ana can hit it harder)
Return: =
Forehand: Ana (no question)
Backhand: Sharapova (Ana's has imporved but it still seems like it is just...there you know?)
Volleys: Ana (one again, no question)
Speed: Ana (...no question :p)
Variety: Ana
Mental: Maria
Consitency: Maria (she has her moments but overall I'd say she is more consistent)

Sharapova has more titles and has been more succesful becasue she is mentally stronger and is still not improving as smuch as Ana currently is. Her game is simple and effective while Ana's still has some aspects which can be ammended. Anyways, in terms of shots and tennis prowess they (in my estimation) are tied 4-4.

homogenius
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:19 AM

:help:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Maria is better than Ana at almost every possible thing you can do on court, surface be damned.

The end.

AcesHigh
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Maria is better than Ana at almost every possible thing you can do on court, surface be damned.

The end.

Are you serious? or being sarcastic.

Sharapova is a far better player over the last few years and her win at AO was much more impressive than Ana's RG win. However, Ana has as good a serve or better, the better forehand, better variety and is better at net(which isn't saying much). Sharapova plays well on the bigger points and is better under pressure and has the better backhand, better footwork IMO and anticipation.

However, to say that Sharapova outclasses Ana like some here are saying is an exaggeration.

hankqq
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Obviously, everyone is going to have their own opinion about how Ivanovic's and Sharapova's games match up. One thing we do know is that when these 2 play, there won't be a lot of long rallies, since both will be looking to end the point as quickly as possible.

I definitely think Ivanovic is rapidly closing the gap between her and Sharapova, and the next few times they play I don't think either player will win easily. I think if Ana can stay consistent with her good form, she'll make life tough for Sharapova.

Matt01
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Yeah, and those 2 bad Slam results from last year did only happen because of her injury, right? :p

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah, and those 2 bad Slam results from last year did only happen because of her injury, right? :p

You need to shut up, you hate Sharapova that's the reason why you don't give credit to her victories because every Ana's fan can tell you, Ana couldn't do anything against Maria during YEC, Maria was on fire and when she is, Ana is just lost, don't think Ana didn't play in this match, Maria was just too strong for her and you know that.
And don't tell me Ana could win the first set during OZ, Ana break Maria back because Maria made 3DF in 1 game, Ana didn't do anything to break back, anyway, nothing could stop Maria in OZ, she didn't lose a set in te whole tournament and crushed everyone.:wavey:

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:19 AM
In Australia Maria played her best tennis in years! Still Ana was close but it were her nerves that let her down! Still she came pretty close.
Maria already proved herself on Grass and Hardcourts but I have no doubt that Ana will do the same this year or in 2009. Thus far Maria was the favourite in there meetings but that is likely to change now that Ana has won a GS and got that tremendous boost of confidence!

Maria didn't play her best tennis against Ana 16WINNERS 16UE, Maria can do better than that, look at their meeting during YEC :lol::lol:
And please, stop right now, Ana won a GS, so what, she won on clay and it's not a fast surface, you really think she's gonna beat Maria on hardcourts because she won a GS, I'm so scared:rolleyes:

spiritedenergy
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Maria didn't play her best tennis against Ana 16WINNERS 16UE, Maria can do better than that, look at their meeting during YEC :lol::lol:
And please, stop right now, Ana won a GS, so what, she won on clay and it's not a fast surface, you really think she's gonna beat Maria on hardcourts because she won a GS, I'm so scared:rolleyes:

delusional.:wavey:

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
delusional.:wavey:

Oh god, some people here are going to cry during hardcourts season an you'll be the first. :wavey:

spiritedenergy
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Oh god, some people here are going to cry during hardcourts season. Wait and See.

yes, you:haha:

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM
yes, you:haha:

Mark your word.

Sharapowerr
Jun 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
First of all the game isn t based on the weapons also on how you hit the ball Maria hits flatter and harder her overall game is much better..

Accuracy : Maria
Serve : Maria
Return : Maria
Forehand : Ana but i think on the run Maria
Backhand : Maria on the run also Maria
Volleys : Ana
Drivevolleys : Maria by far
Speed : Ana
Variety : Ana
Mental : Maria
Consitency : Maria
Power : Maria

Shoulderpova
Jun 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Ana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Maria
This is the only conclusion many posters here want to come to. Why don't we just point it out for them and end this pointless discussion?:shrug:

jegood
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
The fact is that Ana's game has been constantly improving. I was actually surprised how good she was playing at RG. Her game really looked good and I expect her to play better this year on hardcourts too. Now, would it be good enough to actually beat Maria, Serena or Venus (if they all show up in a good form)? Maybe it wouldn't, but like I said I think she will have more chances against them this year than last. Let's not forget Elena Dementieva, one more player that I see as a real threat to Ana, since Ana hasn't been able to beat Elena not once so far. So, that means that I still concider Maria to be a favourite in a match against Ana, but I don't expect that situation to last for much longer.

DownTheLine21
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Why are "drive volleys" a category? They're very prevalent in Maria's game, but isn't that just because she doesn't do overheads? Perhaps you should make "overheads" a category, too.

Kipling
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Why not just enjoy the rivalry without turning it into a "My Dad can beat up your Dad" argument?

SharapovaFan16
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Oh god, some people here are going to cry during hardcourts season an you'll be the first. :wavey:

For christ sake will you just SHUT THE FUCK UP! You aren't doing the Maria fan base any favors. You make most of us look bad. Shut your fucking trap, please!

SharapovaFan16
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:44 PM
First of all the game isn t based on the weapons also on how you hit the ball Maria hits flatter and harder her overall game is much better..

Accuracy : Maria
Serve : Maria
Return : Maria
Forehand : Ana but i think on the run Maria
Backhand : Maria on the run also Maria
Volleys : Ana
Drivevolleys : Maria by far
Speed : Ana
Variety : Ana
Mental : Maria
Consitency : Maria
Power : Maria

You SHUT THE FUCK UP 2!!! You and Mashaaaaaafan have gotten on my last nerve. Root for Maria in complete silenct please. I know I'm not the only one from the fan base annoyed by a majority of your posts.

Matt01
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
You need to shut up, you hate Sharapova that's the reason why you don't give credit to her victories because every Ana's fan can tell you, Ana couldn't do anything against Maria during YEC, Maria was on fire and when she is, Ana is just lost, don't think Ana didn't play in this match, Maria was just too strong for her and you know that.
And don't tell me Ana could win the first set during OZ, Ana break Maria back because Maria made 3DF in 1 game, Ana didn't do anything to break back, anyway, nothing could stop Maria in OZ, she didn't lose a set in te whole tournament and crushed everyone.:wavey:

Why didn't you simply answer my question instead of spreading your usual bull crap? :p

So, do you think that Pova's embarrassing Slam defeats from last year came beacause of injury? A Yes or No will suffice. :wavey:

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Why didn't you simply answer my question instead of spreading your usual bull crap? :p

So, do you think that Pova's embarrassing Slam defeats from last year came beacause of injury? A Yes or No will suffice. :wavey:

Honestly, during OZ, NO
During FO, YES
Wimbledon, NO
US Open. YES

mboyle
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Maria has the mind to be an all time great. Ana really doesn't. Their games are very similar. But when the going gets tough, Maria will pull it out more often. Ana lost her first two slam finals. Maria won her first two.

The Daviator
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM

The end.

No.

Where are the Kuznetsova-Sharapova threads? Or the Jankovic-Kuznetsova ones? This is getting really boring.

Ana will beat Maria heaps of times, and vice versa, they're gonna be at the top for the next decade, Ana can play and win on all surfaces, it's yet to be seen whether Maria can.

Kworb
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Maria and Ana will be a rivalry like Federer and Davydenko.

Adal
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
No.

Where are the Kuznetsova-Sharapova threads? Or the Jankovic-Kuznetsova ones? This is getting really boring.

Ana will beat Maria heaps of times, and vice versa, they're gonna be at the top for the next decade, Ana can play and win on all surfaces, it's yet to be seen whether Maria can.
Sorry, but Maria's clay results aren't worse than Ana's grass results ;)

Matt01
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Maria has the mind to be an all time great. Ana really doesn't. Their games are very similar. But when the going gets tough, Maria will pull it out more often. Ana lost her first two slam finals. Maria won her first two.

You forgot to mention what happened at Maria's and Ana's third Grand Slam Final :angel:

Yeah, and Maria will be Davydenko...

The Daviator
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM

When did Davy beat Fed 6-2 6-1? I must have missed that one.

Sorry, but Maria's clay results aren't worse than Ana's grass results ;)

Ana winning Wimby is more probable than Maria winning RG ;)

Kworb
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
When did Davy beat Fed 6-2 6-1? I must have missed that one.

I said "will be" not "has been" :p

Apoleb
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Ana's mental strength is one of the most underrated things in tennis nowadays. I'll be interested in the 3 set match record, in comparison to her win/loss overall record. Just watch how she reached the Wimbledon semi last year, or how she finished off Venus in Australia on her serve game when Venus had breakpoints, or how she played that 4-5 game against Jankovic in the semi. Her only problem is consistency, which comes with maturity. She's already improved heaps on that, but there is still room to keep it tight all through out the match.

Shoulderpova
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You forgot to mention what happened at Maria's and Ana's third Grand Slam Final :angel:

Yeah, and Maria will be Davydenko...

you're making yourself look worse :help:

The Daviator
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I said "will be" not "has been" :p

Not possible since Davy has never beaten Fed, and Ana has 2 wins over Pova. And don't try and compare Fed and Maria Sharapova please :help:

Adal
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Ana winning Wimby is more probable than Maria winning RG ;)
Well this is only opinion, there are no stats proving it to be that way :) I think they both still have to prove they can win on many surfaces. Ana hasn't done really well on Rebound Ace or Indoors ;) And Maria struggles with clay a lot.

Kworb
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Not possible since Davy has never beaten Fed, and Ana has 2 wins over Pova. And don't try and compare Fed and Maria Sharapova please :help:
What I meant was that Ana will never beat Maria again, I guess I simply should've posted that, as it is too hard to understand for some. :o

But knowing my predictions I will eat my words before the end of the year :sad:

goldlion
Jun 12th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Having a large variety but lack of execution is useless. Ana has it but she just needs to merge them into her game more smoothly.

I like Maria practising a little different techniques prior to the grand slams.

Talking of mentality, Ana is way behind Maria. She needs the team support too much and always seeks for the cheerings.