PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone

hyuj
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hey all how are ya?

Im new here and also new to tennis. Im starting to get interested in tennis. and ive got 2 questions:

1. in soccer, they have fifa player of the year award, and also formal awards where they actually GO to thsoe awards wearing formal unifrom and all that. In tennis, what kind of awards can we attend?

2. i checked the atp website, i realized theres actually quite a lot of tournaments, its like nonstop. However, do pro pplayers go to every single one of these, or just the ones with big $?

basically thats it i guess. hope to make new freidns here =D

Cya!

iPatty
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
1. I don't really know if the awards have a specific name, but there is a banquet held every year where awards are given out on both the WTA and ATP tours.

2. The top male players usually just play the Slams, Masters Series events, and a few other events throughout the year. Unless you are Nikolay Davydenko, who loves playing every week of the year. The top women play the Slams, the Tier I's, and some Tier II's.

Hope that answered your questions and welcome to the board.

Expat
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hey all how are ya?

Im new here and also new to tennis. Im starting to get interested in tennis. and ive got 2 questions:

1. in soccer, they have fifa player of the year award, and also formal awards where they actually GO to thsoe awards wearing formal unifrom and all that. In tennis, what kind of awards can we attend?

2. i checked the atp website, i realized theres actually quite a lot of tournaments, its like nonstop. However, do pro pplayers go to every single one of these, or just the ones with big $?

Cya!
2. jankovic bartoli hantuchova anna c are all prime examples of players who play a lot to earn their ranking points

Ballbasher
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Welcome :wavey:
1.Yes there're awards in different categories given to the winner during the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami
2.Rather the big ones ;)

101Tennisfan4eva
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
2. they ussually go to the big turnaments with big $, unless its jankovic who geos to practically every tournament(she deosn't like to practice much).

101Tennisfan4eva
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
2. What Federer did this year was he went to a small tournament that he was sure to win because he hadn't won anything.....so he had a title.

gmokb
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hey welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

kwilliams
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Welcome.

Mileen
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM
You're very welcome!
Also, the top players in WTA are only allowed to play just 1 TIII tourny.

Bartosh
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Welcome :aparty:

Destiny
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Welcome :banana:

hyuj
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:33 AM
wow such a very warm welcome thanks!

So thsoe answers were very helpful....just want to make sure:

1 there IS a banquet/award ceremony where both male and female players are given awards? Is there a name for it? Also, what time of the year is it held?
Is there only 1 award in the whole year?

2. Is it embarassing to go to EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT? Doesnt that make u sound greedy?

Thanks everyoneee!

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Hey all how are ya?

Cya!

Hi! :wavey: and Welcome!

I hope you enjoy it here and make lots of friends!

I do suggest that if you have strong opinions, develop a thick skin! ;)

Chunchun
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM
wow such a very warm welcome thanks!

So thsoe answers were very helpful....just want to make sure:

1 there IS a banquet/award ceremony where both male and female players are given awards? Is there a name for it? Also, what time of the year is it held?
Is there only 1 award in the whole year?

2. Is it embarassing to go to EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT? Doesnt that make u sound greedy?

Thanks everyoneee!

1. That award is held around Miami everyyear, like second half of March. They have awards like player of the year, comeback award, best improvement, best doubles team, etc. Not sure about the name tho.

2. Not really but when you look at JJ next week, she will rise to no.2 thanks for that she plays a lot and earn her an extra 18th tourny points. :devil:

Any favourite player? Note: here fans are devided into Ana's and Maria's. Make your choice ;)

Ballbasher
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:41 AM
It's not blaming,but it might lead to some hate as you might get an overarchieved ranking ;)

hyuj
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
thanks all

any website where i can find info on the awards in miami?

or any videos on youtube about it?

Thanks!

Ballbasher
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_Awards

Ballbasher
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/awards-ceremony.jpg
Last Year's Winners

Golovinjured.
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Welcome :wavey:

hyuj
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but its only for females?

Im looking for an award thats is both for males and females. A banquet that both males and females attend.

Thank you

hankqq
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
hyuj, I forgot to say Welcome! :wavey:

The Kaz
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM
1. That award is held around Miami everyyear, like second half of March. They have awards like player of the year, comeback award, best improvement, best doubles team, etc. Not sure about the name tho.

2. Not really but when you look at JJ next week, she will rise to no.2 thanks for that she plays a lot and earn her an extra 18th tourny points. :devil:

Any favourite player? Note: here fans are devided into Ana's and Maria's. Make your choice ;)

Not me...I dislike both!

Im part of the Janky clan :devil:

hyuj
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, so that award is only for females? I think i made it clear im looking for the one with both males and females = )

Peace and thanks = )

hyuj
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I apologize if im being very annoying, but still im loking for an award/banquet where both male players and female players go to the same banquet. Does such award exist? Im not talking about "verbal" awards such as best player of the year bla bla, im talking like the one in football, fifa player of the year, because there, many soccerplayers wear formal uniform and attend fifa award/banquet. do we have 1 in tennis, where both male and female players attend?

I hope its clear this time = )

EDIT: whats the most prestigious awards a tennis player can get? like in soccer its fifa player of the year.

hyuj
Jun 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
1. I don't really know if the awards have a specific name, but there is a banquet held every year where awards are given out on both the WTA and ATP tours.

2. The top male players usually just play the Slams, Masters Series events, and a few other events throughout the year. Unless you are Nikolay Davydenko, who loves playing every week of the year. The top women play the Slams, the Tier I's, and some Tier II's.

Hope that answered your questions and welcome to the board.

iPatty, your answer to question one is almost clear, however when you said both wta and atp players, is it different banquets or the same banquet for both males and females?

Ballbasher
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Both are held in Miami ;)

hyuj
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Both are held in Miami ;)

yes, but there are only 2 questions left now.:p

1. Is it only in Miami? No other tennis awards? Only 1 and that is located in Miami?

2. Is the banquet held separate? I mean are there 2 banquets, one full of males and other full of females? or all in the same room?

hyuj
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Someone please answer and then i promise i WILL stop. its a simple question = )

Thanks and peace = )

Ballbasher
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
1.Yes only in Miami,no other awards ;)
2.I think they're held on the same evening.It was in the past not sure how it worked this year.

Utautai
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Isn't there the International Tennis Federation Awards?
http://www.itftennis.com/abouttheitf/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=18771

ITF Champions for 2007 were singles champions Roger Federer (SUI) and Justine Henin (BEL), doubles champions Bob & Mike Bryan (USA) and Cara Black (ZIM) and Liezel Huber (USA), junior champions Ricardas Berankis (LTU) and Ursula Radwanska (POL), wheelchair champions Shingo Kunieda (JPN) and Esther Vergeer (NED), who collected her trophy for a record eighth year.

RayB
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM
2. the International Tennis Federation holds an award night every year during Roland Garros for both the men and women. It honours best male an female tennis players as well as juniors, best doubles teams, and wheelchair tennis players. Federer has won it for men's the past couple of years. He went to the ceremony this year. Justine wasn't able to go.

There is also the Laureaus Sports Award, which is for all sports not just tennis. But this year the big winners happened to be tennis players - Roger and justine.

hyuj
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Thank YOU!!!!

thats what i wanted to hear hahahaha

So RayB, if it is during roland garros, where is the latest one? It just finished a few days ago right? WHere is the award?

Thank God for ITF for that awards hahaha

Golovinjured.
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Just a question. You say you're just beginning to be a fan of tennis, but from what I've heard it seems as though you're only interested in awards ceremonies and players being all glammed up, rather than the game itself, and I assume your 11 posts, for the most part, were in this one thread. :shrug: Why are the awards nights so important to you, a tennis 'fan'?

hyuj
Jun 12th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Well, a motivation.

so yeah, where is the latest one in roland garros?

jbeacinu
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Not me...I dislike both!

Im part of the Janky clan :devil:

taken right out of my mouth =]:wavey:

jbeacinu
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM
welcome too

RayB
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Thank YOU!!!!

thats what i wanted to hear hahahaha

So RayB, if it is during roland garros, where is the latest one? It just finished a few days ago right? WHere is the award?

Thank God for ITF for that awards hahaha

The ITF ceremony for this year, took place in the first week (if memory serves me right) of Roland Garros.

hyuj
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks!