PDA

View Full Version : Is there a player, who doesn't play grass court tournaments??

markhingis
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
and skips the grass season??

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
zuluaga has done to prepare for her wedding if I remember correctly

vadin124
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
and skips the grass season??

i'm not sure...

however, Schnyder SHOULD do this every year...since she is about effective on grass as she is a big blonde ball-bashing babe

G&R
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
maybe hantuchova but i hope she recovers from injury and plays wimbledon

Harvs
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM
maybe hantuchova but i hope she recovers from injury and plays wimbledon

i dont think they mean injury-wise... i think they mean like in the mens game how some claycourters dont play the grass season coz theyre so terrible on it, they just dont play it...

i dont think this happens on the womens circuit... at all?

Dawson.
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
domachowska did it last year, but im not sure if it was down to injury :shrug:

Elldee
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
i'm not sure...

however, Schnyder SHOULD do this every year...since she is about effective on grass as she is a big blonde ball-bashing babe

Well, she got to the last 16 of the biggest grass court tournament last year.

lympyisthebest
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
i'm not sure...

She reached the 4th rd last year. Grass is her worst surface, but she's better than most girls.

LegionArgentina
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Mariana Duque Marino could skip the grass season this year.
Marta Marrero will do it too.

Vulturepova
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Dokic does most years now, but then she has been known to often skip the entire season.

switz
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Patty never plays lead ups to Wimbledon anymore. there was one year where she made big statements about skipping the whole grass season but then she lost early to Shinubo Asagoe at Roland Garros and ended up taking a wildcard :o

Patty isn't that bad on grass she just has had a terrible attitude in the past and basically tanked. She finally stopped acting like a baby last year and made the 4th round beating some fairly handy grass court players in Vinci and A Bondarenko. Her forehand is not suited to grass but then again neither Xavier Malisse's and he was within a couple of points from the final one year. If Patty serves well she's difficult to break on grass. Her backhand is also less exposed because her slice is more effective.

It would not shock me if she gets bounced in round 1 this year but if her heart is in it and she gets a decent draw she is capable of making another run.

danieln1
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Dokic does most years now, but then she has been known to often skip the entire season.

:lol:

Renalicious
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Serena and Venus.

Slutati
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Tatiana Golovin:rolleyes:

MakarovaFan
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Patty never plays lead ups to Wimbledon anymore. there was one year where she made big statements about skipping the whole grass season but then she lost early to Shinubo Asagoe at Roland Garros and ended up taking a wildcard :o

Patty isn't that bad on grass she just has had a terrible attitude in the past and basically tanked. She finally stopped acting like a baby last year and made the 4th round beating some fairly handy grass court players in Vinci and A Bondarenko. Her forehand is not suited to grass but then again neither Xavier Malisse's and he was within a couple of points from the final one year. If Patty serves well she's difficult to break on grass. Her backhand is also less exposed because her slice is more effective.

It would not shock me if she gets bounced in round 1 this year but if her heart is in it and she gets a decent draw she is capable of making another run.
Sorry but it was less about her attitude last year.........her 1st AND 3rd round oppenents led 4/1 and 5/1 match points in final set and first round led 6/4 4/1 and 6/4,4/6,5/1;she def. got a lil luck,otherwise she has only made it past 2ND round ONCE past 8 years!!!

47eggs
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Great points, I agree totally with what you are saying. I think it was great how well she did last year at Wimbledon and hopefully, like you say, she will not "act like a baby", because she may not like playing on grass but thats the way the season is and she should get used to it and look at it like she would any other surface: chance to gain ranking points and money +prestige etc.

I hope she puts in a good performance this year too because i'm a big fan and love watching her play. All the best Patty.

Vulturepova
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Yeah I agree with this. She seems to tank most of the time then last year she actually made a go of it and beat a bunch of players I expected her to lose to, actually fighting back in the process. Im sure she has also reached the semis of Brimingham before too.

Although that year she lost to Serra Zanetti then the next year she almost lost again :spit:

Destiny
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Serena and Venus.

True;)

adam_ads_n
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:42 AM
domachowska did it last year, but im not sure if it was down to injury :shrug:

It was the time when she was totally out of form. She was training, and considering quiting tennis.

Jerraj
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Mamić, she is alergic to grass

baleineau
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
conchita martinez deliberately ignored wimbledon and grass as a top-10 player in 1989, 1990 and 1991. then she made SFs in 93 and 95 and won it in 94.

LeRoy.
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Seles did it in 1991 and got a lot of bad press for it including rumors that she was pregnant with Donald Trump's kid :o. Next year the press made a big deal about her grunting and even talked about bringing a gruntometer on court and penalizing her with a point everytime she grunted. Navratilova made a big fuss about it in her SF loss that year and in the finals Seles did not grunt and was not the same player. For the next three years she obviously didn't play Wimbledon(and the entire grass court season) because of the stabbing. :sad:

switz
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Sorry but it was less about her attitude last year.........her 1st AND 3rd round oppenents led 4/1 and 5/1 match points in final set and first round led 6/4 4/1 and 6/4,4/6,5/1;she def. got a lil luck,otherwise she has only made it past 2ND round ONCE past 8 years!!!

well the fact that he came back in both these matches clearly illustrates that her attitude did make a difference. in the past Patty would have thrown in the towel in R1. this time she saw her opponents get tight and capitalised. i watched both those matches and neither Pin or Bonarenko just fell apart once ahead. Schnyder lifted her game.