PDA

View Full Version : Marina Erakovic surge no thanks to NZ Tennis

kittyking
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Erakovic surge no thanks to NZ Tennis

Jun 9, 2008

New Zealand tennis great Chris Lewis claims the national governing body deserves no credit for Marina Erakovic's rise through the world rankings.

It follows Erakovic's Surbiton Trophy win in England and move into the French Open second round.

Lewis believes the only reason she ever got any support was because of the push by the likes of him and Onny Parun for her to get direct funding.

But Tennis New Zealand CEO Steve Walker is refuting talk his organisation is failing to back Erakovic's bid for the Olympics.

Erakovic has moved up to 64th in the latest world rankings, meaning she's in the list of athletes eligible for selection.

Walker says they're behind her and have had a discussion with the Olympic Committee as well as a written submission to prove it.

Walker says her recent win in England, along with the opponents she's played and the fact the football team is going to Beijing are good grounds for selection.

----------------------------------------------------------

Don't get me wrong, I have alot of respect for our National tennis association and they are doing alot of good work to help our top juniors now..........but I completely agree with Chris Lewis and I'm very pleased that he's spoken out.

Tennis NZ funds a number of players who are over 25 years old or who are 18-25 and never been in the top 500. In my opinion this needs to change.

Mana
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Tennis New Zealand suck a fat cock IMO. Great article :) Thanks for posting :yeah:

I have been saying it for years.

Jakeev
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Geez who else but Marina would they choose for the Olympics besides Marina? Hell, how long has it been since a New Zealander was ranked 64 in the world?

kittyking
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Geez who else but Marina would they choose for the Olympics besides Marina? Hell, how long has it been since a New Zealander was ranked 64 in the world?

Well gathering that there has been only about 5 (could be less :scared:) ladies from here in the last 80 years....

I think 1991, but could be 1990. Belinda Cordwell competed at the 1988 games, lost in the first round.

Jakeev
Jun 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Well gathering that there has been only about 5 (could be less :scared:) ladies from here in the last 80 years....

I think 1991, but could be 1990. Belinda Cordwell competed at the 1988 games, lost in the first round.

Just seems like it would be a no brainer. Outside the two other girls in your sig and Leanne Baker, the only obvious Olympic choice would be Erakovic.

ZAK
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
She's the only one eligible. The choice isn't between her and someone else, its been her or no one.

kittyking
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
She's the only one eligible. The choice isn't between her and someone else, its been her or no one.

Basically the situation this year is that the NZOC (our Olympic Committee) has decided to stop a number of athletes from competing at the games, even after athletes have qualified for them.

There has been something in the range of 20 athletes stopped so far ranging from Table Tennis, to Sprinting, to Fencing. They call it cutting cost.......yet then they allowed our entire Womens Soccer Team to compete (who are ranked something like 90 in the world!!!).