PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Dokic, unranked to 225th in 6 months

So Disrespectful
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Successful comeback so far, or should she have achieved more already?

Shakira4000
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Li Na went from unranked to #80 in six months back in 2004 so I guess this isn't a big deal.

southpaw58
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:19 AM
What was Hingis' rank? in 2006.

Well I'm just happy that Jelena looks to be committing to this comeback opposed to disappearing. Good Luck Jelena!

So Disrespectful
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Li Na went from unranked to #80 in six months back in 2004 so I guess this isn't a big deal.

We're not comparing her to a youngster who had not even played a tour event, her situation is much more complicated. Dokic went from unranked to being 37th in a similar period at the beginning of her career also, but for a girl who has not been in the top 100 since 2004, I think she's made a good comeback.

jd4eva
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I think the more significant statistic is the number of tournaments she's played, which is 7.

Shane54
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hopefully, she will comeback with a better attitude. One of the worst in tennis. Some of the rudest, unsportsmanlike comments in her post match interviews. Especially, after a loss(Rita Kuti Kis-classic Jelena)
But since she is not a GS champ, she gets by with it.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I think the more significant statistic is the number of tournaments she's played, which is 7.
Exactly.

And yes, it's been a very successful comeback so far this year. Her record on the year is 23-4, including 2 ITF titles and a few wins over Top 100 opponents (though she's been mostly on the ITF Tour). She's now ranked high enough to gain direct entry into US Open quallies, and that was one of her goals. Ultimately, she's displayed a level of commitment that's been missing for years. I'm very proud of her and I just hope she can keep up her work ethic, cause she's heading in the right direction.

Come on, Jelena :hearts:

Sexysova
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:01 AM
omfg :D for sure it's a great comeback for her but I just woke up and voted NO :tape::tape::tape: I meant YES, sry to all :lol:

Pebbles
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Go Jelena! :D

Jeff
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Yes, definitely it is successful. To go from the position she was in before and the state of mind she was in before, to winning two ITFs this year and being 225 now is a great achievement. I honestly believe, though, that she is capable of doing much, much more within time. Jelena is too good of a player to stop at 225, so for now it is successful, but longterm she should be moving up and I think she will if her motivation remains.

^bibi^
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:10 AM
It's quite successful, but not much of a comeback :shrug:

markhingis
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hingis did much better but she was awarded WCs to most of tourneys so that helped. Anyway, it's a good comeback IMO.

Harvs
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM
she could be a lot higher if she had played in those 3 or so months she didnt... but its certainly looking very good the way she is going:)

the jamierbelyea
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
We're not comparing her to a youngster who had not even played a tour event, her situation is much more complicated. Dokic went from unranked to being 37th in a similar period at the beginning of her career also, but for a girl who has not been in the top 100 since 2004, I think she's made a good comeback.

The parallels are much stronger even though not the same. Na Li is no youngster, she's actually older then Jelena..

Na Li was top 200 about before she left tour, for 2 years, and came back in 2004 and did her result. Of course she didnt go from top 5 to unranked, but she still had some success...

Jakeev
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
This is the best Jelena has done since she nearly left the tour in obscurity. So you have to give her props for trying to work her butt off and get back some glory.

Her biggest problem, still, is her head. That's why I think it's taking her longer to get back to the top. Regardless of what happened to her physically in Rome last week, she never would have lost matches to a player like Tax Garbin (and no absolute disrespect to her) when she was at her best.

Jelena has proven she can still beat women in the Top 100. Doing it consistently though looks like it's still gonna take more time.

Just Do It
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Dude, she had a protected ranking, Dokic had to play challengers and plus she actually had a puse of 3 months between Australian summer and European spring.

Dawson.
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM
been a good comeback, but there no way she'll get back to top 100

Dawson.
Jun 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Dude, she had a protected ranking, Dokic had to play challengers and plus she actually had a puse of 3 months between Australian summer and European spring.

she didnt have a protected ranking. she (like dokic) played challengers and won them. If anything, dokic has had more help, what with all the wildcards into qualifying for big events (AO)

markdelaney
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM
we can only really decide if she plays a full year. She looks like she could fit somewhere between 80-160 in the world at the moment. Keep playing !

Freakan
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
she didnt have a protected ranking. she (like dokic) played challengers and won them. If anything, dokic has had more help, what with all the wildcards into qualifying for big events (AO)

She was very impressive in her comeback but you also have to notice that Asian challengers have the weakest fields in the world.

DownTheLine21
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I think it's been successful. Where is she playing next? For some reason, I'm really afraid that, after that injury against Garbin, we may not see her for another year or so.

homogenius
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
If she stays commited she'll be back in top100.I thought it was finished after she disappeared once again in the spring but she seems motivated now so I hope she'll be succesfull in her comeback.

the jamierbelyea
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
She was very impressive in her comeback but you also have to notice that Asian challengers have the weakest fields in the world.

They are very weak, but she did also win a Tier III in her 8th tournament back, and did very well in a Tier II before that.. all coming from unranked.
http://www.wta96.com/wiki/lresults.php?aar=2004&spnr=1349

Regardless, I am rooting for Jelena, but I wouldn't call this comeback a success. I think it's improvement, but I would hold Jelena to a higher degree. It's too bad she went inactive from Feb-May or what not.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM
It's not a success yet, but it's been a success so far. :shrug: No denying that. As jd4eva mentioned earlier, she doesn't have many tournaments on the computer this year, and yet she's already made considerable jumps and has a very good win-loss record on the year.

If she keeps up her level of motivation and commitment (which is always a big question with Jelena), then I think eventually she'll get to a place where this comeback could be called a success. Maybe not top 10 again, but respectability, definitely.

vadin124
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
when you consider that Hingis went from being unranked to the top 20 in six months back on the tour, and she was gone for much longer than Jelena, coupled with the fact Jelena is a former top 4 player, the comeback is destinctly unimpressive :kiss:

DownTheLine21
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
when you consider that Hingis went from being unranked to the top 20 in six months back on the tour, and she was gone for much longer than Jelena, coupled with the fact Jelena is a former top 4 player, the comeback is destinctly unimpressive :kiss:

When you take the personal circumstances surrounding Jelena's absence into account, this comeback is definitely impressive. Also, Dokic played in January and then only started to play again in May.

Highlandman
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM
It is pretty good, however in future she shouldn't play so many tournaments in a row again. The risk to get an injury is too high for her now.

She already had a couple of very good and Top-100-Wins this year :yeah: On faster surfaces I even see more chances for her than on Clay (Where she played most in 2008 so far). There she also had the couple of very (!) good wins in January.

vadin124
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM
When you take the personal circumstances surrounding Jelena's absence into account, this comeback is definitely impressive. Also, Dokic played in January and then only started to play again in May.

Even so, start calling Jelena's comeback a success when she is once again knocking on the door of the elite or winning titles beyond the ITF level. Until then, and i mean this as a compliment, she has been average in her comeback by her very high standards. At the moment, she is just making up the numbers on the rankings i'm afraid.

I mean, Hingis was only on the tour less than a month and she was taking Clijsters (world No.2) to three sets in a Grand Slam quarterfinal. This kind of result at the moment, is beyond Jelena's wildest dreams...

However, I wish Jelena good luck, and I hope to see her near the top again as I believe there is a chance for players like her to peak once again with the tour being weakened with Henin's retirement

cn ireland
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yes absolutely:bounce:. The fact that she's playing week in week out is successful for a start not to mention the 2 ITF titles and wins over top 100 players.

I do agree that JD is too good to be ranked #225 but hopefully she'll be back to a two digit ranking before the end of the year:hearts:.

Shakira4000
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Li Na had played on the tour before 2004, but she retired for a short period of time in protest of the Chinese federation.

DownTheLine21
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Dokic's "injury"? Also, where is she scheduled to play next?

BartoliBabes
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
yes, but she knows where she belongs and she knows she can still do it

Just Do It
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Dokic's "injury"? Also, where is she scheduled to play next?

Leg injury.

Wimbledon hopefully.

DownTheLine21
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Leg injury.

Wimbledon hopefully.

Is she waiting to play until Wimbledon because of the leg injury, or are there no ITF tournaments for her to enter (or Tier IIIs willing to give her a WC)?

Tennace
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Is she waiting to play until Wimbledon because of the leg injury, or are there no ITF tournaments for her to enter (or Tier IIIs willing to give her a WC)?

Well she withdrew from the one tournament this week because of the injury, and next week is Wimbledon qualies, so she cant play anything between now and then.

DownTheLine21
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well she withdrew from the one tournament this week because of the injury, and next week is Wimbledon qualies, so she cant play anything between now and then.

Thanks. I keep forgetting how little time there is between RG and Wimbledon. As long as the leg is fine, she'll definitely play the Wimbledon qualies, though, right?

Also, when was the last time she played on grass? With the injury, I doubt she'll be able to practice much.

Slutiana
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM
If someone had told me that JD would be in the top 225 by 6 months, I would have knocked them out for jinxing it. You can't compare her with other players. She has so many mental wounds to heal and they still havent yet. But they slowly and surely are and hopefully soon, she will be able to play to the best of her ability again.

Slutati
Jun 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
She is sexy and awesome, so yes this is a successful comeback:p

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Dokic isn't Hingis though, so I don't even get why there's a comparison there. Jelena is a former top 5, but Hingis is a multiple slam champion and has been ranked number one longer than almost anyone, ever. She's always been a better and more accomplished player than Dokic.

Sure, Jelena's climb has been slow and unimpressive compared to Hingis. But that's irrelevant. Considering it's Jelena Dokic we're speaking of (not Martina Hingis), and considering the circumstances and how little she's actually played, it's been very successful thus far.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Also, when was the last time she played on grass?
Wimbledon 2006 quallies.

matty
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Wish her continued success--i like to root for the underdogs! Hope she gets back to top 20-25 and stays there for 3-4 years or more...

delicatecutter
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:23 AM
This has been one of my favorite storylines of the season. Dokic is one of my all-time faves and we haven't seen this level of commitment from her in some time. Therefore, I definitely call this comeback a success. Many players from a similar background abandon tennis altogether, so to see her still motivated and out there playing makes me very happy. Most of all, I want Jelena to do what makes her happy and healthy. But she is such a talented girl and I would love to actually see her playing on the telly again. Hopefully soon. :D

Havok
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
People can't compare this comeback to Hingis' or also Davenport's. Sure Martina and Lindsay rose in the rankings like a rocketship because when they left the tour, their lives weren't fucked up and they left while still carrying excellent ranking positions and results under their belts. Jelena came back from the shithole and basically had to start from scratch and thensome.

Her comeback has been successful up to date, but obviously this comeback will take much longer than just a handful of months. She's shown dedication and the willingness to play these lower ranked events until she gets her ranking to a certain point, then she will start to enter higher tiered events. She needs to do this in order to remain in a positive frame of mind imo. She hasn't played a whole lot of tournaments and she's already ranked 225. By the time the USO comes along, she can easily be hovering around the top 100 ranks or even already be ranked one of the top 100 in the world! Simply by playing these ITF events and griding it out.

Hopefully this injury doesn't halt her progression too much, though.

Dor Y
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM
It's good move from her, in the lasts events she played (ITF) she had some great results :)
Keep going Jelena :yeah:

!Gio!
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Jelena can make it back to the top 100. This is just the beginning, she is still young, people need to have more faith.
Go Jelena!!!

scottsue
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I reckon this is a fantastic comeback! Stay fit and injury free and she hopefully will reach top 100 by years end. I am a bit concerned by this recurring leg injury!

K-Dog
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Here's why your comment makes no sense. You're comparing apples and oranges. On one hand, you have Martina Hingis, a 5 time grand slam singles winner, former world no.1, and someone who's won titles galore. On the other hand, you have Jelena Dokic. She's never won a major, was not in the top 10 for as long as Martina, and who won relatively few titles when compared to Hingis and other top players. Once you understand that logic, you might be able to see the light.

These two players are completely different in terms of everything. Martina played the percentages; Jelena played very high risk. Their achievements are SO unparalleled it isn't even funny. It's no wonder that Martina would get back to the top with the fact that her game revolved around forcing others into mistakes and using a lot of variety versus a player like Dokic that really only knows one speed: fast. Jelena's game was streaky when she was at her best. Now, as she's trying to build her confidence, those streaks are going to be more a part of her game than they were when she played top 4 tennis.

Also, let's not forget that Martina had spent the year prior to her comeback competing in exos, training with some of the top players, and playing World Team Tennis. She even played a small tournament at the beginning of 2005. She got her feet wet before she returned. It wasn't some overnight deal. Martina has/d the connections and funds that Jelena does not have, which is why her comeback might take longer.

Gosh, some people are so dense and can't understand that all situations are different.

~Eclipsed~
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
yes. Can't wait to see where she is in the next 6 months.:D

empressionist
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
personally i'd like some serious team behind this comeback, some sort of support. i don't see it now. she is still surounded by people who have distracted her from tennis in the first place. still i would like her to get back, fully. she was my favorite player before ana and jelenaJ came along, and besides monika of course.