PDA

View Full Version : Who will be #1 after Wimbledon?

Uranus
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Current standings:

1- Ana Ivanovic 4222
2- Maria Sharapova 3806
3- Jelena Jankovic 3755
4- Svetlana Kuznetsova 3565

Points to defend at Birmingham/Eastbourne/'s Hertogenbosch/Wimbledon:

Ana Ivanovic: 484
4222 - 484 = 3738
Playing: Eastbourne, Wimbledon

Maria Sharapova: 240
3806 - 240 = 3566
Playing: Wimbledon

Jelena Jankovic: 210
3755 - 210 = 3545

Svetlana Kuznetsova: 250
3565 - 250 = 3315

Now it seems that it all depends on their respective performances at Wimbledon. If one of those four wins she'll probably get to the top (or stay there, Ana ;)).

Craig.
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Maria, hopefully.

kolan
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
i have a feeling that ana will win wimbledon and retain her no 1 ranking

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Sharapova only has 4th round and 3rd points to defend at the next 2 majors. Then nothing after the USO until the YEC.
So she has a clean run, if keeps playing like she has all year, 30-3.

Topspin2
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Maria :p

Emina.
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
voted for Maria..i'd be very happy for JJ too:hug:

Kworb
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I think it'll be Maria who replaces Henin as current #1 after Wimbledon

LindsayRulz
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Right after Wimbledon I'd say Ivanovic, but I'd say Maria after the US Open.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
If Ana gets a good score at Eastbourne and Maria won't win Wimbledon, then there's a good chance she will stay at 1.
Not that worried about Jelena and Sveta on grass.

faboozadoo15
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Maria, without a doubt. She should do more than a round better at Wimbledon than Ana for sure.

danieln1
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I want Ana to remain, but if Maria wins Wimbledon, she´ll probably be ranked number 1!

homogenius
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Sharapova only has 4th round and 3rd points to defend at the next 2 majors. Then nothing after the USO until the YEC.
So she has a clean run, if keeps playing like she has all year, 30-3.

Between Wimbledon and USO Maria has more points to defend (San Diego, Los Angeles : 555pts) than Ana (275)or even Jelena I think (not sure).
If she can't get the #1 back with Wimbledon, Ana will probably stay n°1 all the summer.

AcesHigh
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Depends on the draw. Venus/Serena could knock Maria out in the quarters, while Ana could avoid Serena, Venus AND Maria which could give her a clear path to the final.

Or Ana could lose in the second round and Maria could win the title. I just don't think it's a definite that Maria will be #1.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Maria :bounce:.

Matt01
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Maria, without a doubt.

:rolleyes:

okayawesome21
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM
i think that its just going to be a race between ana and maria for number 1 for the rest of the year. ana has so much confidence right now and maria just been playing incredibly well all year.

faboozadoo15
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Between Wimbledon and USO Maria has more points to defend (San Diego, Los Angeles : 555pts) than Ana (275)or even Jelena I think (not sure).
If she can't get the #1 back with Wimbledon, Ana will probably stay n°1 all the summer.

Well that's if we're to assume Ivanovic is anywhere near as poficient as Maria on hardcourts and fast surfaces. I don't subscribe to that at all, sorry.

faboozadoo15
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Depends on the draw. Venus/Serena could knock Maria out in the quarters, while Ana could avoid Serena, Venus AND Maria which could give her a clear path to the final.

:yawn: Done yet?

ASP0315
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
honestly i have no clue.
nothing can be said until the wimbledon draw comes out.

sunsfuns
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I don't see how Sveta or Jelena could win Wimbledon. So it's between Ana and Maria. Right now I would estimate odds at 65-35 in favor of Ana :)

Mileen
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I think it'll be Maria who replaces Henin as current #1 after Wimbledon

:worship:

hablo
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Probably Maria.

Dawson.
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
straight after wimbledon it'll be maria
ana will regain it during the US Open series
maria will get it back after the US Open

hankqq
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM
right after Wimbledon, probably Ana.

Sharapova is losing her Birmingham points, while Ana will gain some in Eastbourne. I don't think Sharapova will win Wimbledon either.

During the summer, Sharapova will lose her San Diego points without defending them (since the event no longer exists), so Ana will most likely stay #1 until at least the USO.

Elske
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Ana :hearts: :)

101Tennisfan4eva
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Maria will be no.1 definatly because she will win Wimbledon for the second time.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Current standings:

1- Ana Ivanovic 4222
2- Maria Sharapova 3806
3- Jelena Jankovic 3755
4- Svetlana Kuznetsova 3565

Points to defend at Birmingham/Eastbourne/'s Hertogenbosch/Wimbledon:

Ana Ivanovic: 484
4222 - 484 = 3738

Maria Sharapova: 240
3806 - 240 = 3566

Jelena Jankovic: 210
3755 - 210 = 3545

Svetlana Kuznetsova: 250
3565 - 250 = 3315

Now it seems that it all depends on their respective performances at Wimbledon. If one of those four wins she'll probably get to the top (or stay there, Ana ;)).

Ana will still be #1 if Maria or Jelena fails to win or perform better than Ana in Wimbledon. Kuzzy has a long shot, but she will have to win at Eastborne and capture Wimby to do so...

At the moment, I say (upon 100%) the chances of each player being #1 after Wimby are 40% - 25% - 20% - 15% (Ana - Maria - Jelena - Kuzzy)

Huntress55
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Hopefully Maria :D

AnomyBC
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I think either Maria or one of the Williams sisters will probably win Wimbledon. If Maria wins she'll presumably be #1 and if one of the Williams sisters wins, then Ana will presumably stay #1.

VeeJJ
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Hope JJ does well at Wimby, I'll take a Sf apperance. That would be good. She could take it. Depends on the draw.

kadirelf
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Jankovic

Chance
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
It's between Ana and Maria. Sharapova is more aggressive on grass than Ana, but Ana's confidence must be sky high... Second week of Wimbledon should be exciting if the top 8 are still playing...

AnywhereButHome
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Maria

Polikarpov
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Go Ana! Hold on to that spot 'till the end of the year!

Kovalchuk
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM
same question, Sharapova

Harvs
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
jankovic or maria i think...:)

franny
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM
It all really depends on the draw.

oceandrive
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I think Ana will remain no.1 until the USA open.Grass is a different animal and most of the players are not good on it.If Ana meets Davenport early she will lose,I am sure Lindsay has been practicing hard for Wimbledon.If the rankings remain the same pova is suppossed to play Serena in the qtrs.:tape:

OsloErik
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Or Ana could lose in the second round and Maria could win the title. I just don't think it's a definite that Maria will be #1.

Exactly. I think the draw will be a huge factor, and definitely don't count out Eastbourne either. A good showing for either Kuznetsova or Ivanovic, who aren't defending much in warm up events, can go a long way in locking up the ranking. I wouldn't be stunned if either won Eastbourne (Ana winning Eastbourne would be pretty damn impressive, by the way), but I would be surprised if either won Wimbledon.

I'm predicting Serena wins the title, so at least one of the top 4 seeds isn't getting past the quarters. I also think Azarenka is going to make a deep impact at Wimbledon. Not a final, but maybe a semifinal or quarterfinal. Don't know why, just a feeling.

If I could have my dream draw, the R16 through Final would go:

Ivanovic def. Wozniacki (in three sets so Wozniacki gets a little more confidence!)
Radwanska def. Suarez Navarro (because I want her to be more than a one-hit wonder)
V. Williams def. Golovin
Kuznetsova def. Davenport (because who can complain about this draw?)
Jankovic def. Daniilidou (because I miss her)
S. Williams def. Srebotnik (:devil:)
Mauresmo def. Chakvetadze
Azarenka def. Sharapova

Ivanovic def. Radwanska
Kuznetsova def. V. Williams (three set thriller!)
S. Williams def. Jankovic
Mauresmo def. Azarenka

Kuznetsova def. Ivanovic
Mauresmo def. S. Williams (almost chokes it and shows nerves of steel!)

Kuznetsova def. Mauresmo in a competitive 3 setter where she consolidates an early 3rd set break and wins 6-4.

I think that leaves the #1 to Ivanovic unless Kuznetsova earns more than 150 points more than Ana at Eastbourne...but it'd be interesting! It'd push the range of points for the top 4 players from a 700 point spread to roughly a 300 point spread.

TooBlack
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Exactly. I think the draw will be a huge factor, and definitely don't count out Eastbourne either. A good showing for either Kuznetsova or Ivanovic, who aren't defending much in warm up events, can go a long way in locking up the ranking. I wouldn't be stunned if either won Eastbourne (Ana winning Eastbourne would be pretty damn impressive, by the way), but I would be surprised if either won Wimbledon.

I'm predicting Serena wins the title, so at least one of the top 4 seeds isn't getting past the quarters. I also think Azarenka is going to make a deep impact at Wimbledon. Not a final, but maybe a semifinal or quarterfinal. Don't know why, just a feeling.

Ivanovic def. Wozniacki (in three sets so Wozniacki gets a little more confidence!)
Radwanska def. Suarez Navarro (because I want her to be more than a one-hit wonder)
V. Williams def. Golovin
Azarenka def. Sharapova

Ivanovic def. Radwanska
Mauresmo def. Azarenka

Kuznetsova def. Ivanovic

Kuznetsova def. Mauresmo in a competitive 3 setter where she consolidates an early 3rd set break and wins 6-4.

I think that leaves the #1 to Ivanovic unless Kuznetsova earns more than 150 points more than Ana at Eastbourne...but it'd be interesting! It'd push the range of points for the top 4 players from a 700 point spread to roughly a 300 point spread.

huh? :confused:

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
maria sharapova.

sunsfuns
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM

V. Williams def. Golovin
Azarenka def. Sharapova

Ivanovic def. Radwanska
Mauresmo def. Azarenka

Kuznetsova def. Ivanovic

I think you are a dreamer ;)

IMO from top seeds Kuznetsova is the one most likely to lose before SF...

OsloErik
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I think you are a dreamer ;)

IMO from top seeds Kuznetsova is the one most likely to lose before SF...

Yup, huge dreamer. But, of the four top seeds, she owns the 2nd best grass title!

Sharapowerr
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Maria

RJWCapriati
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Jankovic

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I think Maria will be the new #1 after Wimbledon.

I think (hope/feel) that Serena will win Wimbledon this year, putting her in the top 3 and from then on out, she and Maria will be battling for #1 all the way to the Y.E.C.

Emina.
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think Maria will be the new #1 after Wimbledon.

I think (hope/feel) that Serena will win Wimbledon this year, putting her in the top 3 and from then on out, she and Maria will be battling for #1 all the way to the Y.E.C.

oh! I'd love to see that :hearts::worship: