PDA

View Full Version : Ana's game closer to Seles' or Graf's?

Aloimeh
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I'm not saying Ana's accomplishments are anywhere near those of these two, nor that they will be anywhere near theirs' when she retires, so don't destroy this thead on that count. Of these two, whose game do you think Ana's best approximates? I was thinking that with the power and the groundstrokes it was a bit more like Seles' but people have recently been saying her forehand is one of the best if not THE best today, and that would make her a bit closer to Graf's. Any other player in the past whose game was similar to hers?

Andy.
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Neither Really I find it to be more like Pierce's game

tennisbear7
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Neither, but she does have a Graf-esque forehand.

ASP0315
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:00 AM
the answer is no.
Nowadays nobody plsy the game like graf of seles did. They are just mindless ballbashers.
No offense but clearly many of these girls don't know how to contruct a point properly.
They are good players but their mindset will remain the same "hit the ball as hard as you can."

But yeah serena and venus they too hit the ball hard but they got a big serves and they can finish the point at the net and play some smart tennis. Thats why they won many slams

I don't see the any of the current generation players will reach the level of what grf, seles or navratilova did

Kworb
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Seles. But this is a pointless attempt to compare a transitional top player to two legends.

LindsayRulz
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Graf by miles IMO. She's not really agressive with her backhand and she waits to have a ball at her forehand to finish the point. However, unfortunatly for Ana, she doesn't have Graf's footwork.

mboyle
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I don't see how anyone could say Seles.

Seles relied on angles, equal power from both sides, taking the ball on the rise on every shot (almost half volleys) and her return.
Graf relied on her depth, court sense, ability to set up the point to put away her forehand, her movement, and her serve.

Ivanovic relies more on depth, has more of an all court game like graf than Seles, sets up the point around her forehand, and has a better serve than return. She is only an average mover, whereas Steffi was probably the best mover in the history of the sport.

jfk
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Technique-wise, more like Graf. Court attitude-wise, more like Seles.

heart
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:14 AM
:eek:
:spit:

no!

treufreund
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:24 AM
she plays like Hingis. Just kidding :haha:

mirzalover
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I think she is more like Pierce without as much power, and with a weaker backhand.

spiritedenergy
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Graf. Sharapova is the one more Seles-like. She has worse movement than Graf but a better FH and a better BH. So we shall see.

moby
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Graf. Sharapova is the one more Seles-like. She has worse movement than Graf but a better FH and a better BH. So we shall see.There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't know where to start. :tape:

Ana DOES NOT have a better forehand than Steffi.

kinglear
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Yeah I see the resemblance, or more Lindsay Davenport. :)

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM
If it has to be between Seles and Graf, I'd pick Graf, easily. Yes, Ana hits a more aggressive backhand than Steffi did and she doesn't come under it, but they both use the forehand as their main weapon and the technique is quite similar on it, I find. Seles was just a different type of hard hitter all together.

Though as some have mentioned, I think Pierce is the most accurate comparison.

Natash.
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I would say Graf as well. Footwork is definitely not Ana's strength but it's getting so much better these days.

Tennisstar86
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM

I agree.... shes not as smart as Graf with contructing points with her depth... and she def doesnt get angles like Seles did....
Todays/ Yesterdays final she just pounded shot after shot to Safina's weak shot.... had Safina not played so many hours of tennis out there these two weeks, shed have needed a plan B IMO and i dont think she had one... she did the same thing against Jankovic... and was losing till Janko choked it...
Graf. Sharapova is the one more Seles-like. She has worse movement than Graf but a better FH and a better BH. So we shall see.

:spit: what is this we shall see bussiness... their games are out there.......there is no wait to see...:help:

OsloErik
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM
It's a tough question to answer, because it's hard to compare anyone with a two hander to Graf, but she seems more in the Graf vein than the Seles vein. Her forehand is clearly the better shot, she doesn't go for angles so much as deep V-pattern drives, and she is very comfortable moving forward to end the point. Again, it's weird because her movement isn't terrific (although she does have great footwork), but I think the serve-forehand combo is pretty Graf-esque. The way she serves is more Graf-like as well. She doesn't have the same power as some of the other top players (although she could if she wanted, and she has!), but she places and disguises the ball better than the rest of the top players (barring Serena).

I'd say Graf.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Neither. It's more like a new improved, non-burnout Capriati.

Though she does have a VERY effective, knifing slice, so..., I guess if I had to only choose between Monica and Steffi, I'd say Steffi- especially considering that MONSTER forehand of hers.

Equus
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Oh please.

So Disrespectful
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Ana has a hard forehand, which is better off or crosscourt than down the line. Her serve is good, her backhand is sufficient (she often fails to hit through the ball) and her movement is average. When she goes on a run, she can sure bash the ball beyond compare, but when she's off she doesn't have a plan B. The one thing Ana can't do is win while being dictated. If she's not confident or finds someone hitting harder than herself, she can be beaten on any given day.

She can't be compared to either, because her groundstrokes are nowhere near as precise as Seles', and she's not as smart as Graf.

Realistically I think Ana can win a handful of slams because no one else has stepped up. Sharapova and Ivanovic will probably divide the next few years of slams.

Calypso
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Some of the forehands she clobbered in the final really reminded me of Steffi!
Ana doesn't hit as many crazy angles as Seles did, but her heavy hitting off both flanks is kinda similar to Monica. She also volleys better than Seles, it seems.

She's not as quick around the court as Graf (hardly anyone is!).
Looking at mental toughness, Seles' intensity and mental strength was scary, she never held back and played every point, big or small, with the same ferocity. I wonder if Seles ever showed any nerves in a big match?! May be for the first two points, lol.
Sorry to digress, but the way Monica held off a battling Graf (and the crowd who were loudly pro-Graf) late in the 1992 F.O final was Seles at her competitive best!

Overall, I'd think Ana's game mirrors Graf's more than Seles'. She favours her FH more than the BH, can use the slice during long rallies, volleys well too. Seles returns a bit better than Ana, and is probably mentally stronger imho.

fammmmedspin
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
She will have watched Graf as a 5-11 year old - I doubt if a few years of Seles pre-1993 made much impact. The service led attack, the plays, the forehand role , the backhand slice, even the feet in the air hitting the forehand pictures are Graf like.
Actually after a few who took the William's sisters as models there are an awful lot of players out there who learnt tennis whilst Graf was the player to copy.

spiritedenergy
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:26 PM
There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't know where to start. :tape:

Ana DOES NOT have a better forehand than Steffi.

Oh really? You can talk all you want but if you put Ana vs Steffi in a FH vs FH exchange WITHOUT taking movement into account (Graf of course could have made Ana run around even though Ana's FH is even better on the run), Graf is blown off the court.

Apoleb
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Oh really? You can talk all you want but if you put Ana vs Steffi in a FH vs FH exchange WITHOUT taking movement into account (Graf of course could have made Ana run around even though Ana's FH is even better on the run), Graf is blown off the court.

Drop whatever you're smoking.

How can you not take movement into account? Movement is part of the shot set up. Ana might hit her forehand with more average speed, but it isn't nearly as consistent, precise or varied.

---

There are definitely some Graf-esque attributes to Ana. The way she sets up that inside out forehand reminds me of Steffi. I also think she's been watching Steffi tapes, cause they are a lesson for everyone who wants to avoid his/her backhand to play mostly on the forehand.

pancake
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM

You can still live in delusion too if it makes you happier.

spiritedenergy
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
You can still live in delusion too if it makes you happier.

this is my opinion having watched them play many times. If you don't agree, you can still explain yours:)

morbidangle
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Stop kidding yourself, Graf's forehand was 10 times better than Ana's. Not taking anything away from Ana, but thats how good Steffi's was. Even with the older rackets and a much smaller sweat spot, Graf's forehand still looks much more impressive and deadlier than Ana's.

spiritedenergy
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Stop kidding yourself, Graf's forehand was 10 times better than Ana's. Not taking anything away from Ana, but thats how good Steffi's was. Even with the older rackets and a much smaller sweat spot, Graf's forehand still looks much more impressive and deadlier than Ana's.

I think most people are biased by the fact that Graf won 24 GS and Ana 1. But Ana is younger and Graf had the best movement ever probably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqmuDsDSPHA

I find that Ana has a wider swing and is able to generate more power and depth.

danieln1
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Ana is the nowadays Mary Pierce! Their games are equal: Fierce forehand, steady backhand, strong serve, decent movement, nice volleys!

faboozadoo15
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Ana Ivanovic is Jelena Dokic with a solid family and more supportive upbringing.

tennisbear7
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Ana Ivanovic is Jelena Dokic with a solid family and more supportive upbringing.

You forgot about her better serve. :lol:

OsloErik
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM

The way you move your feet is critical to how you hit a forehand. Just because Graf has the better skills regarding footwork doesn't deny that she has a superior forehand.

OsloErik
Jun 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I think most people are biased by the fact that Graf won 24 GS and Ana 1. But Ana is younger and Graf had the best movement ever probably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqmuDsDSPHA

I find that Ana has a wider swing and is able to generate more power and depth.

Ana also uses 15 years more advanced racket technology.

Apoleb
Jun 9th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Ana is the nowadays Mary Pierce! Their games are equal: Fierce forehand, steady backhand, strong serve, decent movement, nice volleys!

I don't think Mary Pierce moves around her bh as much as Ana. Ana's forehand is excellent when she moves to her left. I think this is basically the similarity between Steffi and Ana. They both rely on the fh to win matches and will try to hit it as much as they can.

CoolDude7
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Ana is a like Pierce.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I must admit she reminds me of Steffi. Obviously with her big forehand being her big weapon that wins her matches,tournaments. For a player to be compared to Monica she has to be a fighter and grunt ;)

LegendsofTennis
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:26 AM
The great Monica Seles is a player Ana Ivanovic has always looked up to and admired. It was also Seles, born in what is now Serbia, who inspired her to take up tennis.

Ivanovic's love and interest in the sport of tennis began at an early age and started by watching the game played on television, in particular Monica Seles. She asked her parents to take her to a local tennis school where her game started to come together.

"I started playing tennis because of Monica Seles," Ivanovic said. "I watched her to TV and I really liked it. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to meet her, but I would be very pleased to see her."

Ivanovic hopes she can serve as a role model for the younger players in Serbia & Montenegro - much like how Seles played a large role in her early tennis years.

"I can imagine that some young people who are watching me playing tennis see me as their idol in a way that I liked to watch Monica Seles and dreamed to become such a good tennis player as well," Ivanovic said. (Ana Ivanovic's interview March 2006)

!Gio!
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Saying Ana has a better forehand than Steffi is not only a biased opinion its completely laughable. She is nowhere near the caliber of these players yet. We wil see if se gets there. She in my opinion, most resembles a Pierce but with less power and bit faster.

OsloErik
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
The great Monica Seles is a player Ana Ivanovic has always looked up to and admired. It was also Seles, born in what is now Serbia, who inspired her to take up tennis.

Ivanovic's love and interest in the sport of tennis began at an early age and started by watching the game played on television, in particular Monica Seles. She asked her parents to take her to a local tennis school where her game started to come together.

"I started playing tennis because of Monica Seles," Ivanovic said. "I watched her to TV and I really liked it. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to meet her, but I would be very pleased to see her."

Ivanovic hopes she can serve as a role model for the younger players in Serbia & Montenegro - much like how Seles played a large role in her early tennis years.

"I can imagine that some young people who are watching me playing tennis see me as their idol in a way that I liked to watch Monica Seles and dreamed to become such a good tennis player as well," Ivanovic said. (Ana Ivanovic's interview March 2006)

Doesn't at all mean she has a game even remotely similar. My idols growing up were Borg and Evert but my forehands and volleys (and serve) have consistently been what I've been better at.