PDA

View Full Version : Ivanovic is not yet the real #1

Kworb
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:16 AM
After RG Justine still has 4695 points which gives her a lead of almost 500 points over Ivanovic. Currently Justine is still the #1 player in the world. At Wimbledon it is very likely that Ivanovic will lose her false #1 ranking and someone else will become the true #1. It's very probable that Ivanovic will never reach #1 after this, and she will go down in history as the only player that was kind of #1 but not really.

cocco80
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:16 AM
wow..
just like christmas..every retard opens his thread to vent.

Craig.
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I agree, she doesn't feel like a real one to me but she still is #1. Can't take that away from her.

Aloimeh
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:19 AM
After RG Justine still has 4695 points which gives her a lead of almost 500 points over Ivanovic. Currently Justine is still the #1 player in the world. At Wimbledon it is very likely that Ivanovic will lose her false #1 ranking and someone else will become the true #1. It's very probable that Ivanovic will never reach #1 after this, and she will go down in history as the only player that was kind of #1 but not really.

I believe on Monday she's going to be the world #1, so your views don't match up with reality.

Slutati
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Why does this girl get soooo much crap around here? I don't like her at all, but all these threads make me want to become one of her biggest defenders. Justine is retired and not in the rankings anymore:shrug: Leave Ana alone, seriously:rolleyes:

The Daviator
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I think you'll actually find that Steffi is still #1! Steffi has been #1 all this time, and everyone who's been '#1' wasn't #1 really :)

Wiggly
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:21 AM
The thing is, nobody is a true #1 with Henin's retirement.
Maria isn't truly back there yet, Serena isn't convincing enough. Venus is Slams or nothing. The others are way too far to be considered real #1.

Anyways, she got a Slamm wich means much more than #1. Ferrero was #1. Nobody remembers that.

Kworb
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I think you'll actually find that Steffi is still #1! Steffi has been #1 all this time, and everyone who's been '#1' wasn't #1 really :)
I can live with that! Steffi :worship:

Il Primo!
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Ana has the best record in GS. Better than Maria, better than Vee. So she deserves her rank.

BUT I don't consider her as the best though and I think that's what you mean because being world number one and being wordl best is totally different.

Aloimeh
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Why does this girl get soooo much crap around here? I don't like her at all, but all these threads make me want to become one of her biggest defenders. Justine is retired and not in the rankings anymore:shrug: Leave Ana alone, seriously:rolleyes:

She's hated for various reasons, some of them being the following:

1.) Beat your favorite player.

2.) Stiff competition with Sharapova in the looks, endorsements (soon to be), and "IT" categories.

3.) Threat on all surfaces, something that Maria, Venus, Jelena, and others aren't really. Only Serena is a threat on all surfaces and she failed at this FO.

4.) Seems too nice/humble to be a beautiful, successful, slam-winning No. 1.

5.) Her on-court idiosyncrasies: fistpumps, "Ajde"s, etc.

6.) Her pressers: exciting, amazing, great, etc.

7.) Her ethnicity.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:26 AM

If you are so tough to post it now, then also admit that you were wrong when Ana 'truly' becomes NR 1.

Kworb
If you are so tough to post it now, then also admit that you were wrong when Ana 'truly' becomes NR 1.
Yes, if Ana's #1 ranking becomes real then I will have no choice but to accept it. :bigcry:

Kworb
This thread is not about Ana "feeling" like the number one, it's cold numbers saying that Henin still is #1. When Henin's Wimbledon SF points come off, the person on top of the rankings will be a real #1 and not a false one.

tennisbear7
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I don't feel as if Ana is the real number one yet.

Her game is still so raw and needs to be harnessed effectively.

homogenius
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Yes, if Ana's #1 ranking becomes real then I will have no choice but to accept it. :bigcry:

ummm Henin is REALLY retired so on monday, Ana will become the REAL n°1 in the ranking.
You accepting it or not has nothing to do with it being the REALITY.

Dave.
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Yes if Justine continued she would probably still be no.1 so Sharapova's and Ivanovic's weeks wouldn't really have counted. But Henin had not given any signs of her form getting better so her points would have come off anyway. It was inevitable Ana would become number 1, it's just come a tad early that's all. Anyway, of all the players in the hunt for number 1, Ana has been the best player in the last year.

Harvs
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:40 AM
i was waiting for some moron to say this...

henin retired and chose to get taken off the ranking. therefore she left it open for a new number one.
who is ivanovic, the legit number one...

Kworb
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:59 AM
It doesn't matter that Henin retired, points are points. Ivanovic is not yet a legit #1. :shrug:

The Daviator
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:01 AM
It doesn't matter that Henin retired, points are points. Ivanovic is not yet a legit #1. :shrug:

Only to you Kworb :hug:

incognito
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I don't see how an officially retired player that the rest of the top 10 won't be able to challenge on mandatory WTA events could still be considered a legitimate #1 regardless of the points?

I mean, if she's still the legitimate no 1, then should we add to her career stats a 1st round exit at RG 2008 and Wimbledon 2008 which are mandatory events for non-injured top 10 players?

You can't have it both ways and I'm sure Henin knew this when she made her decision to leave while she was still at the top instead of seeing her career stats get stained because of a few extra weeks as no 1...

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Anyways, she got a Slamm wich means much more than #1. Ferrero was #1. Nobody remembers that.

Only post 2003 fans dont remember . Ex. Those who discovered this sport thanks to Hantuchova

Pre 2003 fans we remember him like a hell of a tennis player

terjw
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Only to you Kworb :hug:

:lol::worship:

lowdowndirty
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM

Should all us sane people on the board get together and kick his ass for being such a drongo?

brayster87
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:29 AM

I thought Justine Henin retired :shrug::cuckoo:

mamno_MARYFAN
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:32 AM

2.) Stiff competition with Sharapova in the looks, endorsements (soon to be), and "IT" categories.

3.) Threat on all surfaces, something that Maria, Venus, Jelena, and others aren't really. Only Serena is a threat on all surfaces and she failed at this FO.

7.) Her ethnicity.

AMEN TO THAT!:bounce:

tequila
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Ana's number 1 has an asterisk. Henin's retirement as no. 1 is unprecedented and retired players don't usually remove their ranking, but just let it slip and die the slow death each week.

mamno_MARYFAN
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Ok baby, can I put it like this, we have to minus Henin, since she has retired, right?
So, apart from Henin, Ana is the new world number 1, since she has the highest points, right?
Higher than Sharapova, higher than Elena D, higher than Kuznetsova, higher than Jankovic right?
Of course, legitimately Henin's still has more points, but we can't rule her in, since she has retired, right? She herself has said that she wouldn't play anymore, right?
Right? Right? RIGHT?????
So what's your excuse for not acknowledging Ana as the new world number 1??????:confused:

mamno_MARYFAN
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I'm not really an intelligent person, but let me analyse this properly, since you have made a serious comment about Ana "being a false number 1 and will never reach number 1 again"
Last year, Ana crushed Sharapova, 6-1 6-2 in the semifinals, but was hammered by Henin in the final. What happened later in Wimbledon? She continued to play well, and reached the semifinals there.
This year, Ana is really a more complete player, more calm, self-assured, and in all her gracefulness she managed to win the French Open and obtain the world number 1 ranking. With all these wonderful accomplishment, I see no reason for Ana not able to continue playing well in Wimbledon, (which she did last year without the same momentum as she is having right now), and continue to surpass Henin in the rankings. She's the world number 1, she will probably have favourable opponents to play, at least until the quarters...and let's not forget, last year Ana reached the semis, Sharapova miserably with all her grunts and glory, lost in the fourth round badly...
So, unless one of you Ana-haters went on to stab Ana by the courtside like what happened to Seles, I can't see anything that can prevent Ana from keeping the number 1 spot, at least for some reasonable period of time...:bounce:

Malva
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Ana's number 1 has an asterisk. Henin's retirement as no. 1 is unprecedented and retired players don't usually remove their ranking, but just let it slip and die the slow death each week.

This is a good point. Something that has been discussed on this forum long before the Roland Garros Final, when it was Sharapova who was occupying #1 position after Hénin's unexpected retirement. A lot of people still were considering that only some time after Wimbledon, when Hénin's points come off, she stops being #1 in the rankings.

And the fact that she stopped playing doesn't change an iota in this logic. It was her expressed wish that she be removed from rankings. I am actually surprised that WTA consented -- the player should have no say regarding ranking points.

But it is also very different to say that either Sharapova for the last few weeks, or Ivanović now, is not legitimate #1. That is not gracious to say the least.

After WTA consented to Hénin's wish, whoever among the remaining competitors has the highest number of points automatically becomes #1 (even if it be #1 with Hénin not counted).

Hurley
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:13 AM
After RG Justine still has 4695 points which gives her a lead of almost 500 points over Ivanovic.

Justine Henin, my favorite player, currently has 0 ranking points.

Ana Ivanovic will, on Monday, have more WTA ranking points than any other professional female tennis player, making her World #1.

End.

Adaora
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:17 AM
She has defeated most players on the top 10 this year, yet you all find it hard to give her credit. You guys never cease to amaze me.

Malva
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Justine Henin, my favorite player, currently has 0 ranking points.

Whatever was your intention to communicate what you wrote is a shear nonsense.

Either Hénin is not counted in the rankings at all, or if she is counted, then her ranking points are her current points.

Hurley
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Whatever was your intention to communicate what you wrote is a shear nonsense.

Pinking shears nonsense, exactly. ;)

Either Hénin is not counted in the rankings, or if she is counted, then her ranking points are her current points.

Exactly. Find her in the rankings. Tell me how many points she has. ;)

Thank you for making my point. ;)

Malva
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Hurley, Enemy of Logic, low IQ can be a disability...

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Henin has retired, and I heard Larry Scott on TV say that it was Justine herself who requested that she be removed from the rankings. Her choice.

Therefore, whoever has the new highest point total is the legitimate number one. Not only that, Ivanovic has backed up the claim with a grand slam title as of today! Time to let it go, Kworb.

But hey, I understand how you feel in a way. I personally believe that Serena is the "best" player on the tour. But she has not earned the points to be number one. Like it or not, thems the facts at the moment.

Ana is the legit earned number one. Next thread.

danieln1
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Justine is history, forgotten, not playing, so Ana is the REAL number one player, no one told Justine to be a coward and retire, so Ivanovic has all the right to be at the top of the rankings!

Polikarpov
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Out of all the players right now, Ana is the most deserving of the that no. 1 spot. And if ever Ana lose that spot after Wimbledon, I'm sure that the one who'll replace her won't last very long as well.

There's simply no one in the tour right now who could dominate the field completely. I personally think that we'll even have at least three more different world no 1s before the year ends.

Ksenia.
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
:help::help::help:

Ana is #1. She has more points than any other player in the raknings. Justine has retired. She's not in the rankings. Get it...?

Kampi
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Well, I'm not a supporter of Ana, but seriously, the ranking will show her as No. 1 on Monday. This is the only truth for the moment and nothing else matters. She won two decisive matches to achieve this and she won her first GS-title. As a result of this she deserves it, period.
Why are people always complaining about this? I mean, I'd wished Jelena would be in her position, but the reality is telling me something different. Now is not the time to let your enviousness takes control. Btw, I bet that every fan of Ana can take this with a smile right now and they are right to do so. Ana is the new No. 1 and everybody has to face the facts. Instead of complaining you should back your own fav in becoming better and reaching the TOP again or for the very first time. And btw, that's exactly what I'm doing with my fav Jelena. And she played some vital role that this happened. So don't waste your time in complaining and whining, use your time to support your fav even more now.;)

A new race is on.....

AnywhereButHome
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:09 AM
The real #1 are - Serena,Venus,Davenport maybe Sharapova and Radwanska :) .

Mikey.
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
:spit: Seriously people get over it :smash: She is #1 and she got there fair and square. Deal with it. :shrug:

Sharapowerr
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:15 AM
The real #1 are - Serena,Venus,Davenport maybe Sharapova and Radwanska :) .

Offcourse Ana is the new number one but on a GS she had to beat only 1 top 10 player .. that s strange.

mure
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Offcourse Ana is the new number one but on a GS she had to beat only 1 top 10 player .. that s strange.

no she beated two top 10 players..jj and safina ;)

Slumpsova
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM
:tape:

A Magicman
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM

7.) Her ethnicity.

I'll pick number 5 out of that. The rest is completely irrelevant.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
It doesn't matter that Henin retired, points are points.

Spot on!
And Ivanovic has more points than anyone else on the Tour including Henin who has 0 points in the rankings after her retirement.

Beat
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM
This thread is not about Ana "feeling" like the number one, it's cold numbers saying that Henin still is #1.
rubbish. those cold numbers say that she retired and wanted to be taken off the rankings list immediately.

Fidello
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
kcoumXsRdYo

Natalicious
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/294/72286422ih5.jpg

she's retired, get over it!

Hashim.
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
:rolleyes:

Convoluted
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
The argument about the nr1 is not BECAUSE Henin retired, but about THE MOMENT she retired...

Here's why (just my reasoning). A Slam normally gives out a total of 3600 points between winner, finalist, semifinalists and quarterfinalists. They are usually all worth the same. With Henin's retirement she took with her some of those points. The total points distributed among the remaining players is therefore less. You could say each slam is worth less points:

Here are the slams still counting in the rankings:

Wimbledon 2007 = 3600 - 450 = 3150 points
USOpen 2007 = 3600 - 1000 = 2600 points
AOpen 2008 = 3600 - 250 = 3350 points
Roland Garros 2008 = 3600 - 0 = 3600 points.

The rankings should reflect how a player did on all surfaces. But with more clay court points in the rankings than hardcourt points, this favours good clay courters, and hurts hardcourters....

After the Usopen this distortion will have lessened a lot, with only the australian open QF undefended.

This happens everytime someone retires! It happened with Clijsters as well, when she retired, and even if Meusburger retired she would distort the rankings. But because of the lesser amount of points the distortion is less (Clijsters still had a fair amount of points, but not as many as Henin of course).

In this case the distortion is especially large because Henin had so many points. This should also be applied to all tournaments, not only GS to have an idea who the nr1 should be.

Kworb
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
The rankings are a reflection of who was the best player in the past year. Currently this is not Ivanovic, but it's Henin, regardless of the "official" ranking list. So Ivanovic is not yet a real #1.

nikita771
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Yep, I agree that Ana's number 1 ranking will go down in the record books - period. According to every statistic that exists right now, she is the real #1 - plain and simple.

Paul.be
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
This is a good point. Something that has been discussed on this forum long before the Roland Garros Final, when it was Sharapova who was occupying #1 position after Hénin's unexpected retirement. A lot of people still were considering that only some time after Wimbledon, when Hénin's points come off, she stops being #1 in the rankings.

And the fact that she stopped playing doesn't change an iota in this logic. It was her expressed wish that she be removed from rankings. I am actually surprised that WTA consented -- the player should have no say regarding ranking points.

But it is also very different to say that either Sharapova for the last few weeks, or Ivanović now, is not legitimate #1. That is not gracious to say the least.

After WTA consented to Hénin's wish, whoever among the remaining competitors has the highest number of points automatically becomes #1 (even if it be #1 with Hénin not counted).
It's up to the player to withdraw her points from the rankings. It always was. Many players did it before Justine like Steffi (at #3) and Kim (at #5).

Like a poster stated the higher the amount of points a player has, the higher the distorsion is in the rankings and the longer it takes for that distorsion to disperse. The distorsion is so great now because Justine is still the defending champion in SEVEN tournaments (Eastbourne, Toronto, US Open, Stuttgart, Zürich, YEC and Sydney).

Anabelcroft
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
You are right,she is not yet the real number 1,but she will be tomorrow-on monday! :-)

NeeemZ
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
You are right,she is not yet the real number 1,but she will be tomorrow-on monday! :-)

:) :) :lol:

Convoluted
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Let me say (just in case :p) if you read my earlier post, I'm not endorsing to keep Henin as the symbolic nr1. She's retired and no longer a proffesional tennis player (as much as it hurts me to say that).

The point is, you would have to correct each players scores so each slam is worth 3600 points again. That would mean multiplying wimby, usopen, and aopen points by a factor. This factor would be the largest USopen, followed by Wimby, then AO. Therefore Kuzzie and Venus would most benefit from it...

I did some calculations and in terms of slams alone, Ana would still be nr1. Kuzzie would be nr2. I was going to do the rest of the top 10, but my computer decided to die on me...

This is without taking into account other tournaments though. If I had time I would actually make a nice spreadsheet and stuff, but I've got an exam tomorrow :p, should be studying :p.

Conclusion: after correcting for "retirement distortion" Ana would probably still be nr1, but by a much narrower margin than now. Venus/Kuzzie/Bartoli(!)/Jankovic/Maria would benefit the most from a correction... (players who did well at USopen/Wimby/AO)

Dawson.
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM

its gonna become 'real' on monday. im sorry, but thats the way it is. in 10/20 years time when people talk about ivanovic, they will referer to her as the former world number 1. not the 'former number 1 but only because justine retired'. get over yourself and stop making stupid threads

Dado
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM
This bullshit here. Ana is the Nr. 1... that's it. Look at the rankings tomorrow.
Justine's time is over... Like the time of Steffi, both Martina, Monica, etc.
If you like live in the past, that's your thing... but now, Ana is the number one.

amirbachar
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
The argument about the nr1 is not BECAUSE Henin retired, but about THE MOMENT she retired...

Here's why (just my reasoning). A Slam normally gives out a total of 3600 points between winner, finalist, semifinalists and quarterfinalists. They are usually all worth the same. With Henin's retirement she took with her some of those points. The total points distributed among the remaining players is therefore less. You could say each slam is worth less points:

Here are the slams still counting in the rankings:

Wimbledon 2007 = 3600 - 450 = 3150 points
USOpen 2007 = 3600 - 1000 = 2600 points
AOpen 2008 = 3600 - 250 = 3350 points
Roland Garros 2008 = 3600 - 0 = 3600 points.

The rankings should reflect how a player did on all surfaces. But with more clay court points in the rankings than hardcourt points, this favours good clay courters, and hurts hardcourters....

After the Usopen this distortion will have lessened a lot, with only the australian open QF undefended.

This happens everytime someone retires! It happened with Clijsters as well, when she retired, and even if Meusburger retired she would distort the rankings. But because of the lesser amount of points the distortion is less (Clijsters still had a fair amount of points, but not as many as Henin of course).

In this case the distortion is especially large because Henin had so many points. This should also be applied to all tournaments, not only GS to have an idea who the nr1 should be.

I totally agree with that. Since we can't exactly do this correction (because why looking up to quater finals, and not up to semis for example), we have to cancel this distortion by keeping Henin in the rankings.
Why should the WTA decide who will be the no. 1 after the results are known. It's like all of a sudden they will decide that Wimby is worth 2500 points. Will you agree that Venus is no. 1 in this case?
The ranking system should be decided before the play and can't be change after.

sharapovarulz1
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well I am glad to hear this Justine technically still No1 that has made my day because neither Maria or Ana deserve that spot right now they need to do a hell of alot more!

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
This thread is not about Ana "feeling" like the number one, it's cold numbers saying that Henin still is #1. When Henin's Wimbledon SF points come off, the person on top of the rankings will be a real #1 and not a false one.

as far as i remember she retired...cold numbers show that jh is NOT #1 as she does not play tennis anymore...

cold numbers show that Ana Ivanovic is #1 :wavey: get over it...

keinimod
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM
This is a false dichotomy. Both statements are correct:

A) Ana is the real n° 1 on the WTA world ranking.

B) Justine still has 4,695 points.

B is true, but has no relevance to A.

B would only become relevant to A if Justine would show up at Eastbourne and thus become a playing member of the WTA again. Then these 4,695 points would become relevant anew and Justine would become the n°1 again.
But that won't happen.

Mileen
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM
ummm Henin is REALLY retired so on monday, Ana will become the REAL n°1 in the ranking.
You accepting it or not has nothing to do with it being the REALITY.

We already know what the reality is and I don't believe him posting this thread has anything to do with nonacceptance. He is just sharing a statistic, that is simply true, if you want it or not. He is just rightfully expressing what everybody knows and feels. The only thing I regret about this thread is that this has not been said when Maria for the third time got her #1 spot for free, as if she would be untouchable on this board.
Edit: and the other BIG thing I regret is that Justine put herself off the ranking. She should just have let it and then gotten herself off the ranking as soon as she would have become #2. Stupid decesion.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
We already know what the reality is and I don't believe him posting this thread has anything to do with nonacceptance. He is just sharing a statistic, that is simply true, if you want it or not. He is just rightfully expressing what everybody knows and feels. The only thing I regret about this thread is that this has not been said when Maria for the third time got her #1 spot for free, as if she would be untouchable on this board.
Edit: and the other BIG thing I regret is that Justine put herself off the ranking. She should just have let it and then gotten herself off the ranking as soon as she would have become #2. Stupid decesion.

it's not a true statistic...jh is not a player on tour so she's not #1 and has no points to surpass...everyone does not know and feel that jh is the true #1...she retired....get over the fact that she took herself off the ranking...

hollywood7172
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Ana will be number one come monday! cogratulations!!!!!

i like how the original starter of this thread wrote not "YET" real number one, because we all know, real or not or whatever, ana will be number one rightfully and realistically at some point (soon). ::kiss::

Ryan
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
This "true #1" shit needs to stop. Whoever has the MOST POINTS of players NOT RETIRED is the #1 player. Justine retired from tennis, and therefore has ZERO points. Ana, whether she is the "best" player or not, is the #1 player in the world. The end. Fuck off.

moby
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Ana Ivanovic is the real WTA number one, but the woman with the best performances in the past 52 weeks - as objectively measured by the same rubric that has Ana as the number one - is still Justine Henin. Justine simply doesn't exist within the construct of the WTA any more.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ana Ivanovic is the real WTA number one, but the woman with the best performances in the past 52 weeks - as objectively measured by the same rubric that has Ana as the number one - is still Justine Henin. Justine simply doesn't exist within the construct of the WTA any more.

error...there is no such player on the WTA and therefore the one with the best performances as objectively measured is Ana Ivanovic

moby
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM
error...there is no such player on the WTA and therefore the one with the best performances as objectively measured is Ana IvanovicUmmm... That's what I said: the WTA player with the best performances is Ana. :weirdo: Implicitly, at least.

The last time I checked, Justine has only ceased to be a WTA player. She has not ceased to be a woman. Hence, my statement is still valid.

^bibi^
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I love justine and really dislike Ana, but those threads make me wanna love Ana really :lol:

Being number one doesn'tmean having lots of points, it means having more points than the others :p

And judging y last 12 months results, Ana deserves her spot... (but yeah Justine is course way greater at the moment :p)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Ummm... That's what I said: the WTA player with the best performances is Ana. :weirdo: Implicitly, at least.

The last time I checked, Justine has only ceased to be a WTA player. She has not ceased to be a woman. Hence, my statement is still valid.

how is that the same thing...even implicitly :weirdo:

moby
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM
how is that the same thing...even implicitly :weirdo:I don't know; maybe it is because "Ana is the real WTA number one" = "Ana is the WTA player with the best performance". :shrug:

It's also helpful to note that "WTA player" is not a synonym for "woman".

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
but the woman with the best performances in the past 52 weeks - as objectively measured by the same rubric that has Ana as the number one - is still Justine Henin = Ana Ivanovic...

ok got it :yeah:

irma
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Henin the woman is learning and wants to get her highschool diplom so the only points she is probably interested in are good grades.

felipe2004
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
It's up to the player to withdraw her points from the rankings. It always was. Many players did it before Justine like Steffi (at #3) and Kim (at #5).

Like a poster stated the higher the amount of points a player has, the higher the distorsion is in the rankings and the longer it takes for that distorsion to disperse. The distorsion is so great now because Justine is still the defending champion in SEVEN tournaments (Eastbourne, Toronto, US Open, Stuttgart, Zürich, YEC and Sydney).

Eight tournaments actually. ;) You forgot Antwerp. :) And well, until the rankings come tomorrow, she still has nine (Roland Garros). :p

sasha&tennis
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ok I will humor you by including Justine Henin & her ranking points in the current debate you have started regarding who is the real # 1.
1. Henin had 4695 at the beginning of the French Open & she did not play. Since we are counting her points we also have to take away the points that she lost since she did not play.
Below are the points for each level @ the French Open:
Pts Money
W 1000 €1,000,000
http://www.atptennis.com/5/graphics/space.gif
F 700 €530,000
SF 450 €265,000
QF 250 €132,000
R16 150 €66,250
R32 75 €39,400
R64 35 €23,760
R128 5 €14,290

2.With Henin being the defending champion she lost 1000 points since she did not play leaving her with 3965 points which would make her the current # 4 player in the world. So technically now Henin is still not the # 1 player in the world she is #4 based on her remaining points. The points don't just sit there. 4965 points don't just remain and it seems that you are looking at it like that. But now she only has 3965 points so yes Monday Ana Ivanovic is the new #1.
3. The only person who had #1 by default was Maria Sharapova & that is the very reason that even Maria herself was not happy about being #1. Ana has earned it by winning her 1st slam.
4. But since Justine has retired none of this really matters. Do you expect your job to still pay you your salary when you quit? That is the logic that you are using when you say Henin is still #1.

Nemo_Kool
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
bit stupid dont u think?!?she just won the last slam and has the most ranking points than any other player atm so yes she is the real number one....Justine retired her points seize to exist they are points after all

Kworb
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Ok I will humor you by including Justine Henin & her ranking points in the current debate you have started regarding who is the real # 1.
1. Henin had 4695 at the beginning of the French Open & she did not play. Since we are counting her points we also have to take away the points that she lost since she did not play.
Below are the points for each level @ the French Open:
Pts Money
W 1000 €1,000,000
F 700 €530,000
SF 450 €265,000
QF 250 €132,000
R16 150 €66,250
R32 75 €39,400
R64 35 €23,760
R128 5 €14,290

2.With Henin being the defending champion she lost 1000 points since she did not play leaving her with 3965 points which would make her the current # 4 player in the world. So technically now Henin is still not the # 1 player in the world she is #4 based on her remaining points. The points don't just sit there. 4965 points don't just remain and it seems that you are looking at it like that. But now she only has 3965 points so yes Monday Ana Ivanovic is the new #1.
3. The only person who had #1 by default was Maria Sharapova & that is the very reason that even Maria herself was not happy about being #1. Ana has earned it by winning her 1st slam.
4. But since Justine has retired none of this really matters. Do you expect your job to still pay you your salary when you quit? That is the logic that you are using when you say Henin is still #1.
Wrong, she had 5695 and will have 4695 when the points come off. Tomorrow Henin is still the real #1.

sasha&tennis
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
The only way Henin can be # 1 Monday is if she is a member of the wta tour. Since she is not obviously she is not #1. You sound like you really like her a lot as a player. But I have always heard that the truth really hurts and the truth is that Monday Ana Ivanovic will be the #1 player in the world and Justine Henin will still be retired. That's just the way it is. No simple formula, no deeply broken down logic but the plain & simple facts.

Kart
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I don't want to be mean but really, you're not doing yourself any favours.

Justine's ancient history and Ivanovic is the forseeable future.

Might as well face up to it.

mb011
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM
some people really cant deal with reality. the only way i would have the doubt of ana not being a relevant number one, would be if she had lost the final of RG. since she's won it, it proves she is the relevant number one at this moment. you really cannot know what will happen at wimbledon, just like no one could have predicted that henin will retire so suddenly. so really, you and other doubters, grow up and accept the reality.

mb011
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
bit stupid dont u think?!?she just won the last slam and has the most ranking points than any other player atm so yes she is the real number one....Justine retired her points seize to exist they are points after all

suer, they will be hers in ten years, will you call her the "real" number one then?? in my opinion then, monika seles is still the number one, as she was before the stabbing in 1993. oh, please really!

carling
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I hate idiotic thread's like this. As of Monday, Ana Ivanovic is the #1 women's tennis player in the world. What you and I think about it is irrelavant. Ana's #1 ranking is a fact and very "real".

People need to stop living in the past and get over Justin Henin. Bitch is gone. Retired. She removed herself from the computer therefore she has NO RANKING. Justine's tennis career is over. Accept it and give others their due.

cellophane
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Ana is the REAL number 1... the weakest in recent history (well, not weaker than Amelie IMO), but a legit one.

terjw
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:38 PM
kcoumXsRdYo

:lol:

homogenius
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
kcoumXsRdYo

:spit:

Nemo_Kool
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
suer, they will be hers in ten years, will you call her the "real" number one then?? in my opinion then, monika seles is still the number one, as she was before the stabbing in 1993. oh, please really!
u totally misinterpretted my post...at this moment in time...at this VERY moment Ivanovic is the REAL number one..ore more precisely when the WTA tour update the rankings on Monday...She is the real number one...i was merely responding to OP that Henin's points are irrelevant as her points were erased when she retired....im not speaking as the real number one of all time....cos we all knno that it is Serena:p

ChriS.
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Ana is number one and deserves it. She beat JJ in a very closely fought match who was her main competition for this tournament and then won the final. However, I think that any one of Maria, JJ and Sveta can possibly take it off her.

ce
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM
shut up :weirdo:

serenus_2k8
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
It doesnt take 7 pages to tell the OP 'Yes she is.'