PDA

View Full Version : The original Ana

Reuchlin
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF5JUfwWyv0&feature=related

The copy is never as good as the original.

Paul.
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'd say the 'copy' is much better than the original. Grand Slam title already, two other finals and six other titles, three of them tier 1. Also, Kournikova was far from being number 1 in the world. I'm pretty sure you'd need a title or two for that.

A great player, but only ever reached four tour finals, one slam quarter and one slam semi. Ivanovic has achieved more in her short career than Kournikova could ever have dreamed of.

Oh, and judging by that first point, the original wasn't so hawt..

ViennaCalling
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Well, Kournikova had to play against Hingis, Davenport, Pierce, Venus, Serena at their prime :p

Paul.
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Well, Kournikova had to play against Hingis, Davenport, Pierce, Venus, Serena at their prime :p

True, but I still think Ivanovic is a better player. Kournikova would not be nearly so well-known if she wasn't one of the most attractive people on the planet :lol:

By the way, :haha: at the quote in your signature. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

ViennaCalling
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:39 AM
True, but I still think Ivanovic is a better player. Kournikova would not be nearly so well-known if she wasn't one of the most attractive people on the planet :lol:

By the way, :haha: at the quote in your signature. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

:devil:

Ana is for sure more successful than Anna (but only on the Tennis-Court IMO :p), but Anna was very talented too, she had a great game.

DownTheLine21
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Kournikova was extremely talented, but she was plagued by injuries and didn't have the mental strength required to be a champion. Ana, on the other hand, is also enormously talented, but she has her head on straight and avoids injuries. Both players can be streaky at times, but Kournikova was much more inconsistent. She also never improved (possibly influenced by her mother). The game she entered the tour with was basically the same one she left with, whereas Ana is improving with every match.

Shakira4000
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I wished they still used actual grass at Wimbledon like they used to in that clip.

supergrunt
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:53 AM
omg their groundstrokes look almost the same :eek:

bjorn_again
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I wished they still used actual grass at Wimbledon like they used to in that clip.

Um....last I checked, the grass at Wimbledon are as real as back then.

cheo23
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:57 AM
This Thread started by a Maria fan :help:

Shakira4000
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Um....last I checked, the grass at Wimbledon are as real as back then.

It's not the same though. Notice on the video how low the ball bounces, then compare it to a video from last year. The ball bounces ridiculously high for a "grass" court. They've gradually changed it over the years to prevent the clay-court players from withdrawing, which used to be a fairly common thing. This grass plays similar to a clay court; how else do you think Nadal has made two Wimbledon finals in a row? :lol: He would have never managed this if the grass was the same as in 1997.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Kournikova was extremely talented, but she was plagued by injuries and didn't have the mental strength required to be a champion. Ana, on the other hand, is also enormously talented, but she has her head on straight and avoids injuries. Both players can be streaky at times, but Kournikova was much more inconsistent. She also never improved (possibly influenced by her mother). The game she entered the tour with was basically the same one she left with, whereas Ana is improving with every match.

Korny's serve was a liability. AI's is not. Kornikova didn't train to be a champ. She trained to be competitive and stay "pretty." She wasn't willing to risk her image for tennis' highest honors. No, there is no comparing AI and Korny.

Paul.
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Korny's serve was a liability. AI's is not. Kornikova didn't train to be a champ. She trained to be competitive and stay "pretty." She wasn't willing to risk her image for tennis' highest honors. No, there is no comparing AI and Korny.

Are you kidding?! Her serve was absolutely dreadful at various stages in Roland Garros this year. Particularly in the semi, it helped her on the way to losing seven games in a row. The ball toss is often ridiculously far to the right and can cause a huge amount of problems for Ana, particularly in nervy situations.

She needs to work on her serve as soon as possible. It can be an incredibly valuable weapon, but also a big liability.

Dodoboy.
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM

:bowdown:

In a nutshell.

Dodoboy.
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Some nice tennis there, quite the touch and with speed :)

That was a nice clip :)

Slutiana
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPmjMPWRCBo

I love this video.

Nicolas
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Huber's grunt is the best!

Adal
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM
1997-1998 Best years of Anna Kournikova :bigcry:

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM
...It can be an incredibly valuable weapon, but also a big liability.

Agreed, but ON BALANCE, I don't think it's a liability. I think it's more of an asset.