PDA

View Full Version : Jankovic not playing Birmingham!!!!!!!

VeeJJ
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
the main draw is out and she isn't on it. i thought she was gonna definetly play. She's not playing Ordina either so i guess she is playing Eastbourne. I really thought she was gonna defend her Birmingham title and she probaly would have. GRRRR!!

Here's the Main Draw:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/global/Pdfs/events/2008/birmingham_draws.pdf

Bruno71
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
This was reported yesterday. She's actually made a correct decision for once.

Wiggly
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:04 PM
the main draw is out and she isn't on it. i thought she was gonna definetly play. She's not playing Ordina either so i guess she is playing Eastbourne. I really thought she was gonna defend her Birmingham title and she probaly would have. GRRRR!!

Here's the Main Draw:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/global/Pdfs/events/2008/birmingham_draws.pdf

Stop making threads. Always old news. Always useless. Thanks.

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Despite not defending her title, she should move up to No. 2, correct?

Also, this looks like a great tournament for several slumping players to find some form.

Bruno71
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Correct, if only for a week.

VeeJJ
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM

I don't know now because she beat sharapova in the final and she would have more points to defend than sharapova since she won. Will she still be number 2???? plus she has her Ordina points that she is not dfending as well. She would have to do really well at Eastbourne to be #2 for Wimbledon i think.

Craig.
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Which is really stupid cause Maria also isn't playing and has less points to defend. Nevertheless, she'll move down to #3 thanks to Jelena's 2007 schedule and the 18th tournament crap.

Yes, I am bitter and pissed. But then again, when you're a hardcore fan of a player, all you want for them is to be successful and at the top. :)

Bruno71
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I don't know now because she beat sharapova in the final and she would have more points to defend than sharapova since she won. Will she still be number 2???? plus she has her Ordina points that she is not dfending as well. She would have to do really well at Eastbourne to be #2 for Wimbledon i think.

JJ will replace her Birmingham points with her 18th best (S'Hertogenbosch last year), so she only loses a net of 40 points. Maria loses 100. JJ will only be 9 points ahead of Maria in the rankings, and if she doesn't play anywhere the week before Wimbledon, those Holland points will be replaced with her new 18th best, whatever it is.

Wimbledon seedings will be based on the rankings after Birmingham, however, the seeding committee may choose to move Maria ahead of JJ based on past performances.

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
JJ will replace her Birmingham points with her 18th best (S'Hertogenbosch last year), so she only loses a net of 40 points. Maria loses 100. JJ will only be 9 points ahead of Maria in the rankings, and if she doesn't play anywhere the week before Wimbledon, those Holland points will be replaced with her new 18th best, whatever it is.

Wimbledon seedings will be based on the rankings after Birmingham, however, the seeding committee may choose to move Maria ahead of JJ based on past performances.

Yes. They may choose to do this, but I don't see the point. I could see the need if she was ranked No. 5 and they moved her into the Top 4, but, since Maria is already in the Top 4, it makes little sense to me.

mb011
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
jelena was really hurting during the last week of RG so she should get some rest and get fit for wimbledon, regardless of the ranking and seeding. i'm sure she wouldnt like to become no2 just based on computer counting. no sportsman\woman would like to earn something like that without their own effort...

scoobsuk
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Smart decision from Jelena.

I am glad to see she IS actually cutting out some of the sillier small tournaments -one pre-Wimbledon event has to suffice if you went deep at the French and want to go deep at Wimbledon.

©@®eLess
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
good decision. she can earn her points back by playing semis in Eastbourne...and if she makes it deep at wimby which is unlikely with that horror serve...she could pump up to no.1 if ana and maria fall down before her. Strangest things happened...so who knows? it would be hilarious if she won the title. I think Justine would comitt suicide! :lol:

ce
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
:haha:

esdee
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Isn't JJ playing Rosmalen? I didn't think she was due to play Eastbourne.

Bruno71
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Isn't JJ playing Rosmalen? I didn't think she was due to play Eastbourne.

She's not technically allowed to play there as it's a Tier III that conflicts with a Tier II. As of now, she's not signed up for anywhere that week that I know of.

RenaSlam.
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:14 AM
She wouldn't win anyway.

Good on her.

terjw
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Smart decision from Jelena.

I am glad to see she IS actually cutting out some of the sillier small tournaments -one pre-Wimbledon event has to suffice if you went deep at the French and want to go deep at Wimbledon.

Well I don't think Jelena regards Birmingham as a silly event at all. I'm sure she didn't want to pull out. She hates diappointing people. The reason she withdrew is she picked up this arm injuryat RG for all to see. And it really makes sense to give it time to heal properly and not risk it flaring up again.

And saying one pre Wimbledon has to suffice - well that was the only one on her schedule. If she decides she wants to play pre Wimby - she'll have to ask for a late entry at Eastbourne. It's late entry there or nothing (which might be best with her arm) She's not allowed to play in a lower tier event to Eastbourne in the same week.

Slutati
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Janković not playing:eek: That's a bombshell.