PDA

View Full Version : It's official : FO women's singles finals suck as finalist never able to play

LightWarrior
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
...her top level. It has been the case since 2002.
2002 : awful match by the WS, as both made 100 unforced errors combined.
2003 : Clijsters never able to get into the match. She just won 4 games
2004 : Dementieva made tons of unforced errors, winning just 3 games
2005 : got even worse with Mary Pierce totally overwhelmed by emotions, winning just 2 games.
2006 : dull match as Kuznetsova was never able to threaten Henin.
2007 : just 3 games won by Ivanivic, totally overwhelmed for her first GS final.
2008 : many unforced errors on both sides, Safina not being able to show what she did in quarter and semi. Totally disappointing.

1985/2001 was the best run for exciting FO finals as 10 finals went to 3 sets during that span. Lots of unforgettable finals with a lot of drama and/or great display of tennis from both players, most notably :

1985 (Evert/Navratilova)
1987 (Graf/Navratilova)
1989 (Graf/Sanchez)
1992 (Seles/Graf)
1996 (Graf/Sanchez)
1998 (Sanchez/Seles)
1999 (Graf/Hingis)
2001 (Capriati/Clijsters)

What is the lesson here? That women's tennis is in need of a great rivalry which translates in finals at Rolad Garros, and that has been lacking for a few years, especially on clay.

hingisGOAT
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah it's completely pathetic... I think the US Open finals have had a very similar timeline :tape:

LightWarrior
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah it's completely pathetic... I think the US Open finals have had a very similar timeline :tape:

Come on people, this a great thread !

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
...her top level. It has been the case since 2002.
2002 : awful match by the WS, as both made 100 unforced errors combined.
2003 : Clijsters never able to get into the match. She just won 4 games
2004 : Dementieva made tons of unforced errors, winning just 3 games
2005 : got even worse with Mary Pierce totally overwhelmed by emotions, winning just 2 games.
2006 : dull match as Kuznetsova was never able to threaten Henin.
2007 : just 3 games won by Ivanivic, totally overwhelmed for her first GS final.
2008 : many unforced errors on both sides, Safina not being able to show what she did in quarter and semi. Totally disappointing.

1985/2001 was the best run for exciting FO finals as 10 finals went to 3 sets during that span. Lots of unforgettable finals with a lot of drama and/or great display of tennis from both players, most notably :

1985 (Evert/Navratilova)
1987 (Graf/Navratilova)
1989 (Graf/Sanchez)
1992 (Seles/Graf)
1996 (Graf/Sanchez)
1998 (Sanchez/Seles)
1999 (Graf/Hingis)
2001 (Capriati/Clijsters)

What is the lesson here? That women's tennis is in need of a great rivalry which translates in finals at Rolad Garros, and that has been lacking for a few years, especially on clay.

This year's final was good. Both players were in the positive.

Ivanovic - 41 Winners/22 Unforced Errors
Safina - 37 Winners/28 Unforced Errrors

Branimir
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
You not gonna believe RG statistics:? There is no way Ana had 41 winners today. Absolutely no way. Neither there is no way that Safina had 37 winners. It's impossible!!!!

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM
You not gonna believe RG statistics:? There is no way Ana had 41 winners today. Absolutely no way. Neither there is no way that Safina had 37 winners. It's impossible!!!!

Yes. Those stats are not only on the RG website. They were also the same ones used on the NBC telecast. The television stats have been correct all tournament. Of course, they could have screwed up today.

LightWarrior
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM
This year's final was good. Both players were in the positive.

Ivanovic - 41 Winners/22 Unforced Errors
Safina - 37 Winners/28 Unforced Errrors

I highly doubt those satistics.

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I highly doubt those satistics.

Ok. They could be incorrect, but these were the statistics displayed on the NBC telecast.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Yes. Those stats are not only on the RG website. They were also the same ones used on the NBC telecast. The television stats have been correct all tournament. Of course, they could have screwed up today.

BBC said that Safina had one more winner than Ana(24 or something) and a few more unforced errors.

Watching
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM
2002 final wasn't so bad now I seen it. Yes lots of errors but they were both moving so damn fast at their peaks they got to damn everything so winners were hard to come by.

Wiggly
If Safina held 4*-4, she was going to win this in straights.

Paul.
Early in the second, the stat on Eurosport was..

Safina: 17 winners 18 unforced errors
Ivanovic: 18 winners 17 unforced errors.

The stats were by no means terrible, and this final was a vast improvment on many since 2002, but I'd agree that it was a disappointment. However, you can't really blame Dinara for running out of steam - and I think that's all it was to be honest.

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM
BBC said that Safina had one more winner than Ana(24 or something) and a few more unforced errors.

Oh, ok. My telecast must have been using the wrong statistics. Considering that they're also similar to the ones listed on the RG website, it makes perfect sense.

In The Zone
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
This final was bounds better than anything we've seen since Kim and Jen in 2001.

I'm kind of shocked at the backlash. Simply because it didn't go to 3 sets doesn't mean it was a failure.

LDF
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
This final was bounds better than anything we've seen since Kim and Jen in 2001.

I'm kind of shocked at the backlash. Simply because it didn't go to 3 sets doesn't mean it was a failure.

I totally agree. Whilst Dinara did lose her way during the very final stages of the match, it was generally very competitive (especially those 2 multi-deuce games mid-way through the 2nd set) and as the stats show, the winners just about balanced the unforced errors.

There may not have been sustained brilliance but at times the two girls produced some superb rallies.

Chris 84
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The final this year was good imo :shrug:

Kart
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM
This was the best final for seven years.

Personally I'd see it as something to celebrate.

Maybe it's the start of an upward trend.

Seyz
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
The Jelena v.s. Ivanovic was more of what the final should have been like. In all honesty, if they had been on opposite sides of the draws, that probably would have been the final.. no i take that back actually...

Oswald56
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I went to bed during the second set.

danieln1
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM
This year´s final was the best since 2001, without a doubt! Any other RG final that Henin played the other player didn´t show up to play or was a wreck of nerves, but today there were a lot of great rallies and emotion, so it was perfect that Ana won!

StZox
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
This year´s final was the best since 2001, without a doubt! Any other RG final that Henin played the other player didn´t show up to play or was a wreck of nerves, but today there were a lot of great rallies and emotion, so it was perfect that Ana won!

I agree that the final was the best since 2001

Dave.
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM
This was the best French final since 2001 and the best slam final since Wimbledon 2006 in terms of competitiveness.

Melly Flew Us
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
...her top level. It has been the case since 2002...

2008 : many unforced errors on both sides, Safina not being able to show what she did in quarter and semi. Totally disappointing....

still hebetudinous.

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I do agree with with the people here who say that final wasn't that bad. It was atually pretty good I must say. Very high level, very entertaining rallies. Best since Kim-JCap.

hacberto
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Yeah Grand Slam finals aren't so exciting in these years the semis are way more exciting

bomberguy
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I thought it was a very good final in comparison to the last few years at RG. Ana played great and I think her serve and backhand were the reason she won.

homogenius
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I just watched it and it wasn't that bad.Ivanovic has really improved her backhand and defence (+fitness)and it really shows now.
That being said, some parts of the match were really ugly (end of first set for example)and Safina was kinda back to her user self : lot of errors, not really able to manage her emotions etc...
Ana was tougher mentally, but it wasn't that hard against Dinara.I have the feeling that she has a quite complete game but she's not that tough (especially on big points).

A much better final than the past few years, but certainly not the match of the tournament.