PDA

View Full Version : Jelena is a great girl and I hope she can achieve her dreams - Ana's interview

Sash1
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Nice post match interview - said nice things about Justine as well...

Q. You must be very proud of the way you kept control of that match, that long game at the end of the second set, and you struck right back to win the match. Can you comment on your mentality?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, I was ‑‑ I'm just really proud about my efforts today. It wasn't easy match. She played really well, I thought. First set I had a double break, I believe, and she came back.
You know, it was few mental games out there today, so I was really happy that in a key moment I managed to stay strong and calm, in the second set, especially.
At 4‑2 we had very, very long game. I had few advantages and I wasn't as aggressive, but, you know I kept my composure and stepped up and won my service game and managed to break her again. I'm very, very happy.
Q. Going into the match, were you concerned that even though you've had experience, you have been in the finals, you actually hadn't won one yet? Was that playing on your mind?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, obviously you're nervous. You want to make one step more and win a title. But, you know, last two Grand Slams were great learning experience for me. You know, I'm only 20 and it was my third final already, so that, you know, kept some pressure off me. Just trying to enjoy it, and that's what I did today.
Obviously there was a lot of emotions inside, but till the last point I tried to, you know, don't think about the occasion and just focus on my tennis. So I was really happy I managed to do that today.
Q. They say that winning a Grand Slam for the first time changes the way you think about yourself as a tennis player. Do you feel changed already?
ANA IVANOVIC: No, I feel ‑‑ I feel so happy. I have no words to describe that. But Grand Slam, winning Grand Slam is something I dreamt since I was a little kid, so achieving that goal, it's very thrilling.
You know, you work so hard and you're, off the court, on the court, and you put so much effort into it. I loved the game and I enjoy playing, so this is the best reward I can get.
It's something ‑‑ it's my incentive, you know, to keep working hard, and, you know, win more of these trophies.
Q. How crucial was the shot you played to save the break point in the sixth game of the second set? Were you thinking at that point about her previous comebacks?
ANA IVANOVIC: Sorry? Can you repeat?
Q. I'll ask the first part first. How crucial was that shot you played to save the break point in the second set?
ANA IVANOVIC: It was a huge point, and I was very aware of it. So you know, the next point after I managed to come back to deuce, I tried to think, you know, just to stay calm and make her play, because she was anxious.
She had chances to finish that point many times and have 2‑1 lead. I knew the next point was so important, so I was really happy I stepped up and win that game. That was something that gave me confidence in that second set, because in the beginning of that second set I thought I lost concentration for a bit. It was obviously very dangerous, so I knew I had to, you know, be back in the moment.
Q. In that stage, were her previous comebacks in the tournament on your mind at all?
ANA IVANOVIC: No, I mean, I knew she was a great fighter, and I knew I had to take any chance I had. I had lot of chances in the first set which I didn't use.
She came back, and it was 4‑All, and, you know, it was tough because a lot of emotions build up inside. You knew you had a chance, double break, you know, and then all of a sudden you're equal again.
So to keep my composure at that point, it was huge for me.
Q. You speak so quickly as Monica Seles and her time; it's amazing. But why wasn't Sven Groeneveld today up there, or he was watching another place?
ANA IVANOVIC: I'm trying to speak slow, but I'm so excited.
Q. It shows your intelligence.
ANA IVANOVIC: You have to understand. Yeah, it was very unfortunate that Sven couldn't be in the box today, because he puts lots of effort, you know, from his side, and lots of hard work in last couple months and year since we been working more together.
So I was really sorry for him not to be there this huge moment in my career. But I'm sure he was, you know, out there a little bit suffering, because we are both adidas, and it's very hard for him.
But, yeah, I think he was sitting somewhere in ‑‑ I think adidas box, but I'm not really sure. I still haven't talked to him, so I'm sure he's very, very proud of me, too.
Q. After you lost Australia you were crying a lot, very, very upset. When you walked away from that tournament, did you resolve something to yourself about how I'm going to compose myself in the next Grand Slam final?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yes. Yeah, definitely. It was very tough loss for me, and I had few sleepless nights after that, honestly. But, yeah, it's something I learned from. I was again in that final, like in Paris ‑ it was much better ‑ but still, I was ‑‑ part of me was already thinking about possibly holding a trophy, you know. So this time I really tried to change that and don't think about that at all and just focus on my game.
And there were some moments where, you know, this thought would still come up, but I managed to control it much better and to be aware of every moment of my game. That's something I'm really, really happy about today's game.
Q. It's also been said about you at times that you're too nice and too sweet to have a killer instinct on court. Today maybe you've proved that you really do have that killer instinct inside.
ANA IVANOVIC: I try. You know, I think once you are on the court, it's ‑‑ yeah, it's much easier said than done ‑‑ but you have to be a killer. And you have to, you know, put them under pressure and show your presence and stuff.
On the off the court it's obviously different. I still, you know, believe it's important to be a fair player and, yeah, don't lose your appearance just because people might say you're too nice.
Q. I'm sure that you were told or knew even before this match how aggressive Dinara is returning serve, and she started off on the baseline, maybe even inside the baseline. Then you backed her off. How much of a relief was that for you to see her backing off the baseline so she would be little less dangerous returning serve?
ANA IVANOVIC: Honestly, since the last match we played, I had feeling she improved a lot in her movement, and also in her service shots. She was much more aggressive than I remember, so obviously that was something I had to adapt and to take that time away from her. Because in the beginning, I try, you know, to maybe look too much, and she was taking advantage of it.
So I had to change it and step up a little bit more and move into the court and give her less time.
That's something I did very well. And also, my first serve percentage, I believe it was better than in last match. That's something that was important, because if she faces lot of second serves, obviously, she likes to take advantage of that.
Q. This is another huge moment for Serbian tennis after what Novak has achieved in Melbourne earlier this year. You winning here as the world No. 1. I mean, are we now in a period of dominance with Serbian players like yourself, Novak, and Jelena?
ANA IVANOVIC: I hope so. No, it's amazing. It's amazing achievement. And, you know, for Novak to win the first Grand Slam for Serbian beginning of the year. You know, going into today's final I thought of it, and I said, Come on. He could do it, I could do it, too. So it's something that for sure motivates, and I hope also many young kids will get inspired from us.
But, you know, last year the three of us made a huge step here. We had two semifinalists and a finalist, and it was the first time we did really good all together at the Grand Slam.
So, you know, coming back this year and he winning a title and now me, it's something that ‑‑ I mean, people back home I think really appreciate, and it's very thrilling for us, too.
Q. Do you feel winning the title today confirms your spot as the world No. 1, and that that was important? Do you think that you will be able to hold onto it for a long time, the No. 1?
ANA IVANOVIC: This title, it's very important for me, because that was my dream for a long time. You know, reaching position No. 1 even, you know, before I played this match in the final was great award.
But then again, you know, you have to still ‑‑ when you're on the court you have to play your game, and rankings speak for themselves. You know, you just have to make sure to keep doing the right things on the court and play your matches, and the rankings, they take care of themselves.
You know, it's obviously very, very sweet and nice, you know, to reach that. But, you know, you have to make sure you're still working hard on the court.
Q. Four weeks today we'll know the winner of the next Grand Slam. Do you think it's possible that you can win Wimbledon, as well?
ANA IVANOVIC: Well, it's ‑‑ I have to tell you the truth, I'm still, you know, in Paris and trying to enjoy this victory and not thinking still about the grass.
But for sure, you know, I want to, you know, go there and wanting to win a title, because every tournament you play you want to win.
And obviously now a lot of players will, you know, play their best tennis against me, because they want to obviously play ‑‑ show their best game.
But, yeah, still, I think I have good chance. I've been working really hard, and this hard work gives results. So, you know, next week I have time to, you know, a little bit relax, recover, and also prepare on the grass before Eastbourne and Wimbledon.
Q. We hear a lot about your team. We don't know very much about your parents, and they've chosen to kind of stay in the background. Is that their choice or yours? How did you come to that decision?
ANA IVANOVIC: No, it's their choice. They really ‑‑ they always supported me, maximum. My mom travels with me most of the time, but they don't like to give interviews or to be, you know, in the media. They like to keep aside and, yeah, support me from the back a little bit.
They leave it up to me, you know, to my coaches to do the right job. They're always there, you know, to support me and give me the best possible advice.
Q. Do you think that made you more independent?
ANA IVANOVIC: Obviously, you know, it makes you stronger. My parents never forced me into anything. You know, they always supported my decisions, and I think it's important, because you get ‑‑ when you're on court, first of all, you have to make your own decisions.
So in some way it makes me much, much stronger. And also since I was very young I started traveling and my mom came often with me, which was great thing. And, yeah, she's like my best friend, too.
Q. Very historic day. Was it comforting to look and see Henin sitting, watching the match rather than across the net as she was last year? I don't know if you're feeling better about that? You got over that pretty easily, didn't you?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah. I mean, many, many people ask me, Oh, you want to forget the last year's final? But I don't, because it was great learning experience. Obviously it hurted (sic) at the time and it hurted after, but she's a great champion. I lost to great champion and I learned a lot from her, from the way she handled herself in that final.
You know, seeing her today in the crowd, you know, it made me feel really, really good, you know. I thought, you know, maybe I can be like her, I can win a title. So it was really thrilling when she also handed me the a trophy.
Q. Has the forehand always been a natural stroke for you? It's a wonderful stroke.
ANA IVANOVIC: Thanks.
Q. Has that always been pretty much part of you?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, since I was a kid I always had that forehand, and I always hit it very hard. My father used to say always, If you could play that forehand under the line to go, that would be my favorite shot. Because I always tried to hit it so hard.
Q. Novak was the first Serbian to win a Grand Slam in singles. You were the first Serbian to be No. 1. Is there some kind of competition between you, the Serbians, Jelena, too?
ANA IVANOVIC: Competition came natural, hasn't it?
Yeah, I mean, it's great achievement from him. Like I said, you know, going into today's final I thought of his victory, you know, earlier this year, and I thought, you know, Why not? I can win a title, as well.
It's something that will motivates us, you know, and I'm sure he will also reach his goal of being No. 1, you know, one day. He has great potential.
Jelena, on the other hand, she also is a great girl, and I really hope she can achieve her dreams.
Q. One of the most worrying moments for you was when you stood on that chair at the end and climbed into the VIP box. Obviously meant a lot to you to get into the box. Who was there for you to greet?
ANA IVANOVIC: I tried to call them to help me to come up, but they were hugging each other. I was like, Hey, what about me?
But then I had to take it, you know, my possibility to climb over that chair. I don't know what I was doing. I just tried to get to them as soon as I could.
My brother was there, my fitness coach and my family. Everyone I could I hugged, doesn't matter who it was.
Q. Were you surprised to see Henin there during the match? And what did she say to you afterwards?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, definitely I was surprised. But at the same time I was glad to see her there. She's a great champion. She won this tournament so many times.
When she handed me the trophy, it was, you know, very thrilling moment, as well. She said, Well done. You really deserve it. It meant a lot to me.
Q. Dinara today when she was on the center court, she looked in a way the way you were there in front of Justine last year with the lack of experience or lack of Grand Slam final. Did you think about that, and did you feel much more confident saying, Now it's me in Justine's place and she's a newcomer? Did it give you a belief right in the beginning? And the second thing, do you really feel you're the happiest woman today on the earth?
ANA IVANOVIC: That's for sure. I think so. Obviously when I was in the court I realized, you know, she was nervous. I try also to look back at the way I felt last year, and it made me more calm because I had those experience and I went through that.
It was great learning experience, so, you know, I tried to think about those things, too. Because obviously there is so many emotions within yourself, that you're thinking of, and it's very easy to forget what other person feels.
And most of the time they're nervous, too, so this is what I had to work hard on and to realize that she had probably feels more nervous than I do.
That's something that gave me a lot of confidence, you know, and strength to step up in some important points.
Q. It's a great achievement to win. You're incredibly happy. Sometimes people look forward and they say, Well, what comes next? Are you at all concerned or afraid of what the future looks like for someone who's gotten so big so quickly?
ANA IVANOVIC: You know, future comes soon enough, so why worry about that? Yeah, it's just a great moment for me.
Like I said, I felt I came a long way since first two tournaments on clay. I learned a lot from that, and it was some tough times. But when you go through these things, it makes you stronger.
So I learned a lot from it, and I feel like I found the tools that helped me to be in the moment when I'm on the court.
Like I said, you know, some days it's much harder to do than others. Still, you know, I feel this will help me in the future. Obviously, you know, being No. 1 now holds more pressure. But you're also a professional athlete, and if you want to achieve your goals you have to learn how to handle the pressure and realize that pressure is also kind reward, because you put yourself to in a position to doing something memorable.
Q. While in the press room, we are discussing if you are the best looking woman who has ever won the tournament. I want you to know that you have already beaten the stats of Justine Henin, because last year she say 14 times, Allez. You say 17 times today, Adje. Even in the middle of the night sometimes you wake up and you turn and you say, Adje?
ANA IVANOVIC: I'm sure tonight I will, if I sleep at all.
Q. When you did you start to say Adje? Since you were five years old?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yes. Yeah, I think it dates long time back. But, yeah, it just comes natural actually. Lately I say quite few, Come ons, as well, because I'm working with coaches that I speak English with, and people back home I don't think they like that that much. No, it's something I think of a little bit.

Don't know how people can dislike her...

RenaSlam.
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Too cordial and diplomatic -- Call her a bitch or something Ana :lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
The last 2 questions :haha: :rolls:

bodan
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
"I tried to call them to help me to come up, but they were hugging each other. I was like, Hey, what about me?"

Actually, it is so refereshing to see Ana opening up in her interviews.

"Jelena, on the other hand, she also is a great girl, and I really hope she can achieve her dreams."

And you, haters, be warned, this sentence will be coming after you whenever you start a thread how Ana and Jelena can't stand each other.

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM
These interviewers are starting to get on my nerve
They basically answer the question for the players so when they ask it, the players get stuck and just relay what they say :o

but still love her answers can't believe she climbed that high

hayleytrotter
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM
hahah someone on here said she probably says ajde when she gets out of bed correctly. It was hilarious!

I miss justines allez's though, but again - congrats ana. she deserved it :) X

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Q. While in the press room, we are discussing if you are the best looking woman who has ever won the tournament. I want you to know that you have already beaten the stats of Justine Henin, because last year she say 14 times, Allez. You say 17 times today, Adje. Even in the middle of the night sometimes you wake up and you turn and you say, Adje?
ANA IVANOVIC: I'm sure tonight I will, if I sleep at all.
Q. When you did you start to say Adje? Since you were five years old?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yes. Yeah, I think it dates long time back. But, yeah, it just comes natural actually. Lately I say quite few, Come ons, as well, because I'm working with coaches that I speak English with, and people back home I don't think they like that that much. No, it's something I think of a little bit.

:spit: Discussing about Ana being the best looking woman to have ever won the tournament? Seriously? :lol:

And the "Adje" question :haha:

I love this girl. She is now the "Justine" in my heart :kiss:

LDF
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Q. You speak so quickly as Monica Seles and her time; it's amazing. But why wasn't Sven Groeneveld today up there, or he was watching another place?

Even in the middle of the night sometimes you wake up and you turn and you say, Adje?

What are the interviewers on :spit:

JackFrost
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Well, what should Ana else say? "You see, I hate Jelena and I´m sooooo happy I showed the bitch now and forever who the queen of serbia is *harharhar*". :lol:
She was polite, nothing else.

Polikarpov
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
[B]...What are the interviewers on :spit:

Maybe the journalists thought they could get away with such questions with Ana because they know she's too nice not to answer or give a bitchy response. :lol:

-NAJ-
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
i am happy because Ana won GS and her #1 in world but on other side is Jelena.

i hope that JJ is ok.
Because JJ I can't be totally happy today.

spiritedenergy

Even in the middle of the night sometimes you wake up and you turn and you say, Adje?

What are the interviewers on :spit:

:lol:

Great and funny interview:yeah:

Emina.
Nice words Ana :)

AnomyBC
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'd love to wake up in the middle of the night from Ana screaming "adje!" I don't even know what "adje" means, but it would still be awesome :hearts:

bodan
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I'd love to wake up in the middle of the night from Ana screaming "adje!" I don't even know what "adje" means, but it would still be awesome :hearts:

I thought it should be "ajde", not "adje". Means "Come on"/"Allez"/"Vamos" in Serbian.

-NAJ-
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
it's AJDE

Branimir
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Some questions were very stupid and Ana's answers are so diplomatic she can't go wrong lol. Very little room for haters to come up with something. She must learn from Nole! :) Nole always leave something there for haters to pick up. :P

mb011
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM

actually it is written (as well as said) : AJDE!

such a great positive nad mature interview from ana. she sounds like a true great champion to be. nice to hear fine things about jelena too, they are going to play FedCup together so the respect is needed.

bodan
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
i hope that JJ is ok.
Because JJ I can't be totally happy today.

Well, JJ is certainly not happy Ana beat her, but I don't think Ana winning RG is making that even much worse.
It can only boost JJ's motivation to work harder without ruining her confidence more than what it was after the semi.

I actually think the RG trophy will make Ana reconsider Jelena's multiple offers to play together doubles in Beijing.

spiritedenergy
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Well, JJ is certainly not happy Ana beat her, but I don't think Ana winning RG is making that even much worse.
It can only boost JJ's motivation to work harder without ruining her confidence more than what it was after the semi.

I actually think the RG trophy will make Ana reconsider Jelena's multiple offers to play together doubles in Beijing.

If all, she must be happy to have lost to the champion and pushed her to a 3rd set. This can only bode well for Jelena.

mb011
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM

might be true about beijing. ana will have great confidence now, and might just be relaxed enough to play doubles in olympics. now that would be spectacular!

Vaidisova Ruled
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Too cordial and diplomatic -- Call her a bitch or something Ana :lol:
I love Ana but you are correct. She didn't say smething REALLY interesting, too diplomatic.

Mileen
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
bla-bla :yawn:

lestat111
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :lick:

frenchie
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Q. While in the press room, we are discussing if you are the best looking woman who has ever won the tournament.

What about Nastya??:confused:
Idiot:rolleyes:

jegood
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Yes, as bodan said it's not 'adje' it's 'AJDE' means something like 'c'mon'.:wavey:

debby
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Q. While in the press room, we are discussing if you are the best looking woman who has ever won the tournament.

What about Nastya??:confused:
Idiot:rolleyes:

Ana has better teeth than Nastya :tape:

frenchie
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Ana has better teeth than Nastya :tape:

this comment from a JH fan:tape::tape::help: