PDA

View Full Version : Now onto the grass

toxina90
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I really can't wait for the grass tournaments and Wimbledon, which players do you think will be more successful?

I don't have a clue really, its like last year where Venus had so-so form, struggled in a few matches but eventually stormed to the Wimbledon title.
Thats the thing about the Williams at that tournament, they can just pop up and win it. Especially with Henin gone, I can't see anyone threatening either of them.

My thoughts are Venus, Serena, Maria, Lindsey and Jelena will be successful, and also Elena who has gotten back into great form. Safina ofcourse, but I haven't seen her play on grass. Also Daniela, but I'm not sure how long she'll be injured, shame with her and Golovin, in such terrific form earlier this year.

I'm hoping Julia will do well, she actually put up a fight at RG so I think she might just be back also from another injury :bounce:

As for the new number 1, who knows? I'm not sure of her style on grass or how she will cope with the top spot.

InsideOut.
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
^OP: Your analysis = declaration of faves. Dementieva will do really well on grass. Yeah right...if she has a better serve. Well it's not as bad as it used to be but still...come on.

Anyway I was getting tired of clay, now finally we have the liberation. :lol:

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Grass :woohoo:

Olórin
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I think either Serena or Venus will win it again.

Sharapova should be considered the form favourite imo. Closely followed by Ana.

Elena, Jelena and Lindsay will make some noise as well. I don't see us having a "Bartoli" like last year though.

hankqq
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Dementieva doesn't do well on grass. Ivanovic made the semis last year, so I think she'll do well. Didn't Jankovic lose to Bartoli (I'm not entirely sure??)??

I think Venus, Serena, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova Davenport and Jankovic will all do well and should make the quarters of Wimbledon. Safina hasn't shown she can play on grass yet, even though I think with her game she should.

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Without knowledge of the draw, I think the QF will consist of the following 8 players:

01. Venus Williams
02. Serena Williams
03. Maria Sharapova
04. Ana Ivanovic
05. Jelena Jankovic
06. Svetlana Kuznetsova
07. Victoria Azarenka (I think she could be a potential surprise SF/F)
08. Lindsay Davenport

Mikey.
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I think Serena will be a top pick for wimbledon considering her overall form this year. If Maria can retool her serve in the couple of weeks she has off between now and Wimbledon she could also do quite well. Ana will be riding high on confidence being the newly crowned FO champ and #1 so she also could have a good chance of doing very well at wimbledon. Venus's chances are questionable since she has not been in the greatest form as of late, but she is known to pull good form from no where when venturing through Wimbledon. Jelena will have to have a very good draw and/or play absolutely flawless tennis to be able to pull off the title or get very deep in the draw. So much like the French open this year, it is probably quite open.

Lucas_Arg
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Maria and Serena.
Venus should be a favorite but her year has been pathetic, though Wimbledon is her home.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I think either Serena or Venus will win it again.

Sharapova should be considered the form favourite imo. Closely followed by Ana.

Elena, Jelena and Lindsay will make some noise as well. I don't see us having a "Bartoli" like last year though.

Yea I agree with this analysis. Maria will be the odds on favorite, but both Serena and Venus are very capable of playing themselves into dominant form on the grass. More so Serena. Davenport could be very sneaky depending on her draw. I don't expect too much out of the Serbs here. Semi Finals at best but QF seems more likely. If they run into one of the big guns I just don't think they can contend. Grass and clay are like night and day.

I think this could be the best GS of the year.

Aloimeh
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Top contenders: V. Williams, Sharapova, Ivanovic. I don't see anyone else winning it.

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I don't see JJ doing anything but i hope am wrong :o

Aloimeh
Jun 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I don't see JJ doing anything but i hope am wrong :o

JJ, Safina, and S. Williams aren't going to do anything. Grass is not Serena's best surface, JJ doesn't have it in her to beat V. Williams, Sharapova, or Ana on grass or hard court. And Safina is just like Tsonga in the AO 2008, the star of the tournament but not someone who will maintain the consistency, especially on grass.

At the present, I think a healthy Venus has the best chance, followed by Ivanovic or Sharapova (with about equal chances).

Dodoboy.
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I am not including Serena in this until i see her first match.

I am so excited to see we are off the dirt!

G&R
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I hope daniela will be ready to make a surprise.....maybe at wimbledon!! (obviously if she is 100% healthy)...jelena did well on grass in the past...williams sisters,sharapova,ana and jelena will be more successful on grass

smokovec
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I doubt Ivanovic can be one of the top contenders on grass, we will see...

Mikey.
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
JJ, Safina, and S. Williams aren't going to do anything. Grass is not Serena's best surface, JJ doesn't have it in her to beat V. Williams, Sharapova, or Ana on grass or hard court. And Safina is just like Tsonga in the AO 2008, the star of the tournament but not someone who will maintain the consistency, especially on grass.

At the present, I think a healthy Venus has the best chance, followed by Ivanovic or Sharapova (with about equal chances).

I think you'll find that JJ beat Venus at Wimbledon 2006, and she also beat Maria last year at the Birmingham final. :)

danieln1
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I want Lindsay to reach at least the quarter final, since she´s one of the best grass court players... It would be great if Chakvetadze was her 3rd round opponent, but she has the game to beat a lot of players!
I want Ana vs Lindsay in the final!

amirbachar
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Without knowledge of the draw, I think the QF will consist of the following 8 players:

01. Venus Williams
02. Serena Williams
03. Maria Sharapova
04. Ana Ivanovic
05. Jelena Jankovic
06. Svetlana Kuznetsova
07. Victoria Azarenka (I think she could be a potential surprise SF/F)
08. Lindsay Davenport

Azarenka is 16th tight now, so she suppose to meet one of the top 4 in the quaters.
That's why what you wrote can't happen.

Dennis^^
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Krajicek will win it ;).

Jakeev
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I doubt Ivanovic can be one of the top contenders on grass, we will see...

What's fascinating about Wimbledon is that in less than a month, the round of 16 will look almost entirely different compared to the French Open outside of maybe a half dozen players.

Will be fascinating to see how for instance French Open finalists Ana and Dinara fare on the Wimbledon big stage.

Bruno71
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't see Ivanovic losing early unless she gets stuck with Davenport again. Maria should be able to go far if she can get her serve in working order, and Venus & Serena should be considered the favorites. Lindsay, JJ, Lena, Sveta, Vera, & possibly Marion will play spoilers.

Dodoboy.
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
They had better give Lindsay a special seeding or something!

Third round is still a bit extreme to meet Lindsay.

lilimi
Jun 8th, 2008, 08:45 AM
well, i don't like grass season. matches are boring to me (few player end shot at the net)i prefer rallies.i only appreciate when venus plays on. moreover, i can't see matches live and when wimbly is over, we have almost 2 months of non tennis :sad:

anyways i think favourites are sharapova, serena and venus if she wants to play.
ana can do well of course.
dinara too she made the finals in junior, i think. if she uses this very short season to serve & volley, she could make some damage there too.

Sharapowerr
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Maria/Venus i think maybe Elena D

So Disrespectful
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Venus Williams
Daniela Hantuchova
Lindsay Davenport
Casey Dellacqua to cause a few upsets.
Maria Sharapova
Svetlana Kuznetsova

Jankovic and Ivanovic are better suited to clay but can still win the title.

kwilliams
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Venus, Serena and Sharapova.

I think Ivanovic, Jankovic and Davenport will do well too.

Dave.
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
The 3 faves are Serena, Venus and Sharapova. They are the best 3 players on grass right now. Any one of these players are capable of hitting a good patch of form & dominating the tournament from the second week.

I think the Serbs, as the top 2 seeds are definetely the favourites after the 3 I mentioned before, who could easily stumble in the early rounds and open up the draw for Ana & Jelena, who don't lose early in slams anymore.

Obviously the next big player after these is Lindsay Davenport. If she can avoid the WS/Sharapova, I would favour her to go far into the draw. The serbs would have to be 100% to be able to beat Lindsay, who is alot more comfortable on grass than they are. If Lindsay did reach the 4R/QF, it would be the highlight of her comeback so far.

and don't count out Marion! She's back on her fave surface and (like she proved last year), anything can happen.

Slutiana
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I think you'll find that JJ beat Venus at Wimbledon 2006, and she also beat Maria last year at the Birmingham final. :)
That match was the beginning of Venus' wrist injury. Which kept her out til Memphis last year.

Dawson.
Jun 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
my picks for the quarters;

Venus
Serena
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Jankovic
Davenport
Kuznetsova
Zvonareva

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM

:weirdo: care to share how you came to that conclusion

disco_rage
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I think it is going to be very interesting this year. Who knows what will happen?

Wtrain
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
:weirdo: care to share how you came to that conclusion

I was about to ask the same thing. :lol:

Golovinjured.
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
It would be too funny if Marion reached the final again and we were stuck with he in the top 10 for another year :tape:

I think Serena and Maria should be favourites, closely followed by Venus. I hope Ivanovic can back up her French Open title with atleast a SF :)

With a handy draw I think Dellacqua could continue her Grand Slam success and reach the 4th Round, or maybe Qtrs (lol - optimism :)). I'm also hoping Jela Dokic can get a WC and atleast reach the second round :D

Russianboy
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
sharapova or williams will win wimbledon. can't see anybody else winning it

Ben.
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Obviously the Williams Sisters, Linds & Masha are my odd on favourites, no doubt given their outstanding records at Wimbledon with a combined 8 titles between them. Although if you add Amelie in the mix, thats 9 titles between them.

Ana has a great chance of doing well, I mean coming off a GS win will no doubt give her heaps of confidence & that should be enough for her to secure a QF spot at least.
But if she draws Lindsay earlier in the tournament, well its uncertain.

Its actually very hard to pick a winner this year since most of the top players struggled at the FO.

Ben.
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Oh and I hope with a good draw & a bit of luck, the Aussies will cause some damage (especially Dellacqua).

harloo
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
If Venus can get her act together she'll be the favorite here. Wimbledon is her best surface and she can destroy just about every player in the top ten on this surface.

Serena is another favorite but I don't know about her nerves during grand slams anymore. She'll get to the qtrs for sure, and if she can relax thereafter expect to see her in the final. Otherwise, she'll be going home.

Maria is another favorite who can play tremendous grass court tennis. If she gets her double faults under control I see her reaching the final. The thing about Maria though is she better pray that Venus plays bad and loses early. Venus plays Maria so well at Wimbledon.

Dinara will have alot of confidence from all her tough clay wins. Whether she does extremely well at Wimbledon is a mystery. I think she's a better player but as displayed in the FO final still has a lot of mental weaknesses.

You would think Ana is the favorite but I don't believe she'll be able to do the French/Wimbledon double. That feat has only been accomplished by one player in history. I'm not sure if Ana is mentally stable enough to conquer that just yet.:)

Jelena Jankovic will be at the mercy of big server's. Until she fine tunes her serve Wimbledon will never be in her grasp. I think she'll get far but lose to one of the big babes in two sets.

Favorites (Venus, Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic)

Il Primo!
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Venus Williams
Daniela Hantuchova
Lindsay Davenport
Casey Dellacqua to cause a few upsets.
Maria Sharapova
Svetlana Kuznetsova

Jankovic and Ivanovic are better suited to clay but can still win the title.

:lol::o

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hopefully they are on the opposite sides of the draw again...I can see a all williams final...!

Direwolf
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I just dont think that the Serbians can beat
3top players back2back2back...

they have to beat
Linds-Sharapova-Venus-Serena and each other...

I'll go with Venus and Serena once more...
pls be angry guys...

Slutati
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I hate grass:(

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
why marko :awww:

Slutati
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
why marko :awww:
Grass is for cows. All my faves suck on grass, Dementieva is useless and Golovin is always injured:yawn: Plus Wimbledon is so boring. Bring on the hardcourts and US Open:rocker2: