PDA

View Full Version : Who's Your Favourite For Wimbledon?

Noctis
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Mine is Obvious:rolleyes:

the jamierbelyea
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I still will pick Venus until someone takes her out there. She's like a different person out there.

ASP0315
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Since Dinara lost the RG i will pick her to win wimby. :p

Mikey.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Serena.

Backhand_stille
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
JElena

RenaSlam.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Tough to bet against The Queen.

Hoping Serena or Venus. Maria has a strong shot if she gets that serve under control. I want an All-Williams final though.

heart
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
amelie..which is definitely impossible :tape:

hayleytrotter
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
maria, of course.

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Serena:worship: Venus too

Emina.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think Serena and Venus...:)

would love to see Maria or Jelena take this ;)

markdelaney
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM
who ticked Chakvetadze ?

Lucas_Arg
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Maria will improve her serve (AO kinda) and win this again.

Kworb
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM
It's an even year so probably not a sister...

1. Maria
2. Venus
3. Serena
4. Jelena

No one else has a chance.

Emina.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
It's an even year so probably not a sister...

1. Maria
2. Venus
3. Serena
4. Jelena

No one else has a chance.

I think Ana has a good chance too :)

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Maria will surely win Wimbledon.:o

markdelaney
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
why isn't Bartoli in the list ?

ASP0315
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I think Ana has a good chance too :)

if she gets good draw yes. Otherwise she will be not be reachin qf or better on grass court. grass is deffierent from clay.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:17 PM
By God's name, I hope the winner this year isn't "her".... :scared: (Clue: cake)

markdelaney
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
By God's name, I hope the winner this year isn't "her".... :scared: (Clue: cake)

Miss Gateau, some unknown French player ?

mboyle
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Maria is the odds makers' favorite. Serena played really really badly all red clay season. Maria was expected to lose to Safina, who played well. Her serve needs to get better, but I think it will.

Obviously, if Serena or Venus finds form, no one else stands a chance at Wimbledon, but I don't expect that to happen this year. I think I'd personally like to see Maria or Serena win. Venus has had enough turns:p !

jfk
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:20 PM
1. Venus
2. Maria
3. Ana
4. Serena

Those 4 are way ahead of the field.

The tier below includes Lindsay, Kuznetsova, and Jankovic.

Off-form players who should still be considered include Vaidisova and Mauresmo.

Some of the young hard-hitters (Wozniacki, Azarenka, etc.) could go far if they get drawn to some of the top seeds with limited grass ability (e.g. Dementieva, Chakvetadze, Schnyder).

And who knows whether Safina's clay success will translate to Wimbledon.

The Daviator
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Others = Mama D :angel: Then I'd be REALLY happy :lol:

wtatennisballer
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Venus. She's Michael Jordan on grass.:smoke:

mboyle
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM
if she gets good draw yes. Otherwise she will be not be reachin qf or better on grass court. grass is deffierent from clay.

Ana plays fine on grass. She got to the semis last year. Grass suits her game. It rewards her flat power. She shouldn't actually play well on clay and I have no idea why she does. She can't even slide.

justine schnyder
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I think Sharapova/Serena/Venus will come on fire.

Mikey.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
who ticked Chakvetadze ?

:spit:

Mikey.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Ana plays fine on grass. She got to the semis last year. Grass suits her game. It rewards her flat power. She shouldn't actually play well on clay and I have no idea why she does. She can't even slide.

She does well on clay because it gives her more time to set up big forehand shots and to also allow her to run around her backhand to hit even more forehands.

Since grass is fast she hasn't been able to run around as many backhands to hit more forehand shots in the past. But since her backhand and her agility have drastically improved over the past year, this should be less of a problem for her at wimbledon this year because she wont need to run around her backhand as much, but if she did she would be faster at it.

friendsita
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Venus

Sean.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Why are people saying JJ?

Nothing against her but her game just isn't suited to grass. Wimbledon fast courts favour people with big groundstrokes as it gives the opponent less time to get it back and also a big serve can get you many free points.

That is not JJ, granted her backhand is good but her main game is retriving and percentage serving. This just doesn't work on grass.

I think again this slam is completely open.

Main contenders (no order):

Maria - huge ground game and serve when it's on, faster courts mean ger weak movement is not as limiting. Will playing no warm-up events herp or hinder her? And how will her serve be? A lot depends on that. Has won it previously

Venus - can you ever count her out? 4 times winner, defending champion. Lots of confidence on grass. But recent form is not great. She will be very heard to stop if she goes deap into the tournament

Serena - as with Venus, it's stupid to count her out. Former champion here and good game for grass (serve and power). Worrying mental lapses recently though, perhaps confidence isn't so high.

Ana - World #1 and FO winner in great form - meaning big confidence. Though she can e known to lapse after a big win and go away mentally cometimes. SF here last year and a good game for grass

Other 'dark horses':

Safina, Azarenka, Vaidisova, Davenport

smokovec
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Sharapova is my favourite; then I pick Serena Williams, don't know if Venus can play well again this Year in Wimbledon.

Then Jankovic, because she can adapt well on every surface and 2007 grass results are good, surprises Hantuchova or Golovin if healty, Zvonareva because she is in form and has a decent record on grass, and last I give a little chanche to my Anna Chakvetadze, maybe she start play well right now and on grass she is dangerous.

SOA_MC
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM
who ticked Chakvetadze ?

Sammy01 my guess

Galsen
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
no Venus will win on grass she's like Serena on hard but maybe Serena if she plays well she can win i think it will be Venus or Serena revenge to RG

Bartosh
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM
1. Venus

2. Maria
3. Serena
4. Ana

;)

Galsen
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Maria will be crush like in 2007 by Venus or Serena

Craig.
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Sensing a 4th Slam for the Siberian. After her early loss at the French this year, I think she'll be real hungry to win another Slam this year. And why not Wimbledon, her best surface and her favorite Slam.

Sexysova
I hope Nicole will breakthrough... the final would be perfect! :D I don't know who will win.. I think it's between Maria/Serena/Venus... I think Venus always plays well there though she plays like crap before :D

Slampova
Maria. After losing to Safina I see her being motivated to win here...

Sharapowerr
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Maria will win,

LindsayRulz
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Either Venus or Serena

LucasArg
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Venus Williams :hearts:

DownTheLine21
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM
This event is wide open, but I can only see about four women actually winning it (Venus, Serena, Sharapova, and Ivanovic). Maria is obviously eager to forget her loss in RG, so she will definitely be motivated to do well. Ana's confidence will also be running high after her first GS victory. However, I think this will come down to the Williams sisters. One of them is taking the title, and I think Venus will turn up the heat once again.

Scotso
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Venus

SOA_MC
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Sensing a 4th Slam for the Siberian. After her early loss at the French this year, I think she'll be real hungry to win another Slam this year. And why not Wimbledon, her best surface and her favorite Slam.

I thought her favorite Slam was the US Open?

ASP0315
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Grass is quite fast and you need to quick in decision making. plus you gotta move around well.(which is going to be difficult for ana on grass imo.) A lot of big serve players play well on clay and struggle on grass. Kuerten and Safin are perfect examples.

she reached semis true but none of the oponents she defeated are quality opponents and niether of them are top 10. petrova(#11) is and vaidisova(#14) are pretty average players and she lost to venus very easily.(who was seeded #23 offcourse.)

I hope she does play well to defend her points. she needs to take one match at a time.

young_gunner913
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I think Venus can take it again for #5. If not then I think it will be Serena or Maria. I can only really see those three winning. I don't think Ana will win.

elise1986
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'll be cheering for Ana ;)

CORIA01
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
maria and ana

elise1986
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
i'll be cheering for Ana :bounce:

ASP0315
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
oh yes i'm quite suprised to see no one picked kuznetsova. ;)

Beat
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
i picked "other" as in: marion bartoli! :woohoo: ;)

Galsen
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I just want to see the huge Venus's serve

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
i just want to see some grass tennis :sobbing:

Chris 84
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Sharpie

Craig.
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I thought her favorite Slam was the US Open?

Nope. She's always said Wimbledon's her favorite Slam. New York is her favorite city though.

StZox
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Don't count out Jelena!!!

LDF
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'll be shocked if the winner isn't either Serena, Venus or Maria.

Wiggly
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Someone who didn't made QFs in Paris.

Vincey!
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Sharapova, obviously :lol:

Kart
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Currently, Sharapova as she's been playing well.

Though I'd rather it was Venus.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
My favourites to win: Maria then Venus then Serena then Ana

AcesHigh
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Sharapova has been having issues with her serve. If she can't serve well, her chances will not be that great.

Venus is the HEAVY favorite. People who have said she's out of form are missing one thing:
She is coming to net A LOT which means she'll be even harder to stop at Wimbledon this year. If Venus is forcing the issue and coming to net, I don't see anyone but an in-form Davenport stopping her and I don't expect Lindsay to turn back the clock.

Serena has a GREAT chance but she'll have to be very fit and FINALLY stay in form for 7 matches. She's had way too many lapses in slams since AO '07 and she hasn't made a Wimby semi since 2004. With Henin gone, Mauresmo near retirement, Lindsay not really a force and Venus terribly inconsistent, she could do it. If her serve is clicking, the likes of Sharapova, Ivanovic or Jankovic are not going to stop her.

I don't really like Kuzy's chances here and Jelena needs to beef up her ground game if she wants to win here.
My list:
1-Venus

2-Serena/Maria

3-Ana/Lindsay

Derek.
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Maria
4. Ana
5. :shrug:

Il Primo!
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Maria. Hopefully!

DutchieGirl
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Krajicek! :p (No, OK, that's a joke)

I guess Maria & Venus would have to be the 2 biggest faves. Maybe Linds can surprise people.

DownTheLine21
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Krajicek! :p (No, OK, that's a joke)

I guess Maria & Venus would have to be the 2 biggest faves. Maybe Linds can surprise people.

It's sad that a mention of her name has to be a joke. She played so well at Wimbledon last year and has just fallen apart since then. Maybe she can find some form at Birmingham, where the field isn't that strong.

Oswald56
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Voting for Maria, Cheering for Elena

Wtatennis212
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I like Justine. I think she's playing. It must be weird to watch a grand slam as a retired player who could still win the tournament.

Highlandman
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM
The one and only - Venus :yeah:

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Venus Williams. she owns that shit.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:10 AM
venus/serena/ana/maria in that order

DutchieGirl
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM
It's sad that a mention of her name has to be a joke. She played so well at Wimbledon last year and has just fallen apart since then. Maybe she can find some form at Birmingham, where the field isn't that strong.

Hope so, but I won't hold my breath. But hopefully being back on grass will help her - I'm going to Rosmalen & Wimby to watch her play so... I hope for some wins, since I'm flying from Aus to go there. :lol:

Emina.
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
For Wimbledon my favourite is Maria ;)

miss_molik
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I want Jelena to win :p

ASP0315
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Krajicek! (No, OK, that's a joke)

I guess Maria & Venus would have to be the 2 biggest faves. Maybe Linds can surprise people

Krajicek is capable of creating upsets even though she might lose the next round immediatly. :lol:
you do have a valid point, it is not a joke.

lowdowndirty
Jun 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM
If Venus shows up with her A game, she wins Wimbledon no doubt. If she doesn't, I'd put Maria/Ana/Serena as the outsiders.

kwilliams
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Venus
Serena
Sharapova
Ivanovic

DutchieGirl
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Krajicek is capable of creating upsets even though she might lose the next round immediatly. :lol:
you do have a valid point, it is not a joke.

Well - I always hope she will win of course (whatever she is playing) - but I really don't think she will win Wimby this year - a couple of matches would be nice though (as I will be there). ;)

LucasArg
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Venus always a favorite at Wimbledon :hearts:

babuska6
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Ana Ivanovic.:)
My dream winner : Daniela Hantuchova

shirley
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Maria would be my pick for Wimbledon then Venus

For old time's sake I'd love to see Lindsay win here again.

Ceri
Jun 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm not a fan, but unless her form is drastically sub-par, Venus is the favourite to win. She is other-worldly on grass. As for who I'd like to win most: Maria.

Wilson_07
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Venus
Serena
Sharapova
Ivanovic

i agree with those four as favourites...maybe add kuznetsova or jankovic here as some other ones who might have a good chance...i still picked venus as the top favourite, because she must be confident out there winning it so often, even in bad times of her career. and if shes confident shes still a dangerous force on grass, more than on any other surface.

austennis
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
i voted maria.. but u can never dicount venus or serena when they get on a roll
Ana would b too good to be true

jegood
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I guess:
1.Maria Sharapova
2.Venus Williams
3.Serena Williams
4.Ana Ivanovic
5.Dinara Safina
6.Jelena Jankovic
7.Elena Dementieva
I think that Maria and Williams sisters have better chances on grass than Ana, but it doesn't mean that Ana wouldn't play a little bit better on grass this year than last, because she's playing a better tennis in general this year.

ce
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
ok if one of these win Wimbledon i will be happy :)

Jelena Jankovic ( its time for 1. GS )
Venus Williams i :hearts: her on grass
Serena Williams i just love her
Maria Sharapova like her and she deserves n1 spot

jegood
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Ana slides really well, you can't win at RG if you don't slide.

Dawson.
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Since Dinara lost the RG i will pick her to win wimby. :p

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Max565
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Maria, Serena, Venus :)

itzhak
Jun 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
patty Schnyder. she is playing "great" on grass....

Topspin2
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Maria Sharapova and Williams sisters

sharapovarulz1
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Maria also Dinara :D

kittyking
Jun 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
patty Schnyder. she is playing "great" on grass....

Indeed I think that she has the same chance as last years finalist Marion Bartoli and Anna Chakvetadze of winning this title

Oh wait thats 0% :p

mr_burns
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
lindsay, she will have her run;-)

samsam4087
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Elena Dementieva

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Elena Dementieva

I was again expecting a picture... :sad:

Tennisstar86
Jun 9th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Imma go with this little girl whose won it twice since anyone else listed even made a final.....

Huntress55
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Maria :D

gmokb
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:48 AM
As long as a Williams is still standing I will say Williams, especially Vee. This is grass and both are healthy.

Kovalchuk
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Sharapova, i put some bet on her :angel:

Craig.
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Bump.....

Coffee&TV
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Maria :)

cn ireland
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think Sharapova will be the 2008 Wimbledon Champ :bounce:.

kadirelf
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Venus or Serena

rjd1111
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Maria is the odds makers' favorite. Serena played really really badly all red clay season. Maria was expected to lose to Safina, who played well. Her serve needs to get better, but I think it will.

Obviously, if Serena or Venus finds form, no one else stands a chance at Wimbledon, but I don't expect that to happen this year. I think I'd personally like to see Maria or Serena win. Venus has had enough turns:p !

Wimbledon is not played on Clay.

rjd1111
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Marion said: "Venus play some unbelievable tennis. She reached some balls like I never see one person reach some ball like that on a tennis court, and she would even hit it harder back to me.

"She served 120 miles on first serve. Sometimes was hurting my wrist so bad because the ball was coming so fast to me. So I really try my best I think, and I play a great match, but at the end she was just too good.

"I can't say a player can beat her when she play like this on grass. I mean, it's not possible to beat her. She's just too good, you know."

Shinjiro
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Maria. She looked pretty good at the French.

domagoj
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Davenport will take the title

Alexj
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Chaky for sure! Haha i wish.

mashamaniac
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Obviously maria and vee have the best chances to win wimbly this year...

Slutiana
Jun 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Bullshit, she slides and moves well on clay. She has a problem with her movement almost everywhere else, especially on grass.

Mchstnate
Jun 14th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I wonder if Safina will continue her Clay streak onto the grass court. If so..she has a fair chance, but id say

Maria or the Williams sisters.

Pasta-Na
Jun 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Na Li :p

morningglory
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Serena

Maria

Ana

Everyone else

Craig.
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Bump.

mal
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Davenport will take the title

The only way she will win it is if she has something to blackmail the others into losing, and then what value would it be?

I think it will be a final between Serena and Sharapova, not that Vesus can't win, jut don't believe this is her year, with her marriage and everything.

Craig.
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:07 AM
The only way she will win it is if she has something to blackmail the others into losing, and then what value would it be?

I think it will be a final between Serena and Sharapova, not that Vesus can't win, jut don't believe this is her year, with her marriage and everything.

:lol:

Uranium
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Venus all the way, the only one that could beat her is Serena on a Venus bad day:)

cocco80
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Venus & Maria

if not:

Serena, Ana and JJ

Wiggly
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I predict Venus will survives few MPs on Court 3 then will destroys everybody.

danieln1
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Lindsay and Ana... but realistic, Maria or Serena

Lindsayfan32
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Lindsay hasn't played in eight weeks she will be well rested and given her tack record at Wimbledon she has a pretty good shot provided she gets a good draw and she stays healthy.

Hardiansf
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I predict Venus will survives few MPs on Court 3 then will destroys everybody.
Amin. :angel: Go Vee:bounce:
But I've already pick Serena to win this year Wimbledon. But I really don't mind as long as one of Williams sister who hold the trophy.
If not WS, then Maria, Ana, and Sveta (:p) has a fair chance

tennisboi
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I voted for Ana she is a different person these days and she is so nice

Craig.
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Bump.