PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova changes Wimbledon routine, opting out of grass warmups in England

joão.
Jun 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
BIRMINGHAM, England: Maria Sharapova has decided not to compete on grass before Wimbledon for the first time in her career, opting out of playing her usual warm-up tournament in England.

Sharapova is hoping to avoid any injury concerns and will prepare at her home in Florida rather than compete in the DFS Classic that starts Monday in Birmingham. Sharapova has been a mainstay at the tournament for the last five years, winning it twice — including in 2004 when she went on to win Wimbledon.

She is also foregoing another grass-court warmup at Eastbourne the following week, choosing instead to copy the Williams sisters' tournament-free pre-Wimbledon schedule.

Sharapova has said she will aim for an easier schedule this year, after struggling with shoulder and pectoral muscle problems last year, which kept her sidelined for nearly two months after the U.S. Open in September.

"That was one of the toughest times of my career because I had to deal with things that were completely new to me," Sharapova said in a recent interview. "You know, being told by doctors that I can't go out and perform, it's kind of like a 'Stop' sign — and it was terrible."

Sharapova was upset by Dinara Safina in the fourth round of the French Open and will lose her No. 1 ranking to Ana Ivanovic next week. The Russian 21-year-old inherited the top ranking after Justine Henin surprisingly retired last month.

Sharapova considers Wimbledon her favorite tournament, and is looking to bounce back from missing out once again on the French Open title — the only Grand Slam she has not won.

But she said she is willing to make large sacrifices this year to protect her long-term health.

"I've got to kind of stand up and make some mature decisions that will help me throughout my career," she said.

So far, she has been true to her word, putting her health ahead of financial considerations.

By withdrawing from the Dubai Open in February — the week after winning the Qatar Open in Doha — Sharapova denied herself what is said to be the tour's most generous appearance money. And by pulling out of the Sony Ericsson Open in March, citing her troublesome shoulder, she earned a US$125,000 (€80,000) fine from the WTA.

Sharapova also risked a US$300,000 (€193,000) fine for refusing to perform a four-hour photo-shoot at the Italian Open in Rome last month, saying that it was "totally draining," and asked for support from readers on her Web site.

In the end a compromise on a 90-minute session was reached, but only after she said she was prepared to publicly criticize the WTA.

Sharapova also acknowledged earlier this year that she gets sick after many Grand Slams, succumbing to viruses when the post-tournament drop in adrenaline no longer protects her body from fatigue.

Still, she remains the favorite to win Wimbledon, according to British bookmakers. The latest odds have Sharapova at 9-4 to win the title, while Serena Williams is 11-4 and Venus Williams 5-1.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/07/sports/EU-SPT-TEN-DFS-Classic-Sharapova.php

ce
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
JJ N2 :hearts:

hablo
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
She is also foregoing another grass-court warmup at Eastbourne the following week, choosing instead to copy the Williams sisters' tournament-free pre-Wimbledon schedule.

It's funny. Sharpie always seems to be linked to the Williams sisters. :lol:

Lucas_Arg
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Well I'm still waiting for Eastbourne.

gary
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
that sucks :sad:

morningglory
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Well I'm still waiting for Eastbourne.

She's not JJ... srry cant see her winning 12 matches in a row... best get some rest the week right before a slam.
I think Masha made the right decision

goldenlox
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM
She worked harder on clay this year than usual.
She can use of few days less of hard training to keep her legs fresh

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Copy away Maria. We've all known you've been doing it for years. :lol:

Adal
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Lindsay was always doing it too :wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Lindsay was always doing it too :wavey:

Riight. She's doing it at Wimbledon too. :lol:

In fact she copied Serena pulling out of the French years before by doing it this year. :lol:

Dodoboy.
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM

NO!

Sharpie always seems to be copying the WS. Don't blame her though :lol:

hayleytrotter
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:44 PM
if shes copying the williams sisters, maybe she can copy venus and win it this yr ;)

Craig.
Jun 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
if shes copying the williams sisters, maybe she can copy venus and win it this yr ;)

Amen. :worship:

tequila
Jun 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Serena copycat :rolleyes:

goldlion
Jun 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
JJ N2 :hearts:

Isn't Maria still no.2 even she lost in R4?

Ana 4222

Maria 3806

Jelena 3755

gmokb
Jun 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, she is always copying the WS but then people always copy the best. Pretty soon you will see more players spending more time with off court activities so that they do not get burnt out too soon and quit the sport. Again, my girls are the leaders!!!!!!

johnoo
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
my god that is such a gamble,it takes a few rounds to get used to the grass and last year venus was so near to going out in the early rounds,normally maria's scheduling is good but too waste all that energy and time playing clay court tennis just for a tournament she was always going struggle to win,then have no preparation for a tournament on one of her favorite surfaces where she has a better chance of winning just does not make sense,oh well time will tell I suppose if the gamble pays off.

hankqq
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Well, I hope Sharapova is able to get the rest she needs, even if she had extra time since she lost in the 4th rd at RG. Still, very few players win Wimbledon without a prep grass tourney, so this might hurt her Wimbledon chances. I'm not too surprised she's copying Venus and Serena-since their formula works...

sharapovarulz1
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Just hope this works for her......!!!

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I'm not too surprised she's copying Venus and Serena-since their formula works...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:whatever. Beside this formula doesn't work for Serena since 2003. Time to change apparently.

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
yessss pova

come to eastbourne i need to see you :devil:

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:whatever. Beside this formula doesn't work for Serena since 2003. Time to change apparently.

works for venus;)

hankqq
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM

It works for Venus! :D 2X over Sharapova at Wimbledon...anyway I'm not here to argue and I said I hope Sharapova can be all rested for Wimbledon. I don't think she'll win without grass prep, but I guess it's better than risking an injury if she doen't feel 100%.

Serena injured her thumb last year, and that was unfortunate. She might have beaten Henin last year if not for that. Anyway, Serena will be so pissed about RG she'll be in spectacular form at Wimbledon.

lilimi
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
her game mostly depends on her serve. when she plays a lot, her shoulder gets injured so it must be the right decision.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
It works for Venus! :D 2X over Sharapova at Wimbledon...anyway I'm not here to argue and I said I hope Sharapova can be all rested for Wimbledon. I don't think she'll win without grass prep, but I guess it's better than risking an injury if she doen't feel 100%.

Serena injured her thumb last year, and that was unfortunate. She might have beaten Henin last year if not for that. Anyway, Serena will be so pissed about RG she'll be in spectacular form at Wimbledon.

That's what you wish, anyway wait and see.
About Maria, maybe there is no preparation, but after what she did in OZ without a true preparation, I'm sure she can win. Maria is always dangerous when nodody expects.

Vincey!
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I hope it will work well, I think it's the best thing to do. She has a great chance to win Wimbledon her only real opponent there are the Williams, so that's bright from her to get fresh and ready for Wimbledon ;)..

pov
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM

If she is copying that's credit to her. It's smart to utilize some tactics from others who have been very successful at what you do.

'Course if she is copying and her shoulder injury last year has nothing to do with it, one wonders why she didn't do the same routine in the past 3 years.

alfonsojose
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Why some Williamses' fans are so childish :shrug: What if she copies them, if she wears the same dresses or not . Get a life :help: Is a smart decision considering she played way more on clay this year ;)

SharapovaFan16
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
If she is copying that's credit to her. It's smart to utilize some tactics from others who have been very successful at what you do.

'Course if she is copying and her shoulder injury last year has nothing to do with it, one wonders why she didn't do the same routine in the past 3 years.

Exactly. Why not follow a successful blueprint? Why not try and do some of the things succesful people in the past have done? That's like any athlete trying to emulate a successful athlete of the past. The only people that seem to have a problem with it are tennis fans?

People don't complain if someone tries to copy Tiger Woods or copy Peyton Manning and how they go about their business. Typical WTAWorld drama.

Destiny
Jun 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I think this is a bad idea for Maria :awww:

While the sister's can skip tourneys they still can get enough grass play to get them through because they do doubles and mixed doubles matches
And what is Maria doing nothing ???

Problem :scratch:

homogenius
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Isn't Maria still no.2 even she lost in R4?

Ana 4222

Maria 3806

Jelena 3755

Jankovic will be n°2 after Birmingham (Maria is losing points from last years

Dodoboy.
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
This isn't the best decision for MARIA.

As someone said, the WS get extra match-play on grass in the form of doubles/mixed. Maria is taking a gamble here.

friendsita
Jun 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Good for her, maybe one day she can be as great as the williams sisters are, hope her the best :kiss:

Dodoboy.
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM
WS linked to Maria, who is now always being linked to ANA.

The torch is being passed :lol:

Bijoux0021
Jun 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Why some Williamses' fans are so childish :shrug: What if she copies them, if she wears the same dresses or not . Get a life :help: Is a smart decision considering she played way more on clay this year ;)
It's not childish. This reaction is because Sharapova fans have always gone out of their way to deny that she's copying Williams sisters no matter how blatant or subtle. Even the media can't deny it. What will be refreshing is for the media to soon admit that Sharapova always gets cupcake draws to the finals.

Il Primo!
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:48 PM
It's not childish. This reaction is because Sharapova fans have always gone out of their way to deny that she's copying Williams sisters no matter how blatant or subtle. Even the media can't deny it. What will be refreshing is for the media to soon admit that Sharapova always gets cupcake draws to the finals.

:yawn:

LDF
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Oh my. You don't stop, do you :help:

williams fan
Jun 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The William Sister Did It First!

Il Primo!
Jun 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM
The William Sister Did It First!

Do you know the WS arrived on the tour BEFORE Sharapova or are you going to also pretend Pova copied the WS by being born? :)