PDA

View Full Version : Then there was 11..................

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 9th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Russians in the Top 100 :bounce:

1-Elena Dementieva
2-Anastasia Myskina
3-Tatiana Panova
4-Elena Likhovtseva
5-Anna Kournikova
6-Vera Zvonareva
7-Alina Jidkova
8-Elena Bovina
9 Dinara Safina
10-Evgenia Koulikovskaya
11-Svetlana Kuznetsova

welcome Sveta to the Top 100 :)

1st time ever we have 11 girls in the top 100
Lina and Nadia will be back in the top 100 in 2003 for sure

and the new kids coming thru as well

the cat
Aug 9th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Where is Dinara? I thouhgt her first WTA title put her in the top 100.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 9th, 2002, 04:39 PM
oops that makes 11 then

the cat
Aug 9th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Eggy with an error? What is the world coming to? ;)

TS
Aug 9th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Welcome Sveta :bounce:

So thrilled for her :D

DEETHELICK
Aug 9th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Wow! Well I hope all the Russain girls do well and become great aggressive tennis players!

Lots of mental strength and lots of titles!!! :)

Cassius
Aug 10th, 2002, 01:17 AM
11:eek:
Fucking hell!!!!!!!!!:eek:
They're taking over, run for the hills!!!!!!!!!

auntie janie
Aug 11th, 2002, 12:53 AM
WHICH ONE WILL END THE YEAR AT THE TOP OF THE RUSSIAN HEAP??? I don't know how many points ED has to defend, but can she stay at the top? She needs some good results fast, or a few eager ladies will be passing her.

Cassius
Aug 11th, 2002, 01:04 AM
I don't think Elena has many points to defend. Not until Leipzig at anyway. She reached the SF there last year I think. Moscow she reached the final. Did she do well anywhere else?
Anna finally seems to be back on track, Elena L has played quite well at times this year, same with Panova, and Myskina has done very well in some events, but hopelessly in other events, even so she's moved steadily up the rankings.
These girls are the closest challengers to Elena D, but I think, realistically, only Myskina could pass her this year.
Next year is a whole different kettle of fish, because Anna will be back fully fit and maybe Elena L and Panova can continue their good form. However I think Myskina will struggle next year, like Elena D last year.

auntie janie
Aug 11th, 2002, 01:39 AM
I forgot about that Final appearance in Moscow. I don't anticipate ED reaching that Final again, as I believe last year she was helped by a field depleted of top players because of 9/11. And she is doing nothing impressive lately. However, she does have a good draw in Montreal, and she could also gain if she could do well at the US Open, of course.

I tend to think that ED will end 2002 as the top Russian, but I agree with you, Cassius, that it is never going to be easy for her to duplicate that feat again. Many of the rising younger Russians are hungrier, seemingly. And I also foresee Anna K back in the top 15 by the middle of next year, maybe being the one to knock ED off her comfortable #10-15 range perch, where she has stagnated for 2 years.

Look, I wish ED would prove me wrong. Let's see what happens in Montreal.

igost
Aug 11th, 2002, 02:06 AM
RUSSIANS ARE COMING!!! keep it up - there still are 89 spots left :)