PDA

View Full Version : The Reason The Crowd Hate Sharapova Today

Noctis
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Because People Hate Her Grunt
Start Booing and whistling

Sharapova's customary screeches reached maximum volume as the match slipped away, and the noise seemed to annoy fans on Court Suzanne Lenglen. They whistled and booed Sharapova as she left the court after the match, and she didn't acknowledge the crowd.

:rolleyes:

Becool
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
She clearly faced the crowd.

People say they can't hear, they can't, some can't, some can, but they all saw that she reacted with anger towards the Mexican Wave that's so traditional in Roland Garros.. so they picked on her..

améliemomo
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
because they think cows must return to the meadow

Smackie
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Actually, it all started after a few whistles and when she won the point, she screamed at the crowed fist bumping. Since that the crowd turned against her, with or without the grunts - in fact both girls were unbelievable quiet during a point in the third set..

If the grunting annoyed the crowd (which probably did) the crowd would have started booing from game 2.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
If the grunting annoyed the crowd what are they doing here? They can watch others girls ? What the hell are they doing on the Court?

young_gunner913
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM

:haha::worship:

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM

Ne me dis pas que t'es la pour donner ton avis, tu ne fais que descendre Maria:rolleyes:

LightWarrior
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
They like losers.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
They like losers.

but they dint like chakvetadze?

Spiritof42
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
The truth is, the RG crowd will boo just about any player (including the French) for just about any reason, including (but not limited to) questioning a call (even when the player is right), making noises, taking too much time between points, playing poorly, standing up to them, smashing a racket, hitting a ball out of frustration, not waving to them when leaving the court, etc. They just seem to get a collective kick out of jeering and whistling.

mckyle.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
really unnecessary of them considering she was one half of the greatest match on the women's side so far.

they could have been at least a little appreciative of her efforts.

ASP0315
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
i agree i think sharapova fist pumping and probably loud grunting annoyed the crowd.
Although "some" section of the crowd behaved like jerks but the rest of the crowd is nice.
Sharapova behaved like a spoiled baby right there. Whatever the crowd did might be bad but sharapova (as a three time grandslam title champion should know better) and have acted proffesionally rather cursing at the crowd.
If i was wta chief, i fine her ass for that behavior.

Matt01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
I think that the Frenchies haven't forgotten last year's match against Patty, either...

canuckfan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
She was the favorite and she led 76 52, so the crowd rooted for Safina. The crowd always love the underdog.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
i agree i think sharapova fist pumping and probably loud grunting annoyed the crowd.
Although "some" section of the crowd behaved like jerks but the rest of the crowd is nice.
Sharapova behaved like a spoiled baby right there. Whatever the crowd did might be bad but sharapova (as a three time grandslam title champion should know better) and have acted proffesionally rather cursing at the crowd.
If i was wta chief, i fine her ass for that behavior.

Her grunting annoayed the crowd, so one more time, what are they doing here, they pay to see Maria, and they know she is gonna scream on every shot, like she always does. She is not gonna change anything for this fucking assholes people.

FedererBulgaria
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
She was the favorite and she led 76 52, so the crowd rooted for Safina. The crowd always love the underdog.

;)Exactly!

manu32
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
safina breaks her racket and no reaction from the crowd,sorry...and i agree they like loosers...

désolé pour Maria,car entre les 2 mon coeur ne balance pas et le tennis féminin,en perdition a besoin de gagnantes,de charisme
ou il court à sa perte et ce tournoi ne relève pas le niveau..et le public est totalement obtus,le même qu'au foot,passion sacrée des français, même public maintenant...grave,grave...

homogenius
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
safina breaks her racket and no reaction from the crowd,sorry...and i agree they like loosers...

désolé pour Maria,car entre les 2 mon coeur ne balance pas et le tennis féminin,en perdition a besoin de gagnantes,de charisme
ou il court à sa perte et ce tournoi ne relève pas le niveau..et le public est totalement obtus,le même qu'au foot,passion sacrée des français, même public maintenant...grave,grave...

:rolls: :help:

manu32
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM

VishaalMaria
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
The reason why the crowd hate Maria is because they tried to faze her last year against Patty but Maria came up as the victor! So they wanted to "get her" and make her lose this time round. Not that they did, it was Marias poor level of play that did that.

Matt01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Her grunting annoayed the crowd, so one more time, what are they doing here, they pay to see Maria, and they know she is gonna scream on every shot, like she always does. She is not gonna change anything for this fucking assholes people.

They only paid to watch tennis on Suzanne Lenglen. Most of them probably didn't know in advance that they would have to watch Maria and would have to losten to her grunts...

SOA_MC
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Actually, it all started after a few whistles and when she won the point, she screamed at the crowed fist bumping. Since that the crowd turned against her, with or without the grunts - in fact both girls were unbelievable quiet during a point in the third set..
If the grunting annoyed the crowd (which probably did) the crowd would have started booing from game 2.

That's how I saw it

Uranium
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
they booed her last year too, it's because she has an attitude problem in her matches.
Against Patty, they attacked Maria and started booing because she was a witch and same for this year:shrug:

Matt01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM

No, they like winners, that's why they cheered for Safina and not for Pova :wavey:

Uranium
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
No, they like winners, that's why they cheered for Safina and not for Pova :wavey:

:lol:
good rep 4 u!;)

athake
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
it started at 6th game of final set, when Maria called the umpire so diva like...

rafa the best
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Why do they have to boo at her when she wants to see the ball mark. It is something every player can do on clay. But at RG if you do that, you are done, the crowd hates you and gives you hard time. It only happens there.

I loved the moment when Masha saved those break points and screamed at them, she doesn't show her emotions but today they made her do it.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
That wasn't my point :shrug:

I said that most of the people in the crowd probably paid for their tickets for that court months in advance, so they couldn't know that Pova would play on that court. And since they couldn't go to the Centre Court (because they didn't have the right tickes) and since they remembered Pova for her bad behaviour from last year, they decided to only cheer for Safina :p

Well, excuse me, I'm a litlle bit tended right now.
But honestly, last year, it wasn't her fault, they attack players whereas they don't do anything. It was the same thing with Serena, now Maria, they are stupid, and I know what I'm talking about. Trust me.:wavey:

ASP0315
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
They only paid to watch tennis on Suzanne Lenglen. Most of them probably didn't know in advance that they would have to watch Maria and would have to losten to her grunts...

so true. :lol:

Actually i think they paid to watch safina because she is very popular and she is safin's sister. ;)
The crowd is less in Sharapovas first round matches.(no one is interested to waste thier money for watching the grunting crap. They pay thier hard earned money to watch a "real" tennis match which in this case today is a real match)
:p

Serenita
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
You need to calm down...and re-read Matt's post. Ticket are bought ahead of time for a day and a court session. The crowd had nothing to do with this lose. They were cheering for the underdog, and it didn't help the matter that Maria engaged. That made it worse I am sure.

That's what i mean

watchdogfish
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Well it started early in the second set when the crowd thought some calls were going against Safina. Then when it was 2-3 in the 2nd set Safina hit a shot that was smack on the line to get a BP but Maria summoned the umpire over to check the mark even though the ball was clearly in. That drew some boos. Then soon afterwards Maria saved the BP and said 'up your f***ing asses' towards the crowd. It's not surprising that didn't go down too well!

Honestly the crowd have been far far worse, I'm surprised at the number of anti-French crowd threads that have sprung up! How many of you watched the 1999 RG final??

baleineau
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
they hate on maria because they don't take to her character. anyone who is that far up their own arse gets the shit at Roland Garros. it's been like that for years. players have to deal with it.

darrinbaker00
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Why did the crowd boo Maria Sharapova today? Because she's Maria Sharapova, that's why. Next topic, please. ;)

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Why did the crowd boo Maria Sharapova today? Because she's Maria Sharapova, that's why. Next topic, please. ;)

I tend to agree, but you can't quite expect a crowd to love you after you tell them "Allez up your fucking ass." :lol:

but, on balance, she's probably the only other player that rivals Serena for people who dislike just because she is who she is.

sammy01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
she screams, shes cold, she plays one dimensional hard court tennis on clay, she shows no signs of happiness or that shes enjoying it out there, why would they warm to her its why i haven't. the french crowd let their feelings known.

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
the crowd hate her for the same reason they hate Serena. The french or rude nasty people who expect people to kiss their ****** which Serena and Maria wont do.. The french crowd sucks, which is why the FO is my least fav slam...

cheo23
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Fed Cup in Israel

"I don't mind it," she said. "It brings out the best in me. I love the atmosphere, the crowd and their craziness. It is what we live for..."
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00014/Sharapova2_14969t.jpg

But now.....

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/b5/fullj.b6bb97bc1110c5d0987dd89f718309aa/b6bb97bc1110c5d0987dd89f718309aa-getty-tennis-fra-open-roland-garros.jpg

cogent53
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
The French crowds are very unfair at times, and probably the only slam that genuinely make a difference to results - in the women's anyway, not sure if the men are as affected. Who can forget Steffi beating Hingis and how they cheered Steffi and booed Martina. Henin was always a darling who they adored. They definitely have favourites and objects of hate.

Sharapova is the sponsors favourite, but not sure she is the most popular with crowds. The screech is the main thing, but her strutting around and the time she takes between points seems to irritate too. Funny that the (arguably) prettiest girl Maria has the ugliest game, whereas the (arguably) plainest girl, Justine has (had now, sob!) the most beautiful game.