PDA

View Full Version : Dinara Safina* WINNER INTERVIEW*

Noctis
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Q. Can you say now that it has been the best victory ever in your career, the way that the game has been played?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, best ‑‑ after Berlin tough to say best, because, well, what was happening in Berlin was really also unbelievable. But one of the best comebacks, I can say, yes.

Q. Did you believe in yourself the whole game, or were you doubting when you were 5 to 2 in the second set down?

DINARA SAFINA: I mean, first set was strange. I mean, I had ‑‑ I mean, I had set points even in the first set. I believed ‑‑ I knew that I had a chance to beat her, but the way maybe I just put it too much on myself that I can win, so I was way too passive playing instead of really being myself and do my job on the court.

I mean, she was 5‑2 up. She had match point. It was all in her hands. And then at 5‑3 my serve, I mean, she had match point. Then I hit a winner on her match point.

And then suddenly it changed and I just started like ‑‑ because there I could not slow down anymore, because she was really dominating. I feel like I had no chances.

Q. It was this winner that gave you the power forward?

DINARA SAFINA: Kind of. I didn't show any emotions, but inside I was like, Okay. Because I was really like starting to hit the ball much harder. Before I was just running and playing it back, and she was doing everything on the court.

Q. She can be very intimidating to play. She makes a lot of noise. She's very aggressive. How does that affect you, and you particularly proud of the way you handled this on the emotional side of things?

DINARA SAFINA: You know, in this game it's all about ourselves. If you start to focus and opponent, you're keep on going focusing on her. That was my mistake.

I was trying to focus on myself and what I have to do and not to let her to dictate me. So it was ‑‑ until I had to change the game. I mean, I guess in the third set is what happened. Maybe she went a little bit down, but then I started not to wait for her mistakes. I had the chance and I had to hit the ball, so ‑‑ it just ‑‑ you have to focus on yourself.

Q. Have you heard from Marat?

DINARA SAFINA: Yes.

Q. Telephone or text?

DINARA SAFINA: Text.

Q. What did he say?

DINARA SAFINA: Well done. Good play.

Q. You weren't very nice to your racquet at 6‑All in the tiebreak in the first set. How did you feel about that?

DINARA SAFINA: I say I'm not the girl to keep all the emotions I have inside. I guess I have to pay lots of fines, because that's the way I am. I prefer to let it go.

I cannot ‑‑ I mean, okay, the first set I was ‑‑ my coach told me it was way too much crying. So he prefers also me that I stay at least quiet for a certain moment. I feel that I have to explode then I explode.

But first set was too much crying from my side. Like every second ball I was already kind of like talking to myself, and that was the mistake.

But once I get the warning I know that I cannot do this anymore, so I have to stay quiet and play.

Q. If we say that sounds like your brother, are we correct?

DINARA SAFINA: Yeah. Same lot. (laughter.)

Q. You've been in this position before a couple years ago. Do you have the confidence now to really win this title, do you think?

DINARA SAFINA: I mean, it's not easy. Every player is playing really good. It's not that you play ‑‑ I mean, first seeded, first No. 1 in the world and then suddenly there is nobody else left in the draw. I mean, next girl is also top 10 player, Jelena, and she's playing really good at the moment.

I just played her. Last tournament I played Berlin and it was three sets. She's very tough opponent. It's a close match. Same. We'll have to go there, and maybe at least next time not let her dictate me, that I will at least dictate first set.

Q. Do you believe you can win?

DINARA SAFINA: Still, it's too many matches in front, and I still have doubles. I still have to take it slowly. I don't look so much in front.

Q. This year you tried to work are you started working with Heinz Günther, but now who is the new trainer and where are you working or the relation?

DINARA SAFINA: No, we stop with Heinz. My new coach is Zeljko Krajan.

Q. In those moments away from the court at home when you and Marat go out for coffee, or perhaps a vodka, have you ever talked with each other about how wonderful it would be if you each had a Grand Slam title?

DINARA SAFINA: I think it's going to be a dream of all our family, you know. Once we do this we can put really the racquet on the wall and say we did everything we could.

But to get to his level, I still have to work a little bit harder to get to the level he was.

Q. Did the public help you today? Because we heard a lot of the crowd.

DINARA SAFINA: Yeah, in this case, I should say thanks to my brother, because I know the people, French people really love him.

So I guess I get half of the support from his part. (laughter.)

I really thank them that they were there. Even though I was down 5‑2, but still I could hear people cheering for me. Of course it's always nice, because we play for them.

Q. Could you tell us about next match, what you expect from that?

DINARA SAFINA: I already answered these questions.

Q. Did you remember your match against Sharapova two years ago?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, not really. When I was 5‑2 down, but I was still okay. It was third set. Now it was different. It was second set, and she had still match point.

Not really, but I still believed. Maybe I believe more that I still can win the match. Still is missing something. I still have to do something more on the court, and maybe that's what I guess was still missing, made me to work harder and harder.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/console/mflash.html?targetLink=/media/video/INT.dinara.safina.02062008_EN_480x360_400kbps.flv&lang=en_FR&localisIE=true

:bounce::lol:

InsideOut.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Well done Dina :yeah:

Becool
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Goo Dina!!

bellascarlett
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Good for her. :yeah:

She's a sensible girl.

A lot of questions about Marat. :lol: She is right though in saying the French love Marat. Too bad he's just left watching matches on tv now instead of playing himself.

+/-
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
great answers.

hablo
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Q. In those moments away from the court at home when you and Marat go out for coffee, or perhaps a vodka, have you ever talked with each other about how wonderful it would be if you each had a Grand Slam title?

DINARA SAFINA: I think it's going to be a dream of all our family, you know. Once we do this we can put really the racquet on the wall and say we did everything we could.

But to get to his level, I still have to work a little bit harder to get to the level he was.

DINARA SAFINA: Yeah, in this case, I should say thanks to my brother, because I know the people, French people really love him.

I really thank them that they were there. Even though I was down 5‑2, but still I could hear people cheering for me. Of course it's always nice, because we play for them.
Davai and udachi, Oafette. :lol::awww:

justine schnyder
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
:hearts: :hug:

RenaSlam.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Q. Can you say now that it has been the best victory ever in your career, the way that the game has been played?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, best ‑‑ after Berlin tough to say best, because, well, what was happening in Berlin was really also unbelievable. But one of the best comebacks, I can say, yes.

Q. Did you believe in yourself the whole game, or were you doubting when you were 5 to 2 in the second set down?

DINARA SAFINA: I mean, first set was strange. I mean, I had ‑‑ I mean, I had set points even in the first set. I believed ‑‑ I knew that I had a chance to beat her, but the way maybe I just put it too much on myself that I can win, so I was way too passive playing instead of really being myself and do my job on the court.

I mean, she was 5‑2 up. She had match point. It was all in her hands. And then at 5‑3 my serve, I mean, she had match point. Then I hit a winner on her match point.

And then suddenly it changed and I just started like ‑‑ because there I could not slow down anymore, because she was really dominating. I feel like I had no chances.

Q. It was this winner that gave you the power forward?

DINARA SAFINA: Kind of. I didn't show any emotions, but inside I was like, Okay. Because I was really like starting to hit the ball much harder. Before I was just running and playing it back, and she was doing everything on the court.

Q. She can be very intimidating to play. She makes a lot of noise. She's very aggressive. How does that affect you, and you particularly proud of the way you handled this on the emotional side of things?

DINARA SAFINA: You know, in this game it's all about ourselves. If you start to focus and opponent, you're keep on going focusing on her. That was my mistake.

I was trying to focus on myself and what I have to do and not to let her to dictate me. So it was ‑‑ until I had to change the game. I mean, I guess in the third set is what happened. Maybe she went a little bit down, but then I started not to wait for her mistakes. I had the chance and I had to hit the ball, so ‑‑ it just ‑‑ you have to focus on yourself.

Q. Have you heard from Marat?

DINARA SAFINA: Yes.

Q. Telephone or text?

DINARA SAFINA: Text.

Q. What did he say?

DINARA SAFINA: Well done. Good play.

Q. You weren't very nice to your racquet at 6‑All in the tiebreak in the first set. How did you feel about that?

DINARA SAFINA: I say I'm not the girl to keep all the emotions I have inside. I guess I have to pay lots of fines, because that's the way I am. I prefer to let it go.

I cannot ‑‑ I mean, okay, the first set I was ‑‑ my coach told me it was way too much crying. So he prefers also me that I stay at least quiet for a certain moment. I feel that I have to explode then I explode.

But first set was too much crying from my side. Like every second ball I was already kind of like talking to myself, and that was the mistake.

But once I get the warning I know that I cannot do this anymore, so I have to stay quiet and play.

Q. If we say that sounds like your brother, are we correct?

DINARA SAFINA: Yeah. Same lot. (laughter.)

Q. You've been in this position before a couple years ago. Do you have the confidence now to really win this title, do you think?

DINARA SAFINA: I mean, it's not easy. Every player is playing really good. It's not that you play ‑‑ I mean, first seeded, first No. 1 in the world and then suddenly there is nobody else left in the draw. I mean, next girl is also top 10 player, Jelena, and she's playing really good at the moment.

I just played her. Last tournament I played Berlin and it was three sets. She's very tough opponent. It's a close match. Same. We'll have to go there, and maybe at least next time not let her dictate me, that I will at least dictate first set.

Q. Do you believe you can win?

DINARA SAFINA: Still, it's too many matches in front, and I still have doubles. I still have to take it slowly. I don't look so much in front.

Q. This year you tried to work are you started working with Heinz Günther, but now who is the new trainer and where are you working or the relation?

DINARA SAFINA: No, we stop with Heinz. My new coach is Zeljko Krajan.

Q. Could you tell us about next match, what you expect from that?

DINARA SAFINA: I already answered these questions.

Q. Did you remember your match against Sharapova two years ago?

DINARA SAFINA: Well, not really. When I was 5‑2 down, but I was still okay. It was third set. Now it was different. It was second set, and she had still match point.

Not really, but I still believed. Maybe I believe more that I still can win the match. Still is missing something. I still have to do something more on the court, and maybe that's what I guess was still missing, made me to work harder and harder.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/console/mflash.html?targetLink=/media/video/INT.dinara.safina.02062008_EN_480x360_400kbps.flv&lang=en_FR&localisIE=true

:bounce::lol:

Brillant. :worship:

young_gunner913
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Dina :hearts:

LUVMIRZA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Love u Safina :hearts: Hope u can be more aggressive as u were in Berlin :drool:. Dont be passive, that didnt work!!

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
:haha:
Deffo new fan!

Do all Russians go out for vodka ? :rolls:

I thought that question was a bit :tape:

jimbo mack
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Do all Russians go out for vodka ? :rolls:

I thought that question was a bit :tape:

lol me too

améliemomo