PDA

View Full Version : Ana and Jelena #1: Do you think they want to be without winning a GS?

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Well, now that Maria is out, Ana or Jelena can become #1 by reaching the final and winning the championship. However, they could also be #1 if they reach the final and lose to anyone besides Kuznetsova.

I heard from a commentator that Jelena doesn't want to be #1 if she doesn't have at least 1 Grand Slam. I have no idea about Ana. What do you guys think? Have Jelena and Ana said anything about this before?

For me, yes, it'd be nice to be #1, but without a Grand Slam, it would feel a little bit odd.

piksi
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
they wouldn't care and they shouldn't. You are #1 because You are the most consistant [layer over a perios of a year - not one tournament

Mic-190286
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
they wouldn't care and they shouldn't. You are #1 because You are the most consistant [layer over a perios of a year - not one tournament

That's true, but they will come under a lot of slack even so. Look at Kuznetsova when she was #2 last year because she made a gazillion finals yet had only won a T2. In reality, it's the slams they'll be remembered for (unless they do a Kournikova ;)) outside of the fans. I'm sure they'd rather win a slam and never be #1 rather than be the #1 player who didn't win one.

bodan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Two weeks ago in Belgrade (for Serbian media) Jelena explicitely said she would like to be #1 only if she deserved it by winning a slam.

I haven't heard anything like that coming from Ana's camp, but from all I know, I would expect exactly the same sentiment.

ivanban
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
well, winning slam should be requirement for #1 :shrug:

Ballbasher
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
It'll be most likely Ivanovic and she's gonna win FO in my eyes ;)

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
This is WTA #1, it really shouldn't matter THAT much.

Well for Ana it would be OK, but Jelena :tape:

Tennis90
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
I read somewhere that Ana said that she would like to win FO more when asked to choose between FO title and NO 1 rank.....
She also said that there is much time ahead of her for becoming NO 1 but GS title is very important for her!!!

-NAJ-
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
After Rome Jelena told that she must win GS and then become #1 not without GS
She don't need #1 without GS title

SOA_MC
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
I read somewhere that Ana said that she would like to win FO more when asked to choose between FO title and NO 1 rank.....
She also said that there is much time ahead of her for becoming NO 1 but GS title is very important for her!!!

I heard that too

Havok
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
I think both would rather be hoisting up the RG title at the end of this week rather than being ranked the new #1 when the new rankings come out the following week.

Either way, being ranked #1 is still an incredible accomplishment in itself, so they should both be happy either way.

Mikey B
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
it would be good if the winner of this slam would take the number one ranking... jj, ana or sveta would be decent number 1's if they win the title..

cocco80
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
No they wouldn't. Would you?

Dave.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Whoever finishes the tournament as no.1 deserves it :shrug: Ivanovic, Jankovic and Kuznetsova all have had good results in the last 52 weeks.

Rui.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Weren't Clijsters and Mauresmo number 1's before winning a slam?

miffedmax
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
^^^

Exactly. With the more heavier scheduling these days I think the idea of "Slam Winner" and "No.1" being so inextricably linked are numbered.

Both are career defining things--when you die your obit will read either "former World Number One" or "Grand Slam Winner." Both are amazing accomplishments.

I, of course, will be perfectly happy to let Ana or JJ be number one as long as Lena wins the FO. JJ or Ana can win their slam at Wimbledon or the US Open.

rafa the best
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
I think they don't deserve to be No1, without a Slam.

Anyway without Henin the No1 spot lost it's importnance, it looks like anyone can get there now.

Ryan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
^^^

Exactly. With the more heavier scheduling these days I think the idea of "Slam Winner" and "No.1" being so inextricably linked are numbered.

Both are career defining things--when you die your obit will read either "former World Number One" or "Grand Slam Winner." Both are amazing accomplishments.

I, of course, will be perfectly happy to let Ana or JJ be number one as long as Lena wins the FO. JJ or Ana can win their slam at Wimbledon or the US Open.

I agree with your entire post (except Lena winning RG haha). Anyone who reaches the #1 rank absolutely deserves it - if you get there without a slam you have something to prove by winning one, but no one can say you aren't the #1 player in the world. The #1 rank IMO means, and more so today with the scheduling, you are the best player on tour day in, and day out.

StZox
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
It would be great if they reach no1 at the same time winning their first slam.
In such a way they would be rewarded for both consistency and for being a slam champion:)