PDA

View Full Version : Maria/Serena: Who blew a bigger chance at the title?

tennnisfannn
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
This is not because if they lost to so and so they would most certainly lose to the next higher ranked layer. they are both championsand when they get going they really get going.
Both had a decent chance at the title and if only maria ahd converted mp or serena had shown up for her match, who knows. So who is kicking herself more?

joćo.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Serena was the favorite for the title while people were already expecting Safina to beat Maria.

Becool
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
serena..

losing to srebotnik.. and playing schnyder on the 4th round, with a chance of revenge.. reaching quarterfinals..

i believe serena lost a bigger shot

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Heart says Serena, but head says Maria.

She BLEW... I mean CHOKED a 5-2 lead during the 2nd set BP and then proceed to lose the match...

This might be the best chance for her to win the GS, but.... guess next year then...

Nikkiri
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Serena.

Miss Amor
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
serena blew it away..she played shit..she deserved it..she was the favourite for the title

doni1212
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Maria with that easy draw of hers, :lol:
Serena still had Schnyder who she never beat on clay, Ana who is looking impressive and who I hope takes the title, Jelena and then whoever in the final.

LDF
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Serena, this tournament was hers for the taking and she played awfully to lose.

But she didn't lose in as spectacular fashion as Maria :o

Olórin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Who cares, they're out. :o

They'll both be waiting for Wimbledon.

Nemo_Kool
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Serena had the most legitimate chance ever to win a second RG and just didnt show up...and welll the same could be said about Maria with the WS gone the only players left were ones which have yet to prove themselves mentally on the big stage. Personally, i think this tournament is a great chance for Kuznetsova to get some confidence in her game and really believe she can win...never has their been such an open grandslam and in a way it's great someone is going to benefit greatly confidence wise. Still, JJ FOR THE TITLE!

liuxuan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Serena had an amazing chance to win

I expected Safina to beat Sharapova - i would have also expected Dementieva, Kuznetsova and whoever Sharapova played in the final (iavnovic or Jankovic) to beat her aswell. Sharapova is only a top ten player at best on clay. It has been proved time and again.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Neither. They didn't even make it to the quarters. Mute conversation.

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
serena had the draw. and the momentum. however, she often flakes on the red clay. so it's not THAT surprising.

however, maria was up so many times and blew it. she had such a chance to hold all 4 slams. so i'd say maria blew it more.

Mikey B
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
maria, match point... nuff said...

AndreConrad
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
The chance was equal, but the stage and the level of the opponent made Serena’s exit more surprising.

sweetpeas
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who cares, they're out.

They'll both be waiting for Wimbledon.

So true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SNAP OUT OF IT! IT'S OVER...............Now its time for a new champ....Let"s wish all of them GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joćo.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
maria, match point... nuff said...

The question is who blew a bigger chance AT THE TITLE not who blew the chance of winning the match they got them eliminated. Serena was obviously the favorite since everyone was expecting her to win a second French Open title.

starin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Sharapova blew it big time in her match in terms of closing it out. Serena prolly blew the bigger chance at the title though. She's won it before, she won Charleston (a Tier I) and she looked really good playing wise coming into the FO. Most people had the FO favorites listed like 1.Serena and a close 2.Sharapova.

Jasmin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Serena at the beginning of the tournament but the way the matches went I think Maria turned out to have the better chance of the two.

Smackie
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Serena blew the chance for sure. I would have put money on her winning the title but Maria on clay is just.....every round was a struggle for her and Safina really should have taken the first set and beat Maria in two.

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
True, i would rather forget it and just move on to Wimbledon.

Maria because her draw as piss easy. But Serena losing to Kata in a SLAM :tape:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
both were never gonna win

Masha for one was never gonna beat Safina, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic back to back on clay

LUVMIRZA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Every body has their chances. Its not Maria or Serena alone who had the chance.

sharapovarulz1
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
No need to dwell but obviously Maria she blew it big time today! :(

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Serena....see the sig....:o enough said. :smash:

although :shrug: Maria did have MPs, but I think Serena had a better shot at the title :shrug:

bellascarlett
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Maria just simply blew her chances to get to the quarters. That is all. She still had a long way up. For her, it's more of...one match at a time on the clay at the French Open. Serena, on the other hand, was the favorite. Serena had bigger chances to take the title and wasn't largely expected to lose to someone like Srebotnik.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Serena, given her age and remaining opportunities on this surface DEFINITELY blew the bigger chance.

Time is running out on her chance at a DOUBLE career slam.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
serena...had a better shot at the title and lost to kata...

zlove
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Sharapova blew it big time in her match in terms of closing it out. Serena prolly blew the bigger chance at the title though. She's won it before, she won Charleston (a Tier I) and she looked really good playing wise coming into the FO. Most people had the FO favorites listed like 1.Serena and a close 2.Sharapova.

yup.
sharapova was so close to winning the match to get into QF, but who knows if she wouldve even made it to the final, clays just not her surface. but serena was deff the favorite going in here. with henin gone, it was easily serenas biggest opportunity to win another french open

faboozadoo15
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Serena had a much softer draw. I think her chances were better, personally.

In hindsight, no way was Maria beating Safina, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, and a Serb with how she played in the first three rounds.

She'll need to start the tournament a lot better next year. Then we'll see if she's ready to play back to back top players.

LindsayRulz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
IMO, Maria. She had the draw to reach the final and I don't think she'll have another chance like that at RG to have both Williams and Serbians on the other side of the draw.

Dawson.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
stupid question, maria of course - she had match points!
serena was never close to winning her match again srebotnik

Dexter
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Serena. She is the favourite for the title in every tournament she enters.
Maria is far from being a favourite in Paris.

mdterp01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Its tough. Overall I say Sharapova more because look how the draw has opened up. Serena already has the career grand slam but would really add to her legend by being someone who has won all 4 slams at least twice. But for Maria, Roland Garros is the one missing slam from her collection and this year was a perfect year to try and get that accomplished. Winning all 4 slams during your career puts you in such a special category. So I say overall Maria. But both definitely wasted HUGE opportunities.

Stamp Paid
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Neither had a real chance.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Serena was the favourite. This was her tournament to win. What did she go and do? Lose to Srebotnik :rolleyes:

Emina.
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
Both :fiery: I want to forget :(

carling
Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
Maria for sure. No Henin, no Williams, and a relatively kind draw. Maria really missed a big opportunity. Serena played like shit and lost in the 3rd round. However, Maria had it all on her racket. Had she gotten past Safina, there's no doubt in my mind she would have beaten Dementieva then who knows? I don't care what anybody says, Maria CAN win the French and I think she will. It won't be easy, but I defiinitely think Maria can win it. Her game translates to any surface.

That said, I predicted Safina would beat Maria. Great to see Safina playing so well. I like her.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
Serena was playing better (imo) coming into the FO, whereas Maria had a (seemingly) softer draw to the final... so... i don't know. But at the same time, I felt Maria would lose to Dinara, whereas Serena would lose to either Ivanovic/Schnyder/Jankovic but not Srebotnik.... so ???????????? i don't know.

Havok
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
Maria did.

Serena got her assed handed to her by journeywoman Srebotnik. Sharapova was up 7-6, 5-2, and served for it at 5-3 in the second, plus had I believe 5-2 in the tie-breaker. Maria blew her shot at a Roland Garros title and I don't know if she will ever have a better chance as this one to hoist up the cup. Serena was one of the many favorites to win the title, but lost badly in the 3r.

karimcartoon
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:24 AM
Definitely Sharapova. I mean, she served for the match!