PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova's mental strength

Aryman3
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I wonder what happened to so glorified mental strength of Maria. It seems rather a product of imagination
of her uncritical supporters

mr_parental
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
She is strong mentally, just not as strong as they all make out.

The stupid commentators were making her sound the best ever and acted like Dinara had no chance...how stupid...everyone knew she at least had a shot

Mikey B
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
well she lost it mentally, big time after the second set... dont think she would have lost it mentally had she not had match point, she needed to win it two and once it went to three sets she knew she'd lost it...

tennnisfannn
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
hve we all forgotten that it was dinara who blew her chances at the first set, she could so easliy have won it in two.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Have we forgotten that everyone is human? She isn't a robot. She is still consistentally mentally stronger than anyone on tour. Serena is the only other girl who can touch her mental strength. Those 2 girls set the bar.

Why is it that everyone over reacts about a player after 1 loss?

The Daviator
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
What I noticed in the match, is that she is excellent at regrouping, like in the 5-5 game in the 2nd set, and she stays very positive, but her mental strength is overrated.

I mean a DF at 5-3 in the breaker?

Mikey B
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM

oh god i forgot about how close she was to win it from the breaker... damn her serve!

roelc
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I have only one thing to say:

NAPKIN!

(and what happened to headcase-n1-safina???)

SharapovaFan16
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
What I noticed in the match, is that she is excellent at regrouping, like in the 5-5 game in the 2nd set, and she stays very positive, but her mental strength is overrated.

Sharapova's mental strength on a bad day is still better than Ivanovic's on a good day. :wavey:

Let the over reaction of 1 loss continue. Now I sympathize with the crap Serena fans go through.

The Dawntreader
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah she's no Serena Williams out there. I know Serena played crap this week, but she would've never served a DF on 5-3 in the breaker. So that's why i never group Sharapova in that mentally tough group. Can fall apart dramatically, especially on this surface.

She can definitely arrest the situation after losing a set, but on big points she can fold.

joćo.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I think clay + missed MP and on the 2nd set TB plus getting to #1 for free is affecting her too.

goldenslam888
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
and what does it say for womens tennis overall?

The Daviator
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Sharapova's mental strength on a bad day is still better than Ivanovic's on a good day. :wavey:

Let the over reaction of 1 loss continue. Now I sympathize with the crap Serena fans go through.

The same thing happened against Safina two years ago :lol: She's strong mentally, but the way people talk about her no way would you think she'd blow a lead like today.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
She is very mentally strong -- she would lose a lot more matches if she wasn't. I think she may get a little lazy when she's up (about to win) though. And besides, this is clay.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Masha is mentally tough, no doubt.

BUT has she ever staged a big comeback against TOP-PLAYER (barring YEC-04 final against injured Serena). I can't remember a single one :shrug:

InsideOut.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM

Don't try to drag Ana into this. She had nothing to do with Sharapova's choke today.

Yeah she's no Serena Williams out there. I know Serena played crap this week, but she would've never served a DF on 5-3 in the breaker.

I remember in the first set tiebreak against Vaidisova in AO SF 07 she served two doubles in a row to concede two mini-breaks.

bellascarlett
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I wonder what happened to so glorified mental strength of Maria. It seems rather a product of imagination

It's like asking what happened to Justine & Serena's mental strength after losing to Dinara or after their losses this year. Sharapova is mentally strong but that doesn't automatically mean she wins every match or every tight situation for that matter. In addition, this match was played on clay. She's not the most confident on the surface.

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I agree with Daviator.

Yes, she is mentally strong - but very overrated in that area.

powerbackhand
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
serena and pova are the mst mentally tough in the game

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Serena's mental strength DID NOT let her down against Safina in Berlin.

After all it did end in a final-set tiebreak :angel: Strongest showing from a top player v Ms.Safina :angel:

Safina came up with the big points and was able to push the error out in the key points.

Serena and Justine didn't have MPs.

starin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM

BUT has she ever staged a big comeback against TOP-PLAYER (barring YEC-04 final against injured Serena). I can't remember a single one :shrug:

wow that is actually true. and lol that Dinara Safina?!?! is considered a top player now. :lol::tape::help: yeah for transition periods in tennis. Certain types of players always shine during these times. But i bet good money that Sharapova does it eventually. I see her prolly doing it against Jankovic or Ivanovic but not at the FO.

But this is clay people. Sharapova is tough, she is very tough. It's just on clay her weaknesses are really exposed, mainly her movement. On clay not everything is in her control like it is 95% of the time on other surfaces. i woulnd't use this as an example of her being mentally weak.

InsideOut.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Oh well just lay it to rest. As the RG website says:

For Sharapova meanwhile, the self-styled “cow on ice” can at least go out to pasture and graze on the lawns of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet club.

:haha:

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
After Dinara had the let cord at 52 in the tb, Maria was not mentally tough.
But she is still pretty good mentally.
I guess you have to judge a whole career, because no one always closes out matches.

Matt01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
serena and pova are the mst mentally tough in the game

Yep. Safina proved today that she is catching up though ;)

zlove
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM

i love maria, but i have to agree, her mental strength is overrated. it is there no doubt, but i never believed it to be as much as everyone else makes it out to be. shes human

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
She's tough..but if you stay with her long enough, she's likely to fold and that's her biggest problem against Serena specially. Ever since that '05 oz open SF Serena exposed Maria. Maria was riding on a high: beat Serena for Wimbledon, but her again for the YEC. People were calling her the IT-girl of tennis. Yet there was Serena: Faced defeat in the eyes and just asked Maria: are you tough enough to beat me???

Maria blinked and really hasn't been the same ever since.

rafa the best
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
The net cord decided this match. Masha just couldn't win against Dinara and the crowd. She gave her all , saved those break point, but in the end the crowd broke her.
I wish she would never playy in front of those people.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Questioning Maria's mental strength is still stupid. She can't be mentally tough every single time, SHE'S HUMAN! Even Tiger Woods cracks from time to time. Yes it is very very very rare, but every athlete that is known as mentally tough is due for a let down every now and then.

As for a big comeback against a top player, that is a skewed look. She is usually winning matches which doesn't require a comeback. And when a top player usually wins the first set whether it be Ana, Maria, Serena, Venus... they usually don't lose the match. Those are just percentages. So if Maria loses the first set vs Serena in their next match I expect her to lose. That's what makes the top players so good, they usually step on the gas when they get a lead. Today for Maria it just wasn't to be.

VishaalMaria
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Why consider Marias mental strength after one loss? Fair enough if it was choke after choke after choke and she was losing matches consecutively but she isn't.

thrust
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
She is strong mentally, just not as strong as they all make out.

The stupid commentators were making her sound the best ever and acted like Dinara had no chance...how stupid...everyone knew she at least had a shot

Well stated! She is turning into a choker against mentally tough hard hitting players. She is believing the MJF and media hype. Time to get back to reality.

ys
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Her mental strength is in the same place where Serena's unquestionable mental strength went in the same place. Be human. Players are live people too. Try to understand.

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Questioning Maria's mental strength is still stupid. She can't be mentally tough every single time, SHE'S HUMAN! Even Tiger Woods cracks from time to time. Yes it is very very very rare, but every athlete that is known as mentally tough is due for a let down every now and then.

As for a big comeback against a top player, that is a skewed look. She is usually winning matches which doesn't require a comeback. And when a top player usually wins the first set whether it be Ana, Maria, Serena, Venus... they usually don't lose the match. Those are just percentages. So if Maria loses the first set vs Serena in their next match I expect her to lose. That's what makes the top players so good, they usually step on the gas when they get a lead. Today for Maria it just wasn't to be.

'05 oz open SF..

Dave.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM

So if The Daviator didn't have Ana in his sig, you wouldn't have made that comment about Ana? Stop being childish.

On topic, Maria is very mentally tough but she is also prone to beatdowns which you wouldn't see from Venus and Serena (who are both mentally stronger than her). So she is probably the 3rd strongest mentally.

rafa the best
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think the 2006 match with Safina was in Masha's head today. She is great in forgeting the bad point and playing great right after it but I'm a bit scared for her when it comes to Serena and now Dinara.

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Maria was serving at 53 and didn't get her 1st serve in at 30-0, or matchpoint.
That was a huge moment of the match.
Sometimes you just don't bring the goods.
This is still her worst surface and she is not using shots that are all that effective on clay.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Maria was serving at 53 and didn't get her 1st serve in at 30-0, or matchpoint.
That was a huge moment of the match.
Sometimes you just don't bring the goods.
This is still her worst surface and she is not using shots that are all that effective on clay.

you wouldn't think that with the way you touted her to win and how she was undefeated on clay and had the 2 match win streak on clay...

-when she came out after the rain delay she went for broke and it was all working, while safina came out slow...

-safina had sps and lost one on a lucky netcord that changed the point...that was also a huge point in the match...she was agressive once she was up...she hit some shots that made you go :eek: but when Berlin Safina showed up masha wilted :shrug:

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
I thought she had a good chance and I would have bet her heavy at 52 in the 2nd set tb.
But clay is like that. She didn't win this match.
Serving with a mp and serving 52 in the tb, she should have won.
She's getting there on clay. I thought she was ready this year. But not quite.

faboozadoo15
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
She's human. This won't break her. I think next year she'll make another big step.

The Daviator
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
She's definitely not a cow on ice, from 0-1 to 5-2 in the 2nd set she was playing lights out tennis.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
She's definitely not a cow on ice, from 0-1 to 5-2 in the 2nd set she was playing lights out tennis.

so hardcourt tennis CAN work on clay lol

GrafMariaPetraK
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM

Wimbledon 2004 Davenport

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Part of the mental toughness is that she's an excellent player. She's won 3 majors before she turned 21, but she also got to 10 slam semis before she turned 21.
The best players are going to be in position to win majors over and over again.
Some they'll win and some they won't.
It's hard to separate how much is their tennis talent and how much is mental strength.

pov
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM

The "I wonder" part is a valid question. It's just fact that her mental fortitude is usually one of her assets on the court.

Dave.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Wimbledon 2004 Davenport

Yeah, though Lindsay was mentally all over the place back then and talking about retirement during the tournament. It was a good win for 17 y/o Sharapova but she wasen't ever going to get any resistance when it went to 3 sets.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Wimbledon 2004 Davenport

being one break down early in the second set when the match was interrupted by rain doesn't do it a comeback, let alone a big one.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
indeed^

Cakeisgood
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM

Davenport Wimby 04. Epic.

Il Primo!
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
I don't know any player who is mentally tougher than her since her breakthrough. Period. I you do, let me know it :)

Dan23
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Have we forgotten that everyone is human? She isn't a robot. She is still consistentally mentally stronger than anyone on tour. Serena is the only other girl who can touch her mental strength. Those 2 girls set the bar.

Why is it that everyone over reacts about a player after 1 loss?
Enough said in post #5.

OsloErik
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
I've said it before: her level doesn't drastically change in the match. She doesn't get particularly tight in high-risk moments, but she doesn't particularly raise her level of play either. She plays a very smart power game, but it doesn't really very from the way she starts. She's successful because she's a very good player, but what makes her great is the ability to sustain her play at a very high level for more matches than most other people. What can make her dominant is her ability to sustain her play at that high level coupled with health and her moving forward. We've seen her play good, great, and come close to dominance, but we haven't seen dominance yet.

I think I got off track. Anyways, she's mentally tough mostly because very little phases her, but very little lifts her, either. Chris and Bjorn were like that as well.

doni1212
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
She's tough..but if you stay with her long enough, she's likely to fold and that's her biggest problem against Serena specially. Ever since that '05 oz open SF Serena exposed Maria. Maria was riding on a high: beat Serena for Wimbledon, but her again for the YEC. People were calling her the IT-girl of tennis. Yet there was Serena: Faced defeat in the eyes and just asked Maria: are you tough enough to beat me???

Maria blinked and really hasn't been the same ever since.

So true, :worship:

perseus2006
Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:31 AM
For Pova, next tournament!

It is more interesting to discuss how Elena/Dinara and Patty challenge Kuzy, Ana and JJ than to discuss Pova's mental fortitude. There is a lot at stake for each named player, each one is playing very well, healthy (except JJ of course), and motivated. Some examples:

Patty doesn't want to retire until she has a GS Title. This is it! She'll probably never have a better chance. Her next task: take out Ana!

Elena has been in an RG Final before and lost it to Myskina. She's got the game, can she summon the mental fortitude to get it done? It's not "now or never" for her but it's "now or probably never".

Ana, JJ and Kuzy all want the #1 Rank. It's there for the taking. Can one of them stand to it?

spiritedenergy
Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:38 AM

I agree. Chokapova.

AcesHigh
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
I'll try to stay out of this, but let's not judge her mental strength on one match.

Stamp Paid
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
of her uncritical supportersYet her mental strength still shits on 95% of the women on the WTA Tour....