PDA

View Full Version : Grunts That Are More Annoying Than Sharapova's

mckyle.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Azarenka
Schiavone
Dementieva

But none of them get anywhere near the same amount of hate, or success.

Makes you wonder if there's a connection there.

Wojtek
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Dementieva

Dave.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Firstly, Sharapova's is a scream. It sounds horrible. If she was no.1 or no.100 it's still annoying.

I like Dementieva's grunt.

But I agree Schiavone and Azarenka's noises are annoying.

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Sara Errani :o

Vika's is :weirdo::help::tape:

mckyle.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Firstly, Sharapova's is a scream. It sounds horrible. If she was no.1 or no.100 it's still annoying.

I like Dementieva's grunt.

But I agree Schiavone and Azarenka's noises are annoying.

It's 530 AM here where I live, and the rest of my family is asleep. When I watch Sharapova, I don't mind having the speakers turned up. While watching Dementieva, I am so embarrassed to have the speakers turned on. My family is probably wondering what the hell I'm watching :o

Hashim.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ana:o

Dexter
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Azarenka's is beautiful comparing to Maria's. There's nothing worse than hers.

Boreas
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Garbin:lol:

Dave.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Sara Errani :o

Yeh hers is probably the most annoying :o

and Safina come to think of it

It's 530 AM here where I live, and the rest of my family is asleep. When I watch Sharapova, I don't mind having the speakers turned up. While watching Dementieva, I am so embarrassed to have the speakers turned on. My family is probably wondering what the hell I'm watching :o

:lol:

lympyisthebest
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Vika :help: She's far more annoying than Sharapova.

$uricate
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Schiavone's is kind of irritating.
I love Dementieva's!
Venus is annoying at times, when she starts shrieking.

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Finally a thread addressing this major annoyance in modern women's tennis.

Speak your mind openly. I wonder how many of you consider
screaming, grunting, loud cursing, etc, distracting and degrading to women's tennis.

Personally, I believe that the pioneers of tennis would be horrified if they attended some of the matches played today.

mckyle.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM

screaming, grunting, loud cursing, etc, distracting and degrading to women's tennis.

Personally, I believe that the pioneers of tennis would be horrified if they attended some of the matches played today.

They didn't have to grunt back then. Grunting is used as a way to get the tension and pressure out of your body as you strike the ball. Players hit so much harder now and I don't understand how some players DON'T grunt. The "pioneers of tennis" played with wooden rackets and basically tapped the ball compared to today's field.

It helps me; if I'm ever feeling tight in a match, all I do is start grunting and I can start feeling my shots again.

But, there definitely are people that use it to gain a psychological advantage, and those are the people that ruin grunting for people that actually need it.

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM

Your new to this forum aren't you. :)

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sharapova's is the worst.

justine schnyder
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Sharapova and Ivanovic's are the worst.
I don't like Azarenka's, Schiavone's and Venus's too

Nikkiri
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
The only grunt that kinda annoys me is Dementieva's :shrug:

Boreas
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
WOW Papercut didnt mention Tatiana Golovin, who is so beautiful/sexy/great.

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
WOW Papercut didnt mention Tatiana Golovin, who is so beautiful/sexy/great.
Yes, but her grunt is not annoying. It is very sexy though, you're right:hearts:

Adal
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
:hug:

Dexter
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
How could I forgot Venus... I absolutely hate her grunts. She sounds like... well, let's not go there. :tape:

miura
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
I don't think Maria's is the worst at all, maybe because I'm used to it, but Serena's is horrible. I once sat at court level when she was playing and I was petrified.

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
:hug:
Why are we hugging me?:hug:
I forgot, Monica Seles- that one was the worst:tape::help::shout:

Fidello
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Dementieva. Dorkiest sound ever

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
I like Ana grunt though :)

Привет
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
:lol: For once I wish posters on this forum would look past the oversized banner they have of their favourite girl in their signature, and actually formulate an opinion not based on pure hate for another player.

Anyway, back on topic. I actually love grunts, not sure why, but I just enjoy hearing players make sound when they hit the ball. It can make a match a little extra exciting for me because it can show just how much focus the players are putting into each shot. So I don't really find many player's grunts annoying, though I can understand why people would find Sharapova's, Azarenka's and others grunts annoying.

Schiavone is probably the only player whose grunt I can say I find annoying.

dybbuk
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Dementieva, easily. Maria's is louder, but just the sound of Elena's annoys me to no end. UH-UHHHHHHHH UH-UHHHHHHHHHHH UH-UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kworb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Viktoria Azarenka
Michelle Larcher De Brito

The Kaz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Ana :tape:

Uhhhhh-hahhhhh

Oh God :help:

Dani12
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I think Ana's is cute at least it isn't piercing like Sharapova's or like a shotty aeroplane engine that is Venus'.

Droolv
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Azarenka :lol:

ivanban
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Schiavone has HILARIOUS grunt :lol: though she has multiple grunts: one for normal forehand and backhand, one for slice, one for volleys and a very speciall for unexpected volleys :haha:

Shaza and Vee though :o

cocco80
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Hahha..
People saying Ana's grunt of all the others is the worst is just..well, there are no words.
The only grunting which I find annoying is Dementieva's. Maria doesn't bother me at all. she is loud but the sound of her grunt is ok.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I love how Dementieva's irritates so many people. I love it. It changes often in tone, depending on the situation, and it makes me laugh. When it's the really loud UHHH-UH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, :hearts:

I don't mind anyone's grunting or screaming aside from Torres-Sandoval's. :o :o :o Worst sound EVERRRRRRRRRRR. I swear to God. What the fuck is wrong with her. :o

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Sharapova's annoying, but Venus... :scared:

It's like a banshee trying to scare the life out of you.. sorry Venus fans, but it's true :tape:

darkangel23
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Sharapova's grunt is just not normal, it's NOT possible that it's realistic. I mean Dementieva's grunt is annoying but it is not extraordinary and sounds so unreal. But Masha just screams, to me it seems more to be kind of exagerated by intention. Both of them are annoying. Seles's grunt was very loud too but it wasn't that produced and wasn't by far as loud and screamy like Masha's. Larcher de Brito's grunt is very high so it's very nervy. Azarenka's grunt seems to me like she wants to copy Sharapova's and the Williamses are pretty distracting as well.

HenryMag.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I love Lena's grunt...:hearts: it's unique.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
masha and venus...serena's is actually what it is..a grunt...masha and venus shriek

kinglear
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM

LOL!! It is funny because her grunts sound otherwordly. :lol: The reason I love Dementieva's grunt so much is that it sounds ruthless, yet clean and crisp. Her grunt is as clean, hard and crisp as her groundstrokes. There's a staccato rhythm to Dementieva's grunt and it's usually so uniform and cold. Basically, her grunt is part of what makes her game Red Square Tennis. :hearts:

V-MAC
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ana's three syllable grunt is most annoying

sharapovarulz1
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Sharapova's and Azarenka's grunts are just cute :D

Dawson.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
quite a lot of players have annoying grunts.

Schaivone, azarenka, garbin, both williams sisters, golovin, safina, dementieva and sometimes kuznetsova

im used to sharapova's grunting now, and i find it strange when she doesnt do it :lol:

Andy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
I like the shrieky type grunts of Masha and Venus (they sound like warriors and battle) but dont like the whiny whingy sounding ones.

Kworb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Dementieva's grunt is amazing, it's no wonder that it was used in a song, it's like music. Seles's grunt is a classic, my all time favorite. HA-EE!! :worship:

schorsch
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
WS definately, but especially Serena. Vika playing doubles and grunting on practically every shot, yes droppers and conventional volleys as well.

Mikey B
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
venus's yelp often irritates me!! but not enough to complain about it... i like grunting in tennis, shows that there's some effort on court!

G&R
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
golovin's grunts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6b330sq7DU

Dan23
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Gee it had been a while since a grunting thread :lol:

watchdogfish
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yes she's one of my favourite players but I'm going to have to say Safina. She doesn't grunt, she wheezes and it's just irritating! :lol:

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
:o Well...that was not a grunt.

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
It is time for some sort of summary based on preliminary findings.

It transpires from your postings in this thread that many members of the TennisForum possess a highly specialized acustic preference for grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by your fave, and a varying degree of intolerance, often bordering on allergy, to grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by any of the competitors.

This discovery prompts me to formulate a novel, radical, and to some perhaps even provocative thesis, that attachment to a particular player may depend not so much on the style of her game, not so much on her achievements, not even on her looks -- as many still naively think -- but on your tolerance, or even love, of a particular pitch of grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by that particular player.

What an unexpected discovery...

NeeemZ
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
I cannot take Sharapova's loud shrieking. But then again, I don't really like Sharapova. My only problem with her shrieking is that it is very obvious that it is not natural.

When I first heard Azarenka's grunt, I thought someone was trying to beat a bird to death as it was at the AO, while Vika was practising. It didn't occur later until Azarenka was actually playing a actual match that I was able to recognise the earlier noises to be that of Azarenka.

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
It is time for some sort of summary based on preliminary findings.

It transpires from your postings in this thread that many members of the TennisForum possess a highly specialized acustic preference for grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by your fave, and a varying degree of intolerance, often bordering on allergy, to grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by any of the competitors.

This discovery prompts me to formulate a novel, radical, and to some perhaps even provocative thesis, that attachment to a particular player may depend not so much on the style of her game, not so much on her achievements, not even on her looks -- as many still naively think -- but on your tolerance, or even love, of a particular pitch of grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by that particular player.

What an unexpected discovery...

:scratch: I love Vika to death but I can't stand her grunting. There goes your discovery down the drain. :wavey:

Nikkiri
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
:o Well...that was not a grunt.

I was at one of her matchs in Sydney this year and these little brats kept making fun of her noises. :(

NeeemZ
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM

What the hell was that noise that Tati made on the last two shots she hit? I would've been pissed off as well if I was Smashnova, although I still probably would have shook my opponent's hand. Or maybe a quick high 5 slap like Patty did to Ana on the clip.

hablo
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Schiavone : it's like she grunts after she hits the ball.

But Sharpie still tops them all. Even today she didn't grunt on some points so it's clear that it's not necessary for her to do so.

Safina and Kuznetsova's grunts can get ridiculous as well. (Tati too, how could I forget. I haven't heard Azarenka's ... so I can't judge.)

I used to hate Seles' grunt - when I think of it. She was the worst or best at it. :haha:

*Jean*
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Lee Waters' grunt is horrible even if I love her :lol:

mckyle.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Schiavone : it's like she grunts after she hits the ball.

When I said, "But, there definitely are people that use it to gain a psychological advantage, and those are the people that ruin grunting for people that actually need it," I'm referring to Schiavone. She only does it to distract the opponent as they are about to make contact with the ball.

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I was at one of her matchs in Sydney this year and these little brats kept making fun of her noises. :(
You saw Tati:hearts::speakles: How dare they! Ungrateful bit**es, they should worship her awesomeness! Making fun of my Tati:fiery::fiery:

rockstar
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
venus, dementieva :o

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
:scratch: I love Vika to death but I can't stand her grunting. There goes your discovery down the drain. :wavey:

Of course it doesn't. Re-read my post.

And recall the old saying: Exception proves the rule.

Every theory, especially so novel, doesn't describe absolutely all situations. Did I say that every member of the TennisForum bases his allegiance to a particular player on his ability to tolerate the pitch of grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by that particular player? Some do. And this alone seems to be quite a revolutionary discovery.

By the way, you are saying that you love Vika to death, yet you can't stand her grunting. That must be a very stressful situation potentially leading to some psychiatric disorders in the future.

I can only offer you my sympathy.

mckyle.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Tatiana :spit:

My whole family got a kick out of that.

Craigy
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Garbin. :unsure:

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Of course it doesn't. Re-read my post.

And recall the old saying: Exception proves the rule.

Every theory, especially so novel, doesn't describe absolutely all situations. Did I say that every member of the TennisForum bases his allegiance to a particular player on his ability to tolerate the pitch of grunting/screaming/shrieking emitted by that particular player? Some do. And this alone seems to be quite a revolutionary discovery.

By the way, you are saying that you love Vika to death, yet you can't stand her grunting. That must be a very stressful situation potentially leading to some psychiatric disorders in the future.

I can only offer you my sympathy.

:spit: I didn't know that I couldn't like certain things and hate others, about a person. :shrug: I guess I must have a psychiatric disorder. :weirdo:

kwilliams
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Schiavone's is STRAAAAANGE!

Paul.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
When I said, "But, there definitely are people that use it to gain a psychological advantage, and those are the people that ruin grunting for people that actually need it," I'm referring to Schiavone. She only does it to distract the opponent as they are about to make contact with the ball.

Oh my God :lol:

I really think you're looking into this a little too deeply. There is no way Schiavone uses her grunt tactically. You can tell she just exhales (releases the pressure or whatever) after she hits the ball as opposed to during. I'm guessing that's just the way she has always played, and the way her grunt has developed :shrug:

Similarly, I'm guessing Maria has always grunted like she is murdering someone with a large blade :)

For me, Maria's is the most unbearable.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Gs6WTJExYg

That video shows how ridiculous the grunting has become. They're both making such hideous noises that the actual tennis is no longer taking centre stage. Argue in favour of grunting all you want, but there is no denying that THIS is too far.

I understand what you mean about the ball being hit harder etc. though. I don't mind grunting a lot of the time, and sometimes I even think it's a good thing. It's just the sheer volume ('louder than a small aircraft taking off', I think was the comparison used) and the murderous shrieking sound that make it the worst grunt, in my opinion. Azarenka, Safina and particularly Venus are similarly bad, but Sharapova takes the biscuit.

The Kaz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Lee Waters' grunt is horrible even if I love her :lol:

I will never forget the 2R AO match a few years ago between her and Sharapova, it was a good close 3 setter but the grunting :tape:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! EYEEEEEEEEE!!!

:help:

Optima
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ana's is annoying as hell, I always have thought so. Azarenka's cracks me up. Kuznetsova sounds like she's battling for her life out there, and I love Dementieva's grunts. Safarova sounds like a little puppy with her little uuh-WOOF :angel:

orka_irl
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Vaidisova's double-barrelled UHHH-EYEEEEEEE is really annoying too - I have to turn the sound down.

ce
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Maria screaming on clay :hearts:

mure
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Ana's is annoying as hell, I always have thought so.

shocking!

A Magicman
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Venus Williams by far.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
no one is more annoying than pova...but her game makes up for the annoying grunts

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Watching this match live, you can see how fake Mashara's grunts are, yes she's the worst.

Beat
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM

it's not like the men don't do it. they just do it at a lower scale.

Swellin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Who ever said they don't mind turning the volume up during Sharapovas match but wont with another play are you kidding me? Are you watching the Sharapova/Safina match holy shit my ears are hurting me i usally dont mind watching Sharapova actually i enjoy but damn today is a different story this match is extremely uncomfortable to watch i cannot believe how loud she is, and this is just on my tv i feel bad for her opponent and the crowd, how horrible for them. And to who ever said they need to grunt because they hit harder balls now a days are you out of your mind. The worlds number 1 Rodger Federer is the only example i need to give. He plays gracefully and silently he never makes a sound because you do not need to!

DA FOREHAND
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
WS definately, but especially Serena. Vika playing doubles and grunting on practically every shot, yes droppers and conventional volleys as well.

Biased much?

Venus, Sharapova, Ana, Demented

SM
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I love Jelena Dokics grunt, its cute :)

SM
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
the Shoo

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
I always wondered what would happen if while grunting sharapova went mute all of a sudden

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Serena's grunt in RG was more annoying than Pova's!

It was worrying actually, louder and more desperate.

It was mostly emotion and not REALLY about power, that made it annoying.

Cilla
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Pova's is annoying, but kinda used to it now. Same with Venus.

But Azarenka :o :help:

Swellin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Are guys watching the same match as me? the one where sharapova is about to leave Paris my ear drums are about to explode im actually happy she is leaving and she is gone!!! thank you GOD!!

Renalicious
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oh my GOD I effin hate Francesca's! GOD it sounds like she's takin a crap. :help:

toxina90
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Azarenka's is beautiful comparing to Maria's. There's nothing worse than hers.

Monica Seles

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Niculescu

Safina -- but not all the time... sometimes she's the most noisy woman i've ever encountered because she'll yell in between points throw hissy fits

Errani

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Pova's is annoying, but kinda used to it now. Same with Venus.

But Azarenka :o :help:

I think most people will think someone's grunt is annoying until they get used to it, unless they just hate that player so much, they want to pick at every little thing and let thigns like that irritate them. or they were born before the 20th century so they are not used to loud sounds.

rockstar
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Who ever said they don't mind turning the volume up during Sharapovas match but wont with another play are you kidding me? Are you watching the Sharapova/Safina match holy shit my ears are hurting me i usally dont mind watching Sharapova actually i enjoy but damn today is a different story this match is extremely uncomfortable to watch i cannot believe how loud she is, and this is just on my tv i feel bad for her opponent and the crowd, how horrible for them. And to who ever said they need to grunt because they hit harder balls now a days are you out of your mind. The worlds number 1 Rodger Federer is the only example i need to give. He plays gracefully and silently he never makes a sound because you do not need to!

i remember watching the match 2 years ago and it wasn't that different

"shriek... shriek... shriek... CMON!" :tape:

Bennguin1491
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
melissa torres sandoval. hands down.

Wintermute
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM

I've only seen her once but I think Michelle Larcher de Brito's grunt might just be worse than Maria's.

Coffee&TV
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'm okay now on the Williams Sisters grunt.. but Azarenka :tape:

AndreConrad
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Do they grunt during sex? I bet Maria yells "c'mon!!!" when she's cumming.

Haute
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nadal. More than anyone else on the WTA, he actually sounds like he's having sex when he grunts. And it's not hot. :tape:

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Nah, "that's the way baby"

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM

:spit::haha::yeah:

It would be really weird if she didn't make a sound tho :scared:

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nadal. More than anyone else on the WTA, he actually sounds like he's having sex when he grunts. And it's not hot. :tape:

Oh I know... David Ferrer as well :o:o:o I hate it.

AndreConrad
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
:lol: You are probably right :lol: It is more like her the alpha dog

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM

and does yuri cheer her on?

Ryan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
There are a ton of grunts worse than Maria's.

Fran
Azarenka
Pratt :p
Safina
Monfils!!
Dokic
Dementieva
Venus

Mikey.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
and does yuri cheer her on?

:spit:

He's standing by the bed yelling "vamos". And when she's done he puts his hoody on and does his throat slitting gesture to signify that the black widow has killed another mate. :lol:

Smackie
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Grunts are OK as long as it doesn't annoy your opponent, the spectators and the audience at home. Maria's scream get all three strikes so no one else is as annoying.

Elena Baltacha's grunt is distracting though, it's like she is saying sometime. I still love her though and hope she does well this year @ Wimbledon.

Peterk07
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Are guys watching the same match as me? the one where sharapova is about to leave Paris my ear drums are about to explode im actually happy she is leaving and she is gone!!! thank you GOD!!
I feel exactly like you. ;) Pova's shrieks are far the most annoying i have ever heard. But watch out Azarenka! I think she'll be the next girl I hate to watch. She is disgusting too.

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I feel exactly like you. ;) Pova's shrieks are far the most annoying i have ever heard. But watch out Azarenka! I think she'll be the next girl I hate to watch. She is disgusting too.

I am watching her playing against Кузнецова right now, and despite my best wishes, I cannot close my ears to her loud screaming at every contact with the ball. This is so vulgar and unsportsmanlike in my opinion.

Never before being a supporter of Света, I have no choice but to wish that Кузнецова wins.

RenaSlam.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Azarenka's is horrible. My god.

FrOzon
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Azarenka's is horrible. My god.

It's really horrible!!:o

Swellin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
The thing that really bugs me is that there is absolutely no need for this screaming, watch Federer he doesn't make a sound. You do not need to yell to play better.

LegendsofTennis
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Karate and the art of tennis grunts
by Stefanie Loh | Sports Reporter
4/11/07 IN Sports

In karate, the kiai is a short, quick yell that karate-ka let out before or during a move to sharpen their technique and startle an opponent.

Martial arts masters could go on forever about the purposes of the kiai, but the general agreement is that it helps to channel the body's internal and external power into a single directed burst.

If you've ever watched tennis at any level, you've probably realized that the tennis equivalent of the kiai is the grunt. Tennis players grunt. A lot. There are lots of different grunts in tennis, and women tend to out-grunt the men.

For instance, any match between Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams usually turns into a symphony of interesting audibles.

Sharapova's grunt is particularly distinct; the vicious high-pitched screech every time her racquet hits the ball makes her sound like a pterodactyl in heat (or at least what I think a pterodactyl in heat would sound like, and anyone who has proof to the contrary should take it up with me).

Williams, on the other hand, expels a grunt that begins guttural but ends sharp and screechy, bringing to mind visions of a Xena-like Amazonian woman about to snap her poor opponent to bits.

I sat in the sun on Tuesday, doing primary research for this by watching the Oregon tennis teams at practice.

And I came to the conclusion that the ancient Japanese martial arts masters were right: The kiai - and by extension the grunt - functions as a focus point through which athletes channel their concentration. In tennis, it also serves another purpose: It helps the player get into a rhythm.

-VSR-
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Althought I think grunting is a natural part of releasing the immense power in your game. Screaming is not. Sharapova's are shrieks, sometimes over done. :shrug:

She's not the only one, by the way. ;)

AndreConrad
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
The thing that really bugs me is that there is absolutely no need for this screaming, watch Federer he doesn't make a sound. You do not need to yell to play better.
Hey we are joking here right? I even allowed myself for a little crude joke in this thread, however I believe these young women are putting their heart into the game. If you focus on the game exclusively you don't control necessarily your sounds or facial expressions. If you for example look at facial expressions of classical pianists or other musicians, they put their entire being into music as a result a lot of the facial expressions seem ridiculous, however the music is wonderful. Same with sport their mind and focus is on the game; I bet a lot of them donít even realize that they grunt. Well, it can be annoying, but I understand why does that happen. So is it necessary ďnoĒ, but controlling it is even less necessary. :wavey:

Coffee&TV
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
The louder the merrier. :lol: But I still don't like Azarenka's grunt :tape:

ASP0315
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
Althought I think grunting is a natural part of releasing the immense power in your game. Screaming is not. Sharapova's are shrieks, sometimes over done. :shrug:

She's not the only one, by the way. ;)

i agree sharapova shrieks are what the worse part.
i don't wheather she does that intentionally to throw opponents of tracks.

I have no problems wacthing natural grunts.
But what annoys me most is the artificial grunts.
It is very easy to identify what are artificial and what are natural grunts. As simple as that.

Those of you who said azarenka's grunts. i agree they are very annoying.

sammy01
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
ok so i dont mind grunting, but i hate screaming or shrieking.

monica seles - was fine it was on contact with the ball, it was a grunt and it was very quick.

maria sharapova - i actualy feel embarassed when shes playing and my sister walks by because shes always says 'would she quit screaming already' and its what it is a scream. i hate sharapovas grunt and worst of all i hate when she goes silent as it proves she does it for effect.

fran - hers is just too late, grunting should be on contact with the ball, this grunt is a huge no no.

lena d - dont mind hers its compact a little high pitched but harmless she does it on contact with the ball as well.

venus - she goes from grunting to shrieking to roaring, if she stuck with just grunting it would be ten times better.

ana ivanovic - i just dont get the before and after double barrled grunt, its by no means loud which is good, but does sound very odd.

vika - its horrible a match she played against jj at the oz open a couple of years ago was just aweful, this is up there with marias on annoyingness.

mary pierce - if there is such thing as a good grunt this is it, infact you can bearly notice shes doing it yet she hits with amazing power so go figure why maria has to scream to get the power.

Marshmallow
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Maria is in her own league. Sound like a bitch... really... it's a higher pitch version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKOTClyVrIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFoYxToBBo

If you minise the video, and put a video of Maria playing on, you really won't tell the difference.

But Azarenka is pushing it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjB2wRl7w6A&feature=related

Malva
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM
In my opinion grunting/screaming/shrieking in women's tennis exceeds now any acceptable levels. Women's tennis over the last several years has been transforming into an equivalent of acoustic mud wrestling. Disgusting and totally contrary to the original spirit of tennis.

I stopped to support Maria Sharapova exclusively because of her on-court screaming. In Azarenka-Kuznetsova match today I was supporting Sveta and not Azarenka exclusively because the latter's screaming was simply unbearable.

RenaSlam.
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
In my opinion grunting/screaming/shrieking in women's tennis exceeds now any acceptable levels. Women's tennis over the last several years has been transforming into an equivalent of acoustic mud wrestling. Disgusting and totally contrary to the original spirit of tennis.

I stopped to support Maria Sharapova exclusively because of her on-court screaming. In Azarenka-Kuznetsova match today I was supporting Sveta and not Azarenka exclusively because the latter's screaming was simply unbearable.

Azarenka's grunt is the worst I've ever heard. Was it that bad when she lost to Serena at the AO? I don't remember it being that awful. I muted the broadcast online because it was absolutely unbearable.

Uranium
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
I love Venus' grunt:inlove:
Serena's is a moan
Sharapova's a scream
Ana's is a horse noise
Seles' is :hearts:

Valanga
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:18 AM
Sharapova's is awful...she is SO noisy

Aaron.
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:30 AM
Safina :help:

LightWarrior
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Dementieva's grunt is really annoying and not sexy. Like she taking a dump or something on every shot. Horrible.

karimcartoon
Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:22 AM
The Pioneer of grunting: Monica Seles

Coffee&TV
Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
I love Venus' grunt:inlove:
Serena's is a moan
Sharapova's a scream
Ana's is a horse noise
Seles' is :hearts:

And Nadal.. Everytime, he sounds like he's comiiinnngggg.. :lol::tape:

LegendsofTennis
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
I remember John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors both grunting. Nobody cared. Nobody should care now. Does it matter? If it matters, those it bothers are spending too much time thinking about what noises their opponents are making, and not enough on the ways to dismantle their game. Grunting is not enough to win you matches... SKILL is.

Seriously, it’s time to get off this subject. It’s just so irrelevant.

AcesHigh
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
I remember John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors both grunting. Nobody cared. Nobody should care now. Does it matter? If it matters, those it bothers are spending too much time thinking about what noises their opponents are making, and not enough on the ways to dismantle their game. Grunting is not enough to win you matches... SKILL is.

Seriously, itís time to get off this subject. Itís just so irrelevant.

It's relevant when it is disrupting. Maybe it's just me, but 110 decibel shrieks are a bit much.

LegendsofTennis
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
I wonder if any of these people complaining about grunting noises ever listened to themselves while having sex?"

They should bug their bed rooms, that would be funny.

Malva
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:32 AM
Seriously, it’s time to get off this subject. It’s just so irrelevant.

It is relevant. You don't need to get on this subject if you are not bothered by the excessive levels of grunting/shrieking/screaming in women's tennis.

I will not comment on your second post -- I do not consider it to be in good taste.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
I just got messaged by my bro on MSN - he was asking "What were u watching yesterday in your room? It sounded like two girls screaming in ecstacy." (I was watching Maria-Dinara at the time).

I replied - "Tennis softcore porn" :lol:

Malva
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
I just got messaged by my bro on MSN - he was asking "What were u watching yesterday in your room? It sounded like two girls screaming in ecstacy." (I was watching Maria-Dinara at the time).

I replied - "Tennis softcore porn" :lol:

Ha, ha, ha... This sums this up...

~Eclipsed~
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Why the hate on Schiavone? I think her grunt is pretty funny. :lol:

Errani's is actually far worse than Sharapova's.:o

Serenita
Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:24 AM
hmmm maybe somebody mension this: Azarenka! Damn she sounds like maria.

Malva
Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
hmmm maybe somebody mension this: Azarenka! Damn she sounds like maria.

Azarenka was mention here many times. She is universally acknowledged as one of the worst offenders.

Albireo
Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
No-one was worse than the Gruntmeister himself--Thomas Muster.

!Gio!
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
whoever said Federer never grunts has obviously never watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQtC-n_2R4o

And the most annoying is Azarenka, it sounds like she is laying an egg.

!Gio!
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
and this is just disturbing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78EfkfaiAP4

Optima
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
I always thought Monica sounded like a demon when she grunted, it was actually kind of scary.

I love Lucie's :angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3XFJyJXtk

Misha's is cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8S7Llmcg7Y

Mikey.
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
I always thought Monica sounded like a demon when she grunted, it was actually kind of scary.

I love Lucie's :angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3XFJyJXtk

Misha's is cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8S7Llmcg7Y

Lucie's grunt reminds me of the noise those laser guns make on Starwars as someone is firing them :lol::eek:

prima donna
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Why are we hugging me? :hug:
I forgot, Monica Seles- that one was the worst:tape::help::shout:

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

So Disrespectful
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:48 AM
Gonzalez has the sexiest grunt :drool:

Jakeev
Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
They didn't have to grunt back then. Grunting is used as a way to get the tension and pressure out of your body as you strike the ball. Players hit so much harder now and I don't understand how some players DON'T grunt. The "pioneers of tennis" played with wooden rackets and basically tapped the ball compared to today's field.

It helps me; if I'm ever feeling tight in a match, all I do is start grunting and I can start feeling my shots again.

But, there definitely are people that use it to gain a psychological advantage, and those are the people that ruin grunting for people that actually need it.

Actually some of them did in the old days. Virginia Ruzici for instance sounded what I would call hissing when she got going.

mashamaniac
Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Gonzalez has the sexiest grunt :drool:

Lindsayfan32
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
There is no such thing as a grunt more anoying than Maria it's the most anoying noise in tennis period.

Martian KC
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Ana's seem so forced and fake. At least she can't squeak on this surface.

LightWarrior
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
and this is just disturbing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78EfkfaiAP4

Lol, it reminds me of The Birds by Hitchcock !

So Disrespectful
Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM

:confused:

manu32
Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
seles for ever

Paul.be
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Air chisel
Subway Steel Wheels
Magnetic drill press
High pressure gas leak
Banging of steel plate
Drive gear
Car at Highway Speed
Normal Fan
Vacuum Pump
Wood Planer
Air Compressor
Propeller Plane
Outboard motor
Loud street noise
Power Lawn Mover
Helicopter

Making more noise than the items in this list makes you a good candidate!

Beat
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
At least she can't squeak on this surface.
:lol:

Malva
Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Air chisel
Subway Steel Wheels
Magnetic drill press
High pressure gas leak
Banging of steel plate
Drive gear
Car at Highway Speed
Normal Fan
Vacuum Pump
Wood Planer
Air Compressor
Propeller Plane
Outboard motor
Loud street noise
Power Lawn Mover
Helicopter

Making more noise than the items in this list makes you a good candidate!

The best answer so far to the question raised in the title of this thread.