PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Serena - psychologically speaking ?

LightWarrior
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:06 AM
When she lost three times at the Slams against Henin, I thought she had an inferiority complex against her. But now losing to Srebotnik the way she did...What is she concerned about ? Even her mother said she she doesn't know what the problem is. She looked so hyper sensitive on court. Has nothing to do with her fitness (it's there) or her tennis (there too). Does she have some kind of angst or something ?

Optima
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
Serena perplexes me. I have no idea what it is - one day she can give a beatdown and then the next lose to Srebotnik. Which is not good; Serena is very good for the tour. I wanted excited, dramatic matches with her this FO, but that's not happening.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:28 AM
I think she wants to be able to just crush her opponents, and when that doesn't happen, recently she gets extremely frustrated, and starts doubting whether or not she can keep balls in play. Whenever she plays a player who is getting a lot of balls back, she doesn't have that opportunity to demolish her opponents, and there's more opportunity for her to make a silly error. That's why Justine started giving her the fits, and that's why her record against Jankovic is not stellar. Just look at the horrendous choking she had against Jankovic in the Miami final.

It's all in her head though.

homogenius
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
When she lost three times at the Slams against Henin, I thought she had an inferiority complex against her. But now losing to Srebotnik the way she did...What is she concerned about ? Even her mother said she she doesn't know what the problem is. She looked so hyper sensitive on court. Has nothing to do with her fitness (it's there) or her tennis (there too). Does she have some kind of angst or something ?

Evert's letter has traumatized her.

henree
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Serena's lack of focus is really concerning. Her mother said she was in some kind of a funk. :rolleyes:

karimcartoon
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Nothing ... I think she's fine. A loss is a loss. We're all human. Just because she lost a match doesn't mean she suddenly has so many problems ...

frontier
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
I think she is a very sensitive person,nothing wrong with that but if it becomes a pattern it can be worrying , she could be depressed.

TSequoia01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
I have been following Serena since 1999 and have my own opinions regarding her emotions on the court. Of course the only person who really knows is Serena. But what I have witnessed is Serena plays like she practices. She gets her confidence from her practices. When she enters a match, Serena knows where her game is at. If it is less than stellar her fear of losing increases, sometimes to a point it will not allow her to play. So she uses mental techniques to calm herself down. When she does this she begins to hit the ball short in the court, quit going for lines and uses lots of topspin. This is about the only time her serve sometimes breaksdown. Her eyes form narrow slits and are not wide open. On the other hand, when she is on her game and practices go well, supreme confidence reigns.

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
you people act like Serena wins every match she plays....Serena's an excellent fighter... but There are players on tour who have been in more GS finals than her... and have more tourny wins.... Just cause Serenas in the draw doesnt mean shes gonna win.

wtatennisballer
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
Nothing, Serena can't play well on clay. Stop trying to oversimplify things.
Why do African Americans dominate in football (grass) and basketball (hard floor) but not in ice hockey (ice=clay?):shrug:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Nothing, Serena can't play well on clay. Stop trying to oversimplify things

Okay... then try to explain what happened to her when she played and lost to Jankovic (so easily?) in the AO Quarterfinals? :scratch:

TSequoia01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Nothing, Serena can't play well on clay. Stop trying to oversimplify things.
Why do African Americans dominate in football (grass) and basketball (hard floor) but not in ice hockey (ice=clay?):shrug:
Ice hockey is a sport that is not in their cultural environment......most are not exposed to ice hockey, tennis either for that matter....although changing. Serena can play excellent on clay, her matches with Capriati and Justine were classics.

rommel99
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
shes kinda dellusional..

spiritedenergy
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:53 AM

i think Serena should call Chris Evert to figure herself out. Chris knows better:rolleyes:

switz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
you people act like Serena wins every match she plays....Serena's an excellent fighter... but There are players on tour who have been in more GS finals than her... and have more tourny wins.... Just cause Serenas in the draw doesnt mean shes gonna win.

yeah there are tons of players left on tour who have won 8 slams and been in 10 finals :o Venus is the only person to win be in more finals. I'd suggest Davenport is the only player to have more titles aside from Venus.

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
yeah there are tons of players left on tour who have won 8 slams and been in 10 finals :o Venus is the only person to win be in more finals. I'd suggest Davenport is the only player to have more titles aside from Venus.

Of the other Multi Grand slam champions (including the ones that just resently retired... i love how we act like Justine/ Kim etc... have long since been gone) Serena is actually on the low side as far as Titles goes....:rolleyes:

yes Serena has 8 GS titles... shes also competed in 34... so shes not winning everytime out of the block and shes not going to.... People just need to accept this... especially at the FO where she has 1 title... theres a reason she only has one, cause shes just not that good on clay....

Serena ALSO has a problem Defending titles which is what happened to her at the AO... shes only ever defended MIami and Wimbledon before.... if i remember correctly...

Whats wrong with Serena is her fans have unwarranted high standards....:rolleyes:

switz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
hysterical pregnancy??

switz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Of the other Multi Grand slam champions (including the ones that just resently retired... i love how we act like Justine/ Kim etc... have long since been gone) Serena is actually on the low side as far as Titles goes....:rolleyes:

yes Serena has 8 GS titles... shes also competed in 34... so shes not winning everytime out of the block and shes not going to.... People just need to accept this... especially at the FO where she has 1 title... theres a reason she only has one, cause shes just not that good on clay....

Serena ALSO has a problem Defending titles which is what happened to her at the AO... shes only ever defended MIami and Wimbledon before.... if i remember correctly...

Whats wrong with Serena is her fans have unwarranted high standards....:rolleyes:

errr i'm not even a fan. you said "There are players on tour who have been in more GS finals than her". I'm sorry that i didn't realise by that you meant players who are retired :tape:

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
errr i'm not even a fan. you said "There are players on tour who have been in more GS finals than her". I'm sorry that i didn't realise by that you meant players who are retired :tape:

Theres 3 top girls still around from Serena's "era" Venus Davenport and Serena...
GS titles: Serena 8 Justine 7 Venus 6 Davenport 3 Clijsters 1
GS Finals: Venus 12 Justine 11 Serena 10 Davenport 7 Clijsters 5
Titles: Davenport 55 Justine 41 Venus 36 Clijsters 34 Serena 31

The only thing she leads is the GS title count. (i threw the belgian girls in there even though they are retired to prove a point since recently and they are Serena's "competition" as far as the record books go, her fans think she wins everything and thats just not the case.....)

serenus_2k8
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Who cares abotu Grand Slam Finals if you aint winning them :o

I would trade 4 Finals for 1 Win :lol:

Adal
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
She never recovered from what happened in late 2003 mentally. And you can't blame her for that :sad:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM

how the hell does that make sense??? we have unwarranted high standards for her to not lose to players she should be beating or at least not losing in straight sets to??? :rolleyes:

and what the hell does serena fans have to do with serena's mentality??

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
It is worrying, especially since in the last two slams she has come into a match and played some crappy tennis and her mind is all over the place. It happened with Jankovic at the AO and it happened against Srebotnik here.

Fidello
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Serena's lack of focus is really concerning. Her mother said she was in some kind of a funk. :rolleyes:
is that some medical expression? :)

Dawson.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
its simple - shes a tad crazy, lets face it. she truely believes that she is the best player in the world, but doesnt have the results to back it up. there is an excuse for everything when she loses "i was unlucky", "i dont want to be here", "im injured". have you ever heard serena say that her opponent simply played better than her??

i believe that when she is at her very best, she is unbeatable, but how many times does that happen? hardly ever, whereas someone like henin played at a consistantly good level all the time, hence why she was in fact, the best player in the world

$uricate
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Maybe she has a substance abuse problem :rolleyes:

pittsburghsteely
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
she has not been the same since her sister was murdered in california.

thrust
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM

Justine has 41 tournament wins, Serena has 31.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Justine has 41 tournament wins, Serena has 31.

a lot of people who play more than serena will have more title wins than her...:shrug:

Olórin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM

You are ridiculous. I'm sorry but losing to Srebotnik? Are we holding our standards too high here? :weirdo: Serena has won nearly a quarter of the slams she has entered in her career, so statistically yes it is actually odd that she has played 6 in a row and not won a single one. In fact that hasn't happened since she first came to tour: 1998/1999.

If she's not that good on clay then how is it she has won 4/5 of the five matches she has ever played on the surface, is one of three players to have won a tier one on the surface this year. She's better on it than any of the players in your sig, that's for sure.

As for her defending titles, that is neither here nor there with regards to winning the French Open, because last time I checked she wasn't defending champion :confused: Who does do well at defending titles? Jankovic defended Rome, Henin defended RG and Berlin for a bit, but if you actually do your research it's very rare for tier one titles and above to be defended by anyone. As for her not defending lower titles, well she rarely even enters the same tier twos in consecutive years. So these comments are neither here nor there.

Jem
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
My feeling is that she's just not in shape like she needs to be. Yes, she's in much better shape than she was, but she still huffs and puffs a lot out there. In my mind, what made Serena great in that year she dominated was her conditioning. She had finally stepped it up and was not only able to get to the balls, but was ready for the next one as well. Everyone knows she has the power and strokes to dominate, but her conditioning contributes to poor footwork which contributes to errors.

Of course, I also think these days she's much better coming from behind and playing without expectations than she is when she's the big-time favorite. She definitely feels the pressure now, especially when she's playing someone who gets a lot of balls back. When she plays someone like Sharapova, there's no pressure. She can absorb Sharapova's power and dish it back, plus she moves better. When she plays a Jankovic or Strebotnik as in Paris, they move a lot better than Maria and Serena. They can deal with Serena's power, especially on clay, and I don't think Serena has that mental edge against these types of players.

Plus, no matter if she has won it before, the French and clay will always be where Serena is least effective. All in all, I like Serena's chances at Wimbledon or the U.S. Open, although I'd put Venus ahead of her as a favorite on the grass.

Olórin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Theres 3 top girls still around from Serena's "era" Venus Davenport and Serena...
GS titles: Serena 8 Justine 7 Venus 6 Davenport 3 Clijsters 1
GS Finals: Venus 12 Justine 11 Serena 10 Davenport 7 Clijsters 5
Titles: Davenport 55 Justine 41 Venus 36 Clijsters 34 Serena 31

The only thing she leads is the GS title count. (i threw the belgian girls in there even though they are retired to prove a point since recently and they are Serena's "competition" as far as the record books go, her fans think she wins everything and thats just not the case.....)

Serena and Justine both have won around 1/4 of the slams they entered, no-one else comes close in that stat. Serena has entered far less tournaments than any of the other players mentioned. Justine entered around 150, Serena has entered around 110. I think Serena actually has a better % of tournaments won / tournaments entered than anyone else in that group. Anyone can randomly choose stats to prove a point, see?

And please find the exact quote where a Serena fan has said she "wins everything." If you can't find that post, then kindly stop with your ridiculous posts.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
You are ridiculous. I'm sorry but losing to Srebotnik? Are we holding our standards too high here? :weirdo: Serena has won nearly a quarter of the slams she has entered in her career, so statistically yes it is actually odd that she has played 6 in a row and not won a single one. In fact that hasn't happened since she first came to tour: 1998/1999.

If she's not that good on clay then how is it she has won 4/5 of the five matches she has ever played on the surface, is one of three players to have won a tier one on the surface this year. She's better on it than any of the players in your sig, that's for sure.

As for her defending titles, that is neither here nor there with regards to winning the French Open, because last time I checked she wasn't defending champion :confused: Who does do well at defending titles? Jankovic defended Rome, Henin defended RG and Berlin for a bit, but if you actually do your research it's very rare for tier one titles and above to be defended by anyone. As for her not defending lower titles, well she rarely even enters the same tier twos in consecutive years. So these comments are neither here nor there.

:kiss::kiss:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Serena and Justine both have won around 1/4 of the slams they entered, no-one else comes close in that stat. Serena has entered far less tournaments than any of the other players mentioned. Justine entered around 150, Serena has entered around 110. I think Serena actually has a better % of tournaments won / tournaments entered than anyone else in that group. Anyone can randomly choose stats to prove a point, see?

And please find the exact quote where a Serena fan has said she "wins everything." If you can't find that post, then kindly stop with your ridiculous posts.

:kiss::kiss:

sweetpeas
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
My true thoughts are,Serena operation!I keep recalling her father,stated he just don"t know how Serena can play under those conditions...I thought maybe Serena was pregrancy,haha. Maybe the DR"s . told the Williams family something after her knee operaton?Maybe they told Serena,she could get two good years!I don"t know...But that my take!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Oh!!

:haha:

Dodoboy.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Serena is the only RG champion left on the tour :worship:

Obviously this won't last long but :shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
This thread :o

So basically, after every loss are we going to start writing career obits, or creating fictitious crossroads?

Serena's having the 2nd best year on the WTA Tour, and is even, (before the FO) having a better year than Fed. 3 losses this year are nothing to freak out about. Yes, 2 of them were in slams, and were filled with (in the words of Diddy) "bitchassness" but :shrug: you have off days :shrug: Only 1 player out of every field is going to win the title, and Serena's still on the top of the list for titles won (even after the FO, as Sharapova made her exit today).

When we get to the meat of the grass/Summer HC season, we'll really see what this newly dedicated Serena is all about.

I do get a little :unsure: at the fact that BOTH of those GS losses were in straight sets, and neither went to at least 7-5 or a breaker, but :shrug: you have bad days.....

chuvack
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
I started a thread that Serena is exhibiting some signs of a person who may be abusing Prozac or Xanax, and the administration promply deleated it. Wouldnt want people to have a sniff of the truth I suppose.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
I started a thread that Serena is exhibiting some signs of a person who may be abusing Prozac or Xanax, and the administration promply deleated it. Wouldnt want people to have a sniff of the truth I suppose.

No. They just don't want dumb-assed posts.

Rep' to the admin!

comfortably.numb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Serena fans (and tennis fans in general) must be blind if they can't see a significant difference in Serena's psychological game now compared to 4+ years ago. She falls apart far more frequently now compared to when she was at her peak. Even this year when she won those titles, she had several matches where she broke down completely while barely being able to recover and win the match. She would splay unforced errors everywhere, mope around court, and practically look like she's about to break down in tears. This Serena gets down on herself and basically gives up on matches far more frequently than she would have in the past. What exactly is wrong with her, no one knows, but she obviously is dealing with something. She still has the athleticism and talent to dominate. She needs to figure it out as soon as possible or give up on winning multiple slams per year. One slam every two years is pathetic for a champion of her caliber.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Serena fans (and tennis fans in general) must be blind if they can't see a significant difference in Serena's psychological game now compared to 4+ years ago. She falls apart far more frequently now compared to when she was at her peak. Even this year when she won those titles, she had several matches where she broke down completely while barely being able to recover and win the match. She would splay unforced errors everywhere, mope around court, and practically look like she's about to break down in tears. This Serena gets down on herself and basically gives up on matches far more frequently than she would have in the past. What exactly is wrong with her, no one knows, but she obviously is dealing with something. She still has the athleticism and talent to dominate. She needs to figure it out as soon as possible or give up on winning multiple slams per year. One slam every two years is pathetic for a champion of her caliber.

She's getting older. What tends to happen to tennis players (and golfers, for that matter) once they get to a certain age is the get more susceptible to the "yips" in crucial moments. Now, I agree, at the root of this a mental thing. Maybe they the pressure of the opportunity, realizing that there could be fewer of them down the line. Maybe it's feeling they have more to lose or having a greater- and therefore more pressured filled- understanding of what's at stake. Who knows, but this is not an extraordinary pattern to see.

...Ask J.Cap.

sharapovarulz1
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I think Serena is fine!

matty
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
I think she is a very sensitive person,nothing wrong with that but if it becomes a pattern it can be worrying , she could be depressed.

I agree, sounds like she's suffering from depression--sensitive, moody, lack of motivation...hopefully she can fix her brain chemicals and be happy.

comfortably.numb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
She's getting older. What tends to happen to tennis players (and golfers, for that matter) once they get to a certain age is the get more susceptible to the "yips" in crucial moments. Now, I agree, at the root of this a mental thing. Maybe they the pressure of the opportunity, realizing that there could be fewer of them down the line. Maybe it's feeling they have more to lose or having a greater- and therefore more pressured filled- understanding of what's at stake. Who knows, but this is not an extraordinary pattern to see.

...Ask J.Cap.
Not extraordinary, but sad to happen to a player that was once hailed as potentially being the greatest female player of all time. This didn't happen to other all time greats like Steffi or Martina. It's sad because Serena's descent began just as she started to really dominate the game. And now, when she still has an opportunity to win more slams, she can't because she mentally can't compete. I don't know, it just seemed that Serena was the type of player that wouldn't go through this type of lull in her career. I could see others like Jennifer or even Venus suffering though this, but not Serena.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
...This didn't happen to other all time greats like Steffi or Martina.

Yes. It did to a degree. That doesn't mean they don't win anymore. It means it's more difficult to dominate- as it was with the afore mentioned players.

...And now, when she still has an opportunity to win more slams, she can't because she mentally can't compete.

You base this on this result at the French? :haha: You are WAAAAAAY over stating.

I don't know, it just seemed that Serena was the type of player that wouldn't go through this type of lull in her career...

...um...Okay. Have you been WATCHING over the last several years?

Look, frankly, I don't agree with your assessment because you are way too extreme with it. While as a player gets older, it does get tougher mentally, you seem to think it's all over, which is actually amusing.

misael
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Serena won three tournaments this year, one of them a Tier1,she can play on clay, but it's always going to be her hardest surface, the year is still young, there's still Wimbeldon, and The US Open,plus a few Tier 1 tournament and The Year End Championships.She will be among the favorites for the remaining slams.She's currently #5 and #3 on the results so far this year, so she's doing very well.

Matt01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Serena won three tournaments this year, one of them a Tier1,she can play on clay.

Serena has won 2 Tier I tournaments this year.

comfortably.numb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
You base this on this result at the French? :haha: You are WAAAAAAY over stating.

...um...Okay. Have you been WATCHING over the last several years?

Look, frankly, I don't agree with your assessment because you are way too extreme with it. While as a player gets older, it does get tougher mentally, you seem to think it's all over, which is actually amusing.Please tell me where I based my assesment of Serena's current state on one slam. Either you have comprehension problems or you're being irritatingly condescending. I was basing my assessment on Serena's form the last 3 years. She has won only two slams and rarely makes it past the quarterfinals at slams. She does fairly well in lesser tournaments but even those results are underwhelming. Again, when I say that Serena seemed like the type of player not to have a career lull like this one, I was basing that on Serena's mental and physical capabilities when she was at her peak. Obviously not the Serena of the past 3 or so yrs because her current form would be no surprise.

Quite frankly I dont care if you agree with me or not. My assessment of her current form is far from extreme. Serena's mental issues have pretty much been consistent since she was 23. I'm not saying she can't get it together and her career is over but time is running out. Serena's issues are more complicated than simply getting older.

Tennisstar86
Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Not extraordinary, but sad to happen to a player that was once hailed as potentially being the greatest female player of all time. This didn't happen to other all time greats like Steffi or Martina. It's sad because Serena's descent began just as she started to really dominate the game. And now, when she still has an opportunity to win more slams, she can't because she mentally can't compete. I don't know, it just seemed that Serena was the type of player that wouldn't go through this type of lull in her career. I could see others like Jennifer or even Venus suffering though this, but not Serena.

except the "other greats" if you will werent as emotional as Serena on and off the court....as others have said shes a bit crazy....and since shes got so much personality and is involved in her matches shes more prone to go crazy out there on herself..

and im happy to see the Serena crazies in this thread proved my point....:help:

Yes Serena has lost 5 straight, but its not like at each GS she lost to some scrub like she did this time.... Jankovic and Henin are good players... No matter how much Serena and her fans want to think Serena doesnt have to practice and show up half assed on the court and still win. this wont work against players worth a damn....

SV_Fan
Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
It was just a bad day.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Either you have comprehension problems or you're being irritatingly condescending.

Admittedly, quite likely the latter.

I was basing my assessment on Serena's form the last 3 years. She has won only two slams and rarely makes it past the quarterfinals at slams.

Well, see, there's your problem. By basing your assessment on the last three years and by making the short-sighted statement, "Serena seemed like the type of player not to have a career lull like this one," you expose your failure to look at Serena's career in the aggregate.

"Peak" Serena, unfortunately, was only- roughly- a year and a half period. PRIOR to the glorious "Serena Slam" (despite having won the '99 USO) and since the "Serena Slam"(combined, a period of several years and the lion's share of Serena's career), Serena career has regrettably been marked with silly mental crumbles (ask J.Cap ;) ), inconsistencies, and inexplicable yips, playing well below her prodigious capabilities.

So, when you say this "...Serena's mental issues have pretty much been consistent since she was 23." You simply fail to see the whole picture.

But, despite having said all this, I still think that Serena's most RECENT frailties are not atypical of a player getting older. :shrug:

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Wimbledon will tell...clay's tough for her, if she's not having a good day. She had chances in that match, but couldn't quite take them. We'll see what happens at Wimbledon.

frontier
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Serena still has slams in her and when she lost in Australia she said she is going to win Wimbledon not RG.

sunset
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
Okay... then try to explain what happened to her when she played and lost to Jankovic (so easily?) in the AO Quarterfinals? :scratch:

Good one! :lol: Serena has been chewed up and spit out by most everyone that she has played over the last couple of years. Including losses to players who previously had never taken a set from her in the past. I think its obvious he game is declining. :lol: :bounce: :bounce:

sunset
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Please tell me where I based my assesment of Serena's current state on one slam. Either you have comprehension problems or you're being irritatingly condescending. I was basing my assessment on Serena's form the last 3 years. She has won only two slams and rarely makes it past the quarterfinals at slams. She does fairly well in lesser tournaments but even those results are underwhelming. Again, when I say that Serena seemed like the type of player not to have a career lull like this one, I was basing that on Serena's mental and physical capabilities when she was at her peak. Obviously not the Serena of the past 3 or so yrs because her current form would be no surprise.

Quite frankly I dont care if you agree with me or not. My assessment of her current form is far from extreme. Serena's mental issues have pretty much been consistent since she was 23. I'm not saying she can't get it together and her career is over but time is running out. Serena's issues are more complicated than simply getting older.

Bravo!! Well said. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Uranium
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Good one! :lol: Serena has been chewed up and spit out by most everyone that she has played over the last couple of years. Including losses to players who previously had never taken a set from her in the past. I think its obvious he game is declining. :lol: :bounce: :bounce:

chewed up and spit out?
are you that stupid, you make it seem like she loses easily, uh she doesn't. Pretty sure Ana hasn't beaten Serena and Jankovic has played Serena and beaten her when Serena was playing disgusting(AO 2008 and LA 2006?) Serena was Errorena. Learn the meaning of words and sayings, because you are a hater that makes no sense and is useless.
Her game is declining:rolls:, once again, you are an idiot, she won Miami, beating Jankovic and Henin, Bangalore, and Charleston. Maybe you are a bitter hater, or just a plain ole idiot if you think her game is declining because she had one bad match.

harloo
Jun 4th, 2008, 12:17 AM

...Ask J.Cap.

Agreed, I also think Serena isn't playing pressure free anymore. The pattern started in Miami where she put enormous amounts of pressure on herself and from there it became a problem at Charleston. She has to find a way too relax.

I can only imagine what kind of pressure she was under at the FO. Considering she was the only player in the draw with a FO title and Justine's retirement, everybody expected her to win. During her second round match one of the commentators on TTC mentioned that Serena has to get used too being the favorite again. I happened to agree with her and for some reason I knew she wouldn't win the title. Of course I didn't think she would lose so early but maybe that will help her in the long run. She still won even having these mental lapses in Miami and Charleston and really didn't address it. Now she'll have to take a long hard look at what she's doing wrong.:)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Please tell me where I based my assesment of Serena's current state on one slam. Either you have comprehension problems or you're being irritatingly condescending. I was basing my assessment on Serena's form the last 3 years. She has won only two slams and rarely makes it past the quarterfinals at slams. She does fairly well in lesser tournaments but even those results are underwhelming. Again, when I say that Serena seemed like the type of player not to have a career lull like this one, I was basing that on Serena's mental and physical capabilities when she was at her peak. Obviously not the Serena of the past 3 or so yrs because her current form would be no surprise.

change the 'e' in your name to 'i' :wavey:

Wtatennis212
Jun 4th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Psychologically I think Serena thinks she is too good. She feels like she is so far above everybody that she doesn't really need to show up to matches. If she would respect her opponents more she would be better. Same with Venus.

Tennisstar86
Jun 4th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Psychologically I think Serena thinks she is too good. She feels like she is so far above everybody that she doesn't really need to show up to matches. If she would respect her opponents more she would be better. Same with Venus.

that may be the case with Serena.... but i dont think thats Venus' problem....

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Agreed, I also think Serena isn't playing pressure free anymore. The pattern started in Miami where she put enormous amounts of pressure on herself and from there it became a problem at Charleston. She has to find a way too relax.

I can only imagine what kind of pressure she was under at the FO. Considering she was the only player in the draw with a FO title and Justine's retirement, everybody expected her to win. During her second round match one of the commentators on TTC mentioned that Serena has to get used too being the favorite again. I happened to agree with her and for some reason I knew she wouldn't win the title. Of course I didn't think she would lose so early but maybe that will help her in the long run. She still won even having these mental lapses in Miami and Charleston and really didn't address it. Now she'll have to take a long hard look at what she's doing wrong.:)

Agreed! Astute!

starin
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM

in her interview I think she gave too much credit to Srebotnik. Srebotnik is a decent mover but she's hardly very fast but Serena was talking like Srebotnik was Jankovic or something. Anyhoo prolly less to do w/ that and more to do how much pressure she's putting on herself. I agree w/ what other people are saying which is she has to find a way to deal w/ being the favorite again. She got too used to playing w/ zero expectations and pressure. She had a similar prblm at the beg. of her career and found a way to work through it so hopefully she can do it again.

santhuruu
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Well you know, no matter what is wrong, Serena is letting her negative emotions affect her game. I mean when she is feeling positive and when she is showing those come on fist pumps with an intimidating face, you can see that she is playing good tennis, but when she is negative about herself, it will affect her game as well. And I am surprised by it, since Serena is a very experienced player and I thought after 2005, she would have a better control about it. But this clears out that she is a human too!

Destiny
Jun 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Serena , Serena Serena Serena