PDA

View Full Version : Stop Slagging Off Cetkovska!

47eggs
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:02 PM
I have just looked at the thread for Ivanovic's win against Cetkovska. I am really angry at some of the comments about Cetkovska. Ok so the scoreline was bad, particularly for a 4th round match, but it has been a great effort from the girl, making the 4th round of a grand slam. She will be on the verge of breaking into the top 50 with the ranking points she has just earned. Todays loss ended an impressive 13 match winning streak for her and she can hardly be criticised for her position in the rankings, she has beaten numerous former and current top 100 players in the past year and deserves everything she gets.

What frustrates me the most is that if she does back this up with more good results, people will be be rushing to jump on the bandwaggon of success, suddenly acting as Cetkovska's biggest fan.

Anyway, i dont think the girl deserves some of the criticism being dished out. Good luck to her in the grass court season and hopefully she can prove to all of you who suggested she was "lucky", "a joke" or a "terrible player" etc, that she is not.

Well done Petra and all the best for the coming months.

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM
We are hearing everything you say, loud and clear.

...but she still sucks.

AnomyBC
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM
I like Cetkovska. I saw her video on the WTA site and now I feel like I know her.

Cetkovska <3

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
I have just looked at the thread for Ivanovic's win against Cetkovska. I am really angry at some of the comments about Cetkovska. Ok so the scoreline was bad, particularly for a 4th round match, but it has been a great effort from the girl, making the 4th round of a grand slam. She will be on the verge of breaking into the top 50 with the ranking points she has just earned. Todays loss ended an impressive 13 match winning streak for her and she can hardly be criticised for her position in the rankings, she has beaten numerous former and current top 100 players in the past year and deserves everything she gets.

What frustrates me the most is that if she does back this up with more good results, people will be be rushing to jump on the bandwaggon of success, suddenly acting as Cetkovska's biggest fan.

Anyway, i dont think the girl deserves some of the criticism being dished out. Good luck to her in the grass court season and hopefully she can prove to all of you who suggested she was "lucky", "a joke" or a "terrible player" etc, that she is not.

Post of the day.

It is a shame some of the smug condescending posts come from people on this forum who really should know better too. You don't win 10 ITF tournaments by being a crap player.

Emina.
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM
1.I think Cetkovskas talented.
2.I think Ivanovic is too much for her at the moment.

Corswandt
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Post of the day.

It is a shame some of the smug condescending posts come from people on this forum who really should know better too. You don't win 10 ITF tournaments by being a crap player.

Seen her play before.

She sux.

Sometimes, that's all there is to it.

spiceboy
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM

You are absolutely right...but then welcome to Wtaworld's General Messages :kiss: :wavey:

kolan
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
i mostly agree with you. this girl has had to overcome so much and to even be playing tennis at the top level is :worship:

however, i do not think she will be a top 20 player and will probably get beat 9/10 by any player in the top 5

i do respect cetkovska and wish her the best for the grass court season - oh and anyone who said she sucks must surely be able to beat her then :rolleyes:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Seen her play before.

She sux.

Sometimes, that's all there is to it.

Err, no.

Quite.

Cetkovska has no business being in the 4R of a Slam. Just a challenger level scrub who got lucky.

Of her "awesome" RG run, ES showed only the MP vs Benesova, with Cetkovska hitting puffballs that landed around the T until Benesova missed. I suppose that's how she played throughout the tournament, because Cetkovska has no weapons whatsoever, no speed, no fighting spirit, nothing at all - other than being really gorgeous. I don't whine about "the current state of the game" all that much, but it really says a lot when a player such as Cetkovska can reach a Slam 4R. It's more likely to happen at RG than anywhere else, but still.

Ivanovic still serving rather poorly according to stats.

Cetkovska actually has a winning record in the main draws of WTA level events this year of 8 wins and 7 loses. All eight of those wins were over players who got into the main draw of Roland Garros based on their rankings too so it isn't that she has been beating WCs or LLs either. If Cekovska sux and is just a challenger level scrub then I suppose we can say the same about most of the lower top 50 who by and large have had significantly worse results this year than has Cetkovska. Perhaps you really do believe that outside of the top 50 everyone sux. :shrug:

Corswandt, this post, as with all your posts, is endowed with your usual high level of articulacy and as is normal is dryly and very stylishly written. Unfortunately this fails to disguise the fact that the actual content of what you are trying to say has as much validity and reasoned thinking as the average cheo23 post ranting about Meusburger. :tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
i mostly agree with you. this girl has had to overcome so much and to even be playing tennis at the top level is :worship:

however, i do not think she will be a top 20 player and will probably get beat 9/10 by any player in the top 5

i do respect cetkovska and wish her the best for the grass court season - oh and anyone who said she sucks must surely be able to beat her then :rolleyes:

That is pretty much sums it up. She is highly unlikely to ever be an elite player or even someone capable of beating elite players but she is a solid top 100 standard player very able to get wins against other players ranked in the 40 to a 100 range. In other words she is a good player.

spiritedenergy
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:51 AM
Err, no.

Cetkovska actually has a winning record in the main draws of WTA level events this year of 8 wins and 7 loses. All eight of those wins were over players who got into the main draw of Roland Garros based on their rankings too so it isn't that she has been beating WCs or LLs either. If Cekovska sux and is just a challenger level scrub then I suppose we can say the same about most of the lower top 50 who by and large have had significantly worse results this year than has Cetkovska. Perhaps you really do believe that outside of the top 50 everyone sux. :shrug:

Corswandt, this post, as with all your posts, is endowed with your usual high level of articulacy and as is normal is dryly and very stylishly written. Unfortunately this fails to disguise the fact that the actual content of what you are trying to say has as much validity and reasoned thinking as the average cheo23 post ranting about Meusburger. :tape:

:lol:;)

iPatty
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:00 AM
Her entire match against Benesova consisted of her hitting weak slices or weak forehands down the middle of the court and Iveta blasting forehands into the fence. Only in Paris is a girl like Cetkovska going to get to the 4R of a slam. She got a weak seed and then no one for two rounds.

Pasta-Na
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:01 AM

u will get used to it :p

crazylace01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
:worship:

petra :hearts: you'll be back. ;)

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM
I actually became kind of a fan, even though she lost 0-6 0-6

iPatty
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Her entire match against Benesova consisted of her hitting weak slices or weak forehands down the middle of the court and Iveta blasting forehands into the fence. Only in Paris is a girl like Cetkovska going to get to the 4R of a slam. She got a weak seed and then no one for two rounds.

If Cetkovska ever makes a Slam 4R again you can quote this post and call me a loser and an idiot. :cool:

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:13 AM
If Cetkovska ever makes a Slam 4R again you can quote this post and call me a loser and an idiot. :cool:

We can do that, of course. Your posts in general, however, seem to indicate that you are not afraid of being called such epithets.

rated_next
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
Iveta Benesova and Alona Bondarenko must be really really bad then. :o :tape:

rated_next
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Oh, and congrats Petra on almost reaching top 50 :) :) -- most people can only dream of achieving this
keep winning matches and keep moving up the rankings :)

larice121
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Interesting thread.....after reading the postes about Petra's loss,I've been thinking all day about some of the caustic and judgemental remarks. We actually "housed" Petra and her coach a few years ago and know her to be a sweet, nice and beautiful person (inside and out) It always amazes me at the criticism by the "armchair quarterbacks" when referring to players that have a WORLD ranking. Actually, none of the players who we see on tv "suck" if you remember we're paying to see them play and most of the members of the forum are at most just recreational players who are just happy to win their match for the day. The remark about her just smiling after each point and the match's conclusion makes me think she was probably dying inside and is more disappointed in her performance than even these critics of WTA World.

Nikkiri
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
I liked her. She was pretty :)

She went into the match thinking she had no chance at all and it showed. :hug:

tequila
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
She's cute and I like her accent :)

Harvs
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
she got crushed... u cant expect ANYONE to be impressed by her out there today... it was bad for her, bad for the fans, bad for the tournament and not great for ivanovic - barely having to raise a sweat at all.

AUSBOY
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Her entire match against Benesova consisted of her hitting weak slices or weak forehands down the middle of the court and Iveta blasting forehands into the fence.
No Shit! That was her tactic and game plan you idiot!!! And she executed it well, and it worked perfectly!!

She has far more variety to her game than that. Give the girl some credit!!!

There are plenty of players in the top 100 who don't handle variety or junk balls hit to them. Look how successful Niculescu is. Her whole game is based on upsetting her opponents rhythm, and she does it very well. Doesn't mean she can't pound her groundstrokes when she needs too.

Wojtek
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
She played terrible. She was slow, no power in her game, nothing, she won 3 or 4 points after dropshots. Maybe she won few ITF events but 10k or 25k aren't 4th round of GS.

spiceboy
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
She played terrible. She was slow, no power in her game, nothing, she won 3 or 4 points after dropshots. Maybe she won few ITF events but 10k or 25k aren't 4th round of GS.

She arrived in RG with two $50K wins in a row :worship:

AUSBOY
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
It was her first time up against a top 5 player with no real weaknesses! Its a new experience for her, of course its going to be tough and she will feel helpless and overwhelmed. You can't judge her on this match!

Viktymise
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Iveta Benesova and Alona Bondarenko must be really really bad then. :o :tape:

Alona had a knee injury and could barely move. I don't think it would have been even possible for Alona to have gotten bagelled by Cetkovska under normal circumstances. :tape:

SM
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Exellent posts Ausboy!

I'm sick of the bullshit about how bad Petra is. She is not bad, she obviously played to a high standard to get to the 4th round and win so many conseuctive matches...she obviously had a bad day against Ivanovic, and it was exacerbated by the fact Ivanovic can obviously play to the VERY HIGHEST of levels when she is on and can demolish even people like Sharapova 6-1 6-2 on red clay (remember last years semis?????)!!!!

SM
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
and i would love to see how many 'points', let alone games some of u armchair critics would get from Petra if u played her...:P

Beat
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Her entire match against Benesova consisted of her hitting weak slices or weak forehands down the middle of the court and Iveta blasting forehands into the fence.

but she beat bondarenko, voskoboeva and benesova, all in straight sets (losing 3 games against bondarenko). if these players are not even able to win a set against cetkovska, she must have done something right.

anyway, i'm pretty sure most of you have seen 0 or 1 match involving her, so ...

Wojtek
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
and i would love to see how many 'points', let alone games some of u armchair critics would get from Petra if u played her...:P

i'm not profesional player but I expect I would have a similar score vs Ivanovic. :haha: :haha: Maybe Cetkovska is so bad :rolleyes:

Wojtek
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
It was her first time up against a top 5 player with no real weaknesses! Its a new experience for her, of course its going to be tough and she will feel helpless and overwhelmed. You can't judge her on this match!

We're judging her after 1/8 match because probably it's the only event where we could watch her live. TV doesn't show 25k or 50k.

kittyking
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Shes mentally fragile, and the likes of Dani and Vera get hammered in GM because of this so why shouldn't Petra :confused:

Sneakerface
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I got a bunch of amateur home video shot at Wimbledon in '00 - including some of a Jrs. match between Cetkovska and Harkleroad ...also on it footage from Hingis & Pierce partnering in doubles, Coetzer v. Osterloh, Van Roost & Van Houdt in mixed doubles, as well as other matches that include Spirlea, Pitkowski, Maleeva and others. Any interest email me at n9ck AT earthlink DOT net

tobi
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Didnt watch her play so cant judge but for me funniest of all was thinking of Petra beating Ana.

Corswandt
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM

Lamest argument I've ever read.

So now to be able to dismiss a shitty airport thriller as dreck you have to be able to write a novel yourself?

Rankings were never a reliable measure of a player's ability, let alone now. Yes, a player in the top 50, even in the top 40, can be said to "suck" when compared to other pro players. Badly. I mean, Müller was top 40 for bloody ages. I saw Cetkovska play live and I know she has no game whatsoever, and if this is perceived by some as a personal slight to her or themselves, then tough shit. Pro athletes must endure public scrutiny and aren't beyond criticism.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Lamest argument I've ever read.

So now to be able to dismiss a shitty airport thriller as dreck you have to be able to write a novel yourself?

Rankings were never a reliable measure of a player's ability, let alone now. Yes, a player in the top 50, even in the top 40, can be said to "suck" when compared to other pro players. Badly. I mean, Müller was top 40 for bloody ages. I saw Cetkovska play live and I know she has no game whatsoever, and if this is perceived by some as a personal slight to her or themselves, then tough shit. Pro athletes must endure public scrutiny and aren't beyond criticism.

What about results? Do you consider results to be a reliable measure of a player's ability. I do. As far as I am concerned she has beaten too many good players to be a bad player. It's that simple.

I love how you constantly repeat that you have seen Cetkovska play live. Good. So have I, at Roehampton last year. However unlike you I have never been so arrogant as to believe I could assess a player was crap on the basis on one match. On occasion I can assess that a player is a good, even a great player on the basis of one match but I can not assess that a player is bad on the basis of one match.

So do Benesova, Alona Bondarenko, Bacsinszky, Kleybanova and Loit also suck? It might be very enlightening for you to produce a comprehesive list of all the players ranked in the top 100 who you regard as "sucking". Well maybe not enlightening, but at the very least amusing. :tape: