PDA

View Full Version : What should Venus' seed for Wimbledon be?

new-york
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM

junlee_vee
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
As you know, Wimbledon uses a players previous results to help seed them, so what do you think Venus should be seeded?

I think she definitely should be top 4 easily!

Lucas_Arg
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM
1 - Maria
2 - Venus
3 - Serena
4 - Ana

Real Semifinals.

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Since Wimbledon changes the seedings:

-Venus should be #4.
-Either Kuznetsova or Jankovic should be bumped down to #5.
-Sharapova is a former champ with 2 semi appearances, and Ivanovic did reach the semis last year, so they are top 4 as well.
-Serena hasn't been past the quarters since 2004, so no need to change her seeding. I expect her to reach semis at least this year though.
-Bartoli might be #8 if she plays, since she did so well last year. Either Dementieva or Chakvetadze should be #9.

champion88
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
If I remember correctly, it is ranking points + 100% last year result + 50% 2 years ago result + 25% 3 years ago result

So she should have just less than 1500 points added, so probably #4 seed? :shrug:

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM
1 - Maria
2 - Venus
3 - Serena
4 - Ana

Real Semifinals.

I agree with this in theory, but they can't give Serena a top 4 seeding because since 2004 her results haven't backed it up. She probably would have beaten Henin last year if not for the thumb injury which prevented her from hitting good 2 handed backhands, but still, Serena will stay in the #5-#8 seeds. She'll get past the quarters this year though.

Slutati
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM
Wimbledon is so stupid:rolleyes:

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM
If I remember correctly, it is ranking points + 100% last year result + 50% 2 years ago result + 25% 3 years ago result

So she should have just less than 1500 points added, so probably #4 seed? :shrug:

This is for ATP, I believe. There is no any special formula for women if I'm not mistaken.

sasha&tennis
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:46 PM
I think that she should be in the top 4. Now whether or not they do it remains to be seen. But if there are really seating her based on her accomplishments on that surface she should be #1.

Mikey.
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM

:confused:

Highlandman
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
It would be great if she is seeded Top-4 , however it would not be that great anymore if she is going to play Serena in QF then :o

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:52 PM
This is for ATP, I believe. There is no any special formula for women if I'm not mistaken.

They usually don't for the women, but they did bump up Venus' seeding a little bit last year. For some reason, Wimbledon mostly seems to care about only the men's game.

sasha&tennis, I agree, but they would never take away the #1's seeding. At least in this case, the current #1 can play on grass.

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
It would be great if she is seeded Top-4 , however it would not be that great anymore if she is going to play Serena in QF then :o

OMG-that would probably happen! :eek: All the other girls would be jumping for joy!

Dave.
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
It wouldn't be right if she wasen't top 4.

starin
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM

i'm pretty sure they used that same formula for Venus last year. But Venus was the only one they used it for.

Infiniti2001
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Do a forum search, there's a thread about this already. Personally , I believe she should be seeded according to her rank :shrug:

Deck
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
It wouldn't be right if she wasen't top 4.

It would. This Wimbledon special seeding is a complete joke. They should just stick to the ranking like the others do. I do not disagree that Venus is better on grass than some player before her in the WTA ranking. But this is not the point. The point is that those players placed before her are placed before her, because they reached the better results over the last 52 weeks. She has to cope with that and maybe play so. better ranked than her in the QF, not in the semis...

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Top 4.

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Here's the thing-I think at every tournament they should seed by ranking BUT if Wimbledon is going to fiddle around with the men's seedings (which they ALWAYS do), then they ought to do it for the women. It's dumb to ignore the women.

Il Primo!
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
They should give the first 3 spots to Masha, Reena and Vee in order to make this tourney intertesting and to avoid premature showdowns like last year between Vee and Mash :o

schorsch
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
I dont like the fact that its only used on some people. If it were to be used on everyone I still wouldnt like it, but it at least would seem a bit more fair.

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
I think they should make her top 4 or not change her at all.
because their won't be a difference between 5 and 7, so either change her to top 4 or leave her:shrug:

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM
I thought she should have been top 4 last year.
I think she should be top 4 this year.

I think she should be top 4 until she retires at Wimbledon.

Willam
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
She deserves the seed of the ranks she haves :shrug:

starin
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
makes no difference anyways, if she brings her A game to grass she's going to crush the field regardless of her rank. And if she doesn't she could lose to someone like Kudryatseva or Raymond :tape:

And it's kinda fun seeing overanked players get knocked out early.

Serenita
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Vee: 1

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Just put her and Serena on opposite ends of the draw and I'll be happy.

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
Actually, I hope she's seeded what she is now so she can take out the faves of everyone saying she shouldn't be seeded top 4 :lol: :rolls: :lol: :rolls:

Then they'll be sorry.

Slutiana
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM
i'm pretty sure they used that same formula for Venus last year. But Venus was the only one they used it for.
Don't think so. That is too uniform..

Was Venus the only person they changed, man or woman?

I think people will be pleasently suprised (i.e higher than 4) because she beat 3 of the current top 4 en-route to her title last year.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
If they do bump her seed (which at her current rank is unneccessary) it would be stupid to bump her into the top 4 and then put her on Court 2 for the entire first week :tape:

Wtatennis212
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
If based on previous results she should be seeded high, but she is so unpredictable. It seems like all the girls in the top 10 are decent on grass so I think they should do what the rankings say.

dagamezbest
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
If they do bump her seed (which at her current rank is unneccessary) it would be stupid to bump her into the top 4 and then put her on Court 2 for the entire first week :tape:

She has to at least play her first round on the Centre Court since its always a tradition for the defending champ to play thier first round.

BEEILOVEYA
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
I would say around 5.

starin
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
i only want them to bump her up if she falls out of the top 8 b4 Wimbledon. it's the only thing that'll make a big difference.

cellophane
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
makes no difference anyways, if she brings her A game to grass she's going to crush the field regardless of her rank. And if she doesn't she could lose to someone like Kudryatseva or Raymond :tape:

Um, Kudryavtseva and Raymond are completely different. Lisa was playing so well in their '06 match. Shame she didn't win it.

Cp6uja
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
Venus will be 4th seed at Wimbledon. Only her withdraw or eventual Sveta/Jelena RG final will prevent that (IMO).

Dawson.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM
venus should be #4
jankovic bumped down to #5
bartoli #8
chakvetadze #10 (at the very highest)
davenport #16

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM
I think Venus has proven her seed and Wimby doesn't matter much- at least not to her ;) .

ce
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
if venus passes 1/4 this year i will be very surpised,same for serena
so leave her at 7(or whatever her rank is)

btw i hope i am wrong :angel:

drgray
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:26 PM
They will probably also see who performed best in the grass season before the tourney. But my top 5 would be:

1. Maria
2. Venus
3. Jankovic
4. Ivanovic
5. Kuzzy/Serena

Maria and Venus top 2 because of their great grass results. Jankovic isn't a bad grass courter either, last year 1 title, 1 final, and 4R at Wimbly. Ivanovic made the semis at wimbly last year. And Serena and Sveta battle it out for the 5th seed as they both made it to quarters last year with no warm up.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:18 AM
I don't care. It hardyly matters. I want Venus to show up ready to compete. i say let her be unseeded and wreck the draw

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Um, Kudryavtseva and Raymond are completely different. Lisa was playing so well in their '06 match. Shame she didn't win it.

Yeah Venus played pretty well for most of the match, just had a couple hiccups in the first set tiebreak and one bad service game in the 2nd set. Other than that Lisa was just on fire!

homogenius
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
She's 6 in the ranking actually.If Dementieva wins today she'll be n°5 with Serena 6 and Venus 7.Maybe both sisters will be bumped ahead of Kuzzy and Elena but I'm not sure it would change anything.She has a relatively good ranking already this year.She's in the top 8 seeds, so bumping her will not have a lot of consequences.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
bumping Venus may cause her to play Serena in the QF, so maybe it is better if she is lower. :P

wtatennisballer
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
She will win no matter what seed she is. No one will touch her on grass.

hacberto
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Venus 1 Serena 2 Maria 3 Ivanovic 4 Kuznetsova 5 Jankovic 6

I'd love this semis:

Venus vs Maria
Serena vs Ivanovic

pepaw
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM
1.Maria
2.Ivanovic
3.Jankovic
4.Kuznetsova
5.Dementieva
6.Serena
7.Chakvetadze
8.Venus

karimcartoon
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Top 16 seeds (if rankings are the same as they were last week)

[1] Maria Sharapova
[2] Ana Ivanovic
[3] Venus Williams
[4] Serena Williams
[5] Jelena Jankovic
[6] Svetlana Kuznetsova
[7] Marion Bartoli
[8] Elena Dementieva
[9] Anna Chakvetadze
[10] Daniela Hantuchova
[11] Patty Schnyder
[12] Vera Zvonareva
[13] Agnes Szavay
[14] Dinara Safina
[15] Agnieszka Radwanska
[16] Nicole Vaidisova

Notables: [23] Amelie Mauresmo [22] Lindsay Davenport

TSequoia01
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
bumping Venus may cause her to play Serena in the QF, so maybe it is better if she is lower. :P
My position exactly, leave Venus out of the top 4!

switz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
I think Venus has shown in the past that it really doesn't matter what her seeding is at Wimbledon. She's more likely to lose to nobody than a top player here because if she gets to the quarters she is only going to be stopped if she is off her game against an in form Serena or maybe Sharapova.

AcesHigh
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
They should bump Venus to #5. I think Jelena's, Sveta's, Ana's and Maria's records are too good over the last year to move them. However, she can jump over everyone else seeing as she's been the champion 2 of thet last 3 years.

serenus_2k8
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Venus should be top 4, as should Serena.

The Directors arent stupid and know the sisters hate to face eachother, so if they bump Vee, they should bumb Ree too as both deserve to make SF.

I think 1. Maria (they aint gonna move a past champ down) 2. Venus 3. Serena 4. Ana makes most sense but I doubt it will be that drastic.

In The Zone
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Venus should be 4. But then that would create a possible Williams Sister quarterfinal. Leave her where she is. I've changed my tune, I know. :lol:

Let Venus earn it.