PDA

View Full Version : RG 4r: (3) Jelena Jankovic def (14) Agnieszka Radwanska 6-3, 7-6 (3)

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Good job Jelena!

Jelena needs to be more mentally tough though. :o

was up 5-2, and had match points. Got time violation, inherited a lazy attitude, and lost 4 straight games in a row. :( But managed to pull it off in the tiebreak.

She slipped... I think it was partially due to her attitude. She was up until 5-2, playing really well though. Playing aggressive, stepping inside the court, taking a lot of early balls. If she plays like that, she'll have a chance against Ivanovic (or Schnyder/Srebotnik) if she can get past Suarez Navarro.

rada
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well done Jelena nice job :)

ha ha haters

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
:tape:

The Daviator
What a fight from Aga from 1-5 in the 2nd :worship:

Congrats JJ!

Dexter
Great comeback, Aga... too bad it was too late. :hug: Anyway good tournament, have some rest now girl! :hug:

Ricardo Sanchez (or whoever this twat is) was getting on my nerves. He's in Jurij Szarapow league almost. Coaching JJ on every possible opportunity. :rolleyes:
Either take some chill-pills before taking to the court or stay at home and watch it on TV.

Mikey B
nice to see radwanska turn up in the 2nd.. bit of a disapointing match, but both played well in the end... good luck in the quarters jj...

TTomek
so close Aga :sad:

but great fight in second :yeah:

from 1-5 to 6-5 :D

Jelena :D

mivco
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
wow omg... how can you all cheering for this unsportsmanlike b....?

LDF
Talk about stumbling over the finish line :o

Congrats JJ :worship:

Impressive fight from Agnieszka :yeah:

TennisFanForever
Jelena :dance: :woohoo:

you should make the semis easily now against Carla :D

but this 5-1 lead wasted in second set... :rolleyes: don't do it against Ana :scared:

Mikey.
Oh My gosh. :scared: I'm so glad she got through. :):worship: She looks absolutely drained. I hope she is more refreshed for the quarters.

Very well done aga. Great comeback :)

Emina.
Well done JJ :)
At least shes been tested against Aga and Domi :cool:

Tennis-Chick
Well done Jelena :)

Renalicious
Well Aga should've taken that 2nd set after such a strong comeback. But still, a good effort and well done Jelena.

piksi
When Jelena is up a set and 5:1 in the 2nd - that is the most dangerous result for her and my nerves. She could have had it so easy because she is so much better player but it isn't her style. Why easy when You can make it complicated.

M&M
i was really pissed with jelena and her coach...

Drimal
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM
What a thriller this was after comfortable 6:3 5:1 lead ... :scared:

But a win is a win and Jelena reached quarters :banana: :banana:

aguy9797
good job Aga, good job Jelena, and please less drama next time

cellophane
Mediocre match. How did Lena D lose to Radwanska last week? Jelena would get her ass kicked by Ivanovic with today's performance, assuming she doesn't lose next round.

meb
Aga great fight in the 2nd, but before that it was really bad performance :o
Congrats JJ

Hashim.
thank God:D:help:

:o

Wintermute
Jelena should have finished that much earlier. She's not looking like a title winner.

Kudos to Aga for hanging in there. I'm sure she can play better though. Particularly any time she came forward I don't think she executed her shots very well. But she took advantage of Jelena's unwillingness to impose herself and close it out. Could have easily been a third set.

DownTheLine21
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
LOL! Jankovic did deserve the time violation. She was taking an incredibly long time between points. However, it did throw off her rhythm. She needs to up her level in the next round. She has yet to impress me in this tournament. In her current state, Suarez Navarro could provide a challenge.

Shvedbarilescu
Nice fight back in the 2nd by Aga. That is all you can ask of your favourite players; that they fight until the last point. Aga did that and at the end it was a competitive match.

Well done Jelena. Three more matches to go. They certainly won't be easy, especially the last two but good luck. :yeah:

RenaSlam.
i was really pissed with jelena and her coach...

Can someone give us an account of the coaching pleas? What exactly was happening?

Elwin.
That 2nd set was :scared:

Jelena :yeah: QF now :D

young_gunner913
Great fight from Aga in the second but JJ held strong in the tb! :eek::worship:

Great match! :bounce:

Nikkiri
Jelena's coach :o

Nice try Aga :hug:

homogenius
Could have won it 6-3 6-1 or something like that but it's one more win in straights at the end.I just hope that she'll have enough energy to win the whole thing.She had tough opponents since the beginning but she's still here and she should beat Stepanek's sister in QF (even if she's playing well).
Keep going Jelena

justine schnyder
JJ :banana: :hug:
Congrats for winning! :)
Butn damn.. From 5-1* to *5-6.. Little chock, althoguh later Aga was playing really well again too.. :)

Aga :hug: :uhg: Nice fight!

mon72
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
congrats to JJ :)

Aga :hug:

nice tournament anyway, have some rest :),

spriwi
:hug: aga what a fight :yeah: incredible comeback, she just never gives up :D

pity she couldn't hold her nerves one more time in the TB :sad:

ElusiveChanteuse
JJ :unsure: but :banana:
Aga :sad: :hug:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Mediocre match. How did Lena D lose to Radwanska last week? Jelena would get her ass kicked by Ivanovic with today's performance, assuming she doesn't lose next round.

Because Elena is not consistent :o

hayleytrotter
she blew those first MPs but good job anyway. But take less time between points or your gonna be defaulted!! eek!

mckyle.
God that was so frustrating Aga.

For someone who is known for such variety, she didn't really show it at all during the match.

I honestly don't know what her father told her while preparing for the match yesterday and this morning.

Ball bashing, unless you are extremely consistent like Sharapova, does not work against Jelena Jankovic. It just doesn't. You have to do something extra. Bring her in, then hit past her; slice it; whatever. Just bring something different.

Aga's ball-bashing worked sometimes in the match, and Jelena's choke job didn't hurt either. But at the end of the day, Aga couldn't get the ball past Jelena and she was having to fight so hard to win every point. If she would have came to the match with a different strategy, the result could have been very different.

ce
Great comeback, Aga... too bad it was too late. :hug: Anyway good tournament, have some rest now girl! :hug:

Ricardo Sanchez (or whoever this twat is) was getting on my nerves. He's in Jurij Szarapow league almost. Coaching JJ on every possible opportunity. :rolleyes:
Either take some chill-pills before taking to the court or stay at home and watch it on TV.

get a life :wavey:

SOA_MC
Aga:bigcry:

Congrats Jelena:ras:

spriwi
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Can someone give us an account of the coaching pleas? What exactly was happening?

coaching 24/7

ce
:woohoo:

cellophane
Because Elena is not consistent :o

It's embarrassing for her.

papru
:sobbing:
I feel so sorry for Aga now :( Id rather she had lost 36 26 that like that... after such an awesome comeback to lose in the tb might be really demotivating :sad: :sad: :sad: too bad she couldnt hold her serve till 36 15 :lol:

Jeca :woohoo: now no other way then to take the title!!!!!!

kfh_9118
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Aga :sad: after that fight back and lost like that in the TB :(

well done Jelena :yeah:

rada
Jelena worked hard in the end but it's a very good win :)

A'DAM
Sadly Aga didnt make it in the 2nd would be nice to see a third set ;)

spriwi

come on, i like jj but was faaaar from pleased with his behaviour :o

Kabomba
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
what coaching are you talking about? He was jelling "vamos" all the time,and taking notes,but I haven't seen any coaching :confused:

jonny84
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Did not watch it, but get the sense that this match was weird.
Jelena into quarters! :yeah:

DownTheLine21
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM

It was a little excessive and ridiculous.

Dexter
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
what coaching are you talking about? He was jelling "vamos" all the time,and taking notes,but I haven't seen any coaching :confused:And she got warning for what? :tape: Just as at AO. She was being coached.

Emina.
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:43 PM
You haters need to relax! :cool:

cellophane
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:43 PM
And she got warning for what? :tape: Just as at AO. She was being coached.

For taking too much time.

Backhand_stille
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Congratulation!!

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Aga beat herself, plain & simple. I won't even expound, anyone who watched the match should agree.

I don't know what the issue is with JJ's coach, other than he was standing up a lot and probably yelling...but if anyone has PROOF that he was coaching her rather than cheering, please provide it.

Nikkiri
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Shouting out "Come On JJ" doesn't specify coaching in my book. Maybe Jelena needs some extra squeaky trainers to get her through the next round.

Anyways great fightback from Aga in the second.

Not convincing from JJ. She needs to up her level - and she will.

What would be the point? this is clay. :wavey: He was talking about her coach not her so no need to bring his fave player into it.

Btw congrats to JJ. Serbian SF should be exciting :drool: hopefully it will happen.

rada
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
He was fine!!!!

Mikey.
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
What would be the point? this is clay. :wavey: He was talking about her coach not her so no need to bring his fave player into it.

Btw congrats to JJ. Serbian SF should be exciting :drool: hopefully it will happen.

:drool::lick::cool:

fufuqifuqishahah

She got warned for taking too much time to blow her nose :lol:

--

yah, Sanchez was a little Yuri like, but I didn't see any coaching...

Jelena's attitude can be so frustrating sometimes though :o

DownTheLine21
Aga beat herself, plain & simple. I won't even expound, anyone who watched the match should agree.

I don't know what the issue is with JJ's coach, other than he was standing up a lot and probably yelling...but if anyone has PROOF that he was coaching her rather than cheering, please provide it.

I agree. She really came into the match with the wrong game plan. Jankovic is at home running down those deep (but not powerful) groundstrokes. She needed to implement better variety (spins, volleys, etc.). She is also known for consistency, but that really wasn't working either. It's too bad that neither were playing well at the same time.

incognito

She got a time violation warning, not a coaching violation warning. There was absolutely no coaching whatsoever, yes her coach stood up and cheered during some crucial points but that's not coaching...

JackFrost
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Aga :sad: after that fight back and lost like that in the TB :(

well done Jelena :yeah:
Well done? My ass. She is leading 5:1 and nearly loses the set in the tie-break. I have already seen Radwanska winning the second set with 7:5 and the third 6:3. :rolleyes:
Jelena will never ever win a grand slam tournament with this choking. Ivanovic will demolish her in the semis, if she gets there. :help:

Cp6uja
before 6-3 5-2 *40-15 Jelena played like real claycourt champion... but again have one of her famouos downs. Atleast she regroup in TB b/c with all that injuries i'm very scared for her in eventual 3rd set. Good things is that today she played her best match here so perhaps things with her right hand is now better, not worse.

BTW two weeks before Paris Jelena won Rome and week before RG Agneszka won Istanbul... and today in 4th round match both right-handed played with big bandage at their right hand. It must be good school for both for future :p

kolan
well done to jj. agajust simply didnt have the game today to beat her. i hope she does well in the grass court season.

i will be there to cheer her on in birmingham :yeah:

i didnt think jj's coach was that bad :shrug: her time wasting was a little :o she was just the better player in this match

muniu
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Aga :sad: I hope you'll withdraw from Birmingham :o rest up !! :D

spriwi
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Aga :sad: I hope you'll withdraw from Birmingham :o rest up !! :D

she won't. papa r. is far too greedy to do so :o

anyways, she has a week or so now

spriwi
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
well the spanish comentator in my livestream said she got both warnings: 1st for time violation then 2nd for coaching so dunno :confused:

homogenius
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
well the spanish comentator in my livestream said she got both warnings: 1st for time violation then 2nd for coaching so dunno :confused:

Why would have Jelena needed some coaching, Aga played nearly always the same all match with few if not any variety ?

eagles07
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Well done Jelena

scoobsuk
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Sloppy second set, Jelena, from 5-2 up. Should have put the hammer down and instead just pitched tent at the back of the court and let Radwanska come all the way back.

She needs to step it up from this point on - Ivanovic would never let her get away with that in the semis should they meet.

denine
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
keep going jj!:D

Kampi
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
First, I cannot see a problem with Ricardo. If I were in the same situation I would do the same, maybe even louder,:lol: because she was driving me crazy in second.:fiery: Coming to the match, well, once again it was a fine example to let a dangerous player like Radwanska back in the match. It reminded me of the "old" times with Jelena. Giving away big leads and losing the whole thing in the end. But there is a difference nowadays and despite the fact that she didn't play well after her massive lead, it is noticeable, that today's Jelena wins those matches in the end. But of course and you can really believe me, I would prefer to see her win MUCH easier.:help: Oh god, I screamed and yelled like a madman.:o But sometimes, you need those matches to achieve a much higher goal.:angel:

Anyway, congrats for our girl.:worship::kiss::worship:

GO JJ:bounce:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM

if she got a 2nd warning, she would have got a point deduction....

©@®eLess
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:03 PM

it's just some angry henin fan who misses Justine fist sex with Carlos Rodriguez so they kind go over the the top when they see even something resembling it. God only knows how they must hate Ivanovic then! :lol:

terjw
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:03 PM
OMG - I nearly died. Thank God Jelena stumbled over the line in the end.

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
if she got a 2nd warning, she would have got a point deduction....

But the Spanish commentators said so, so it must be true :shrug:

Nikkiri
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
You haters need to relax! :cool:

Where are they all? :confused:

AndreConrad
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Good fight from both, congrats Jelena :yeah:

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Where are they all? :confused: If anyone needs to relax it's her fans, it's okay she won!

If I said that Ana was being coached today without any proof, wouldn't you be upset?

cellophane
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Ivanovic will demolish her in the semis, if she gets there. :help:

Unfortunately, I think you are right. :help:

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM

The explanation is easier than you think: in Istanbul Agnieszka was playing very well against Lena.

Today, unfortunately, she started as a shadow of her usual self. Literally everything was going wrong for her while Janković was making few errors. That situation lasted until it was 3:6 1:5.

What she did later was on the other hand at times quite marvellous. She won 5 consecutive games and it wasn't because Janković choked. It was Agnieszka who finally began playing great tennis.

Unfortunately, in the tie break she lost her concentration. Otherwise we would have had a third set and everything could be possible.

Sadly, Janković and her coach indulged in some unsportsmanlike behavior in the second set. They should not be doing that, or Janković is going to earn bad reputation. Taking random long breaks during matches is fast becoming her habit (Berlin, Rome, today).

Nikkiri
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
If I said that Ana was being coached today without any proof, wouldn't you be upset?

I edited my post anyways. But no i wouldn't care so much as to bring other peoples fave players into it or call them "haters".

Ellery
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Jelena :hearts: Well done.

MagicMilan
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:17 PM
That's crap Dex! What coaching at AO are you talking about? If you had seen the match, you would have known that she got a warning cause her mother told her "C'mon honey" :shrug: Yeah, real coaching. As you're a fan of Justine, I can't believe you're having double standards. Carlos was saying c'mon almost after every point. But her mom saying that is obviously coaching...

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:19 PM
When Jelena is up a set and 5:1 in the 2nd - that is the most dangerous result for her and my nerves. She could have had it so easy because she is so much better player but it isn't her style. Why easy when You can make it complicated.

Do you ever indulge a thought that it was rather her opponent who might have lifted her game? I strongly suggest that you do in the future...

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
I edited my post anyways. But no i wouldn't care so much as to bring other peoples fave players into it or call them "haters".

If you're talking about me, I just wanted to know how you'd react if it was your fave. If it's something else stated in this thread by someone other than Laura. or I, then I would agree.

I don't really see an issue with calling people haters who seem to get great joy in perpetrating unsubstantiated rumors because they do, indeed, hate the player.

StZox
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
The Queen of Choke still managed to finish the job in straight sets, though I was sure she would lose the second set (and eventually the match) like so many times before in the past when she was in the lead.

WIN THE TITLE!!!

Aga, your time will come

DownTheLine21
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
If you're talking about me, I just wanted to know how you'd react if it was your fave. If it's something else stated in this thread by someone other than Laura. or I, then I would agree.

I don't really see an issue with calling people haters who seem to get great joy in perpetrating unsubstantiated rumors because they do, indeed, hate the player.

I think the coaching comments stem from the fact that JJ's coach was extremely active and nervous. Even the commentators were suggesting that he was coaching her from the back of the court. Also, at one time, they tried to decipher what they believed were hand signals.

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
God that was so frustrating Aga.

For someone who is known for such variety, she didn't really show it at all during the match.

I honestly don't know what her father told her while preparing for the match yesterday and this morning.

Ball bashing, unless you are extremely consistent like Sharapova, does not work against Jelena Jankovic. It just doesn't. You have to do something extra. Bring her in, then hit past her; slice it; whatever. Just bring something different.

Aga's ball-bashing worked sometimes in the match, and Jelena's choke job didn't hurt either. But at the end of the day, Aga couldn't get the ball past Jelena and she was having to fight so hard to win every point. If she would have came to the match with a different strategy, the result could have been very different.

Very good analysis.

spriwi
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Why would have Jelena needed some coaching, Aga played nearly always the same all match with few if not any variety ?

maybe to stop trying to hit winners, losing the set on her own choice and to come back to 'wait until aga makes an error' strategy?

her game fell apart there, she certainly needed some advice :wavey:

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
I think the coaching comments stem from the fact that JJ's coach was extremely active and nervous. Even the commentators were suggesting that he was coaching her from the back of the court. Also, at one time, they tried to decipher what they believed were hand signals.

He's an extremely active and nervous coach, though I'm not sure that necessarily means anything. But OK that makes a little more sense at least...no one seemed to offer up this info before other than he was near her in the backcourt. The TTC broadcast made no notice or mention of this, just the time violation.

DownTheLine21
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
He's an extremely active and nervous coach, though I'm not sure that necessarily means anything. But OK that makes a little more sense at least...no one seemed to offer up this info before other than he was near her in the backcourt. The TTC broadcast made no notice or mention of this, just the time violation.

I really don't think he was coaching her, though. Maybe he has in the past, but, to me, everything looked legitimate (or at least within the limits of what's been allowed before).

spriwi
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
But the Spanish commentators said so, so it must be true :shrug:

it's enough to believe it for me. i ve been learning spanish for a year only, but i m pretty sure i got it right. they even said that is it happens again the consequence will be point deduction and then losing the game.

Dexter
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think the coaching comments stem from the fact that JJ's coach was extremely active and nervous. Even the commentators were suggesting that he was coaching her from the back of the court. Also, at one time, they tried to decipher what they believed were hand signals.Exactly. From my little knowledge of Spanish I got that commentators were talking about coaching. I doubt 'coaching' in Spanish, doesn't mean 'coaching'. Then there was this Sanchez behaving as if somebody set his house on fire (I would too, but since he's a coach he should know better). 2+2 usually is 4. There you go.
I apologize to JJ fans for my allegations since they all feel soo upset, with special mention to Bruno. However I still think this was not a fair behaviour. FIN from my side. :wavey:

Nikkiri
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM

This thread and the other one Ana was mentioned for no reason other than the poster they were replying too was an Ana fan.

I just don't see any posts in this thread which would make them a "hater" but maybe that's just me since I'm used to a lot more negative posts about my fave. I really didn't mean to cause trouble with you and i apologize, congrats to JJ. Btw i found her coach irritating but I don't think he was coaching her. :)

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
I really don't think he was coaching her, though. Maybe he has in the past, but, to me, everything looked legitimate (or at least within the limits of what's been allowed before).

If the claims were hand signals, I'd guess he wouldn't position himself so near her...despite being "blind as a bat," I think they'd wanna be a little less obvious about it. If he were yelling stuff to her, I'd think Welch would give her a violation, since she was willing to give her a (well-deserved) time violation.

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
:sobbing:
I feel so sorry for Aga now :( Id rather she had lost 36 26 that like that... after such an awesome comeback to lose in the tb might be really demotivating :sad: :sad: :sad: too bad she couldnt hold her serve till 36 15 :lol:

I have a different opinion: the awareness of how well she was able to fight in the second set, in face of all the bad luck she was suffering up to that point can only make her stronger.

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Carla has to beat her :awww:

My kiss of death nearly worked - it would have if Aga won that second.

Next time :devil:

Piotr'ek
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Aga could pull it off even it two sets :o

She played too much at one pace, too clear for JJ and her first serve was sooo off today :( Both player were clearly far from their top shapes.

aguy9797
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
I have a different opinion: the awareness of how she was able to fight in the second set, in face of all the bad luck she was suffering up to that point can only make her stronger.

I agree with you, it definetely was one of those learing moments for Aga, pity, Aga played so defensively in the first set, she would have harmed Jelena more, if she tried to go for a little bit more, and didn't stay that far behind the baseline

anyway, Aga, bring it on on GRASS!!:drool:

Ian Aberdon
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
No issues with Mods having favourites & saying so. Completely different issue where a Mod actually HATES a player & says so. Sorry, if you have taken on the mantle of being a Mod, a supposed POSITION OF AUTHORITY, even on these forums, then keep your hating views to yourself.

Dex you have gone down in my estimation, but I'm sure you'll....get over it :bigwave:

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Laura.
You haters need to relax!
Where are they all? :confused:

The individual whose nick is Laura is a habitual hater himself, and the only one in this thread as far as I can see.

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:01 PM
Jelena worked hard in the end but it's a very good win :)

Jelena worked hard all the way through the match not just in the end.

Kabomba
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Exactly. From my little knowledge of Spanish I got that commentators were talking about coaching. I doubt 'coaching' in Spanish, doesn't mean 'coaching'. Then there was this Sanchez behaving as if somebody set his house on fire (I would too, but since he's a coach he should know better). 2+2 usually is 4. There you go.
I apologize to JJ fans for my allegations since they all feel soo upset, with special mention to Bruno. However I still think this was not a fair behaviour. FIN from my side. :wavey:

If someone says it,doesn't mean it's right.She got time violation warning for sure,not for coaching.And she didn't get two warnings,because thet would be a point lost...she didn't lose a point that way

Cat123
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Jelena, what the sodding hell was that 2nd set?! You were up 5-1!!

You better not lose to a qualifier in the quarters chick, or I'll hunt you down! :lol:

Rerun
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:08 PM
sad day

bellascarlett
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Jelena :lol: :yeah:

Tennis90
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Congrats JJ!!!But you really got your fans worried at the end of the 2nd set!!!

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Here are the interviews of Jankovic and Radwanska :D

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5563/69473497jj4.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mnke_untitled0005_sport

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4347/34643520ms9.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mnyw_untitled0006_sport

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Aga great fight in the 2nd, but before that it was really bad performance :o

Unfortunately, true...

Emina.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
The individual whose nick is Laura is a habitual hater himself, and the only one in this thread as far as I can see.

sure! thats my job :hehehe:
you know me so well, i'm impressed :smoke:

Next: Suarez-Navarro :yeah:

TennisPlayingFox
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
nice job Jelena! Good luck in the quarters!

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
Jelena looks hot in that pic!!

best i have seen her look :hearts:

V-MAC
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
woohoo well done Jelena. On course for that semi showdown with Ana where you will destroy her ;)

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM

Can we ask some Polish speaking members to post a translation of Agnieszka's interview?

SOA_MC
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Can we ask some Polish speaking members to post a translation of Agnieszka's interview?

She was speaking English

Marcelo.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yes !!:bounce:Keep going JJ

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
She was speaking English

Wrong. Most of the questions were in Polish and she was replying accordingly, in Polish.

SOA_MC
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Wrong. Most of the questions were in Polish and she was replying accordingly, in Polish.

I replied after only watching the first 2 minutes of the conference:o

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM

She's talking about her injury mostly. That she wasn't able to play volleys because of the pain. And about some points that she couldn't normally hit due to the injury :shrug: Um what else? She says that she will play doubles less now because her doubles match is the probable reason of her injury, she just played too much tennis on one day. She expects the pain to go away in a couple of days. That's mostly it :)

AndreConrad
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM
I will translate more but despite the length of the Polish portion they focused on two items:
1. The injury: Agnieszka said that the pain kept preventing her from hitting finishing balls when she had to grip the racket harder; it supposedly even hurts her when she brushes her teeth
2. The decision that she will not play doubles at least for a while (an excellent decision in my oppinion); she got injured during the last lengthy doubles match, finally her dad learned the lesson.

дalex
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Good job in the end, JJ! :banana:
Aga did well to come back in the second set. She played really well at that time even if JJ was rather passive. She did well. :hug:

Coach Sanchez :worship:!

spriwi
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM

ok let me do it: (cutting the long story short)
- aga's shoulder is hurting badly, that's why she couldnt play volley nor hit forehand at full pace, she says she was playing at 80% due to those shoulder problems,
- she stresses that they both had some injury problems and that's why the match rythm was so slow (when they were playing previously it was a whole lot faster, als due to carpet surface), they were pushing the ball to the other side of the net most of the time,
- aga didnt want to comment on what ljubicic said that it is probable she would have won the match had she won this tiebreak
- aga hopes the injuty will dissapear after the week of break
- aga's father said they won't play doubles for a while, that's the lesson for him :o

guess that's the essential content of polish questions...

Martian KC
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Too bad they had to meet this early. Congrats Jelena! :D Aga :sad:

spiritedenergy
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
congrats JJ:bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
That was a biggie to get through;). Agie was playing very well :bounce:.

Langers
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Aga. :sad: :hug:

Wasn't a typical performance from her. She made some out of character errors and had she been 100% fit the result would have been different. So many times she got into great positions to finish off the point whether it be at net or with her groundies but she failed to put it away. Some of those shots while down MP though! :yeah:

Gutsy to come back from trailing 5-2 and she had that massive chance at 15-15 with Jankovic serving at 5*-6.

Aga you are a tremendous talent and I believe you'll win a Slam one day. You're only 19 and have such huge potential. Keep it at, get fit and let everyone see what you're capable of. Quite comfortably my second favourite player.

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Actually, I was able to get a translation of the interview.

The interview is very revealing indeed.

Here are the main points:

She said that playing for 5 hours two days ago (after beating Cornet she spent 3 hours playing the doubles) caused a very painful inflammation of her right hand. So painful that yesterday in a conversation with her sister they were considering that she may not finish the match if pain were too much to bear.

When asked why she didn't come to the net, she answered that that was a deliberate decision as she could not volley (we certainly saw that!), and she added that she neither could execute finishing shots because of extra power needed. This greatly affected her strategy today.

When asked how painful her injury was, her answer was that one of the most painful in her life. Doing anything with her right hand was painful: using a toothbrush, opening a door.

When asked how much power she was putting into her shots
compared to her usual, she ansered after some hesitation, 70 to 80%.

When she was told that Ljubicić who was present at her match with Janković, said that she would have won the 3rd set if the tie break ended differently, she answered that one could always say 'if', and added that Janković would not give up and would fight.

She also said that her father decided that playing doubles with her sister was a big mistake, and that they are changing this for the foreseeable future.

I therefore must admit I was very wrong criticizing Agnieszka earlier. I take my criticisms back.

What looked to many observers as an inexplicable and totally uncharacteristic behavior (lack of variety, not coming to the net, very few, and rather lame volleys, a surprisingly large number of missed shots, etc.), was not accidental but the result of deliberate choices forced upon Agnieszka by the injury.

In the light of this, what she managed to accomplish in the second set was quite heroic.

But even if she won the tie break and then the third set, as many commentators thought could have easily happened, it is quite likely she would not have been able to play the following matches.

One moral that I like to remind myself often: don't pass hasty judgements...

P.S. Thank you to all who responded offering the translation.

spiritedenergy
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM

It is very revealing.

I therefore must admit I was very wrong criticizing Agnieszka earlier. I take my criticisms back. What looked for many of the observers as inexplicable (lack of variety, not coming to the net, very few, and rather lame volleys, a surprisingly large number of missed shots, etc.), was not accidental but the result of deliberate choices forced upon Agnieszka by the injury.

In the light of this, it was quite heroic what she has accomplished in the second set.

But even if she won the tie break and the third set, as many commentators thought could have easily happened, it is quite likely she would not be able to play the following matches.

Agnieszka:(:hug:

Optima
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Just one match at a time Jelena, congrats. Can't believe you blew a 5-1 lead though. At least she's winning these tiebreaks though.

tterb
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM

I therefore must admit I was very wrong criticizing Agnieszka earlier. I take my criticisms back.

What looked to many observers as inexplicable and totally uncharacteristic (lack of variety, not coming to the net, very few, and rather lame volleys, a surprisingly large number of missed shots, etc.), was not accidental but the result of deliberate choices forced upon Agnieszka by the injury.

In the light of this, it was quite heroic what she managed to accomplish in the second set.

But even if she won the tie break and the third set, as many commentators thought could have easily happened, it is quite likely she would not be able to play the following matches.

Thanks for the full translation.
Too bad Aga wasn't at full capability, but hopefully she'll have her chances in the future.
Congrats, Jelena!

cocco80
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:49 PM
I knew that I would be very happy for whoever goes through and at the same time so sad for the other.
JJ so happy for you !!! :)

Aga so sad for you!!! :sad:

Both of the girls were great and it was full of drama (at least for me, pulling for both at the same time)

JJ :yeah:

It's oh so bittersweet...

Il Primo!
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Great for JJ. Too bad to see Aga out so soon though :o

Steff_forever
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
I never thought JJ could get through after blowing mps... :scared:
It seems she needs thrilling happy ends.

Best of luck against Carla, you'll need it

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM

What looked to many observers as inexplicable and totally uncharacteristic behavior (lack of variety, not coming to the net, very few, and rather lame volleys, a surprisingly large number of missed shots, etc.), was not accidental but the result of deliberate choices forced upon Agnieszka by the injury.

In the light of this, it was quite heroic what she managed to accomplish in the second set.

But even if she won the tie break and the third set, as many commentators thought could have easily happened, it is quite likely she would not have been able to play the following matches.

P.S. Thank you to all who responded offering the translation.

That's a real shame Aga couldn't play her game as she liked. I really hope she recovers in time for the grass season. :awww:

Lucas_Arg
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Is Jelena going to pull out or something?
She played like crap in the second set., she is ill and injured!

Julian
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:29 PM
yay Jelena!!
I wish these 2 didnt have to meet but anyway hope Aga feels better soon!

SOA_MC
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Is Jelena going to pull out or something?
She played like crap in the second set., she is ill and injured!

She's always ill and injured

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane
Because Elena is not consistent

The real answer is rather different:

In Istanbul against Dementieva, and two days ago against Cornet, Radwańska was playing with finesse and variety while against Janković she was playing injured and her totally uncharacteristic behavior today was the result of deliberate choices forced upon her by the injury.

Optima
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
She's always ill and injured

You act like she's faking it - She's been blowing her nose for weeks now and I'm sure she's tricking everyone with that arm wrap ;)

Filippo-Nastya
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Well done JJ but you should have won 6-2 the 2nd set :smash:
Good luck in the QF ;)

SOA_MC
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
You act like she's faking it - She's been blowing her nose for weeks now and I'm sure she's tricking everyone with that arm wrap ;)

I actually think she is a little beat up this time but she says she's injuried after every bloody match:rolleyes: It reminds me of the boy who cried wolf sometimes you can't always take her word for it

Just Do It
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Jelena :yeah: It should have been 6-3 6-2 though.

spriwi
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
ok to all jj fans:

there was no coaching violation warning. just saw it again @ eurosport.

sorry for the false allegations. :wavey:

AndreConrad
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
ok to all jj fans: there was no coaching violation warning. just saw it again @ eurosport. sorry for the false allegations. :wavey:

Spriwi, you are a man (woman?) of honor :hatoff:

*Jean*
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ajde Janka, solid match :D

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I actually think she is a little beat up this time but she says she's injuried after every bloody match:rolleyes: It reminds me of the boy who cried wolf sometimes you can't always take her word for it

Admittedly bringing it up after every match is just plain getting tiresome if it's her chronic condition, but my theory is that JJ has all these chronic problems due to overplaying. So if people want to ascribe it to her as her own damned fault ultimately, I'd agree with that.

The injury timeouts are getting to be too much for me as well, even though a few of them were unavoidable (like the forearm).

Dexter
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
ok to all jj fans:

sorry for the false allegations. :wavey:Yep, bad call from us and Spanish commentators. I apologize once again. :wavey:

Coffee&TV
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
JJ :yeah:

sharapovarulz1
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Well done Jelena! Great comeback though Aga :D

gaja kesari
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:18 PM

You were really turning things around in the second set. I felt for you after the tiebreak, just didn't seem fair. I hope the injury you talked about during the interview heals up really fast.

Congratulations Jelena on pulling through at the end.

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
I got Bad Reputation from the individual with nickname schorsch, my first ever.

I noticed a number of people in other threads complain about being bad repped by him. Maybe we should have a thread called Have you been bad repped by schorsch?

homogenius
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
ok to all jj fans:

sorry for the false allegations. :wavey:

:wavey:

schorsch
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
I got Bad Reputation from the individual with nickname schorsch, my first ever.

I noticed a number of people in other threads complain about being bad repped by him. Maybe we should have a thread called Have you been bad repped by schorsch?

omg, was it too soon for you ? i didnt wanna take your badrep virginity by force :sad: :sad: :sad:

VeeJJ
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Okay JJ, i toughd it out through this one. U need to get ur shit together NOW!!!!! if u wanna win this title, no more half ass tennis!!!! lets go!!!!!

Malva
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
omg, was it too soon for you ? i didnt wanna take your badrep virginity by force :sad: :sad: :sad:

You are going around bad repping people. Look first at your very often disrespectful disgusting posts.

schorsch
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Oh poor thing :sad::baby:

Bruno71
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
You are going around bad repping people. Look first at your very often disrespectful disgusting posts.

Regardless of what schorsch regularly posts, you made some unfounded accusations about Jelena, so the bad rep you received was no major crime. Maybe you should respectfully consider what you write before getting all up in arms about taking the consequences.

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Regardless of what schorsch regularly posts, you made some unfounded accusations about Jelena, so the bad rep you received was no major crime. Maybe you should respectfully consider what you write before getting all up in arms about taking the consequences.

I did not make unfounded accusations about Jelena. And I always carefully consider what I write before posting.

I was entirely entitled to make a comment about her taking long breaks in her matches becoming now a habit. It is now occuring with a depressing regularity. I do not consider this to be sportsmanlike behavior. There was nothing disrespectful to her in what I said either.

Pasta-Na
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
jj :D

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I did not make unfounded accusations about Jelena. And I always carefully consider what I write before posting.

I was entirely entitled to make a comment about her taking long breaks in her matches becoming now a habit. It is now occuring with a depressing regularity. I do not consider this to be sportsmanlike behavior. There was nothing disrespectful to her in what I said either.

You implied there was coaching. That is still unsubstantiated and mere hearsay.

Wtatennis212
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Jelena hasn't played that much this year compared to last year. Having a straight set win over an in for Radwanska is a good result. Analysis (http://protennisfans.blogspot.com)

Emina.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:17 AM

oh yes..you're so nice and we're so mean! it's not fair...poor Malva :awww:

AndreConrad
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Would you guys get off of Malva's back. He certainly has strong opinions with which you may or may not agree, however I cannot find disrespect in any of his statements. Feel free to argue with his opinions, but attacking him personally doesn’t feel right, does it?

spiritedenergy
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Jelena hasn't played that much this year compared to last year. Having a straight set win over an in for Radwanska is a good result. Analysis (http://protennisfans.blogspot.com)

please stop advertising your boring blog. It's pathetic:tape:

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
You implied there was coaching. That is still unsubstantiated and mere hearsay.

It is you who said coaching. I did not.

On the other hand, I clearly saw Jelena's coach yelling and gesticulating when Janković was in danger of loosing the 2nd set. Who you think he was gesticulating to? (The player is supposed to be entirely on her own during the match.)

I just noted this in my post, I didn't go any further than that.

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
It is you who said coaching. I did not.

On the other hand, I clearly saw Jelena's coach yelling and gesticulating when Janković was in danger of loosing the 2nd set. Who you think he was gesticulating to? (The player is supposed to be entirely on her own during the match.)

I just noted this in my post, I didn't go any further than that.

The explanation is easier than you think: in Istanbul Agnieszka was playing very well against Lena.

Today, unfortunately, she started as a shadow of her usual self. Literally everything was going wrong for her while Janković was making few errors. That situation lasted until it was 3:6 1:5.

What she did later was on the other hand at times quite marvellous. She won 5 consecutive games and it wasn't because Janković choked. It was Agnieszka who finally began playing great tennis.

Unfortunately, in the tie break she lost her concentration. Otherwise we would have had a third set and everything could be possible.

Sadly, Janković and her coach indulged in some unsportsmanlike behavior in the second set. They should not be doing that, or Janković is going to earn bad reputation. Taking random long breaks during matches is fast becoming her habit (Berlin, Rome, today).

That is a clear implication that JJ was either being coached by Ricardo, or he was doing something else wrong. You saw him yelling and gesticulating...what exactly did he say? What did his gesticulations mean? What else did he do to make you make such a claim? Have you or anyone else substantiated that he was doing anything improper (i.e. coaching)?

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
You saw him yelling and gesticulating...what exactly did he say? What did his gesticulations mean? What else did he do to make you make such a claim? Have you or anyone else substantiated that he was doing anything improper (i.e. coaching)?

That's getting ridiculous... I said enough in my previous two posts.

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
That's getting ridiculous...

No, it's not at all ridiculous. If you can't say how he coached her, then your claim of coaching is unsubstantiated. That's fine, but you shouldn't be shocked at a bad rep for it.

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
I repeat: I clearly saw Jelena's coach yelling and gesticulating when Janković was in danger of loosing the 2nd set.

That's enough to be entitled to the comment I made in my early post.

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
I repeat: I clearly saw Jelena's coach yelling and gesticulating when Janković was in danger of loosing the 2nd set.

And it's enough for you to be entitled to a bad rep if you can't substantiate whether or not it was actually coaching or just Sanchez being into the match. Seriously, you're not getting this.

Malva
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
No, I am not getting it, as you are saying.

oleada
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
How cute, they have matching arm bandages!:angel:
I almost killed Jelena when she got broken serving for the set twice. :o She likes giving her fans heart attacks.

Just Do It
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM

Oh well, like it helped her a lot. She would win with or without it anyway.