PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best serve motion in WTA?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Does anyone know?

Adal
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM
No idea

Chunchun
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
must be one of the Serra Zanetti sisters :hearts:

starin
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM
prolly Marion Bartoli

Watching
Serena duh

fufuqifuqishahah
Serena McWilliams

Miss Amor
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM
serena..its so simple yet so powerful

Thanx4nothin
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM
Serena....duh

tennisbear7
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Serena Williams.

Lindsay Davenport.

Ana Ivanovic.

In that order.

rhz
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Serena, Molik, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Ivanovia to name a few!

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
No competition - Serena. (Technically)

You just need to listen to most commentators cumming on the microphone talking about it :rolls:

Especially our ES commentator :scared:

If we are looking for laughs - Bartoli :lol:

Petkorazzi
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ahsha Rolle. Not worth even a small discussion.

Thanx4nothin
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Serena, Molik, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Ivanovia to name a few!

No, and no, especially the tosses, which I include in the motion.

Adal
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM
I liked Vaidisova's serve motion in 2006

starin
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
Serena, Davenport, Vaidisova

Viktymise
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
I liked Vaidisova's serve motion in 2006

Ditto. I still think it's one of the best, even abbrieviated.

Mikey.
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Alicia :hearts:

LDF
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Serena

serenus_2k8
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Serena! Its simple, reliable and deivers better than anyone. Plus she can get placement and power to mix things up.

Donatello
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM
besides Serena, Sharapova.... Cornet, Molik, Pin especially Cornet her motion is smooth as Sereenas'.

Carsten
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Alicia Molik

Dave.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Davenport and Serena. There are other good ones but nobody is in their league.

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
S. Williams

Emina.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Serena

hayleytrotter
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Even though its weak, im seriously like, entranced every time i see alize cornet serve. No idea why, her motion is just really pretty ha ha.

lympyisthebest
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Davenport

Sharapowerr
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Sharapova

Polikarpov
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Serena and Lindsay

Sean.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
OK, i'm actually going to say Jelena.

Her serve is no way near the best but technically her motion is close to perfect. But she just doesn't reach up to the ball that is all.

Before you shout me down, find a video of her serving and watch it a few times, her motion reproduction is very good - that is how she is able to achieve such consistancy.

Rerun
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
must be one of the Serra Zanetti sisters :hearts:

:rolls:

Slutati
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Golovin, it's just beautiful:hearts::worship:

Willam
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Serena, Vaidisova and i personally like Venus :shrug:

InsideOut.
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
OK, i'm actually going to say Jelena.

Her serve is no way near the best but technically her motion is close to perfect. But she just doesn't reach up to the ball that is all.

Before you shout me down, find a video of her serving and watch it a few times, her motion reproduction is very good - that is how she is able to achieve such consistancy.

I agree. Jelena's motion is perfect but all she lacks is the power and the ability to mix it up. And of course, to reach up to the ball. And the confidence.

Serena's though is perfect, with the power, spins, placement, and so solid and consistent. Her toss is perfect.

Bar the toss Ana's serve motion is perfect. She's working on the spins and slices.

Sharapova's toss is way too high and her service motion takes a toll on her shoulder. Which doesn't make it perfect, but it's effective when on.

Vaidisova's motion is great but her placement isn't great and she goes for way too many 2nd serves.

Hantuchova's one is good too actually.

And of course Davenport's.

Conor
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Patty's for me :)

Cakeisgood
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
1) Serena
2) Sharapova (would be better with a slightly lower toss)
3) Vaidisova
4) Ivanovic

Ksenia.
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
I love Davenport's motion :hearts:

Optima
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Serena and Vaidisova.

celia
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Serena and Vaidisova have amazing serve motions. I especially like Nicole's.

Sharapova's and Ivanovic's serves were both better before, in 2006 for Maria and last year for Ana...

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Serena. She has the best serve. The motion is just so technically sound-from her toss to her timing to use of her legs. She is one of the few WTA players who never has "the service yips". Sure, every player has a bad match or 2 when he/she double faults a lot, but in general, Serena doesn't experience the same problems as other big servers do when they get nervous. For example, Ivanovic has trouble with her ball toss, Venus has trouble keeping her head in the right position on the follow through, Sharapova has toss troubles too...

Il Primo!
Serena and Nicole

justine schnyder
I like Patty's .. It's really fluent

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM
oh I forgot Vaidisova's is high on the list too.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Serena, it's the least complicated yet the most effective. Kuzzie's serve is really smooth as well she's highly underrated in that area.

The Daviator
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
LD's and SW's.

Wtatennis212
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
Whoever wrote the serra zanetti sisters i assume you were joking. They have the worst serve motions. Antonella serves like 40 mph. I think Ivanovic's is nice when she isn't nervous like in the French Open Finals last year. Serena has a great serve too.

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
it's so sad that Venus was only mentioned once, i love her serve and she has the fastest serve speed, her serve puts so much wrist into and so much snap.:hearts:

spiritedenergy
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Serena and Davenport. They are just perfectly smooth. Ana's looks weird due to the toss going sideways...

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
it's so sad that Venus was only mentioned once, i love her serve and she has the fastest serve speed, her serve puts so much wrist into and so much snap.:hearts:

Brenda has the fastest serve record.

Viktymise
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
I agree. Jelena's motion is perfect but all she lacks is the power and the ability to mix it up. And of course, to reach up to the ball. And the confidence.

Serena's though is perfect, with the power, spins, placement, and so solid and consistent. Her toss is perfect.

Bar the toss Ana's serve motion is perfect. She's working on the spins and slices.

Sharapova's toss is way too high and her service motion takes a toll on her shoulder. Which doesn't make it perfect, but it's effective when on.

Vaidisova's motion is great but her placement isn't great and she goes for way too many 2nd serves.

That's actually what makes her serve so good. The placement.

Sexysova
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM

wtf? :o I think Nicole has one of the best placement, she doesn't use much power like Williams's sisters, her serve is mainly about placement and rotations.. not about power :)

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Brenda has the fastest serve record.

in qualifying...i am speaking of the big leagues in main draws and grand slams:p

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
in qualifying...i am speaking of the big leagues in main draws and grand slams:p

So Brenda's serve never occurred?

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
So Brenda's serve never occurred?

then why do commentator's say Venus has the biggest recorded serve?
that serve of Brenda's kinda doesn't matter since it was done in qualifying:shrug:

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Serena.

patch.
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Tatiana Golovin without a doubt, So beautiful :inlove:

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM
then why do commentator's say Venus has the biggest recorded serve?
that serve of Brenda's kinda doesn't matter since it was done in qualifying:shrug:

Because commentator's are really uninformed about the women's game and 98% of TennisForum members know more stats than they do.

Brenda has the fastest serve in the history of women's tennis. Period.

I know it's hard for you, but Venus probably don't give a shit so why should you?

Watching
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Whoever said Venus is clearly braindead.

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Because commentator's are really uninformed about the women's game and 98% of TennisForum members know more stats than they do.

Brenda has the fastest serve in the history of women's tennis. Period.

I know it's hard for you, but Venus probably don't give a shit so why should you?

actually you're the one who started this whole confrontation by questioning me, meaning that you actually care more than i do.
i know Brenda hit a 130MPH serve in qualifying of an event, but Venus has the fastest serve in main draws events:shrug:

shrOOf
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Julia Schruff. :haha:

danieln1
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Lindsay Davenport
Serena and Venus
Martina Hingis (the only problem was the speed)
Mary Pierce

Natash.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM
I love Benesova's service motion. :hearts:

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
actually you're the one who started this whole confrontation by questioning me, meaning that you actually care more than i do.
i know Brenda hit a 130MPH serve in qualifying of an event, but Venus has the fastest serve in main draws events:shrug:

I corrected you're mistake. Then you had to go and discredit Brenda. You have some sort of complex when it comes to Venus - it's okay to admit she doesn't have the fastest serve, no exceptions to it.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Venus lacks any placement on her serve. It's just big. But most of the time she doesn't go for the lines and players can return it quite easily.

Serena has it all but recently she hasn't been serving that well by her standards. It actually went down hill after her match with Vaidisova at the Australian. Even though she went on that tear this year, her serve wasn't as effective as it has been. That being said, I still think Serena has the best service motion and best serve in the women's game.

Equus
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone but Renata Voracova :help: :help: and :help:

Petkorazzi
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM

:spit: The weaker opponent on the other side of the court made it easier for Brenda to hit that serve, right?

Marcelo.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Serena Williams
Patty Schnyder
Alona Bondarenko

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM
I corrected you're mistake. Then you had to go and discredit Brenda. You have some sort of complex when it comes to Venus - it's okay to admit she doesn't have the fastest serve, no exceptions to it.

i have no problem with Brenda having a faster serve, but how do much do you know about it?
was her serve in?

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
i have no problem with Brenda having a faster serve, but how do much do you know about it?
was her serve in?

:weirdo:

No, they put an out serve in the record books.

Slutiana
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Serena.

I can't believe people have said Sharapova's and Ivanovics. Esp. Maria's :lol:.

sweetpeas
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
serena no doubt..

Pie800
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Lindsay. For sure.

Tennace
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Serena, Vaidisova, Molik, Davenport, Ivanovic

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
:haha:

Maria :rolls: That service motion is just :tape:

JAMESYBABY!
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
venus has :D

The Dawntreader
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Aesthetically, Jelena's serve looksvery much the part. Looks very smooth and coordinated. However looks are decieving when she actually makes contact:lol:

Lindsay's is just SO fluid. More so in her later years than say 98/99, where she used to throw it up in a more basic fashion.

Serena's has to be the best though, you can see every limb working in perfect harmony to enhance the stroke. Technically, it's the best serve ever really IMO.

I loved Venus's service motion in 98-2000, where she had such elevation off it. Nowadays it's a tad more rigid, but she does get much better placement now, and the serve speed is more varied and less sopradic.

Natarajasana
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Anastasia Pivovarova has a beautiful service motion :hearts:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bb0o_svogt-vs-apivovarova-makarska-ladie_sport

Beat
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM
Golovin, it's just beautiful:hearts::worship:

i see you're a fan and all, but seriously!

i always thought schnyder's serving motion was very fluent.

Coffee&TV
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:46 PM
Bartoli :lol:

Natash.
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bb0o_svogt-vs-apivovarova-makarska-ladie_sport

I was going to say Pivovarova as well. :hearts:

Very grand and elegant. :D

Slutati
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
i see you're a fan and all, but seriously!

i always thought schnyder's serving motion was very fluent.
Seriously. I like it:shrug:

#1Davenport
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:26 AM
I love Davenport's cause its so fluid and never changes. Serena's serve motion is simple where it never breaks down so I think it's one of the best, too.

iPatty
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM
Patty has a nice looking motion but it could be technically better.

Serena has the perfect serve, the conversation ends here.
No one will probably ever have a serve like her for the rest of tennis' history.

drgray
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:51 AM
I would say Davenport, then Serena.

ASP0315
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
probably Big Brenda. Her first serve is very difficult to return.

Serena's and Venus's first serve's are pretty readable.
I have seen a lot of players put their serves back frequently. They can hit 120 mph serve but are very inconsistent servers imo.(On indoors their serves are dangerous weapons but on other surfaces they are returnable.)

ASP0315
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
oh yeah davenport serve motion is pretty impressive as well.
i have seen her hold serves quickly frequently.(there aren't big serves but she puts them in perfect spots.)

AnywhereButHome
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Serena

FedererBulgaria
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM

:hearts:

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
probably Big Brenda. Her first serve is very difficult to return.

Serena's and Venus's first serve's are pretty readable.
I have seen a lot of players put their serves back frequently. They can hit 120 mph serve but are very inconsistent servers imo.(On indoors their serves are dangerous weapons but on other surfaces they are returnable.)

You should look again.. lol theres a reason they have most unreturned....

Anyways.... now that the haters out of the way...

Those saying Venus :help: her serve motion is....:tape:

I'd go with the best serve on tour hardest to read... only person who can hit a kick... Clearly its serena...

Harvs
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Serena and Molik

Kworb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Johansson

serenus_2k8
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Some of these suggestions are ridiculous....

Wojtek
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Second serve Molik - it's very easy to hit kick serve from her motion.
First serve - Serena Williams, Clijsters, Kuznetsova

Mr.Kardashian
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Serena Williams, Alicia Molik, Samantha Stosur

kittyking
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
I'm a bit biased (obviously), but I think that Marina has a nice service motion. It's very compact and simple :D