PDA

View Full Version : American Tennis Sucks

tonybotz
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:50 AM
ugh. im so aggravated. we went from seles/capriati/venus/serena/lindsay to no one challenging for slams!

AnomyBC
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM
It pretty much sucks right now, yeah. And it will probably get worse before it gets better (assuming it ever gets better.) I think they really need to start pressuring Sharapova to play as an American. She may be the only person who can save American tennis.

drgray
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:54 AM
Harkleroad!!!

mirzalover
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM
I guess we will have to wait like 2-4 years to see if anyone of the up and coming girls can be the next big thing.

tonybotz
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM
sharapova is so american. i hate these players who move here at 10 years old, take advantage of everything america has to offer, and then they play for their birth countries in competition. sharapova is as russian as pierce is french. its ridiculous.

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
There certainly isn't another Chris Evert or maybe even a Serena Williams waiting in the wings, but sooner or later, we'll have Davenport/Capriati/V Williams-esque players winning majors. It's bound to happen again sooner or later. Many of the best coaches, academies, and conditions are found here in the states. The USTA needs to really make more of a push for the American born girls to get to the front of the pack.

The US has been blessed with the most talented players ever to play the game. We're incredibly lucky to have had so many players at the top of the game honestly. There's no unity like there is in more desperate federations, however. That's the problem. Our players are too spoiled.

tonybotz
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:33 AM
our players aren't spoiled. theyre pragmatic. they dont train as if their life depends on it, because for most of them, it doesnt. their parents are wealthy so their results don't matter as much.

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:45 AM
And doesn't that mean they are spoiled? I'm sure they don't have this issue in Eastern Europe or in Asia.

Tennis is a luxury sport here. For them, it's a way out. Many of our best talents probably just go on to play college tennis and do something wonderful and ordinary with their lives. I doubt that's an option or a goal elsewhere.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:54 AM
seles/capriati/venus/serena/lindsay
*sigh* Those were the days..

A Magicman
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:56 AM
sharapova is so american. i hate these players who move here at 10 years old, take advantage of everything america has to offer, and then they play for their birth countries in competition. sharapova is as russian as pierce is french. its ridiculous.

She respectively Yuri paid for taking advantage of "everything America has to offer", right?

Same would apply for all the Russians training in Spain.

America now has the same problem as Germany - we are both toast in terms of future perspectives in tennis. You at least have some decent men in Blake or Roddick....

OZTENNIS
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM
Similar things have happened in the UK and in Australia.
I'm not sure what the deal is with the US, but in Australia, the federation became complacent, having produced players of the calibre of Court, Cawley, Bowrey and Turnbull, TA kind of expected things just to keep happening. Obviously they didn't.

I'm sure the USA will have a more pronounced presence on the circuit in the next few years with the likes of Oudin, Brengle, Coco V, Muhammad and others coming through. Will be interesting to see who does best

Golovinjured.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
:lol: @ trying to claim Sharapova

Sefo
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
You have Beth Mattek. I'd kill for that to have.

rhz
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:47 AM
:lol: @ trying to claim Sharapova

Same here... Haha!!! She's no wannabe like L. Huber :devil::devil::devil::devil:

tennnisfannn
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
ugh. im so aggravated. we went from seles/capriati/venus/serena/lindsay to no one challenging for slams!
Didn't venus and serena only become american after seles/capriati/davenport stoppped being a force???

starin
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM

:scratch: umm... didn't Serena and Venus win a slam last year??

homogenius
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM

How is this related to the topic ? Players like Sharapova and Pierce are not responsible for the lack of talent of the young american players.

(and Pierce IS french :) )

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:40 AM
:scratch: umm... didn't Serena and Venus win a slam last year??

He's talking about past (five years ago) and present (now). As of this moment (now), we have no one competing for the current slam.

Golovinjured.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM
Honestly I think you guys are going alright. Serena and Venus are always going to be among the favourites, and Davenport is always a chance in my books. But they will retire soon (next 5 years I assume, maybe not :shrug:), and when that happens I don't now what's going to happen with American tennis.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Harkleroad!!!

i was thinking the same thing! :worship:

Aravanecaravan
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
The USA has a Playboy cover model. No other country can claim that.

tequila
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM
You still have Sharapova. ;)

SUPER
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM
The USA has a Playboy cover model. No other country can claim that.

Spain has Nuria Llagostera:lol:
(and Feliciana Lopez:tape:)

Aravanecaravan
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM
Spain has Nuria Llagostera:lol:
(and Feliciana Lopez:tape:)

Is that true? My apologies.

Borris
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Lol at Americans claiming Sharapova.

You're acting like those tennis academies are paid by American tax money, and that they are like owned by American government...

Sharapova has whatever nationality she wants to have ... She's born in Russia, her parents are Russian, she speaks Russian and wants to be Russian, so I think every discussion about this is just stupid....

AnomyBC
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not joking when I say they should start pressuring Sharapova to play as an American. I think it will definitely happen, if it's not happening already, and I think there's a decent chance that Sharapova will eventually play as an American. I mean, we were able to pull over Navratilova and Seles, so why not Sharapova? I also think Sharapova will eventually become an American citizen.

StephenUK
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not joking when I say they should start pressuring Sharapova to play as an American. I think it will definitely happen, if it's not happening already, and I think there's a decent chance that Sharapova will eventually play as an American. I mean, we were able to pull over Navratilova and Seles, so why not Sharapova? I also think Sharapova will eventually become an American citizen.

It's not quite the same. Navratilova defected under Communism because she wanted to be able to decide her own career and keep her own prize money. Seles changed because of the difficulties of representing Yugoslavia when it was at war and later under sanctions. There isn't the same urgency for Sharapova. Why should she change? I think it is a bit sad of the US to try and plug their gaps by getting other top players to become American - they should concentrate on finding new stars whilst enjoying the remaining Williams years. The sisters flopping in Paris is nothing out of the ordinary, American fans should wait for Wimbledon and maybe the US Open, which is well overdue another Williams victory.

Golovinjured.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
:lol: Do you realise how desperate it looks for a nation to pressure the good players to become citizens of their own country, just because the USA, as a world superpower SHOULD have top players - but doesn't. It looks extremely pathetic and week.

Sharapova is Russian. Sure, she came to America early in her career to develop her skills, but its not like she was brought up through tax-payer funded programs using up YOUR tax dollars. She was trained in a private academy, that happened to be based in America :shrug: so what? It's like saying Kuznetsova should become Spanish because she was in an academy there.

I doubt she would ever EVER become an American while she's a tennis player. She obviously feels as though she's a Russian (playing Fed Cup) and truth be told, being a Russian probably adds to her marketablity.

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
^^

Bad example. Kuznetsova applied for Spanish citizenship but the Spanish federation didn't want her because they thought she wasn't talented enough.

Golovinjured.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
^^

Bad example. Kuznetsova applied for Spanish citizenship but the Spanish federation didn't want her because they thought she wasn't talented enough.

Really?

oops :p

well it blew up in their face didnt it :)

lola-b.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM
we were able to pull over Navratilova and Seles, so why not Sharapova? I also think Sharapova will eventually become an American citizen.

Yes, but you forget something important :fiery: : When Navratilova changed her nationality, it was the time of the communistic East. As a Tchechoslovakian (or how did you call them?), you didn't have all the abilities to travel around the world, you needed to apply for an allowance regularly and the authotity could decline it without any reason, you were not allowed to keep all you money you earned, you had to give most of the money to the government. And Seles, well, in the 90s there was war in the Balkan-area. I hope, you understand now the reasons, why the two left their countries and changed their nationalities.

Nowadays, everything is quite well in East Europe, and Moscow for example has become a really expensive city. There is absolutely no need for Maria or maybe Jelena to change their nationalities because everything you could get in the US is now available in their home countries.

Dawson.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
american tennis sucks?! you should try living in the uk :lol:

Golovinjured.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM

:lol:

Don't you guys have 2 Top-100 players now?

You're beating Australia now :o Dellacqua's our lone battler in double-digit ranks. How sad is that for a country that produced some of the greatest of all time..

jj74
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
At least the USA have some good prospects like Sachia Vickery, Madison Keys (both debuted this week on junior tour) or Victoria Duval. Yes, i know the are very young yet, but they seem to be good in the future

jj74
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM

And the uk have the wonderfull Laura Robson, she has such a nice game, i hope she'll be great

Dawson.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
And the uk have the wonderfull Laura Robson, she has such a nice game, i hope she'll be great

true. i just hope she doesnt crumble under the pressure that is going to be put on her at wimbledon etc

Renalicious
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Well yes it's bad right now. But as said before you do have some up an coming players that can mature. Brengle, Coco, King...etc.

jj74
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
^^

That's not exactly true, Emilio Sanchez Vicario ask if Sveta could have spanish citizenship and is true that they said the she wasn't enough talent, but Sveta never apllied and as she said her father will never allow her to change her citizenship. She never planned change her citizenship, it was more an idea of Emilio

Tennisstar86
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:42 PM
last time i checked Venus still held a major to her name..... Sharapova goes over a year without winning a slam.... yet Venus whose won the same # as her in the past two years isnt challenging anymore. :rolleyes:

Tennisstar86
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
He's talking about past (five years ago) and present (now). As of this moment (now), we have no one competing for the current slam.

Also dumb... the only american to really challenge consistently on the red stuff was Capriati.... even seles 5 years ago wasnt a great challenge on it.....

pov
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
^^

Is there a credible source for this assertion?

AnomyBC
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yes, but you forget something important :fiery: : When Navratilova changed her nationality, it was the time of the communistic East. As a Tchechoslovakian (or how did you call them?), you didn't have all the abilities to travel around the world, you needed to apply for an allowance regularly and the authotity could decline it without any reason, you were not allowed to keep all you money you earned, you had to give most of the money to the government. And Seles, well, in the 90s there was war in the Balkan-area. I hope, you understand now the reasons, why the two left their countries and changed their nationalities.

Nowadays, everything is quite well in East Europe, and Moscow for example has become a really expensive city. There is absolutely no need for Maria or maybe Jelena to change their nationalities because everything you could get in the US is now available in their home countries.

What difference does make how things are going in her home country? She's already LEFT her home country, and she's been living in the US for FOURTEEN YEARS already, which is twice as long as the time she spent in Russia---most of which she was probably too young to remember. And I'm guessing that she's probably going to stay in the US for the rest of her life. So why not officially become an American and start playing as one? I think if she stays here she'll eventually become a US citizen one way or another, it's just a question of whether she'll do it while she's still playing tennis or if she'll wait till she's retired. I'll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed for the former :)

AnomyBC
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM
It's not quite the same. Navratilova defected under Communism because she wanted to be able to decide her own career and keep her own prize money. Seles changed because of the difficulties of representing Yugoslavia when it was at war and later under sanctions. There isn't the same urgency for Sharapova. Why should she change?

There may not be a lot of urgency on her end (unless she wants to vote in our Presidential election maybe???), but there will definitely be a lot of urgency on our end after the Williams sisters retire :lol:

tequila
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Sharpie will play for America when Venus and Serena retire. ;)

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM
Sharpie will play for America when Venus and Serena retire. ;)
:sad::fiery:
^^

i do not believe that at all, the Spanish players, no offense, suck, and Sveta could have really helped Spain get recognition for great tennis

AnomyBC
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Sharapova is Russian. Sure, she came to America early in her career to develop her skills, but its not like she was brought up through tax-payer funded programs using up YOUR tax dollars. She was trained in a private academy, that happened to be based in America :shrug: so what? It's like saying Kuznetsova should become Spanish because she was in an academy there.

But it's not like she's just going to an academy here, she's LIVED IN THE UNITED STATES FOR FOURTEEN YEARS!!! And her parents are living here too, so she's had no strong connection to Russia for many years now. As I said, I expect she'll probably live her for the rest of her life, as will her parents. So there's no reason for her to not eventually become a citizen. Like I said, I just hope it comes soon enough that she can play as an American :)

tequila
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
But it's not like she's just going to an academy here, she's LIVED IN THE UNITED STATES FOR FOURTEEN YEARS!!! And her parents are living here too, so she's had no strong connection to Russia for many years now. As I said, I expect she'll probably live her for the rest of her life, as will her parents. So there's no reason for her to not eventually become a citizen. Like I said, I just hope it comes soon enough that she can play as an American :)

There's no reason for her to become a US citizen. She's already getting the benefits of living in the US. The only reason would be is if the US Tennis Federation push her to be the heir to Venus and Serena after they retire. The sooner Venus and Serena retire, the sooner Sharpie will play for the US. In Russia, she is the best player in their history. In the US tennis history, she would only be a footnote.

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
There's no reason for her to become a US citizen. She's already getting the benefits of living in the US. The only reason would be is if the US Tennis Federation push her to be the heir to Venus and Serena after they retire. The sooner Venus and Serena retire, the sooner Sharpie will play for the US. In Russia, she is the best player in their history. In the US tennis history, she would only be a footnote.

then I hope Venus and Serena never retire:hearts:

Branimir
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
So if lets say Sharapova takes american citizenship, will this really save american tennis? Two Russian parents, last name Sharapova? Would that mean success of "american tennis"? In case you guys didn't know, Molika Seleš won most her titles/slams playing for Jugoslavija, and not US. She won only 1 slam playing for US. Does Maria have enough in her to win more slams while being American, than while being Russian? Well she only won 3 slams so far, so it could happen easily, but anyway how that could be success of American tennis?

Serenita
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
So how must they pressure Maria in becoming a " american"

Tennisstar86
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
So how must they pressure Maria in becoming a " american"

:secret: they dont...cause they dont really care..... we dont just hand out american citizenship.... hell the Dixie Chicks almost got their taken away....

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
:secret: they dont...cause they dont really care..... we dont just hand out american citizenship.... hell the Dixie Chicks almost got their taken away....

Liezel Huber would prove otherwise...