PDA

View Full Version : "Surprise" RG Semifinalists

alwayshingis
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:47 AM
It seems as though each of the last few years there is a surprise Semifinalist at RG. I guess last year is an exception because all the SFists were top 8 seeds, but Maria getting there without a shoulder was still a surprise. But before that:

2006 - Nicole Vaidisova
2005 - Elena Likhovtseva
2004 - Paola Suarez
2003 - Nadia Petrova
2002- Clarisa Fernandez

Certainly a strong chance that this will happen again.

Wiggly
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM
Azarenka, Pennetta.

DragonFlame
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:57 AM
azarenka has my vote. I can see her winning against kuzzie and then she should make the semi. If somehow penetta or aga manage to make it i'd be really surprised.

If kvitova or kanepi make it:tape:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:28 AM
Suarez Navarro :cool:

DownTheLine21
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM
I think Azarenka could be the surprise Semifinalist this year.

Wtatennis212
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:39 AM
This year I think there can be 4 surprise semifinalist. I think Schnyder and Srebotnik can beat Ivanovic, Azarenka can beat Kuznetsova, Safina can beat Sharapova, and Pennetta or Radwanska can beat Jankovic. This could be an interesting next couple of days at Roland Garros. Predictions (http://protennisfans.blogspot.com)

gorecki
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:06 AM
and the player who won that semi all went on to be runnerup..

2006 - Nicole Vaidisova < Sveta < Justine
2005 - Elena Likhovtseva < Mary < Justine
2004 - Paola Suarez < ElenaD < Nastya
2003 - Nadia Petrova < Kim < Justine
2002- Clarisa Fernandez < Venus < Serena

Chunchun
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
and the player who won that semi all went on to be runnerup..

2006 - Nicole Vaidisova < Sveta < Justine
2005 - Elena Likhovtseva < Mary < Justine
2004 - Paola Suarez < ElenaD < Nastya
2003 - Nadia Petrova < Kim < Justine
2002- Clarisa Fernandez < Venus < Serena

but Maria getting there without a shoulder was still a surprise.

so you are correct :spit:
Maria < Ana < Justine :eek:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM
so you are correct :spit:
Maria < Ana < Justine :eek:
i'd say that too. she is the surprise semifinalist of last year. blame that on Patty Schnyder who was sooo close to stop her and Anna C who played like a retard against her in QF :rolleyes: :help:

Chunchun
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:21 AM
i'd say that too. she is the surprise semifinalist of last year. blame that on Patty Schnyder who was sooo close to stop her and Anna C who played like a retard against her in QF :rolleyes: :help:

and the ultimate reason was she put her hard court tennis to there and (still) moved like a cow :p

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:21 AM
hopefully Safina will send that cow to eat grass in Birmingham :rolls:

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:31 AM
Sharapova wouldn't be a surprise semifinalist even if the match were played on Mars. She'd made the QF twice before she made the SF.

s_j
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM
I would say Azarenka is a very likely semi-finalist. I can definitely see her upsetting Kuznetsova and then beating Kvitova/Kanepi. Maybe also Radwanska upsetting Jankovic, then beating Pennetta/Suarez Navarro could happen. And, although I hope not, if Safina beats Sharapova she'll definitely make the semis too.

Marty-Dom
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM
I would say Azarenka is a very likely semi-finalist. I can definitely see her upsetting Kuznetsova and then beating Kvitova/Kanepi. Maybe also Radwanska upsetting Jankovic, then beating Pennetta/Suarez Navarro could happen. And, although I hope not, if Safina beats Sharapova she'll definitely make the semis too.

Safina will probably win the whole thing now.
She is seeded #13 again- just like when she won her last big title. Lucky omen if you ask me.

A'DAM
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Radwanska ;)

ViennaCalling
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Suarez Navarro or Kvitova maybe? :D

Keaka
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'd go with more than 1 surprising semifinalist, Azarenka, Srebotnik, Safina

Andreas
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
I hope Azarenka will be that surprise - hopefully she'll get to final as well ;)

eck
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
It wont be that poor soul getting a mauling now. :o