PDA

View Full Version : Safina wants to get rid of Wimbledon

Kworb
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:05 AM
:eek: Looks like not everyone reveres it as the most important Grand Slam.

---

Q. This is sort of maybe a strange question, but the players, they switch back and forth from different surfaces, clay, hard, indoor, and grass. The grass court season is so short. Do you think it should be elongated, made longer, or maybe even just eliminated?

DINARA SAFINA: My opinion?

Q. Your opinion, not mine.

DINARA SAFINA: It's like in the middle of nowhere. Like it's three tournaments just on grass. No time. Nowhere else you can just prepare for the grass. There is nowhere else than England and in Holland there is grass courts.

Courts that you ‑‑ I know here we have Racing Club. They have actually grass court courts. But, no. In my opinion, I don't like, so they can take it away. (laughter.)

spiceboy
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:08 AM
You know someone has been training in Spain too long when...

:haha:

Uranium
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:10 AM
that's not shocking when you look at who she loses to on grass:tape:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:11 AM
if she was laughing, she was just joking :)

LudwigDvorak
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:15 AM
Safina on grass = LOL. Can't believe she had MP against Jankovic on grass and made the final of Holland...

ASP0315
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:15 AM
she is 100% current.
imo
Unless wimbledon add roofs and change thier damn freaking traditions(which includes no sunday plays, all white dress court and other garbage.) It doesn't deserve to be a slam.

Willam
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:19 AM
You know someone has been training in Spain too long when...

:haha:

:haha: So true! :p

CLAY CLAY CLAY!

However Safin hasnt been like this :shrug:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
didn't she once reach the final at 's-Hertogenbosch? :tape:

Babolatpro880
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:26 AM
:haha: So true! :p

CLAY CLAY CLAY!

However Safin hasnt been like this :shrug:

Actually he has. I can't remember what year, but definitely within the last five, Safin lost a Wimbledon match and then bitched during the press conference about how stupid the tournament is.

Andy.
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:07 AM
I could say the same about clay :p:angel:;)

Dave.
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM
What is it with that family and Wimbledon?

drake3781
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:19 AM
I took it as a joke. :shrug:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:24 AM
I took it as a joke. :shrug:
it might be a joke but the fact is she admitted she doesn't like grass, which is lame bc tennis is born from grass :p

drake3781
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:26 AM
it might be a joke but the fact is she admitted she doesn't like grass, which is lame bc tennis is born from grass :p

Yeah, I get that too. It was like she was saying, I don't like grass, so get rid of it to suit me, ha ha and wink wink.

savestheday91
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:35 AM
What is it with that family and Wimbledon?

Exactly :tape: :lol:

Kenny
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:20 AM
Go figure. Her family never has done very well in Wimbledon.. of course she doesn't like it.

kris719
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:31 AM
Uhhh correct me if I'm wrong, but she didn't exactly say "I want to get rid of Wimbledon" :shrug:

drgray
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:34 AM
Grass, imo, is the best season and should be extended. But I don't know how serious she was being...

DutchieGirl
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM
Uhhh correct me if I'm wrong, but she didn't exactly say "I want to get rid of Wimbledon" :shrug:

:yeah: Someone here can read! :D You are correct.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM
:weirdo: I think it's pretty clear that she was being sarcastic. Obviously I'm sure lots of players feel there's not enough time to prepare on grass, but that doesn't mean they just wanna scrap Wimbledon.

And LMFAO @ ASP. You're warped.

aussie_fan
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM
she is 100% current.
imo
Unless wimbledon add roofs and change thier damn freaking traditions(which includes no sunday plays, all white dress court and other garbage.) It doesn't deserve to be a slam.

silly post

anyway, dinara was just saying it as a joke, nothing wrong with it

Ben.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM
Dinara was just joking everyone, geez some of you should light up a bit.

And when did she say she wanted Wimbledon gone :lol:

kittyking
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
She may be a little bit crazy, but at least shes honest, and doesn't scream all the time :cuckoo:

CooCooCachoo
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:25 AM
:rolls:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM
I do think she was joking so we will let this pass. Just this once.

Bероника
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
:lol: dinara

mckyle.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Actually he has. I can't remember what year, but definitely within the last five, Safin lost a Wimbledon match and then bitched during the press conference about how stupid the tournament is.

And then his PR people made him apologize :lol:

papru
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM
and I want to get rid off Safina :tape:

who cares? :p

A'DAM
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
I would move Wimbledon with 3 weeks and make a 5 weeks grass season before Wimby!!!

justine schnyder
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM

I do remmember he said last year that it was boring there and he had nothing good to eat :lol:

kwilliams
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
I think they should extend the season and have grass court tournaments in other countries too!

Anyway Wimbledon would/will be the last tournament ever to be cancelled on the tennis calendar.

young_gunner913
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'd like a couple more grass tournaments to be added. :)

cn ireland
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
She's entitled to her opinion cos I don't expect everyone to like it. However I think most players view it as the most prestigious Slam.

scoobsuk
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:46 AM
I think it's good to hear a contrary opinion from time to time. No tournament should be universally worshipped, it would become complacent and arrogant.

goldenlox
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:53 AM
I think she was making a joke. Her game is good on grass. She has a ton of power and in her current form she should do very well at Wimbledon

Kworb
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
It was funny because her opinion is so "out there" and not a popular one in the tennis world, but she did really mean what she said, she wouldn't mind if the grass season were eliminated.

serenus_2k8
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:00 PM
Does anyone else think a Grass Tier I would be good, and Wimb perhaps made a week or 2 later?

I thought it would rock but I aint sure, Wimb is kinda special because there isnt that many warmup events for it??

As for Safina, get ur ass on the practise courts more and quit whining :lol: Jkz!

anon57
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
:lol:Dinara

Dodoboy.
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
A grass Tier I would be :hearts:

Anything to get the WS to play a tournament in UK other than wimby :hearts:

Dave.
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Does anyone else think a Grass Tier I would be good, and Wimb perhaps made a week or 2 later?

I thought it would rock but I aint sure, Wimb is kinda special because there isnt that many warmup events for it??

As for Safina, get ur ass on the practise courts more and quit whining :lol: Jkz!

I'd like it but only if they get rid of the current grass and make it fast again. Grasscourt tennis can be good to watch if the courts are fast. The current courts at Wimbledon are not grass they're as slow as hardcourts.

DutchieGirl
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
It was funny because her opinion is so "out there" and not a popular one in the tennis world, but she did really mean what she said, she wouldn't mind if the grass season were eliminated.

From what you posted it seemed rather obvious that she was joking actually.

miura
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:38 PM
I've been to every slam except the Australian Open and I always get the best feeling from the Wimbledon tournament. The brits, the class, the seriousness and elegancy of the entire event.

crazillo
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Wimbledon is tennis, it is THE tournament. It is also different from everything else these days and that is why it shpuld be kept forever -- it's tradition afterall.

To say something like that is just not OK...

Escape
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:01 PM

Last year Safin said the food at Wimbledon was too expensive :lol:

jochem
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
If I were the head of the WTA Tour I would extend the grass season with two weeks (adding one tourney!) and add a Tier I (Eastbourne). Now its Tier III, Tier II/III (Eastbourne and Ordina Open same week...) and then Wimby... it's just not right! Wimbledon is THE tournament on the tour and I think grass is fabulous anyway ;) So maybe it would be good to do it this way:
Week 1: Ordina Open (Tier III)
Week 2: A new tourney in England... (Tier II)
Week 3: Eastbourne (Tier I)
Week 4: Birmingham (Tier III)
Week 5: Wimbledon (1/2)
Week 6: Wimbledon (2/2)

Problem is RG would have to move back a week and Wimbledon a week ahead and I doubt they will agree with that :(

DutchieGirl
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM
If I were the head of the WTA Tour I would extend the grass season with two weeks (adding one tourney!) and add a Tier I (Eastbourne). Now its Tier III, Tier II/III (Eastbourne and Ordina Open same week...) and then Wimby... it's just not right! Wimbledon is THE tournament on the tour and I think grass is fabulous anyway ;) So maybe it would be good to do it this way:
Week 1: Ordina Open (Tier III)
Week 2: A new tourney in England... (Tier II)
Week 3: Eastbourne (Tier I)
Week 4: Birmingham (Tier III)
Week 5: Wimbledon (1/2)
Week 6: Wimbledon (2/2)

Problem is RG would have to move back a week and Wimbledon a week ahead and I doubt they will agree with that :(

No, not much hope of that happening (the slams moving) - would be a nice idea though. ;)

Sean.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
:lol:Safina

I think, Maria and Venus would like extend the grass-court season by turning the clay-courts into grass.

Either way, more grass!

Dawson.
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
she is 100% current.
imo

it doesnt deserve to be a slam?? its the oldest tennis tournement in the world! how can you possibly say it has no right?!

southpaw58
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I could say the same about clay :p:angel:;)

LoL

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
She's joking...

...I hope.

LadyLeah
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
it doesnt deserve to be a slam?? its the oldest tennis tournement in the world! how can you possibly say it has no right?!

Totally agree. Wimbledon's traditions are what make it special and distinct from the other grand slams and hopefully most of the players on the tour are appreciative enough of their sport's heritage to respect that.

Safina actually has many of the weapons to make a good grasscourt player but unfortunately for her with that kind of mindset she will probably talk herself out of ever doing well there. I'm sure her comments were at least partly tongue in cheek though, although I seem to remember her brother not being particularly fond of the grass either ;)

LUVMIRZA
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Coz its played in England, its made the prestigious GrandSlam, white dress (how boring) & stupid Aristocrats... grow up pls!!! All Grand Slams shuld be treated the same.. though Venus fans will never agree.:lol: Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

matty
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
She has a few good points there...

ASP0315
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
:weirdo: I think it's pretty clear that she was being sarcastic. Obviously I'm sure lots of players feel there's not enough time to prepare on grass, but that doesn't mean they just wanna scrap Wimbledon.

And LMFAO @ ASP. You're warped.

i owned you repeatedly :lol:

ASP0315
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM

i see you give a negetive rep.
I'll fire you back one. First of all i'm entitled to my opnion.(read the WTAworld rules.)i'm just giving my opinion. if don't agree with it fine just say so but no need to give negetive reps.

imo it is a boring slam.

All i said is they need change thier traditions.

I have no problems with the surface or the place.( although i think it slowed down a bit.)
i hate the damn traditions.
If they can make equal pay there i don't why they can remove the no sunday play rule and other dress codes.

hankqq
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM
The funny thing is, both Safin and Safina should do well on grass. They both have great serves and are hard hitters who can volley well. The fast grass courts should help them, since Safina doesn't move great and Safin has been slower since his knee operation. I've never understood why they can't do well at Wimbledon. Maybe this year will be different.

About the grass season, I would love it to be longer too. The 3 main obstacles to this are:

1. I'm willing to bet neither RG nor Wimbledon would be willing to change its place on the schedule. :o I really do wish there was more of a balance between the seasons, but the placement of the slams interferes with this.

2. Grass is expensive and annoying to take care of, and a lot of tournaments don't want to be bothered with it.

3. The UK, Netherlands and Germany have the only European grass events. Unless other countries get involved...(I know the US, India, Pakistan and Australia have some, but traveling to these places before Wimbledon wouldn't make sense after the European clay season).

ASP0315
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM
The funny thing is, both Safin and Safina should do well on grass. They both have great serves and are hard hitters who can volley well. The fast grass courts should help them, since Safina doesn't move great and Safin has been slower since his knee operation. I've never understood why they can't do well at Wimbledon. Maybe this year will be different.

About the grass season, I would love it to be longer too. The 3 main obstacles to this are:

1. I'm willing to bet neither RG nor Wimbledon would be willing to change its place on the schedule. :o I really do wish there was more of a balance between the seasons, but the placement of the slams interferes with this.

2. Grass is expensive and annoying to take care of, and a lot of tournaments don't want to be bothered with it.

3. The UK, Netherlands and Germany have the only European grass events. Unless other countries get involved...(I know the US, India, Pakistan and Australia have some, but traveling to these places before Wimbledon wouldn't make sense after the European clay season).

i agree
i think both siblings are capable of playing well on grass.
Having big serve will not automatically garuntee you good results on grass. You also need to have other weapons like volleying, good movement etc etc.
Well even Guga got a big serve but has a limited success on grass. Same thing with safin.
Another example is martin verkerk he has done well in clay and indoors but failed on grass.
I think it is better for those players not to put too much stress on doing well on grass and try to get better on doing well on thier favorite surfaces.(Unless you have real ambitions like Federer or Nadal.)

I do agree that grass season needs to be extended for a week or two but not more than that.

Slutiana
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
:haha: Sounds just like Marat there.

Dinara was just joking everyone, geez some of you should light up a bit.

And when did she say she wanted Wimbledon gone :lol:
EXACTLY! People here overreact and try and read into everything. I was so shocked at the responses.

Slutiana
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
Coz its played in England, its made the prestigious GrandSlam, white dress (how boring) & stupid Aristocrats... grow up pls!!! All Grand Slams shuld be treated the same.. though Venus fans will never agree.:lol: Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
Uh huh. Especially not the British Vee fans. :angel:

wally1
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM
I think it's good to hear a contrary opinion from time to time. No tournament should be universally worshipped, it would become complacent and arrogant.It's hardly original. The "grass is for cows" school of thought has been around since at least Santana in the 60's. Also "Wimbledon is full of stuck-up snobs", "white clothes are stupid" etc etc are hardly uncommon sentiments.

terjw
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
I remember Mary Pierce used to hate grass and Wimbledon. She gave Wimbledon a miss in her early years. Then when she eventually gave it a go - she still wasn't that keen on it unlike her countrywoman Tauziat who loved it.