PDA

View Full Version : A look back at "the Old guard" of women's tennis

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:36 AM
I dare say the old guard of Grand Slam champions that ruled the Tour for 11 years (1997-2007) has been finally replaced by new players this year.

Under the old guard I mean the following players:
Mary Pierce, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Amelie Mauresmo, Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Anastasia Myskina.

During 1997-2007 they won 37 out of 44 Grand Slam tournaments. 41 of 44 Grand Slam finals featured at least one of those players.
Besides 37 Grand Slams the old guard also won 10 Tour Championships, two Olympics gold medals, 71 Tier I titles, 125 Tier II titles and 31 smaller titles -- total 276 singles titles.

One of these players was year-end #1 for each season between 1997 and 2007. They formed year-end Top-3 for each season between 1999 and 2005.

Over those 11 years the old guard earned more than $140,000,000 in prize money.

In 1997-2007 there were 475 matches between two of these players -- 135 were featuring Davenport, 108 - Mauresmo, 108 - Venus, 107 - Hingis, 99 - Serena, 98 - Clijsters, 93 - Henin, 76 - Capriati, 65 - Pierce, 61 - Myskina.

tennisbear7
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:37 AM
:sob: I miss them so much.

RenaSlam.
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
Glory days.

:worship:

It will be missed. Enthralling rivalries, drama aplenty, and all of these dynamic personalities are what made this era so great.

...although it's not finished until the WS say goodbye :worship:

Go Williams!

The Daviator
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
Cannot believe Hingis, Clijsters, Henin and Myskina have left before Lindsay :spit:

Dave.
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
I dare say the old guard of Grand Slam champions that ruled the Tour for 11 years (1997-2007) has been finally replaced by new players this year.

Mary Pierce, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Amelie Mauresmo, Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Anastasia Myskina.

During 1997-2007 they won 37 out of 44 Grand Slam tournaments. 42 of 44 Grand Slam finals featured at least one of those players.
Besides 37 Grand Slams the old guard also won 10 Tour Championships, two Olympics gold medals, 71 Tier I titles, 125 Tier II titles and 31 smaller titles -- total 276 singles titles.

One of these players was year-end #1 for each season between 1997 and 2007. They formed year-end Top-3 for each season between 1999 and 2005.

In 1997-2007 there were 475 matches between two of these players -- 135 were featuring Davenport, 108 - Mauresmo, 108 - Venus, 107 - Hingis, 99 - Serena, 98 - Clijsters, 93 - Henin, 76 - Capriati, 65 - Pierce, 61 - Myskina.

This group was the best :sad:

Just out of interest, if Monica had won RG in 98 would you consider her in this group?

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM
Those were the true big babes. They all have the right combination of femininity, athleticism, passion, and motherliness. (yes, I know that last one sounds weird, but it works).

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:10 AM
if Sharapova and Kuznetsova lose, we will have a first time slam winner :woohoo:

i can't wait! let's go the nobodies! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM
Just out of interest, if Monica had won RG in 98 would you consider her in this group?

Nope.
Monica, imo, belongs to the group that also includes Graf, ASV, Sabatini, Martinez, Novotna...

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:22 AM
:bowdown:The Golden Age Of Tennis :bowdown:

Willam
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:17 AM
I cant be agree because now it will be:

Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Elena Dementieva, Victoria Azarenka, Agnieszka Radwanska, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anna Chakvetadze, Alize Cornet and more! The new guard people!

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:19 AM

Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Elena Dementieva, Victoria Azarenka, Agnieszka Radwanska, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anna Chakvetadze, Alize Cornet and more! The new guard people!
Dementieva isn't that new actually :unsure:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:23 AM

Yeah, Elena is in the same age group as Venus, Justine,Serena and Hingis :p.

jfk
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:30 AM
Dementieva is to the Davenport/WS/Capriati/Belgians group as Mary Joe Fernandez was to the Steffi/ASV/Sabatini group.

This thread depresses me by the way. I had been holding out some hope that Capriati (and Seles) would return and recreate the old rivarlies with Henin, Serena, and Venus. But that era is really dead.

DragonFlame
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:40 AM
This thread definetly is depressing. God, i miss henin so much.
The glorydays of woman's tennis are over for a while now:sad:

moon
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
when i look at some of these up and coming players...:help:

Hopefully wta is not a few years from a bunch of big babe robots. But that seems to be where they are headed.

franny
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Loved the old guard...but Myskina???

Willam
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM

Yeah, Elena is in the same age group as Venus, Justine,Serena and Hingis :p.

Dementieva is to the Davenport/WS/Capriati/Belgians group as Mary Joe Fernandez was to the Steffi/ASV/Sabatini group.

This thread depresses me by the way. I had been holding out some hope that Capriati (and Seles) would return and recreate the old rivarlies with Henin, Serena, and Venus. But that era is really dead.

Well yes but now is her time i think :shrug:

After winning Moscow and Dubai, im sure the best is yet to come :shrug:

young_gunner913
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
:sad:

Maybe in the next couple of years this cycle will repeat itself.

starin
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:08 PM
Well yes but now is her time i think :shrug:

After winning Moscow and Dubai, im sure the best is yet to come :shrug:

yeah her best chance is to score a few win during the changing of the guards when things are a little chaotic. but she's still part of the old guard for sure.

:sobbing:i miss them so much. Their absence is felt proly the most acutely now at this slam. Both sisters out at 3R, Davenport didn't even play, Henin retired, Mauresmo out 2R.....
:lol: that Patty Schnyder and Dementieva should be the last ones standing. But what i said applies to her as well, and hantuchova. Their best chance is to peak now while the old top players are on their way out in terms of form and consistency and the new top players haven't completely found their footing. If they're going to win a slam it's going to be now. Out of these players Dementieva def. has the best shot.

LindsayRulz
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM
:worship: @ this generation. Those were the days :sad:

The new one is so boring :sobbing:

oleada
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:25 AM
when i look at some of these up and coming players...:help:

Hopefully wta is not a few years from a bunch of big babe robots. But that seems to be where they are headed.

Cornet, Radwanska and Cibulkova are hardly big babe robots.
Azarenka is a big babe who hits hard but she has great variety.

There's still hope!

Willam
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
:worship: @ this generation. Those were the days :sad:

The new one is so boring :sobbing:

Excusez Moi..

But im 100% dissagre..

Do you find Ivanovic, Azarenka, Radwanska, Cibulkova, Paszek, Cornet, Pironkova, Sharapova, Safina, Kuznetsova boring????

Sorry I dont!

AlmostCrimes
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:38 AM
Since I started following tennis seriously in '99, I've loved the competition between all these players.. I don't know if I'd include Myskina and even Pierce in with the others, they did win grand slams, but Pierce was always on and off because of injuries and whatnot and Myskina only really was at the very top for like two seasons. I really hope the WS and Davenport go deep in a ton of tournaments this summer!

RenaSlam.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:49 AM

This was such a good time in women's tennis.

debopero
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
Serena is still in it to win it :armed: !

debopero
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Excusez Moi..

But im 100% dissagre..

Do you find Ivanovic, Azarenka, Radwanska, Cibulkova, Paszek, Cornet, Pironkova, Sharapova, Safina, Kuznetsova boring????

Sorry I dont!

...I do.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM
The group you mention were the best group going around. it was at a time when the matches were competive and there were different players winning the slams nearly all the time. I miss that time. I really used to enjoy watching Lindsay take on the Williams sisters and Martina.

hankqq
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
The "old guard" will be missed...

Well, it will be interesting to see how Serena and Venus do against the younger girls for the rest of their careers. Hopefully Mauresmo can make 1 last run at some slam...

I do like some of the new girls though.

Willam
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
...I do.

you must be on your late 30s grandpa!

Serena!
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:06 AM
that era was hawwwt..except serena/venus are still around and will be for at least a few more years so it's not completely over. i agree that a lot of the new players are boring but there are a few that aren't...but by a few, i mean very few

Blu€
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
Wish we could go back in time... :sobbing::sobbing::crying2:

RenaSlam.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:15 AM

During 1997-2007 they won 37 out of 44 Grand Slam tournaments. 42 of 44 Grand Slam finals featured at least one of those players.

I think in a way we were also spoiled with this era -- in that there were so many great (mostly multiple GS) champions playing and competing against each other during one era. All of them different ages, so they peaked at different times and that's what made the rivalries so compelling.

I'm willing to bet that almost all of these players (maybe not Myskina) will be induced into the International Tennis Hall of Fame within the next decade or so.

Time will tell what champions emerge from the current crop, I for one, hope either Ivanovic or Kuznetsova steps up out of the established players today, or that RG has a surprise winner this year on the women's side under the age of 20.

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
I say its not over yet... I mean Dementieva... Kuznetsova are part of the "Old" Guard more so than the new as is Sharapova....... or at least they're transation. So if one of those two wins the french the new guard really hasnt taken over quite yet... Its a bit premature to call it new guard when they've yet to win a GS....

I mean how can you count Myskina as "old guard" and not Kuznetsova/ Sharapova. when they all popped on the scene the same time... and won grand slams the same year. which happened to be 1 year after Henins first...

starin
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
I say its not over yet... I mean Dementieva... Kuznetsova are part of the "Old" Guard more so than the new as is Sharapova....... or at least they're transation. So if one of those two wins the french the new guard really hasnt taken over quite yet... Its a bit premature to call it new guard when they've yet to win a GS....

I mean how can you count Myskina as "old guard" and not Kuznetsova/ Sharapova. when they all popped on the scene the same time... and won grand slams the same year. which happened to be 1 year after Henins first...

well Myskina came up at the same time as Serena. Hell they even played each other in qualies once in the late 90's. Kuznetsova and Sharapova didn't start their careers until Serena,et all were well into the middle of theirs.

LindsayRulz
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Excusez Moi..

But im 100% dissagre..

Sorry I dont!

Yea, I do. You have probably never seen the SW/Linds/Hingis etc generation at it's best :p. But good for you if you find the new generation of players exciting! :)

morningglory
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Was bound to happen...
But, since when have RG results been the indicator for the changing of the guard? If anything, RG is the slam which has created the most one-slam wonders and fluke finalists... (esp for the men...)
Venus and Serena are still very much in the mix... if one of them or Maria doesnt win Wimbledon I will be quite surprised

spec7er
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:56 AM
That was a great era but marred with early retirements and careers cut short by either injuries, burn out or pregnancy. The new guard seems to need fresher blood to compete with this previous era. Right now we have Sharapova, Ivanovic and Kuznetsova on a different level among their peers. It'd be interesting to watch who will be stepping up to the plate to contend in the slams as many of the players from the previous era decline.

No Name Face
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
womens tennis sucks. when dementieva and serena retire, i'm done following.

PLP
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
I Know.

Those stats are completely incredible though.

There is still hope that at least some of the players you mentioned will continue to play though, in truth, they are all still young enough to make successful comebacks Henin, Hingis, Kim, and Myskina are all under 27ish?), though they have been around forever...) if they Really feel like it. :angel:

At least we still have Serena, Venus, and MOMO!
I wonder if Mary will still attempt a comeback? I hope so!!!

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
well Myskina came up at the same time as Serena. Hell they even played each other in qualies once in the late 90's. Kuznetsova and Sharapova didn't start their careers until Serena,et all were well into the middle of theirs.

well i mean that may be the case, but its just random to throw myskina in the mix with the old guard and not the others. As yes.... She may have started with Serena... but hell Davenport started with Monica etc... she just didnt peak until the same time venus/ Hingis peaked who happened to peak much faster than she did....Capriati also started with Monica.... but she peaked in 01... I dont know i just think if Myskina's "Old guard" so is Kuznetsova/ Sharapova...

frontier
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:30 AM
1999-2007 was when women tennis mattered after the sisters retire womens tennis will go back to what it was then a sideshow to the mens tour.This was a period when women tennis overshadowed the mens tour and the likes of Sampras were complaining about the attention given to women's tennis.There were rivalries that were exciting and intense,now its just blah blah blah.
I remember 2000-2002 it was all women tennis making headlines the sisters were the superstars of tennis if they were not playing it will be a boring event and a financial loss.
I think the generation that will really takeover is the generation of the 16yr olds to 18yrs in three years they will be rocking the joint.

karimcartoon
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
yeah i miss the old tennis days. Now, all these new players are kind of boring to me.

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:55 AM
yeah i miss the old tennis days. Now, all these new players are kind of boring to me.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they're all so PC these days.... Cause they learned from Serena/ Venus/ Hingis etc.../ Have PR reps/ coaches...

The only new generation player who spoutes off at the mouth is jankovic who didnt have a coach... go figure....

I dont know back in the golden age there was bad blood....so when players took the court you knew they wanted it.. now adays... they lose walk off.. half the time they lose it doesnt even look like they try/ care....:sad:

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:37 AM

To be fair I included Myskina to make it 10 players. But technically she belongs to this group.
She won her first title in 1999 -- the same year as Serena, Kim, Justine, Amelie did it and only a year later than Venus won her first title. She became a top-player in 2002 -- a little bit earlier than Kuznetsova and Sharapova.

OZTENNIS
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
:worship: this thread...
Women's tennis is much more boring these days, and for several reasons...
1) The 'Old Guard' were distinguishable from one another, the average bloke on the street could tell you who the Williams sisters, Hingis, Davenport etc were. Nowadays, it would be difficult for them to separate Sharapova from Vaidisova, Azarenka etc who are all lesser versions of her.
2) The 'Old Guard' were from different places around the world, the Americans (Capriati, Davenport, Williamses), the Western Europeans (Hingis, Henin, Clijsters) and the Eastern Europeans, nowadays practically all the new breed are from Eastern Europe, and thus there is less worldwide interest
3) The 'Old Guard' had spice and charisma, Hingis vs Williamses on and off the court was always humourous...today, the most charisma you ever see is when Jankovic falls over or Yuri falls out of the stands...
4) Some fractions of the Old Guard clearly despised one another, and you always knew you were in for something special, now :zzz:
5) Fashion sense from some of them (no need to mention names was :hearts:), it's all the same now

You get my drift...women's tennis will be boring for the next few years, until Sharapova clones are no longer produced...really miss the players with touch and feel like Henin and Hingis

Serge007
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Sharapova clones are no longer produced
Cibulkova, Radwanska, Cornet, Golovin, Vaidisova, Ivanovic etc. are clones? Are you sure?
Sharapova easily separate from Vaidisova, Azarenko etc b/c she has 3 GS.

Tennisstar86
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Cibulkova, Radwanska, Cornet, Golovin, Vaidisova, Ivanovic etc. are clones? Are you sure?
Sharapova easily separate from Vaidisova, Azarenko etc b/c she has 3 GS.

lol...arent they like 16....

Cp6uja
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Before previous "new era" officialy started in 1997 only Mary Pierce reach some slam title and nobody else (now Maria already have three and Sveta one). Lindsay and Capriati like Olympic champions is already established WTA TOP players, but before 1997 any of them not reach slam final (Ivanovic reach once before 2008 - i dont want count Lena b/c she belong "old guard" or Bartoli which not belong to elite players, despite fact that i thinking that Iva Majoli deserved to be mentonued like member of old guard). All others players in 1997 when Hingins explode is still only big talents and nothing else - and i'm sure that many fans cry in that time because end of Graf, Seles, ASV, Sabatini, Conchita... era.

So give this new girls some time and i'm sure that we will also "cry" something after 2015 when this newest WTA era will be finished (Larry will try to sell us newest guard like "Glamour Era" of woman tennis for sure :p). Only real problem which i realy notice with this new girls is fact that all is from Europe - but fact is that Maria is already global superstar and Ivanovic is on good way to be also, and that make this problem less dangeruos + i'm still not ready to "deduct" Serena (old guard superstar) in next atleast 2-3 years (like Graf, Seles or ASV still won slams in 1998 or 1999) so USA have couple years to produce some WTA tennis star without big discontinue break with sisters and Lindsay. Also Eastern>>>Western "problem" in this case is not so big like seems in this times of globalism because for example Maria and Jelena residence is in Florida, Ivanovic in Suiss, Sveta is connected with Spain...etc so mostly of theirs is connected with west atleast same like with their native countries, and dont forget that many former ex-comunist countries like Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary which have right now very talented young TOP20/TOP30 players is already part of Europian Union and also some of west europian countries which never before have so big success in WTA past like Danmark, Austria or Portugal now have some very talented girls.

So welcome to the NEW ERA (enjoy, not cry ;))

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1160/862912581_e9d4825897.jpghttp://www.anaivanovic.com/image.php?file=pictures/news/1176/shot3_000033_03_rt.jpg&width=350&scale=aspect_ratio

DA FOREHAND
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Who's the brunette?

Calypso
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM

Nice analysis. I miss this group of players too. I hope another exciting group can emerge from the current crop of young players. There are players near the top that need to win Slams to seal their credentials as elite players.

Venus and Serena will still have a say, I hope, in who wins the majors, at least for the next 5 years. Much as they are unlikely to routinely appear in the finals like they used to, I think they'll still sneak the odd slam.

Direwolf
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
wow...

well...
i wouldnt really say that they have all been replaced..
we still have

Venus-Serena-Davenport
who could trash these young players...
and i mean destroy...

I say that if none of these players win a slam this year...
or none of them end in the top 3...
then...
they will be officially replace!!
hehe

Becool
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
you must be on your late 30s grandpa!

i'm 21 and i find this new guard baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawring

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
So,
who are "the new guard"?

Sharapova - check
Kuznetsova - check
Ivanovic - check
Jankovic - ?
Safina - ?
Chakvetadze - ?
Radwanska - ?

Polikarpov
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Who's the brunette?

Ivanovic

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Bump.
Looks like Venus and Serena both wanna stay on the scene a little bit longer :lol:

AndreConrad
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Bump.
Looks like Venus and Serena both wanna stay on the scene a little bit longer :lol:

I think it is a good thing. It is always better to have a mix of "old" and "new" than just "new", it makes it more interesting.

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:45 PM

The future is bleak. If Vaidisova decides to play well again and Golovin can walk on court without hurting herself they will also be part of this new guard and they have weapons that will make them bigger slam contenders than Radwanska, Cakvetadze and Cornet.

I too miss the old guard minus Hingis and Henin. They were both talented but Hingis bored me. (I have no problem with variety and players who can change pace but if your only paces are slow, slower and even slower than I'll pass.) Henin had a great game but I was never able to get pass RG 2003, AO 2004 and AO 2006 and I've never seen a player look to their coach as much she did. My biggest problem with Henin is I dont get the feeling that she felt sorry for some of the things she did and if the hand situation came again in a grand slam semi or final in a tight match on a big point I have no doubt she would it all over again.

frontier
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Ithink the so called old guard is very much alive and well especially Serena and Venus...probably Dementieva too for the next five years.I think another era will begin after they retire in five years or six.The present younger generation doesnt seem to have balls to be dominant.I think the player that can takeover at Wimbledon when Vee retires is Vaidisova her game is perfect for grass and as she grows older she will mature mentally to take over.Venus and Serena will deny the following players slams,POVA,ANA,JJ,SVETA AND CHAKKY.

JahooNYC
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:04 AM
:help:..oops wrong thread..sory

Golovinjured.
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:25 AM
The Old Guard left..

Serena
Venus
Dementieva
Davenport
Mauresmo
Schnyder
Pierce is coming back, we hope
Dokic :p

And for people to say the old guard is still around with Venus and Serena, I disagree. What I miss about the old guard was the rivalry, and that general aura - sure Venus and Serena are still here - but that aspect has gone, and no matter who they play now, it just doesn't feel the same. I love when those I mentioned still meet up in a tournament, just reminds me of a happier time LOL

The only players I'm looking forward to in the future that I can think of, besides Australians, is Radwanska :shrug:

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I think Radwanska will be a force to reckon with amongst the young guns.I think she will overshadow the Russians....:bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Glory days.

It will be missed. Enthralling rivalries, drama aplenty, and all of these dynamic personalities are what made this era so great.

...although it's not finished until the WS say goodbye :worship:

Go Williams!

I miss it :awww:

Vespertine69
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM
It's strange that people never seem to learn perspective. The era each person grew up with or really got into tennis through, is always going to seem like the golden age and when that person gets older and the scene changes, it is always going to seem like a change for the worse. The same principle exists in music, literature and other arts... for example, try taking a poll of people who grew up in the 60's and ask them if the music from their youth was better than the music of today... most will say that it was better back then, when in reality there is no factual truth either way... the music is different and so are they, but there's no defining truth or sense to the idea that music is somehow worse in any real terms. Also, it is worth noting that history often remembers quality and forgets dross... the brilliantly successful Beatles are remembered across the globe, but time has buried the memories of many more bands who were merely average. When those kids of the 60's are recalling the music of their youth, it is the glory moments and the enduring songs that are in their head as they think back, not the forgettable stuff that also surrounded them.

So... it's a debate that neither side can really win... the past is done, we have all changed since then and the face of the tour has changed too... either we accept it and change with the times and find enjoyment in the new, or we can cling to a highlights reel of the past and subconsciously edit out all the middle of the road that happened back there too. We can't prove or substantively argue that the past was better... it was different, and so were we... enjoy the present or move on to a new hobby! ;)

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:28 AM
the new era will arrive in five years

spiritedenergy
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:52 AM
it really is everything in perspective... what you call the old guard for me it's the new guard and 1997 is when I stopped to follow women tennis as much as I did before. For me the golden era is 1987-1996 (1994-1996 were unfortunate but i still followed them). I'm so glad that new players are taking the scenes now, it's as exciting as it was in 1987.

hingis-seles
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM

1998 RG - Monica vs Arantxa
1998 W - Jana vs Nathalie
2004 US - Sveta vs Lena D

alex14
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:27 AM
OH GOD!! so sad :(...i miss the raw bitchiness, cat fights, the different styles of tennis facing eachother....those were the days!!
Xx

eck
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Shouldn't Sveta be part of the 'new guard'? :o

I'd like to say Dinara is part of it though. But she still has much to prove.

Miss Amor
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
with this new guard..the wta might as well become a modeling agency

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Sveta,jj,vera and Hantukova are not exactly young in tennis they are considered middle aged in tennis years.Sveta nearly 24yrs,JJ nearly 24ys,Vera almost 24yrs,Bartoli 25 yrs,Hantukova 25yrs...the really young generation is the Aga,Cornet,Nicole,Szavay,Azarenka,Caroline and all other teens.

Lyndle_BE
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Cannot believe Hingis, Clijsters, Henin and Myskina have left before Lindsay :spit:

So true...