PDA

View Full Version : Maria has a tough road ahead, don't deny it!

LH2HBH
May 31st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Maria has a tough road ahead, don't deny it!

Let's have a quick analysis of her projected opponents for the next few rounds!

ROUND OF 16 - SAFINA, DINARA (13) - the mercurial Russian just beat two of the greatest players of all time (Henin, S Williams) en route to her first Tier 1 Title just a few weeks ago on the slow red clay at Berlin. She is red hot right now and arguably one of the dark horses of the tournament. She could easily be a surprise finalist at RG. Safina downed a 4th seeded Sharapova in the very same round at Roland Garros 2006.

QUARTERFINALS - DEMENTIEVA, ELENA (7) the runner up in 2004 does not have a great record against the Siberian Siren but they have not met on clay for years. Elena is very comfortable on the dirt and has an incredible ground game. If Maria is off her game, she could be easy pickings for the Muscovite.

SEMIFINALS - KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA (4) our 2006 RG Runner Up is a solid 4-4 against Maria. Svetlana has proven to be the one Russian that has truly challenged Maria's skills over the years and still does to this day. Kuznetsova won their last meeting at Indian Wells. They have never met on clay.

FINAL - JANKOVIC / IVANOVIC (??) It's looking pretty likely that she will have to meet one of the Serbs Sensations in the final. If she faces Ivanovic will we see a blowout repeat of last year's semifinal and a rematch of this years Australian Open? It will definitely be a different sorry on clay. She might hope to meet Jelena Jankovic instead, who she has a 4-1 record against. Although none of those are on clay and Jelena's smooth counter-punching game favours her on the read dirt.

THAT's MY ANALYSIS! Good Luck Masha with a tough second week!

Andreas
May 31st, 2008, 10:08 PM
Well she won't need that, as I think she will lose to Safina ...

Emina.
May 31st, 2008, 10:10 PM
If she beats Safina these haters will die :haha:

Cmon Masha! crush them all :rocker2:

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Starting in the 4th rd her draw is tough but that's to be expected. People were talking about her opening 3 matches. She was expected to destroy Rodina, Mattek and Knapp.

Also, we know how talented Safina, Dementieva/Zvonareva, Kuznetsova and Azarenka are, but they are all headcases. They have the ability to beat Sharapova on clay, or fold like a wet blanket.

Maria Croft
May 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
People were talking about how she had a bye to the finals, but somehow those same people say she's gonna lose to every girl left in her side of the draw.....figures ;)

Craig.
May 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
If she beats Safina these haters will die :haha:

Cmon Masha! crush them all :rocker2:

Yeah!

I can't believe how underestimated (or hated) Maria is around here. I actually think she has a pretty good chance (NO BIAS). She could lose, but she could very well win as well.

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 10:16 PM
Oh, well in that case, I think it's silly that some think she had a bye to the finals. She had easy opponents in her first 3 matches (in theory), but from here on out, her opponents should be tough. Whether they will actually give her tough matches is another story...

karimcartoon
May 31st, 2008, 10:22 PM
two words: Elena Dementieva

faboozadoo15
May 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
She'll certainly have to earn it... Just like she did in all the majors she's won before. Nothing new.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 31st, 2008, 10:24 PM
So much for her having a "bye" into the finals :lol:.

Good Luck Masha!! :bounce:

AnomyBC
May 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM
No question that the 4 remaining rounds would be extremely tough for her. She definitely has a chance of winning the tournament, but she's going to need to start playing a lot better than she's been playing (and maybe have some good luck too.) Hopefully she can pull it off though, because I'd much rather see her in the finals than Kuznetsova, Dementieva or Safina. I'm actually hoping for another Sharapova vs. Ivanovic final, cuz those are my 2 favorite players :hearts:

Anyway, I think if she can manage to beat Safina she'd have a good chance to beat Dementieva too, but beating Safina certainly isn't going to be easy. Ultimately, I think it's going to come down to my ability to root for her with great intensity. I think that's what put her over the edge in Australia, so hopefully it will work again this time :)

Slumpsova
May 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
Safina beats Freakpova 61 63 :dance:

Coffee&TV
May 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
I'm actually hoping for another Sharapova vs. Ivanovic final

Ditto! :devil:

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 31st, 2008, 10:37 PM
No doubt she has a tough road ahead.

But all of those players aren't mentally tough. Sharapova will be able to beat them if she plays decently because most of them probably don't think they can actually beat her.

Yes, Safina beat her in the same stage 2 years ago but now Safina has pressure on her because of her great week and Maria won the last slam and is trying to complete the career slam. I can't see Safina being strong enough to beat her. If Sharapova wins that match, then unfortunately I see her winning the title because all of her remaining opponents will be spoken off as being able to beat Sharapova and they will crack:(

Sean.
May 31st, 2008, 10:38 PM
I think it's a real achievement she battled her way this far, anything from now on she should see as a bonus.

joćo.
May 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
However people insisted that she got a cakewalk draw or something. :rolleyes:
GL Masha!! :D :D :D

Slumpsova
May 31st, 2008, 10:41 PM
However people insisted that she got a cakewalk draw or something. :rolleyes:
GL Masha!! :D :D :D
it's still an icing on the cake comparing to another half of the draw :rolleyes:

Willam
May 31st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Davai Safina :devil:

mboyle
May 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Starting in the 4th rd her draw is tough but that's to be expected. People were talking about her opening 3 matches. She was expected to destroy Rodina, Mattek and Knapp.

Also, we know how talented Safina, Dementieva/Zvonareva, Kuznetsova and Azarenka are, but they are all headcases. They have the ability to beat Sharapova on clay, or fold like a wet blanket.

Kuznetsova is not a head case against Sharapova. Against everyone else she is, but she always believes she can beat Maria. I think Maria can scrape by Safina and Dementieva because her game matches up well against them both. If she's playing amazingly badly and they're both on their games and don't choke, then obviously they will win, but Maria has a better than 50% chance in both those matches. She has about a 1 in 3 chance against Sveta, I think, but this is Ivanovic's tournament to lose.

mboyle
May 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
it's still an icing on the cake comparing to another half of the draw :rolleyes:

Maria would actually match up better on the other side of the draw because there's no Sveta.

Thieving Magpie
May 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
If she beats Safina, Dementieva and most importantly - Kuznetsova, who happens to choke only in finals but not in semifinals, then she must have improved so much that she can also win the final.

LH2HBH
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:25 AM
I for one am dreaming of a Jelena vs. Masha final! *sigh* dream on???