PDA

View Full Version : WTA/ITF/WTF - Akiko/Aiko Japanese Olympic Race "soup opera" case

Cp6uja
May 31st, 2008, 04:52 PM
By my calculations (if we ignore players which dont want to compete or is not TOP4 in their countries, or not play at FED CUP) for qualify to Beijing at timedeadline June 9 WTA list last TOP56 qualify player by rankings will have something between 400-450 pts (and ranked about 70 place). Japan right now have one sure competitor (Sugiyama) and two very close: Morigami (currently #69 with 437pts) and Nakamura (currently #71 with 427pts). Last year and this year both lose in 1st round of RG so they will have same number of points so if want some extra improvment they need to compete at some chalenger next week. Today i read this news:

Japan's Morigami match-fixing claims probed (http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_TENNIS/idUKT21486220080531)
Sat May 31, 2008 5:24pm BST

PARIS (Reuters) - Organisers of the French Open will investigate claims that Japan's Akiko Morigami was asked to throw a doubles match at the claycourt grand slam this week, the ITF said on Saturday.

Morigami accused a national team coach of asking her to deliberately lose the match as a defeat would boost partner Aiko Nakamura's chances of qualifying for the Beijing Olympics by freeing her up for a tournament next week, Jiji Press reported.

"The ITF takes this allegation very seriously and, with the grand slams and WTA Tour, has zero tolerance for any attempt to influence the outcome of a match," the International Tennis Federation (ITF) said in a statement.

"We will defer, for the present time, to the Roland Garros referee and the grand slam supervisors who will investigate this claim.

"It is especially disappointing for the ITF because even the suggestion of impropriety regarding the Olympic tennis event is contrary to the spirit of the Olympic Games."

The International Olympic Committee said they would not comment until they have all the details of the story.

Morigami, who lost the first-round match in question 6-0 6-1 to Taiwan's fourth seeds Chan Yung-jan and Chuang Chia-jung, told Japanese media: "That a coach would say that to me before a match was a shock.

"It was irritating and a big disappointment. It's a shame. I always try my best to win. That's not something you should say to an athlete. It's a real shame," said Morigami, who did not name the coach.

Japan's number three Nakamura, ranked 71 in the world, still has an outside chance of making the Olympic squad which will be selected via the world rankings published on June 9.

(additional reporting by Alastair Himmer; editing by Miles Evans)

:tape: :tape: :tape:

Wiggly
May 31st, 2008, 04:55 PM
So Nakamura tanked the Doubles? :help:

Experimentee
May 31st, 2008, 04:58 PM
No one cares about doubles anyway. Qualifying for Olympics is more important.

juki
May 31st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Very classy of Morigami to come forward :worship:

Boreas
May 31st, 2008, 05:01 PM
They would lose anyway:tape:

KanSuke
May 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM
They would still lose to Chan/Chuang if they did not tank.

Still love Morigami though. :)

Cp6uja
May 31st, 2008, 05:06 PM
No one cares about doubles anyway. Qualifying for Olympics is more important.Probably exactly that coach says to Morigami and Nakamura :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if Nakamura commit to play next week and Morigami not - she have nice chances to overtake her enough to qualify herself and maybe "disqualify" Morigami (b/c right now both is on the Olympics edge).

BTW... we all know their chances against 4th seeders if they played fair :devil:

anon57
May 31st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Pretty serious allegations if true

-sugi-
May 31st, 2008, 05:23 PM
Akiko has been injured lately unfortunately. :( A good thread from cp6uja though. :eek:

Farina Elia Fan
May 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM
Good on her for speaking out!!! :worship:

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Good on her for speaking out!!! :worship:

same thought here. I guess most asian athletes had not dared to criticize a coach of the national team!
Tennis needs strong, confident and educated women like Morigami:worship:

RND
May 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM
same thought here. I guess most asian athletes had not dared to criticize a coach of the national team!
Tennis needs strong, confident and educated women like Morigami:worship:
What does it have to do particularly with Asian? :o

As for the incident,it was quite a shame really.Love Akiko's truthfulness. :worship:

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 06:23 PM
What does it have to do particularly with Asian? :o

As for the incident,it was quite a shame really.Love Akiko's truthfulness. :worship:

well I guess the coaches in asia are known to be stricter and known to force a lot of pressure on players. Just look at the chinese national team and the incident with meng yuan etc.

Cp6uja
May 31st, 2008, 06:23 PM
Pretty serious allegations if trueWe all know this is truth - but i'm pretty sure that this will be more like Soup Opera than "serious case". It's remind me on last season ATP/WTA "BIG INVESTIGATION" about tennis betting scandals and match-fixing which is started with suspicious matches with strange results where (probably Russian mafia) put couple millions $$$ and at end finished with punishment of couple Italian players which is never involved in some "strange" results or bet at their matches and more lose than won on matches where they bet for couple Euros :tape:. Tennis like all other popular sports in modern time actualy need money from betting industry and of course they dont have so seriously investigation in that case - whatever they say at end...

Same organizations (WTA, ATP, ITF) which forced their players to play more matches and tournaments than players need now talking about "zero tollerence" about tanking matches or players calculations. We all know for example that two weeks before RG and one week after Henin anounce retirement all other TOP RG/08 contenders (except JJ which still not learn that strange word "calculations" :devil:) like Maria, Ana, Serena, Sveta... tanked Rome tournament to be better prepared and focussed for more important Paris. It's not nice of course, but also professional sport is cruel and players must protect their interests and priorities and they also know that "Zero tolerance" story is BS demagogy in reality... if WTA even try for some investigation against Maria, Ana:angel: or Serena for example b/c Rome "case" that will be bad for their images for sure and Nike, Adidas or Reebok will never forget WTA or Larry Scott for that damage and BTW Rome organizers is actualy very happy b/c this elite players commit to play - so who cares b/c they not played at their best (or simple withdraw after some round).

But here we have two Japanese girls which is not tennis superstars for sure and actualy nobody care will they play or not at Beijing - so it's nice chance for ITF or WTA to shows theirs high norms and principes, "zero tollerance" against all unsportlike things, etc... Also reasons for good "Soup Opera" here will be in specific case - "tanking" this doubles match is realy in good interest of one, but against interests of other player (which is also involved). I like Akiko passion to play in Beijing and protect their rights and talking in public about some taboo "public secrets". On other hand her action is direcly against her compatriot and double partner Aiko. And than we have impressive fast reaction of ITF with "Crusades" in announcement :lol:, and which make things there even more bizzare is fact that they "tanked" match against much better opponent which will beat them atleast 90%. :tape:

This maybe will be much interest story at end than seems right now!

*Jean*
May 31st, 2008, 06:26 PM
But Morigami & Nakamura played together no ? So no big changements in the doubles rankings as they both receive 2 points for this loss, no ?

CooCooCachoo
May 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks, that's a very interesting read.

CooCooCachoo
May 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
But Morigami & Nakamura played together no ? So no big changements in the doubles rankings as they both receive 2 points for this loss, no ?

The loss in doubles means that Nakamura is no longer in the competition at Roland Garros next week, which means she can play an ITF event then and can therefore score points that can get her a spot in the Olympics in singles.

fufuqifuqishahah
May 31st, 2008, 06:33 PM
i like this new Cp6uja, the one that talks about more than just Ana :D. In fact, it's not even about serbia or europe this time. it's about japan. :eek:

Anyways, it's so interesting to see Morigami be so bold in her accusations. Interesting, interesting.

*Jean*
May 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
The loss in doubles means that Nakamura is no longer in the competition at Roland Garros next week, which means she can play an ITF event then and can therefore score points that can get her a spot in the Olympics in singles.

Morigami can go play too, no ?!

Farina Elia Fan
May 31st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Morigami can go play too, no ?!

she obviously never entered the event

amirbachar
May 31st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Erakovic (448 points) is currently the last entry. If Suares reaches the quaters in RG she will overtake her, but Erakovic also play in Surbiton, so probably Chan will be out.
Nakamura needs to reach to the final. If Suares wins, she will probably need to Win Surbiton to qualify.
Of course some players might withraw or retire...

Cp6uja
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:52 AM
Erakovic (448 points) is currently the last entry. If Suares reaches the quaters in RG she will overtake her, but Erakovic also play in Surbiton, so probably Chan will be out.
Nakamura needs to reach to the final. If Suares wins, she will probably need to Win Surbiton to qualify.
Of course some players might withraw or retire...In this case actualy is only important Olympic "Match-Up" between Akiko and Aiko. With SF of that UK ITF 50K next week tournament Nakamura will overtake on june 9 WTA list Morigami - and that is WTA rank list which will be used for Beijing.

According to TBE ranking thread:

68. [452pts] - Anastassia Rodionova (RUS)
69. [448pts] - Yung-Jan Chan (TPE)
70. [448pts] - Marina Erakovic (NZL)
71. [438pts] - Edina Gallovits (ROU)
72. [437pts] - Ashley Harkleroad (USA)
73. [437pts] - Akiko Morigami (JPN)
74. [433pts] - Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) *still play at RG
75. [432pts] - Jill Craybas (USA)
76. [430pts] - Sabine Lisicki (GER)
77. [427pts] - Aiko Nakamura (JPN)

I'm in doubt that #77 will be enough for TOP56 by rankings, and Morigami chances like #73 is way better - but if she reach 50K SF (only 16pts but in this case that is BIG) next week she will be #71 with much better chances and Akiko will lose maybe for only one spot her Beijing place :tape:. So that Japanese coach not only forced her to "help" her doubles partner - he forced her to make less her chances to qualify to Beijing :( and also she obviously :fiery: b/c she probably never have some expirience like this ever before that coach of national team suggest you to tank match right before begin. Things is not so simple in this case especialy because Morigami, Nakamura, coach, WTA and ITF have different interests, priorities and point of view in this case so we will see what will happen at end.

spiceboy
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Are you people aware that SR are considered for this Olympics? Stosur (#36), Sequera (#50) and even Pierce (#27) if fit would be ellegible to play so players like Mauresmo or Erakovic would be out of the Olympics right now :eek:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:25 AM
so Morigami is pissed off bc now with the lose Nakamura will play challenger next week and overtake her in the ranking? :shrug:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:28 AM
well I guess the coaches in asia are known to be stricter and known to force a lot of pressure on players. Just look at the chinese national team and the incident with meng yuan etc.
i don't think so. CTA is different from other countries' system. i'm sure Sania would bash her coach if she think he is the reason why she is slumping right now.

Cp6uja
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
i don't think so. CTA is different from other countries' system. i'm sure Sania would bash her coach if she think he is the reason why she is slumping right now.National Team Coach and Personal Coach is not same thing.

Pasta-Na
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:52 AM
i don't think so. CTA is different from other countries' system. i'm sure Sania would bash her coach if she think he is the reason why she is slumping right now.

CTA helped tiantian/ting won a gold medal in 04 Olympics :o

How many Chinese girls in top 100 4 years ago? :scared:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM
CTA helped tiantian/ting won a gold medal in 04 Olympics :o

How many Chinese girls in top 100 4 years ago? :scared:
so what? did i question about CTA achievement? :rolleyes:
don't be a stupid drama queen.

Pasta-Na
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:12 AM
so what? did i question about CTA achievement? :rolleyes:
don't be a stupid drama queen.

"National Team Coach and Personal Coach is not same thing." >> "don't be a stupid drama queen" :lol:

xieergai
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:38 AM
love Morigami

Cp6uja
Jun 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Here is new moments in this case:
PARIS, June 2 (Reuters) - Japan's Akiko Morigami said she did not receive instructions from a coach to throw a doubles match at the French Open last week, the WTA said on Monday. Morigami had been widely reported in Japanese media as saying a national team coach had asked her to deliberately lose the match as a defeat would boost partner Aiko Nakamura's chances of qualifying for the Beijing Olympics by freeing her up for a tournament this week.

"I am aware of the media reports, and unfortunately, my comments were misunderstood," said Morigami in a statement released by the women's tour. "I never claimed that the coach asked me to throw the match. Regardless, we tried our best to win the match but we played a tough team and weren't able to beat them."

French Open organisers confirmed on Monday they would continue to investigate the comments while officials in Japan said they would launch a probe of their own.

"At this stage we are not really clear on who said what, but we will investigate the incident," Japan Tennis Association (JTA) managing director Koji Watanabe told Reuters on Monday.

"If it turns out a national coach did say that then it's a matter for the (JTA's) technical committee. It would be dangerous to make any decision before we have established the facts."

Morigami first made her comments after a 6-0 6-1 first-round defeat by Taiwan's Chan Yung-jan and Chuang Chia-jung in Paris last Friday. The International Olympic Committee said they would not comment until they had all the details of the story.

"It wasn't Nakamura's coach who said it," Morigami was quoted as saying by Japanese media.

"It was a different coach. I was angry because it's not something you say to a player before a match."

The Japanese number two added on her official blog (www.40love.jp/morigami/): "I'm sorry for the trouble my remarks have caused.

"But there should be no suspicion we didn't try our best."

Japan's number three Nakamura, ranked 71 in the world, still has an outside chance of making the Olympic squad, which will be selected via the world rankings published on June 9.

Like i predict - this "case" and "serious investigation" will be some kind of SOAP OPERA.

I'm personaly sure that Akiko and Aiko throw that match in doubles (despite fact that they will lose that match without tanking) because Nakamura needs to be rest before last chances to reach Beijing with good result next week at 50K ITF. But Morigami is pissed off because she is forced to "help" her compatriot working against herself (she is one of couple players which Nakamura have chances to overtake next week before Olympic ranking time-deadline). Also she is not happy because some of national coaches so directly bothered her right before match. So she give that statement b/c she is :fiery::mad: and want prevent cases like this in future...

But in meantime ITF and WTA finaly have some case after that "match-fixing" 2007 investigation farce to demonstrate their "principes", "zero tolerance"... etc... Also Japan media, tennis fans and public is not happy b/c no more players like Date or Sugiyama so they also want to see some blood here. So all is ready for CRUSADES against unfair players (Nakamura), immoral coaches (???) and corrupted organizations (JTA in this case).

So now when Akiko realize that things going way too far away than she want because it's now obviously her double partner Nakamura and that national coach is in dangeruos for suspension and JTA for big punishment (also JTA and Nakamura to prevent all that for sure make big pressure on Morigami to demand all) - now she try to deny all. I'm sure that she is not lie when give that first statement. Also i cant belive that she needs almost 5 days to realize that public and media misunderstood her correctly. She simple demand all after too big pressure from JTA and/or when notice that things going in too much wrong direction with all that "we want some blood" ITF/WTA or media "serious investigation" against all kind of "cheaters" in tennis. Thats how i see what happen here actualy. BTW Nakamura lose in 1st round of that ITF against Japanese opponent... i'm not be surprased if JTA forced her to lose because they have proof now that they not forced their girls to help others to reach Olympics (like i say - things going out of control with this "we want your blood" ITF/WTA investigation) :tape::tape:.

JujulCactus
Jun 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Aiko lose in the first round of Surbiton ...
The pressure was too strong for her :sad:
But for a lot of person that means there is no problem
Aiko will not win points ...

...Does it means that she will be not qualified for the olympics? :confused:

Rising Sun
Jun 5th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Here is new moments in this case:

Like i predict - this "case" and "serious investigation" will be some kind of SOAP OPERA.

I'm personaly sure that Akiko and Aiko throw that match in doubles (despite fact that they will lose that match without tanking) because Nakamura needs to be rest before last chances to reach Beijing with good result next week at 50K ITF. But Morigami is pissed off because she is forced to "help" her compatriot working against herself (she is one of couple players which Nakamura have chances to overtake next week before Olympic ranking time-deadline). Also she is not happy because some of national coaches so directly bothered her right before match. So she give that statement b/c she is :fiery::mad: and want prevent cases like this in future...

But in meantime ITF and WTA finaly have some case after that "match-fixing" 2007 investigation farce to demonstrate their "principes", "zero tolerance"... etc... Also Japan media, tennis fans and public is not happy b/c no more players like Date or Sugiyama so they also want to see some blood here. So all is ready for CRUSADES against unfair players (Nakamura), immoral coaches (???) and corrupted organizations (JTA in this case).

So now when Akiko realize that things going way too far away than she want because it's now obviously her double partner Nakamura and that national coach is in dangeruos for suspension and JTA for big punishment (also JTA and Nakamura to prevent all that for sure make big pressure on Morigami to demand all) - now she try to deny all. I'm sure that she is not lie when give that first statement. Also i cant belive that she needs almost 5 days to realize that public and media misunderstood her correctly. She simple demand all after too big pressure from JTA and/or when notice that things going in too much wrong direction with all that "we want some blood" ITF/WTA or media "serious investigation" against all kind of "cheaters" in tennis. Thats how i see what happen here actualy. BTW Nakamura lose in 1st round of that ITF against Japanese opponent... i'm not be surprased if JTA forced her to lose because they have proof now that they not forced their girls to help others to reach Olympics (like i say - things going out of control with this "we want your blood" ITF/WTA investigation) :tape::tape:.
If they really tanked that match, do you think Akiko would have still had the confidence to come out accusing the coach? No way... :rolleyes:

I don't think Aiko even knew the coach spoke to Akiko. Aiko mentioned on her blog that she would've never entered doubles in the first place if she was only hoping to 'lose' her 1R match. $$$ isn't an issue for her, either.

ex hopman
Jun 5th, 2008, 03:35 AM
lost in translation (well, addition in translation)

akiko never mentioned about the olympics during her interview.
she just showed her anger that one of the japan's national coaches told her "you shouldn't win the match" (he was concerned about akiko's knee).
what akiko was pissed was no one should tell players like that before the match.
some of the foreign (non-japanese) media translated into english and "added" some of these stories.
investigation is done by now.

kittyking
Jun 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Are you people aware that SR are considered for this Olympics? Stosur (#36), Sequera (#50) and even Pierce (#27) if fit would be ellegible to play so players like Mauresmo or Erakovic would be out of the Olympics right now :eek:

If Marina wins tomorrow (:scared:) then she should get in, otherwise I think shes 1 out :scared::scared::scared:

RND
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:30 AM
If Marina wins tomorrow (:scared:) then she should get in, otherwise I think shes 1 out :scared::scared::scared:
And if she wins,she just pushes Chan out by 1 spot. :crying2:

kittyking
Jun 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM
And if she wins,she just pushes Chan out by 1 spot. :crying2:

Once you take into account Sequera and Stosur then 1st Alt is actually Kateryna Bondarenko, with Yung-Jun and Marina 2nd and 3rd respectively.

If Marina makes the quarters this week then she moves ahead of Yung-Jun, if Marina makes the semis she moves ahead of Kateryna.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=345158

:crying2:

JujulCactus
Jun 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM

she just showed her anger that one of the japan's national coaches told her "you shouldn't win the match" (he was concerned about akiko's knee).
what akiko was pissed was no one should tell players like that before the match.
some of the foreign (non-japanese) media translated into english and "added" some of these stories.

:eek: That's right ?

Cp6uja
Jun 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
akiko never mentioned about the olympics during her interview.Since start Olympic Race is background of whole story.

Morigami accused a national team coach of asking her to deliberately lose the match as a defeat would boost partner Aiko Nakamura's chances of qualifying for the Beijing Olympics by freeing her up for a tournament next week, Jiji Press reported.
"It is especially disappointing for the ITF because even the suggestion of impropriety regarding the Olympic tennis event is contrary to the spirit of the Olympic Games."
Japan's number three Nakamura, ranked 71 in the world, still has an outside chance of making the Olympic squad which will be selected via the world rankings published on June 9.
...Difference between Morigami and Nakamura is only 10 pts and both is on edge to qualify to Beijing because when we not count about 15-20 players which dont want to compete, or dont have right to compete (b/c FED CUP rule) or their country have atleast 4 better ranked players - worse ranked of TOP56 players which qualify by rankings will be ranked something about 70-75 place on next monday WTA ranking (which will be used like finite for Olympics).

If Marina wins tomorrow (:scared:) then she should get in, otherwise I think shes 1 out :scared::scared::scared:Actualy nobody knows exactly how many better ranked players than Erakovic will not compete in Beijing. On TBE list she is already #71 which is maybe already enough for qualify, and with good result at that ITF which she compete this week she have chances to improve more (about 5 places!). BTW you must to know that because nobody from New Zealand not compete in this century at Olympics tennis tournaments and nobody from ATP or WTA dont have any chances to qualify this time (except Marina) - Erakovic if not qualify by rankings is probably "sure bet" to recive one of 8 WTA Olympics Wilde Cards. Especialy after Amanmuradova and Arvidsson is now sure for Beijing Marina if not qualify by rankings will be by far best ranked player from countries which any other player is not qualify.

Rising Sun
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Thanks for clarifying. :)

Makes a lot of sense now. The Olympics had nothing to do with it in the first place, and the media simply made-up that background story.

The whole issue was with Akiko's knee...

Cp6uja
Jun 5th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for clarifying. :)

Makes a lot of sense now. The Olympics had nothing to do with it in the first place, and the media simply made-up that background story.

The whole issue was with Akiko's knee... My English is not best, but i think that term which is used in cases like this is "EXIT STRATEGY"...

Did you realize how far things go in "wrong direction" after all that IOC, ITF and WTA statements about "serious investigation" or "zero tolerance"??? Long time suspension for Nakamura and national coach, big punishment and scandal for JTA and huge (international level) shame and scandal for whole Japanese Olympic Committee and sports officials just two months before summer Olympics!?

So official story NOW is that one of Japanese national coaches suggest Akiko to not "tire" too much in that doubles b/c her knee injury, not because Aiko needs to be rest for next week tournament (last chance for Beijing) :rolleyes:. Scandal and whole case will be by far too big than Akiko predict when give that statement so she now deny whole story. That's happen here (SOAP OPERA!).