PDA

View Full Version : Olga Govortsova-how does she play?

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
I guess I should have posted this earlier, but I'd like to know more about this Govortsova, who just got bageled by Dementieva on clay. Now Dementieva has been playing well recently, but the fact that Govortsova couldn't hold serve or break serve in the first set doesn't impress me too much. After set 1, Govortsova has won only 8 points to Dementieva's 25 points! :eek: Does Govortsova just suck, or is this a bad day for her?

Viktymise
May 31st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Poor man's Azarenka.

Fidello
May 31st, 2008, 02:53 PM
she suck

Babolatpro880
May 31st, 2008, 02:53 PM
It's probably a bad day for her not to even win a game, but I'm not surprised Dementieva is winning. Govortsova is tall and hits the ball hard, but she doesn't move well and doesn't have much variety. Plus she has a bad attitude. She's got talent but she hasn't been as good this year as she was the second half of last year.

patch.
May 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
She got double bageled in Berlin to Kleybanova (Rk64) :)

Petkorazzi
She has no big arms, she's consistant. Got DBed by Kleybanova a few weeks ago. Will always struggle against hard hitters.

Dexter
Poor man's Azarenka.Not even close... she bashes the ball as hard as possible without any thought.

faboozadoo15
May 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Not well :tape:

Viktymise
May 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Not even close... she bashes the ball as hard as possible without any thought.

Her stroke production is pretty similar that that of Azarenka.

She has a crap serve and has sub-par movement.

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM
she hits hard and deep but not consistent enough. her serve is no weapon at all.
she's a slower version of dementieva with less variety.

ViennaCalling
May 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Not well :tape:

At least we have once the same opinion :o

RenaSlam.
May 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Shit serve = not going anywhere.

Derek.
May 31st, 2008, 03:00 PM
She's not even hitting the ball that hard.

Is she trying to be consistent? :unsure:

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM
yeah and she has that benesova attitude "I don't care whether I win or lose".

ASP0315
May 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM
hard hitter but poor serve and bad movement.
but the match ain't over she is fighting back.

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM
well now she has played some excellent shots:eek: that drop volley was just unique!

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM
thanks for the comments, everyone-so basically it's no surprise that she got pummeled by Elena in the first set. Ironically, since I made this post, Govortsova and Dementieva are 2-2 in the 2nd set...

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm watching it online on eurosport player, but I think it is not available in Brazil.

faboozadoo15
May 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
OMFG, what an inadvertent jinx thread! She's woken up!

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
thanks for the comments, everyone-so basically it's no surprise that she got pummeled by Elena in the first set. Ironically, since I made this post, Govortsova and Dementieva are 2-2 in the 2nd set...

:lol:

gooo olgaaaaaaaaaaaa:)
I'm a fan of hers btw, I love hard hitters but it is so tough to be a fan of a hard hitter at times:tape::sad::lol:

ASP0315
May 31st, 2008, 03:07 PM
watching TTC stream olga is producing some good tennis now. :lol:

ASP0315
May 31st, 2008, 03:08 PM
:lol:

gooo olgaaaaaaaaaaaa:)
I'm a fan of hers btw, I love hard hitters but it is so tough to be a fan of a hard hitter at times:tape::sad::lol:

I'm with you too.
I love hard hitters but yeah they frustrating to watch.

Babolatpro880
May 31st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Seeing her again right now, her serve should be at least 10-15 mph harder than it is given her height. She doesn't even extend out all the way at impact.

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks again everyone-the station I'm watching just switched on to this match. Govortsova has really good groundies, but as everyone noted, her movement and serve aren't that great. Some interesting points between Olga and Elena though...

ASP0315
May 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Seeing her again right now, her serve should be at least 10-15 mph harder than it is given her height. She doesn't even extend out all the way at impact.

yes it takes practice in order to hit big serves regularly. Being tall doesn't automatically mean big serves. it takes practice.

Babolatpro880
May 31st, 2008, 03:23 PM
yes it takes practice in order to hit big serves regularly. Being tall doesn't automatically mean big serves. it takes practice.

What I'm saying is she doesn't use her height effectively enough. Players at this level have had plenty of practice. It comes down to technique. Govortsova could use a toss that's a little further out in front and better extension at impact.

*Jean*
May 31st, 2008, 04:02 PM
She sucks...She doesnt have a brain on the court, and seems about to cry at any moment. She doesnt even hit hard :lol:

Corswandt
May 31st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Olga Govortsova-how does she play?

Clean, solid hitter off both sides, not overwhelmingly powerful but reasonably consistent.

Decent movement and footwork for her size, excellent reflexes (in all the matches I saw from her, she handled balls that landed right at the baseline and at her feet superbly).

Her serve wins her no free points (at all), but then again it doesn't provide her opponents with any puffballs to whack away; it's never big but it's also very seldom attackable. I believe her serve is designed for competition at a lower level, where something as apparently trivial as one's serve not being a liability can make a huge difference. But for the big stage, she really does need to get some more bite in it.