PDA

View Full Version : Who will win, Maria or Dinara?

goldenlox
May 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Both undefeated on red clay this year. Maria just served her 1st bagel while Dinara struggled to close out Jie in 2. Maria is 30-2 this year, Dinara won Berlin

Kworb
May 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Dinara in 2

Aravanecaravan
May 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Safina's game is in better form, but Maria is tougher mentally. Probably a tight three setter.

Sharapowerr
May 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Maria will win and will get to the final as i said before, she plyed quit good in the fist set 2 day and great in the second, if she can improve a little she can win this years RG even she s not really a clay court player..

mon72
May 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM
i hope Dina

sasha&tennis
May 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Dinara will win. Maria is no match for her on clay.

miura
May 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
I honestly think Maria will raise her game even more than she did today and take it.

RenaSlam.
May 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Dinara has beaten Maria before on clay, and was not playing like she is now.

Dinara in two.

Hashim.
May 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
depends on Maria..imo

The Daviator
May 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
Sharapova 6-4 6-3

Sharapowerr
Maria in 2

Iceland
Dinara won't do the same mistakes than Knapp. She will get through in straights but it won't be as easy as it should.

Craig.
May 31st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sharapova 6-4 6-3

Seriously? :eek:

adrovi
May 31st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Dinara in 3

The Daviator
May 31st, 2008, 12:45 PM

That's what will happen :shrug:

Poova
May 31st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Maria will raise her level even further and win. :D

And yes, I'm biased, so what. :o

Lucas_Arg
May 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
I honestly think Maria.

C. Drone
if not Dina, the universe will collapse. :tape:

Alex72
Safina has more than enough game to do the job but given the occasion you have to favor the world #1 and 3 time slam champion.

selesbooz
Dinara has beaten Maria before on clay, and was not playing like she is now.

Dinara in two.

Maria has beaten her on clay too. :wavey:
At least she didn't lose in the 3rd round:lol::help:
Go Masha:hearts:

LDF
I hope and think Maria will win.

Mashafaaaaan

If Sharapova play like she did in the seocnd set against Knapp, she can win in straights sets, Safina can't move very well, even Zheng could win the second set but she made too many errors; anyway Maria in straights, serve is back and return of serves too.

Sharapowerr
Maria in 7-5 6-3

morningglory
May 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Dinara didnt play that well today, but Maria has been improving... still... her serve is crap.
3 sets to whoever

Craig.
May 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM
That's what will happen :shrug:

I hope and think that she'll win as well, but not THAT easily.

Iceland
May 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
if not Dina, the universe will collapse. :tape:
It's really what I'm thinking. Sharapova going further in the tournament would a disaster for tennis, she is mentally so strong that it prevails on her miserable clay court game. Please Dinara, play in your style and you will get through easily.

mckyle.
May 31st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Sharapova. Probably pretty easily.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 31st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Either Maria in easy straight sets or Dinara one set down and win the next two(just like in Berlin against Ju and Serena).;)

I really want Dinara to win but you know :shrug: Maybe she's still :weirdo: when facing players like Maria who's mentally tough as always.:o

Keaka
May 31st, 2008, 12:53 PM
Safina 75 63 or something like that.

You can just see that Sharapova's big groundstrokes don't work on red clay, today in first set against Knapp she played quite good and Knapp could run everything down. And Safina's forehand spin should work here against Sharapova

jamatthews
May 31st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Either Maria in easy straight sets or Dinara one set down and win the next two(just like in Berlin against Ju and Serena).

I agree. I think Sharapova could start out ALOT stronger than people expect. However if she lets it get into a 3 set bitchfight Safina will come out on top.

faboozadoo15
May 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Dinara will win. Maria is no match for her on clay.

Funny, because Maria has beated Dinara on red clay, and Dinara's best win at a major came over Maria when Maria was injured and held a 5-1 third set lead. :rolleyes:

Pova has too much chutzpah for Safina, IMO. I think she'll find a way to win. This match really depends on Maria and how she's able to dictate.

Sefo
May 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Maria!
Dinara is quite heavy and I saw she had problems with Zheng's powerful strokes today.
If Maria turn it on she'll win that.

Cp6uja
May 31st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Maria >>> Maria at Clay
Dinara at Clay >> Dinara
-----------------------------------------
Dinara at Clay > Maria at Clay

-NAJ-
May 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM
I hope Maria, but Dinara is very good and Maria is not playing well this week

LudwigDvorak
May 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM
I love how Dinara has her FIRST mini-struggle of the tournament (still won in straights) at the same time Maria gets her first straight sets win over a worthless opponent and Maria's the heavy favorite now.

I give Maria a chance in any match, any stage, against anyone, but I still think this is Dinara's match to lose, unless Super Sharapova comes out tomorrow.

AnnaK_4ever
May 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Unless Dinara goes completely :silly: she should win this in straights.

anon57
May 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
If Maria is able to dictate play, keep her serve percentage up and the errors to a minimum I think she'll win, otherwise Dinara has a good shot

tennisbear7
May 31st, 2008, 01:14 PM
I honestly expect Sharapova to win.

Too much for Dinara.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sharapova lost though. Dinara's return should cause more than a few double faults from Maria.

mckyle.
May 31st, 2008, 01:16 PM
I love how Dinara has her FIRST mini-struggle of the tournament (still won in straights) at the same time Maria gets her first straight sets win over a worthless opponent and Maria's the heavy favorite now.

Maria's been the heavy favorite since the draw came out. Safina is a loon.

frenchie
May 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Dinara easily

Maria's game on clay is a joke

BartoliBabes
May 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
dinara will silence sharapova, and roland garros will be a more tranquil place for it

joão.
May 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Maria, hopefully. :x

lilimi
May 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
I hope dina :unsure: maria has an awfull start of the tournament, but usually GS winners have won difficult matches before winning the title...:unsure: but logics say dinara : she has all the weapons to beat sharapova.

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Dinara easily

Maria's game on clay is a joke

And she still win, poor hater:rolleyes:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 31st, 2008, 01:21 PM
since its just a 4th rd match and not any further i don't expect a choke from dina so i pick her...she's beaten masha before in the 4th rd so it won't be a strange thing for her to do...

Mikey.
May 31st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Sharapova 6-4 6-3

I was thinking that too. :eek: Such a bold prediction by The Daviator. I hope it is true. But I'm not kidding myself here. Unless Dinara comes out spraying heaps of balls out and is not so confident, Maria will most likely lose.

LudwigDvorak
May 31st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Maria's been the heavy favorite since the draw came out. Safina is a loon.

She is, but Safina was always going to be Maria's biggest struggle. Unless Dementieva, Zvonareva, or Kuznetsova give amazing performances against a sub par Sharapova, this is Maria's tournament for the taking.

Get past Dinara, she basically has the grand slam in her collection. But I'm not convinced she will. There's still next year at least if she doesn't.

faboozadoo15
May 31st, 2008, 01:26 PM
She is, but Safina was always going to be Maria's biggest struggle. Unless Dementieva, Zvonareva, or Kuznetsova give amazing performances against a sub par Sharapova, this is Maria's tournament for the taking.

Get past Dinara, she basically has the grand slam in her collection. But I'm not convinced she will. There's still next year at least if she doesn't.

I'd love to think that Safina is Maria's last hurdle to the title, but Elena or Vera are VERY tough opponents on clay, as are Sveta and the Serbs especially.

Hell, there's still Azarenka :scared: She's dropped 6 games in 3 matches.

Blu€
May 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Dinara it's your golden chance, don't choke please!

sasha&tennis
May 31st, 2008, 01:28 PM

She did at the 2007 US Open to Radwanska and she was the defending champ. Personally I think that was a bigger loss than Venus & Serena losing on the red clay. Safina has beaten Sharapova on the red clay before and her form is even better this year.

:rolleyes: That was a low statement even for you.

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 01:33 PM
She did at the 2007 US Open to Radwanska and she was the defending champ. Personally I think that was a bigger loss than Venus & Serena losing on the red clay. Safina has beaten Sharapova on the red clay before and her form is even better this year.

:rolleyes: That was a low statement even for you.

Radwanska is a tough opponent, top 15 .
She beat Kuz during OZ this year unlike Srebotnik who never beat top players in GS except Serena:tape: same thing for Venus, she lost against Penneta, OMG:lol::help:

faboozadoo15
May 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Sharapova has toughed it out against a lot of good claycourt players already this year. She needs to think of this as just one more. If she ups her level, I can't see why she can't get the best of Dinara.

You people act like Dinara shoots lazers out her eyeballs and that Maria is the only one who makes unforced errors.

.Andrew.
May 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Dinara in straights. :)

G&R
May 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM
dinara

TheBoiledEgg
this is Dinara's to lose
Dinara plays without any brainfarts it wont be close

beriadan
Maria.

LudwigDvorak
Sharapova has toughed it out against a lot of good claycourt players already this year. She needs to think of this as just one more. If she ups her level, I can't see why she can't get the best of Dinara.

You people act like Dinara shoots lazers out her eyeballs and that Maria is the only one who makes unforced errors.

There's a distinct difference between Safina /// Cibulkova, Bondarenko, and Medina Garrigues. Schnyder is the only one on Safina's level, and what do you know, she was the closest to actually beating Maria.

She's played solid players on the clay this year, but lost to Serena and would've likely lost to Jankovic (regardless of injury or no injury). Safina has to prove herself of course, and hey, she probably won't, but she has a better chance at it than most of the other players.

And about the Serbians--I'll take Maria over either of them in any slam final.

Mikey.
May 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM

:spit: What? :haha:

bandabou
May 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hmmm....toughie. Maria's soo tough, keeps winning those difficult matches...that gives you confidence. That said: at some point you'll get punished for so many df's and bad serving. Knapp exposed something today: hit deep to Maria's backhand and she struggles. We'll see.

ASP0315
May 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Dinara in three
book it.

Marshmallow
May 31st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Dinara should win... easily. Just hope she can produce some good tennis... If both play their best (How dinara has been playing on clay..) should be a double bagel! :D

Dawson.
May 31st, 2008, 01:55 PM
sharapova 6-4, 4-6, 6-4

joão.
May 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Dinara should win... easily. Just hope she can produce some good tennis... If both play their best (How dinara has been playing on clay..) should be a double bagel! :D

If Maria plays her best she will double bagelled by Dinara Safina playing her best? :lol::lol::lol:
I can def. see Dinara win it because of Maria's poor play on the past matches and Dinara's been playing better than Dinara usually plays and i'ts clay. :rolleyes:

Marshmallow
May 31st, 2008, 02:04 PM
If Maria plays her best she will double bagelled by Dinara Safina playing her best? :lol::lol::lol:

Yes - Dinara on Clay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *cough* >>>>>>> Maria on clay.

Did you see Dinara against Jie... :eek:. That second set was :bowdown:, and Jie is a better mover than Maria. Dinara has been making like 0 unforced errors... if she can keep that up - well, I think you need to get yourself an oxygen tank or something, because she is going to violate Maria in unspeakable ways. Don't be surprised to see Yuri walking out and Maria whimpering and hyperventilating before the end. :tape: I fear at the end of the match, Maria will be so embarassed she won't even leave the court, she say a little prayer and bury herself in the clay.

joão.
May 31st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Yes - Dinara on Clay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *cough* >>>>>>> Maria on clay.

Did you see Dinara against Jie... :eek:. That second set was :bowdown:, and Jie is a better mover than Maria. Dinara has been making like 0 unforced errors... if she can keep that up - well, I think you need to get yourself an oxygen tank or something, because she is going to violate Maria in unspeakable ways. Don't be surprised to see Yuri walking out and Maria whimpering and hyperventilating before the end. :tape: I fear at the end of the match, Maria will be so embarassed she won't even leave the court, she say a little prayer and bury herself in the clay.

:rolleyes: last part

c0bra
May 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Maria will win in straight sets :)

Topspin2
May 31st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Dinara in 2 sets ;)

matpaw88
May 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Dinara. Maria:lol::help:

ViennaCalling
May 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hopefully Maria :o

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 02:28 PM
The match could really go either way, because Safina is a total nutjob. If Safina is dialed in and playing well, she'll win in straights, but can we count on that?

Personally, I hope Safina demolishes Sharapova and sends her out of the tournament. For Sharapova, this is the first power player she's faced all tournament long, so if she doesn't serve well, Safina will give her hell.

Davai Safina-crush Sharapova please!!

kadirelf
May 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Dinara 6-3 6-0

debby
May 31st, 2008, 02:48 PM
If Sharapova play like she did in the seocnd set against Knapp, she can win in straights sets, Safina can't move very well, even Zheng could win the second set but she made too many errors; anyway Maria in straights, serve is back and return of serves too.

Are you kidding me ?

Knapp was AWFUL in the second set :tape: she was making so much unforced errors. It is easier to seem more strong than before when your opponent collapses...

I really hope Safina will win. She has the game and the toughness. (don't laugh, she has defeated Henin and Serena back-to-back on clay after she had lost the first set... Nobody has ever done that, except Kim, and that was on hard)

Maria doesn't slide on clay, she doesn't know how to move, and against Safina, it is necessary to move decently :help:
Maria hasn't played convincingly IMO.

ASP0315
May 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Are you kidding me ?

Knapp was AWFUL in the second set :tape: she was making so much unforced errors. It is easier to seem more strong than before when your opponent collapses...

I really hope Safina will win. She has the game and the toughness. (don't laugh, she has defeated Henin and Serena back-to-back on clay after she had lost the first set... Nobody has ever done that, except Kim, and that was on hard)

Maria doesn't slide on clay, she doesn't know how to move, and against Safina, it is necessary to move decently :help:
Maria hasn't played convincingly IMO.

100 % agree with you.

améliemomo
May 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
you can not be serious!sharapova winner of this match??

when you struggle against low ranked players like she did,you cannot beat such a quality player as safina who is really playing good since the first day there.

Dinara in 2 easy sets.

serenus_2k8
May 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Radwanska is a tough opponent, top 15 .
She beat Kuz during OZ this year unlike Srebotnik who never beat top players in GS except Serena:tape: same thing for Venus, she lost against Penneta, OMG:lol::help:

Hardcourt is one of Marias strongest surfaces, and Clay is easily the WS weaknesses.

Safina in straights.

Wilson_07
May 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
if she has a good day maria can beat anybody on any surface, but dinara will fight till the last point and is very dangerous on clay. i think dinara wins in...let's say 3 sets

DownTheLine21
May 31st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Despite Sharapova's atrocious form (which was still evident in her match today), I don't think this match is as clear-cut as others do. Safina can still be unpredictable. Nonetheless, I think she'll win in two tight sets. If Safina does win, it's odd to think that she'll have another win over a No. 1 player so quickly after defeating Henin a few weeks ago.

Shoulderpova
May 31st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Maria needs to step it up if she wants to win. Her chance of winningis as big as Dinara's. Period!:)

alfonsojose
May 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Dinara will be COWned :devil: 0-6, 7-6(15),7-6(0) :yeah:

Mikey.
May 31st, 2008, 03:32 PM

Imagine if that is actually the score :unsure::help::lol:

A'DAM
May 31st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Lil Sis all the way!!!

Emina.
May 31st, 2008, 04:06 PM
I hope Maria ..:)

Maria in 3 tough sets.

Michael!
May 31st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Dinara should win this, Maria´s first matches weren´t very impressive :tape:
But I hope Dinara is strong enough to handle the pressure, but she already won againt Maria 2 years ago....so I think she will win again ;)

Slutati
May 31st, 2008, 04:17 PM
I hope and pray it's Dinara, but I have a bad feeling Mashara might win this one:unsure::scared:

CrossCourt~Rally
May 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM
:rocker2:Maria in a 3 set thrilla ! :p

@Sweet Cleopatra
May 31st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Maria will win ... God bless her ..

DragonFlame
May 31st, 2008, 04:25 PM
safina should win, but if this ends up being a long tough match maria will take it. Mentally she's 10 times tougher. She's still the favourite to take the title. If she goes through safina she will win.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 31st, 2008, 04:42 PM
At the moment, Dinara can easily crush Maria on clay.

But knowing Dinara is a bit of a headcase, if something doesn't go her way, Maria will win this....

gmokb
May 31st, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have a feeling Safina will take this:scared: but what the hell do I know, my feelings had the WS winning their matches yesterday.:sad:

Juarito
May 31st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Please Dinara make this cow go to where she belongs, the grass :lol:

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 05:27 PM

No tiebreak in the third set.

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hardcourt is one of Marias strongest surfaces, and Clay is easily the WS weaknesses.

Safina in straights.

Oh please, Venus lost against pathetic players on hardcourts too, Oz 2006, she lost against Pironkova:rolleyes:
Maria was injured so I understand this defeat, she made only UE, and DF:rolleyes:

LUVMIRZA
May 31st, 2008, 05:57 PM
Safina in 2 probably :kiss:

LUVMIRZA
May 31st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Maria's gonna find it really difficult reaching Dinara's drop shopts!! Dinara pls this is ur chance to take the crown :yeah:

Mikey B
May 31st, 2008, 06:10 PM
this could be a terrific match! its both players best chance to win this event, or at least make the final... maria seemed to wake up today, while dinara fell off her high form for a short while, so if they play well this could be the match of the year! i think previous meetings go out the window with this one, its just going to be about who plays best on the day...

rose575
May 31st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Dinara, I am always on the under dogs side and she is playing good tennis.

AnDyDog621
May 31st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Dinara in 2 sets. I voted for the wrong person to win in the poll. Can I change my vote to Dinara?

starin
May 31st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Maria.
Dinara will come out and play like crap cuz she's not a big match player.

Marcelo.
May 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Dinara in two, i hope !

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Safina please lay the smackdown on Sharapova's annoying self.

Escape
May 31st, 2008, 07:06 PM
Dinara in 2 sets

SharapovaFan16
May 31st, 2008, 07:06 PM
Maria.
Dinara will come out and play like crap cuz she's not a big match player.

This is what I was thinking. Dinara doesn't usually show up for the big matches. She's a mental midget like her brother. If she wants to win she better make it 2 sets. I like Maria's chances a whole lot better if it goes 3.

Emina.
May 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM
This is what I was thinking. Dinara doesn't usually show up for the big matches. She's a mental midget like her brother. If she wants to win she better make it 2 sets. I like Maria's chances a whole lot better if it goes 3.

She played great against Serena and Justine in Berlin. She beat Maria 2006 RG and Maria was the choker in that match not Dinara.

Head: Dinara in 2.
Heart: Maria in 3.

sweetpeas
May 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Maria...Sorry,,,but they don"t play Maria like they play the sisters...That"s my take on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SharapovaFan16
May 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
She played great against Serena and Justine in Berlin. She beat Maria 2006 RG and Maria was the choker in that match not Dinara.

Head: Dinara in 2.
Heart: Maria in 3.

That's the thing if Maria puts any kind of pressure on Safina she is going to unravel. Atleast thats how I see it. Pova just needs to make things difficult on her and she should be fine. I'm watching Maria's 3rd round match now and she really isn't in that bad of form. Even in the first set she had 20 winners to 18 UE's.

Topspin2
May 31st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Dinara have more 60% :lol:

améliemomo
May 31st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Please Dinara make this cow go to where she belongs, the grass :lol:

:haha::haha::haha:

its strange how people forgot how well safina handled the matchs against henin,S.Williams and Dementieva and beat them back to back:rolleyes:
she got broken today by jie zheng ok but she managed to close this match in 2 sets though.And Zheng is a much better mover than sharapova so:p

Shvedbarilescu
May 31st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Not only does Dinara have 63% of the votes but almost all the folks on this forum whose opinions I hold in the most regard have gone with Dinara. No surprise really. Anyone who follows and understands tennis can recognise that one of these girls is playing extremely well and the other quite simply is not.

Dinara in two.

AnomyBC
May 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Logically Safina should win this based on how they've been playing. She's only lost 12 games so far and Maria has lost 29. But Maria's definitely got a chance. They've played each other on clay twice before and Maria did very well in those matches. She won the first one and the 2nd time, which was the 2006 French, she lost in a very close 3 set match. So it's not like Safina's been dominating her on clay or anything. And Safina is having a great season on clay so far, but so is Maria. Anyway, I actually picked Maria in the poll, but I think Safina definitely has the edge on paper. But yeah... trying to be hopeful here cuz I'm definitely rooting for Maria :)

hablo
May 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM
I voted for Safina.

But it really all depends on whether Oafette shows up or not. :o

Alex72
May 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM
These "votes" here surely have minimal credibility as they must often get tainted based on who the respondent wants to win. Surely many are eager to see Sharapova lose for any number of reasons, if only for the sake of their favs still in the draw. Maria is no doubt the most mentally tough of the bunch. Safina could well do it, but I wouldn`t bet any money on it. She is a choker from way back plus Maria today showed signs of cleaning up her game. Not to mention that though on paper it looks like Safina should win, what seems "logical" often doesn`t work out in sports predictions.

V-MAC
May 31st, 2008, 09:27 PM
Maria's mental strength will be too tough for Dinara to handle and she seems to be finally finding some form on the red clay. Maria wins 6-3 7-5.

NeoZod19
May 31st, 2008, 09:31 PM
All Maria needs is to break Safina once in each set and Safina will crack like her brother!!;)

I like Maria being the underdog in this tournament!

Il Primo!
May 31st, 2008, 09:44 PM
I never predict a loss for Maria. Ain't gonna change for this one.

Buitenzorg
May 31st, 2008, 10:47 PM
I had predicted Safina v Jankovic for RG 2008 final

therefore I would have to say

Safina def Sharapova 6-4 7-5

Shimizu Amon
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM
Well I believe that Maria will win this match, but I'm also hoping.
I know there's a chance for Maria to lose against Safina, but not when she plays the same way she did yesterday. She will beat Safina.

:bounce:GO MARIA!:bounce:

SoClose
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Dinara 6;1 7;5

soomaal
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM
if dinara doesn't win this she will never win a grand slam - but she will win against maria.

hayleytrotter
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Dinara probably deserves to win given her recent form, but sharapova pribably will. Which of course, i will be happy about!

theFutureisNow
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Not only does Dinara have 63% of the votes but almost all the folks on this forum whose opinions I hold in the most regard have gone with Dinara. No surprise really. Anyone who follows and understands tennis can recognise that one of these girls is playing extremely well and the other quite simply is not.

Dinara in two.

I'll admit that Safina has had a better month of May.

But you have to factor in mental toughness. If there is anyone that can turn things around when not playing well it is Sharapova.

Also, it's not like Safina has been dominating this year. She had one good tournament. Outside of that she has been lousy this year.

It was impressive that Safina beat Henin, Serena, and Dementiava in one tournament. But Henin retired immediately after. That obviously could be a sign that she knew she just wasn't playing at her past clay-court level. Serena got knocked out very early, so she might have been overrated on clay also.

Maria seems to have the most trouble with quick players who can track down everything(and Serena). At 6 feet tall I really doubt that Safina can do this. And she is no Serena, especially when it comes to mental toughness.

I hardly need to add who is more likely out of Sharapova and Safina to rise to the occasion in a big match.

For all of these reasons, I think that Maria will find a way to win, despite her recent subpar play.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM

She did, just not at this year's FO (2007 USO).

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'll admit that Safina has had a better month of May.

But you have to factor in mental toughness. If there is anyone that can turn things around when not playing well it is Sharapova.

2006 Roland Garros 4th round :confused: :confused: :confused:

blumaroo
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
My head says Safina, heart says Maria.
The second set against Knapp gave me a little hope.

watchdogfish
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
2006 Roland Garros 4th round :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yeah that's what I was thinking :lol:
Who was it that folded after leading 5-1 in the final set? ;)

Dinara has a huge huge chance here. Her movement has improved massively and the way she's turned around her season after such a poor start shows mental fortitude. Maria hasn't settled on the red clay at all this season, and doesn't seem to play her best when she's top seed. Dinara can definitely win this match and I think she will :)

hayleytrotter
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
2008 is 2 years later. Shes grown up a lot. I think she could seriously beat her now.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:54 PM
2008 is 2 years later. Shes grown up a lot.

And Safina has grown down?

jankovicfan
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
i think masha will win, but it doesnt really matter. either will be defeated by demetieva in the QF:hearts:

lola-b.
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
GO DINARA!!!
I hope she is going to win :D

jacobruiz
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
And Safina has grown down?
She's gotten older, but she certainly hasn't accomplished what Maria has.
It will be a very tough match, however. Clay is Maria's worst surface and Dinara is very good on it. But if Maria can improve her serve and reduce her UFE's she can win, imo.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
For those that say Maria ia playing badly need to go look at her last match. She wasn't playing poorly at all. Even with her DF's I think she still has the best first serve percentage of any remaining player.

This match for me is a coin flip. Who's side will it land on tomorrow is the tough thing to figure out.

Mileen
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hope Dinara. Com'on, Dinara!! Hope Sharapova loses as quickly as possible.

Slutati
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
i think masha will win, but it doesnt really matter. either will be defeated by demetieva in the QF:hearts:
:worship:

LUVMIRZA
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM
At the moment, Dinara can easily crush Maria on clay.

But knowing Dinara is a bit of a headcase, if something doesn't go her way, Maria will win this....

Dinara turned the tables thrice in Berlin, so Maria has little chance here.

Brooks.
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
I see Maria winning 7-5 6-2

Safina will choke a first set lead and it'll all be over :tape:

Tennace
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM
I think Dinara will win this one, unless Maria dominates and wnis in 2 sets. If Maria doesnt win in 2 sets, i dont think she will win.

Michaelz
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
i think dinara can win, all depends on masha's day

goldenlox
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
If Maria wins, does that mean she beat a good claycourter or that Dinara is not good at majors?

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Sharapova will win comfortably. All the pressure is on Dinara and she'll crack. The hard part for Sharapova was reaching the 4th round. She had all the pressure in the first three rounds. Now with people saying she isn't playing that well and the fact that all of her potential opponents are good clay players means that people wouldn't be surprised that she lost. Hence she has little pressure on her now.

I expect a 7-5 6-3 scoreline.

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
A lot of people are confident in Dinara. I thought she wasn't that good in the Berlin final, but Lena played the last 2 sets like she was exhausted.

DownTheLine21
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
If Maria wins, does that mean she beat a good claycourter or that Dinara is not good at majors?

Probably a combination of both. I really do think that too many people are severely underestimating Maria. I doubt she gives this up so easily, if at all.

Slutati
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Nah, it means Larry Scott forced Dinara to tank the match:p

Craig.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Probably a combination of both. I really do think that too many people are severely underestimating Maria. I doubt she gives this up so easily, if at all.

That's exactly what I think. Some people here think that Maria is just gonna crumble and go away as soon as something goes wrong in the match. I, for some reason, just can't see her losing tomorrow's match. She has said so many times how much this slam means to her and with all the preparation she's had and how hard she's worked on clay this year, I really think she'll stay on court as long as she has to until she hears JEU-SET-MATCH, MLLE SHARAPOVA. I think she's found a level of maturity in her game and I just don't see her losing in the 4th round. Yes, she's been struggling lately, but I don't think she'll let herself lose. The one way she can lose though, IMO, is if she just gets blown off the court, if she gets outplayed by Safina, which might very well happen. Still though, I think people either really can't stand Maria or don't know much about what she's capable of or Dinara has the biggest tennis fanbase in the world, because these poll results on the outcome of the match seem to be misleading.

Wtatennis212
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Tommorow's matches are the best one's in the tournament
Dinara vs. Maria
Vera vs. Elena
Svetlana vs. Victoria

I think Maria is going to win, but anything can happen really
Predictions. (http://protennisfans.blogspot.com)

Danči Dementia
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
If there is a God Dinara should win.....she is just way better clay player than Sharapova

Pasta-Na
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
i hope maria because if safina wins this match, she has a good chance to win 08 RG :p

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
That's exactly what I think. Some people here think that Maria is just gonna crumble and go away as soon as something goes wrong in the match. I, for some reason, just can't see her losing tomorrow's match. She has said so many times how much this slam means to her and with all the preparation she's had and how hard she's worked on clay this year, I really think she'll stay on court as long as she has to until she hears JEU-SET-MATCH, MLLE SHARAPOVA. I think she's found a level of maturity in her game and I just don't see her losing in the 4th round. Yes, she's been struggling lately, but I don't think she'll let herself lose. The one way she can lose though, IMO, is if she just gets blown off the court, if she gets outplayed by Safina, which might very well happen. Still though, I think people either really can't stand Maria or don't know much about what she's capable of or Dinara has the biggest tennis fanbase in the world, because those poll results on the outcome of the match seem to be misleading.

I don't think they're misleading. If you remove each player's name and put their clay court seasons side by side, with player 1 having a Tier II on fast green clay, and player 2 having a huge Tier I beating world #1 & #5, it makes sense that player 2 should be the favorite. Which isn't to say that Maria being a better tennis player overall and tougher mentally can't have her win, but it's not unusual to me that Dina is considered the favorite.

LUVMIRZA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
i hope maria because if safina wins this match, she has a good chance to win 08 RG :p

and wats ur problem if Dinara wins RG?

Craig.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
I don't think they're misleading. If you remove each player's name and put their clay court seasons side by side, with player 1 having a Tier II on fast green clay, and player 2 having a huge Tier I beating world #1 & #5, it makes sense that player 2 should be the favorite. Which isn't to say that Maria being a better tennis player overall and tougher mentally can't have her win, but it's not unusual to me that Dina is considered the favorite.

I agree with that though. I meant misleading by the margin that Dinara's winning this poll. I would've thought it to be closer to 50% for both. Anyhow, it should be an interesting match and hopefully Maria will grind it out and come out with a win. ;)

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
i am so afraid

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
sharapova is going to win and win the title

Emina.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
i am so afraid

well its not the ideal 4th round match for Masha...we'll see :)

LUVMIRZA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:56 AM

How can u be so sure? Remember how Maria lost to Ana last year?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
How can u be so sure? Remember how Maria lost to Ana last year?

who cares..sharapova fans dont understand reasoning...

Craig.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM

I do. :sad:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
aww i am sorry :*(

Craig.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
aww i am sorry :)

You are forgiven.

And yet, I don't think she'll win the tournament. ;)

akosiirwyn
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
Dinara, based on current form. She's playing great clay court tennis.

LUVMIRZA
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:35 AM

:haha: u r being sarcastic here, i thought u were cheering for Maria:lol:

Willam
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
as Tennace said.. If maria cant pull it off in 2 quick sets, Safina will take it :shrug:

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
I think Dinara will win this one, unless Maria dominates and wnis in 2 sets. If Maria doesnt win in 2 sets, i dont think she will win.

as Tennace said.. If maria cant pull it off in 2 quick sets, Safina will take it :shrug:

Out of curiosity, why couldn't Maria win it in 3? She's at her best fitness level ever it seems, and has won two 3-setters already.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:42 AM

i hope so i am really afraid

V-MAC
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
Don't be, Maria will win this ;)

Craig.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
Out of curiosity, why couldn't Maria win it in 3? She's at her best fitness level ever it seems, and has won two 3-setters already.

Yeah. I actually think the ONLY way Maria can win this is in three. Two seems pretty unlikely.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:51 AM
If Safina doesn't win, I hope it's because Maria played a great match, and not because head was in a fog.

cheo23
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:52 AM
i am so afraid

Maria will win in your dreams but come back to haunt you as she loses to Dinara when you wake up. Have a wonderful real-life daymare.

young_gunner913
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Dina Dina! 6-4, 6-2

frontier
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
I think Vera will be a surprise finalist,even if Maria escapes from Dinara she will lose to Vera .She is on fire on clay this season
Go Vera!

Dor Y
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
Dinara is in great form. she will win I think in 2

karimcartoon
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Wow. I can't believe so many people voted for Safina. I'm sorry but I honestly believe that Sharapova will win this one. I think Safina's a little over-rated right now. I mean she reached the Rome final a few years ago ...

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Wow. I can't believe so many people voted for Safina. I'm sorry but I honestly believe that Sharapova will win this one. I think Safina's a little over-rated right now. I mean she reached the Rome final a few years ago ...

...and won Berlin a few weeks ago

homogenius
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM

:tape:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I am so glad that thing turned out wrong!

jamatthews
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I agree. I think Sharapova could start out ALOT stronger than people expect. However if she lets it get into a 3 set bitchfight Safina will come out on top.

Bitchfight. :drool::p