PDA

View Full Version : 2008: The Year Hingis Could Have Won The French Open

Jaffas85
May 31st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Had Hingis not tested positive to cocaine and was still playing at a similar level to what she was playing in 2006 and early 2007 then I think she would have been a strong favourite to finally win the French Open this year.

In 2006 there were many big hitters who she couldn't get around such as Clijsters, Henin and to a lesser extent V. Williams playing in the tournament, however, if she were playing this years' tournament her only main threats would have been from Ivanovic and Jankovic and she could have beaten them on clay.

Too bad for her that she tested positive to cocaine use because 2008, with the absense of Henin and Clijsters and with both Williams sisters out early, would have been a great opportunity for her to finally win the French Open.

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 09:10 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:junkie Hingis:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Young 8
May 31st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Had Hingis not tested positive to cocaine and was still playing at a similar level to what she was playing in 2006 and early 2007 then I think she would have been a strong favourite to finally win the French Open this year.

In 2006 there were many big hitters who she couldn't get around such as Clijsters, Henin and to a lesser extent V. Williams playing in the tournament, however, if she were playing this years' tournament her only main threats would have been from Ivanovic and Jankovic and she could have beaten them on clay.

Too bad for her that she tested positive to cocaine use because 2008, with the absense of Henin and Clijsters and with both Williams sisters out early, would have been a great opportunity for her to finally win the French Open.

ROTFL

are you serious ???

Ivanovic, Jankovic, Sharapova are still IN

and don't forget Kuznetsova, Safina, ecc.....

Beat
May 31st, 2008, 09:29 AM
and was still playing at a similar level to what she was playing in 2006 and early 2007

but she wouldn't.

karimcartoon
May 31st, 2008, 09:35 AM
well ... she did beat Sharapova in Toyko and with her double fault issues, hingis could've wabbled Sharapova up. I mean she lost a SET to a player she's never lost a set to ranked outside the top 100. Think of how easily Hingis could've won that match. She beat Safina in Rome in 2006 and i think i see the poster's point. The draw is opening up with a lot more less experienced players, no matter how big of a hitter of the ball they may be. Jankovic isn't really a power player except for her down-the-line-backhand and Hingis did beat Ivanovic last year in, guess again ... Toyko. I really want her to come back at 29 :(

igost
May 31st, 2008, 12:40 PM
2008: The Year I Could Have Won The Lottery
But I forgot to buy tickets:devil:

Highlandman
May 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
I don't know about the title , but she could have done pretty well , yeah.

And except Henin I'm sure Hingis could have beaten everyone on clay , also in her "new career".

PLP
May 31st, 2008, 12:44 PM
:lol:

You're right though. If Kim or Martina were in the draw this year...ugh, I don't even want to ponder this. :sad:

ElusiveChanteuse
May 31st, 2008, 12:45 PM
2008: The Year Henin Could Have Won The French Open

...if she didn't retired.:rolleyes:

or

2008: The Year Williams Could Have Won The French Open

...if they didn't play crap.:o

bwahahahahaha
Try 2004. It was her best shot but she wasn't there.

Highlandman
ROTFL

are you serious ???

Ivanovic, Jankovic, Sharapova are still IN

and don't forget Kuznetsova, Safina, ecc.....

I think Hingis could beat them as well & she also did. And the Starter of the thread didn't say she WOULD have won it , just COULD and that's maybe true.

There is nobody in the draw who a Martina Hingis could not beat , especially not on clay , especially on grass the thing would have been different since 2006.

Young 8
May 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think Hingis could beat them as well & she also did. And the Starter of the thread didn't say she WOULD have won it , just COULD and that's maybe true.

There is nobody in the draw who a Martina Hingis could not beat , especially not on clay , especially on grass the thing would have been different since 2006.

dude....it's 2008

bellascarlett
May 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Nope, it's the year Henin could have won the French Open...looking at the way things are going. She's probably scratching her head now.

PLP
May 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
dude....it's 2008

LOL. It's been about 15 months since Martina won a tournament, beating Ana and Lena D. Obviously she could still compete, besides which, the top 10 is a little :tape:
at the moment. At her worst, Martina would only be a top 25 player.

But I digress, it's irrelevant and I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this thread. :lol:

Sund7101
May 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

RenaSlam.
May 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM
She's busy blowing coke.

markhingis
May 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
and you think had Hingis played this year, the Williamses would have also lost early? Let's play "what if..."
I must disagree with your thoughts!

cellophane
May 31st, 2008, 02:25 PM
She's busy blowing coke.

At least she isn't busy scrubbing toilets or spending her time trolling it up on a computer in the public library. :hug:

davidmario
May 31st, 2008, 04:07 PM
She would've had the same experience just like Schiavone or Petrova got today.
She's not able to deal with the consistent hardhitters. BTW, we don't want a former "role-model" to go on court with a white nose:o

FrOzon
May 31st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Kim Clijsters would have been the player to choose! :)

AceTennisGrrrl
May 31st, 2008, 04:22 PM
If and coulds and all that blah blah it's all theoretical, she probably would have done something to make her lose the title, who knows.
Its her own fault for taking that special kind of moon dust

AlwaysGraf
May 31st, 2008, 06:50 PM
shoulda coulda woulda....but didn't

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Well it is her own fault for using cocaine :shrug:

I agree though, this could have been a great chance for her.

Max565
May 31st, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well it is her own fault for using cocaine :shrug:

Who ever said it wasn't? Of course it was her fault. We're not talking about her positive tests, we're talking about her chances of winning this Slam if she were still around.

I agree with the poster. I think she could have won this if she were playing at her 2006 level. Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Jankovic wouldn't trouble her the way Henin or Clijsters would. But I wonder if Martina's frail mentality would hinder her at the decisive moments.

homogenius
May 31st, 2008, 07:35 PM
She's busy blowing coke.

Maybe she should give some to Oracene : that could help her to stay awake during her daughters's matches.