PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova, the world's most recognizable female athlete?

LegendsofTennis
May 31st, 2008, 04:07 AM
Maria Sharapova, the most recognizable female athelte in the world? I think she is. Some say she's even more well known all over the world than men's world number one and possible GOAT Roger Federer.

southpaw58
May 31st, 2008, 04:14 AM
Hmm...I wouldn't go so far to say she's the most recog athlete. But for sure one of the most known Female tennis players. Her along with Serena and Venus. Serena and Venus, due to the fact they were so different then what tennis was used to and that they are great players. Sharapova for defeating Serena at Wimbledon at age 17 and her look is pretty marketable. The US eats up the image of a tall blonde, and she's a great player as well. Roger Federer is known for his dominance and lately (within the last year) has gotten the respect and attention he deservses, but Andy Roddick is one of the most well known tennis players in the US due to the fact that his serve is HUGE and also his all american jock look is also very marketable in the US.

eck
May 31st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Maria Sharapova, the most recognizable female athelte in the world? I think she is. Some say she's even more well known all over the world than men's world number one and possible GOAT Roger Federer.

Where have they been?

Jacey
May 31st, 2008, 04:58 AM
Where have they been?

under a rock, I guess ;)

makes since, majority sports fans are male.....hence, Sharapova would be more known that Federer

Harvs
May 31st, 2008, 06:29 AM
shes by far the most internationally recognised female athlete in the world... by a long shot.

with the men... uve got the likes of woods and federer who i think would probably be more known?

Malva
May 31st, 2008, 08:28 AM
I think Serena and Venus are both more recognizable.

Shimizu Amon
May 31st, 2008, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure if she's the most recognizable female athlete but I think she's the most recognizable female tennis star. She is what Serena was. In my opinion she's the face of the WTA. Why, because she's talented and beautiful. And she can be used for marketing very easily, which has been proven by all her endorsement contracts. I think that Serena comes in a solid 2nd place, especially in the USA.

Harvs
May 31st, 2008, 08:44 AM

in america... probably yes.

Adal
May 31st, 2008, 08:44 AM
Certainly not in Europe.

Malva
May 31st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Certainly not in Europe.

And who is in Europe? Last time I was there Kurnikova was still mentioned more often by the media than Sharapova.

Couldn't be that the answer depends on what country you are asking this question in?

When I was visiting Australia the Aussie female swimmers were a constant presence in the local media. In comparison, Sharapova was hardly ever mentioned outside of AO.

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Certainly not in Europe.

Certainly in America too. American considers Maria like an American girl, look when she won US:worship:
Maria is the most recognizable female athlete, the most beautiful, the highest female paid in the world.
YOU THE BEST MARIA:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Malva
May 31st, 2008, 09:03 AM
Certainly in America too. American considers Maria like an American girl, look when she won US:worship:
Maria is the most recognizable female athlete, the most beautiful, the highest female paid in the world.
YOU THE BEST MARIA:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Where does your information about America come from? I doubt that from American media, since to comprehend them one would have to learn some English first.

Meteor Shower
May 31st, 2008, 09:06 AM
here in israel even people who doesn't follow tennis will know who sharapova and federer is.
williams sisters, not so much.

Harvs
May 31st, 2008, 09:06 AM
And who is in Europe? Last time I was there Kurnikova was still mentioned more often by the media than Sharapova.

Couldn't be that the answer depends on what country you are asking this question in?

When I was visiting Australia the Aussie female swimmers were a constant presence in the local media. In comparison, Sharapova was hardly ever mentioned outside of AO.

probably the only female athlete in australia thats remotely aswell known would be libby trickett... but worlwide sharapova is obviously much more well known.

across ALL countries.. its sharapova without a doubt.

Adal
May 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Maria+Sharapova&word2=Serena+Williams

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Sharapova 6,390,000 results
Ivanovic 1,690,000 results:help: :lol::lol::lol:

Malva
May 31st, 2008, 09:12 AM
This thread seems to attract essentially worshippers of Sharapova. Their optics is naturally biased towards their idol.

I travel around the world a lot and I haven't personally noticed that Sharapova was the most recognizable female athlete.

Andy.
May 31st, 2008, 09:13 AM
I would say Venus and Serena still have that title. Maria would definatly be third though and catching up all the time.

Harvs
May 31st, 2008, 09:21 AM
This thread seems to attract essentially worshippers of Sharapova. Their optics is naturally biased towards their idol.

I travel around the world a lot and I haven't personally noticed that Sharapova was the most recognizable female athlete.

im not a huge fan of maria or serena.
my opinion is not biased... i just think its obviously persoanlly.

Slutiana
May 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
People may get them mixed up but it's most certainly Serena and Venus. Definatly. Maybe Maria may have the edge in russia but that's about it. Most people have heard of the williams sister. I know MANY people who don't have a clue who Sharapova is. They know kournikova though....

Adal
May 31st, 2008, 09:31 AM
The "I know people who don't know Maria, but know WS" or the other way around is a really lame argument.

I believe what I see - internet searches, № of search results.

zvonarevarulz
May 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM
I think so, Venus and Serena are well known, but they're known as a group more so than individuals.

Harvs
May 31st, 2008, 09:55 AM
I think so, Venus and Serena are well known, but they're known as a group more so than individuals.

thats a fair point actually... theyre known as the williams sisters more so than venus and serena...

pigmalion
May 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Some days ago on a french radio, there was a question to guess who was the new number one now that Justine has retired, and none of the 5 or 6 people could answer :shrug:

@Sweet Cleopatra
May 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM
yes

debby
May 31st, 2008, 10:22 AM
:tape: My best friend didn't even know who was Sharapova LMAO. But she knew Serena Williams, she even said me "I am sure that she won so many tournaments !!!! she is very strong" ... And it is the same thing in France. Sharapova is less known than Kournikova, and Serena is worldwide known. Sorry for your dreams :)

debby
May 31st, 2008, 10:26 AM
Some days ago on a french radio, there was a question to guess who was the new number one now that Justine has retired, and none of the 5 or 6 people could answer :shrug:

lmao I remember also at school, I asked to some people if they knew Henin, they answered "yes for sure, she has won Roland Garros so many times, she must be French !!!" :tape:

then I was playing on a game online, this was about some general culture, and once, others and me had to give the 2006 US OPEN's champion's name among four names : Sharapova, Henin, Mauresmo and Serena Williams. Everybody (but me of course) answered Justine Henin :tape: :tape:

karimcartoon
May 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.megakournikova.com/gallery/gallery4/ak407.jpg

pancake
May 31st, 2008, 11:02 AM
:tape: My best friend didn't even know who was Sharapova LMAO. But she knew Serena Williams, she even said me "I am sure that she won so many tournaments !!!! she is very strong" ... And it is the same thing in France. Sharapova is less known than Kournikova, and Serena is worldwide known. Sorry for your dreams :)

Well because there are a lot of people know who Sharapova is too. I am not sure about Williams sisters BUT I believe they are also well-known, I just doubt if they are as popular as Sharapova because people here (who don't know tennis much) tend to like blonde.

And why do you mention your best friend? Is you best friend called World or does he/she represent the whole world? Don't want to be mean but it's not like you are making solid points to make your sorry-for-your-dreams post reasonable or credible.

I don't know if Sharapova is the world's most recognizable female athlete, but she sure is one of the most recognizable ones.

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Serena and Venus

Take this from someone who grew up in Nigeria and now studies in England. If we are talking about THE WORLD, most people are just sticking to Europe and America. The sister olympic win was celebrated in African places as well. I mean when i am at home watching a match i can have relatives or friends of relatives come in and know who they are. I think the olympic win sets them apart. I am not sure just being the 'it' girl makes you internationally recognisable.

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
And you know what, internationally i think Venus has one up on Serena.

debby
May 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sharapova is ordinary, and so many Russian look like her, and if I mentioned my best friend, that 's just for saying Sharapova is not really the most recognizable, THE MOST RECOGNIZABLE FEMALE ATHLETE is very popular, so much than Serena if Sharapova was. Unfortunately, I think she is not. Kournikova is.

By this way, I don't get how Kournikova is the most recognizable/famous female athlete :help: she achieved nothing compared to Sharapova who has won three Slams. Plus, Maria is pretty, as Kournikova. But they don't get the same popularity :confused:

Malva
May 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM
And you know what, internationally i think Venus has one up on Serena.

I have a similar impression: Venus Williams may be the single most recognizable female tennis player.

Adal
May 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Yahoo:
1) Sharapova - 26,300,000 results
2) Serena - 21,800,000 results
3) Venus - 15,600,000 results
4) Kournikova - 14,200,000 results

Google:
1) Sharapova - 6,940,000
2) Kournikova - 5,220,000
3) Serena - 4,830,000
4) Venus - 2,620,000I think now we know who really is. Not only because someone's best friend knows Maria or not :o

Mashafaaaaan
May 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM
I think now we know who really is. Not only because someone's best friend knows Maria or not :o
[/SIZE]

:worship::worship:

sasha&tennis
May 31st, 2008, 01:16 PM
The media would like for you to think that Maria Sharapova is the most recognized female athlete in the world. When really she is not. Let's not forget that Sharapova's fame came with a win over Serena Williams at Wimbledon and the media has tried to shove her down peoples throat ever since. At one point there were so many commercials of her that you could hardly enjoy a good tournament. But so many people complained about it that you don't even see any commercials of her anymore. She is known to be the most disliked player on the tour behind Justine Henin but by far not the most recognized female athlete.

Venus Williams is the most recognized then Serena. When they both lost yesterday it made the cover story on so many different global webpages that even I was shocked. They headlined places that I have never seen tennis mentioned. But when Sharapova the defending champion lost early at the 07 US Open there were no headlines only on the ones that always cover tennis.

Venus & Serena are the main news and Sharapova is just news and is being over taken as we speak by Ivanovic who did not have to beat a Williams sister to become known. Real beauty speaks for itself (Ana Ivanovic) but media hype is exposed (Maria Sharapova).

serenus_2k8
May 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think Serena and Sharapova are top 2, it depends where u go to see which is #1.

I dont think anyone would have heard of Sharapova and not heard of Serena, and vice versa.

Ysabella
May 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM
oh yes yes yes! definitely yes ;)

serenus_2k8
May 31st, 2008, 01:24 PM
:lol: Venus and Serena have been around a much longer time than Maria, won every slam more than twice (except french, unless you include doubles) plus Olympics etc.

And I think that some1 who just watched a slam such as Wimb for eg coz its a big occasion would remember Serena more than Maria.

Dan23
May 31st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Sharapova is ordinary, and so many Russian look like her, and if I mentioned my best friend, that 's just for saying Sharapova is not really the most recognizable, THE MOST RECOGNIZABLE FEMALE ATHLETE is very popular, so much than Serena if Sharapova was. Unfortunately, I think she is not. Kournikova is.

By this way, I don't get how Kournikova is the most recognizable/famous female athlete :help: she achieved nothing compared to Sharapova who has won three Slams. Plus, Maria is pretty, as Kournikova. But they don't get the same popularity :confused:
Since Henin has retired it looks like you spend most of your time posting about Maria now :o

Does this subject really matter to anyone? Who gives a crap? It'll be different in different parts of the world and to people from different backgrounds and has absolutely no bearing on anything remotely important.

Malva
May 31st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Does this subject really matter to anyone? Who gives a crap? It'll be different in different parts of the world and to people from different backgrounds and has absolutely no bearing on anything remotely important.

A voice of sanity at last...

Marshmallow
May 31st, 2008, 01:47 PM

Thank de GOD! The lone partially sensible Maria fanatic.

This site is serious going down hill! Every time I come to GM they're like 10 threads, posted by either some spammer or some fanatic asking IDIOTIC questions!!!!!

In the case Maria might the best most recognisable athlete... SO? There might be a million to one reasons why. She fits the seemingly global model of 'beauty' - White, slim, BLONDE and young, and has also attracted many endorsements because of this so called marketability. This is partially supported by Maria's own words. Remember when she made her RACIST comments about Asian people / Japanese... saying "They worship anything blonde over there"!!!! [How Maria can have asian fans following such insults is beyond me, but that's not the point!]

You also have to put internet searches into context. Are people searching for Maria online doing so because they respect her as an athlete, and what she brings to the game (as they would for Amelie, Justine and so on) - or because they are merely objectifying her! If you do a google search of 'Sharapova' - you'll notice that the majority of the pictures that come up (most viewed pictures) are of Maria is some skimpy outfit, provective pose, or CAMELTOE :o :tape:. It was horrifying - no not because i'm gay - night after night after night people (Pervert males and predatory lesbian = more commonly known as Maria Fan base) scour the internet for glimpses of boob, ass and cameltoe! She's out there trying to play the game, and rows of Maria fans out there trying to take photos of in all kinds of positions. Eating a banana has become sexualised!

In view of that, why are some people so proud that Maria is the most searched - when the reasons for her popularity are sickening! I've never thought much of Maria's fan base, but to just think that maybe 12 times a day they are clicking away at obscene photos... then spewwing garbage in the forums... :o

DokicPova
May 31st, 2008, 02:08 PM
she really is. maria is so huge right now everyody knows her. in europe serena and venus are not famous, you tell someone, do you know serena williams? and they say, isnt it robbie williams? :help:

c0bra
May 31st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Yes I think she is the most recognizable in the world now easily. She looks fabulous. She wins - often. She has endorsement deals everywhere. She has the world at her feet.

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Yahoo:
1) Sharapova - 26,300,000 results
2) Serena - 21,800,000 results
3) Venus - 15,600,000 results
4) Kournikova - 14,200,000 results

Google:
1) Sharapova - 6,940,000
2) Kournikova - 5,220,000
3) Serena - 4,830,000
4) Venus - 2,620,000I think now we know who really is. Not only because someone's best friend knows Maria or not :o

As huge as the internet is, a huge demographic like Africans are not fully represented.

So for that i am going to have to say :p

I mean to Europe and America i think that is safely the result.

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM
People are really underestimating the olympics win.
I mean in my textbooks the only female athlete prominently represented is Venus WIlliams - German, French and Science - I study in Europe :)

In Germany particularly Venus is the most popular out of the 3.

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Yes I think she is the most recognizable in the world now easily. She looks fabulous. She wins - often. She has endorsement deals everywhere. She has the world at her feet.

the western world

joćo.
May 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Sharapova is def., and this discussion with the Williams' fans is ridiculous. :laugh:

Mina Vagante
May 31st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Williams sisters are more

pigmalion
May 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM

I agree :wavey:

serenus_2k8
May 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Sharapova is def., and this discussion with the Williams' fans is ridiculous. :laugh:

Great smiley, I'll be sure to use that in the future! :wavey:

Love em or hate em, Williams sisters are more well known. People see them and instantly take notice because they are so different from the average tennis player.

Monirena Wiles
May 31st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Maybe outside of the US she is but here I think Serena still is by a large margin. For people that watch sports Maria is way up there, but for people who have no interest in sports at all they still dont know Maria like they do Serena. Anyway you look at it Maria and Serena are number one and two for sure.

bellascarlett
May 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Of course, she is. ;)

Sharapowerr
May 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Maria is the most well known female athlete in europe that s for sure..

nelsondan
May 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Maria+Sharapova&word2=Serena+Williams

It is closer between sharapova(she still wins) and kournikova---but a lot of kournikova's results are from people checking to see if she is still looking anorexic.

nelsondan
May 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM

people who follow tennis more casually know about the Williams sisters---but they are not always sure which is which.

Craigy
May 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM
in europe serena and venus are not famous, you tell someone, do you know serena williams? and they say, isnt it robbie williams? :help:

Lies. :weirdo:
Obsessed little freak.

Emina.
May 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM
yep for sure :cool:

Adal
May 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Some of my classmates think that Enrique is dating Sharapova.
I'm like "WTH? Are you all crazy???"

handan
May 31st, 2008, 05:43 PM
If you don't count Kournikova ,yes she is.

cartmancop
May 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
I would say that where I'm from the most recognizable female tennis players are : 1. Kournikova (still :lol:) 2. The WS, usually grouped together. 3. Sharapova 4. someone old like Nav, etc.

rjd1111
May 31st, 2008, 07:22 PM

This is bogus and prolly put out by a Pova fan.

look toward the bottom of the page and you will see:

"This site is not affiliated with or sponsored by Google"

Adal
May 31st, 2008, 07:24 PM
This is bogus and prolly put out by a Pova fan.

look toward the bottom of the page and you will see:

"This site is not affiliated with or sponsored by Google"
But it basically just compares the number of results of the any keyword in google.

NeoZod19
May 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM

The reality is Anna K was gorgeous but is the past and Maria is the present and no doubt Maria will be considering the world most successful female athlete in the future!!

AnomyBC
May 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM
I think I would agree that Sharapova is probably the world's most recognizable female athlete. Serena Williams would be a close second. Probably the entire Top 5 would be tennis players.

Coffee&TV
May 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
She is, here in our place.