PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find this RG boring?

Aaron.
May 31st, 2008, 12:26 AM
I mean its great that some new player will win there first RG, but IMO its been boring..Henin was always the one to beat at RG now shes not here anymore.

All of Sharapova's matches are hot mess :help:

the WS out early when they have good rivarly (Venus vs Jankovic,Serena vs Kuznetsova etc..)

Seems boring to me anyone else

Dawson.
May 31st, 2008, 12:27 AM
yes! very!

debopero
May 31st, 2008, 12:28 AM
:wavey:

Emina.
May 31st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Yes! the only reason i still watch is because JJ is playing well against tough opponents.

scoobsuk
Not really, no.

Much as I enjoyed Henin's play, knowing she would win the final dropping a handful of games before R1 even happened was fairly dull.

Malva
I mean its great that some new player will win there first RG, but IMO its been boring..Henin was always the one to beat at RG now shes not here anymore.

the WS out early when they have good rivarly (Venus vs Jankovic,Serena vs Kuznetsova etc..)

Boring? With so much happening?

Are you sure you understand the meaning of the word boring?

pav
May 31st, 2008, 12:31 AM
No

Poova
Nope, not boring. On the contrary, it's been a very interesting Slam. ;)

Dunlop1
Aaron only finds it boring because Serena lost. It is not boring at all. The women who can't play clay court tennis are out (or on their way). I LOVE RG.

NeeemZ
May 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM
Boring? Maybe. Interesting? Absolutely. I would never have predicted that both Venus and Serena would exit the tournament before the fourth round.

LudwigDvorak
May 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I think it's fascinating so far. That said, Elena hasn't bombed to someone she should beat yet. I'll see what I think after that.

SOA_MC
May 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Why do Williams fans always start a "Tournament X is boring" thread whenever the Williams sisters either don't play or get knocked out early it's getting irritating:rolleyes:

Dave.
No, it's been very exciting. Sometimes it's good not to have the same players in the latter rounds.

The level of tennis has been extremely high with quite alot of good quality matches. It's nice to see the draw open up in some places and it will be nice to see someone win their first slam hopefully.

Imperfect Angel
When someone dominates an event(e.g. Henin for the past few years),people are bored;When the tourney is wide open(with the favourites being eliminated) and is up for grasps,people are still bored?:shrug:

heart
not that boring to me..just stopped watching cause amelie lost..but there were lot of unpredictable things that happened like ree & vee loosing surprisingly..that sounds interesting to me :shrug:

Wiggly
May 31st, 2008, 12:36 AM
Now that Iveta lost, it's boring. :lol: I wanted to watch her on TV so bad. :(

piksi
May 31st, 2008, 12:36 AM
I think that is is a good tournament with some great matches to come since the best players are still all in the draw

sasha&tennis
May 31st, 2008, 12:47 AM
With Venus gone I have no reason to watch. No other players game (including Serena) is as exciting for me to watch. No one moves, covers the court or net like Venus to me. I try to watch and like other players but the lack of exciting movement and explosive game is seriously missing. Serena is # 2 on my list and JJ # 3 because she does have exciting movement. But I really do like Ivanovic but her game nor Sharapova's is exciting to watch at all. So to me I would not say that the tournament is boring I would have to say for me the remaining players styles of play is boring to me.

#1SteffiGraf#1
May 31st, 2008, 12:48 AM
EVERY Grandslam is boring to alot of people....I WONDER WHY????

auah5
May 31st, 2008, 12:54 AM
If you love tennis, it will not be boring.
The bored feeling comes because your favourite players are out of action or lost. If you are purely big fan of tennis, you will find excitement in every matches and news!
Wake up! :) Tennis.. Love it or Leave it, honey! :p

kris719
May 31st, 2008, 01:00 AM
no way! boring is what it's been the past few years, when Henin was a lock to win. Now that she's out of the way, it's wide open, which makes for some pretty interesting tennis.

AcesHigh
May 31st, 2008, 01:18 AM
Well, i haven't been able to watch.. which sucks :( but this slam is VERY VERY important IMO. I think we're seeing FINALLY a complete shift to this new generation and THAT is very exciting. This is something we've all been waiting for and it's finally happening.

Just think, we might have a first time slam winner under the age of 25 for the first time since 2004.

Coffee&TV
May 31st, 2008, 01:27 AM
Only Janko match entertains me.. :p

drgray
May 31st, 2008, 01:29 AM
Yes and no. All the drama keeps it interesting. Will get better as more seeds meet I think. Plus Maria has kept me on my toes. :help:

hankqq
May 31st, 2008, 01:31 AM
Even though some of my faves (Mauresmo, Serena and then Venus) lost, this slam isn't boring. In general, I don't find slams boring. Do I wish that Henin, Clijsters and Hingis could be here, and that Mauresmo, Serena and Venus were still in the tournament? Yes, but tennis goes on without them. This situation reminds of 2003 at the USO, when Serena and Venus were out with injury, some people thought it was boring since they were the ones to beat, and Henin and Clijsters got to the final without beating them. You can only beat your next opponent, so if a lot of the name players either aren't at an event or lose early, that's just how it goes.

There are still a lot of interesting storylines left, such as:

-Will we have a new GS champion, or will 1 of the 2 remaining champs in the draw (Sharapova and Kuznetsova) add to their collection?
-Will we have a Russian vs. Serb final, or will someone else break that up (Radwanska, Szavay etc.)?

Also I find it very interesting what's going on in the top half, as the top Russians will start playing each other very soon. They always give great press conferences after these matches, since they hate losing to each other LOL!

AndreConrad
May 31st, 2008, 01:34 AM
It is very interesting, good number of surprizes and quite a lot of great tennis... it is awesome!

Uranium
May 31st, 2008, 01:36 AM
This is like the worst slam...in a while
1. Henin isn't here
2. Venus and Serena lose
3. Maria is #1 seed and playing like garbage
4. boring matches, nothing thrilling so far:shrug:

Aaron.
May 31st, 2008, 01:41 AM
This is like the worst slam...in a while
1. Henin isn't here
2. Venus and Serena lose
3. Maria is #1 seed and playing like garbage
4. boring matches, nothing thrilling so far:shrug: I Agree...the WS usally bring Drama to matches :devil:

VeeJJ
May 31st, 2008, 01:42 AM
yeah it's getting there.

Uranium
May 31st, 2008, 01:44 AM
I Agree...the WS usally bring Drama to matches :devil:

sadly they couldn't do it today:sad:

RVD
May 31st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Anyone else find this RG boring? Exceedingly. *sigh*

Aaron.
May 31st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Yes! the only reason i still watch is because JJ is playing well against tough opponents. Yeah I agree with you Jelena is playing well her matches are pretty entertaining.

Aaron only finds it boring because Serena lost. It is not boring at all. The women who can't play clay court tennis are out (or on their way). I LOVE RG. Everyone knows Serena and Venus bring drama to tennis why do you think when one of them loses it has like 1000 replies in one thread?

Why do Williams fans always start a "Tournament X is boring" thread whenever the Williams sisters either don't play or get knocked out early it's getting irritating:rolleyes: :tape:"

EVERY Grandslam is boring to alot of people....I WONDER WHY???? I thought the Us open and Wimby last year was good :shrug:

partbrit
May 31st, 2008, 01:46 AM
Not at all, no.

RenaSlam.
May 31st, 2008, 02:09 AM
It always has so much hype then just crumbles.

Never a classic match to speak of with great quality. Some lengthy matches, but nothing more.

Derek.
May 31st, 2008, 02:10 AM
It wasn't going to be that great with my top two favorites, Daniela being injured and Nicole just plain sucking.

However, if Vika can take advantage of her draw and cause some upsets, she could change my feelings. :hearts:

V-MAC
May 31st, 2008, 02:17 AM
Could get very interesting again if Ana and Maria were the next upsets :devil:

Marshmallow
May 31st, 2008, 03:10 AM
I think it's very interesting. So long as Maria is knocked out - with the exception of Kuznetsova (who is overdue another slam), we will have a new slam winner. Someone new to add to the 'experienced' list. Venus, Serena, Henin and the lives were never gonna rule forever. Now it's time for some new players to carry the torch.

I don't see how anyone can find that boring... what was boring was the way all those players choked against Henin. That's why RG was so boring for years... but now, :eek:

spiritedenergy
May 31st, 2008, 03:11 AM

No. The fact the you find it boring and do not spam as much makes it overall more interesting.

dansnewbeg
May 31st, 2008, 03:12 AM
I hope this tournament isn't a retread of 2004.

LindsayRulz
May 31st, 2008, 03:14 AM
It's boring this year because the real clay queen isn't playing. And by "real clay queen" I mean Lindsay, of course. :p

Anyways, RG has always been the most boring of the four slams...

Bijoux0021
May 31st, 2008, 03:21 AM
I think it's very interesting. So long as Maria is knocked out - with the exception of Kuznetsova (who is overdue another slam), we will have a new slam winner. Someone new to add to the 'experienced' list. Venus, Serena, Henin and the lives were never gonna rule forever. Now it's time for some new players to carry the torch.

I don't see how anyone can find that boring... what was boring was the way all those players choked against Henin. That's why RG was so boring for years... but now, :eek:
I agree. I don't think it's boring this year. It was boring watching so many players choked against Henin all those years. Their chokings made her looked a lot better than she really was.

Mikey.
May 31st, 2008, 03:21 AM
Why do Williams fans always start a "Tournament X is boring" thread whenever the Williams sisters either don't play or get knocked out early it's getting irritating:rolleyes:

:worship:

@danieln1
May 31st, 2008, 03:25 AM
Yeah, without a doubt now... No Lindsay, Serena, Venus, Mary, Martina, Monica, Myskina, Daniela, Jennifer, Amelie... also there wasn´t a great match on the womens side until now... so it´s boring

zvonarevarulz
May 31st, 2008, 03:33 AM
I find it quite interesting(My faves having a good chance of winning has nothing to do with it, I swear:p) especially since we will most likely have a new slam winner(Hopefully Vera;))

Matt01
May 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's very exciting :bounce:

Of course my dear friend Aaron finds this tournament very boring as soon as the WS have lost :lol:

Nikkiri
May 31st, 2008, 11:54 AM
Nope. :)

frenchie
May 31st, 2008, 11:55 AM
I agree

Sharapova's matches are a disgrace to clay tennis

Keaka
May 31st, 2008, 12:01 PM
When someone dominates an event(e.g. Henin for the past few years),people are bored;When the tourney is wide open(with the favourites being eliminated) and is up for grasps,people are still bored?:shrug:

Some people are always bored cause they are searching for something they can be bored at :help::p

Beat
May 31st, 2008, 12:04 PM

exactly my thoughts.

Andy.
May 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have been annoyed by the fact that my fav isnt playing well which has made me lose a little interest in the tournament and I have also lost a little interest because so many of the big names were either not here or lost early and now we have these non elite players playing off in the later rounds

svetaisthebest
May 31st, 2008, 12:10 PM
The BEST Roland Garros .... in years! :hearts: :hearts:

i know, its great :worship:

patch.
May 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM
If Maria had Kata or Flavia to play in the 3rd round then she would have lost.

I think the fact we will have a new RG Champion is great, really hoping it is Elena, but we will know more about her chances after today. Hoping for Jankovic-Dementieva final but its pretty wide open because there is no stand out favourite like Henin was in the past.

Sharapova is playing :help::tape: Tennis. I just dont see her winning much longer with a such a (lack of) serve

ViennaCalling
May 31st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Well, instead of some other people i still find this GS interesting although my biggest faves are already out :sad: I guess that is called "being a Tennis-Fan" :rolleyes:

I like the fact that the field is wide open and i canīt predict who will win the whole thing. Thatīs thrilling and entertaining. RG 2008 rocks :rocker2:

Michael!
May 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM
If Elena loses today, it will be boring :sad:
Just like last year :awww:

ViennaCalling
May 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Elena won´t lose against Govortsova :help:

That´s not even possible :unsure:

miura
May 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM
No, RG is fun. My favourite is coming through, even if it's close sometimes ;) and there's a bunch of rising stars proving themself worthy of higher ranking atm. The only thing I find boring is most part of the womens matches, mens tennis is so much faster. The fact that me, playing on a high club level in Norway, could be able to beat top50 women makes it less interesting.

Mina Vagante
Yes

FORZA SARITA

:yeah:

svetaisthebest
May 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Well, instead of some other people i still find this GS interesting although my biggest faves are already out :sad: I guess that is called "being a Tennis-Fan" :rolleyes:

I like the fact that the field is wide open and i canīt predict who will win the whole thing. Thatīs thrilling and entertaining. RG 2008 rocks :rocker2:

i know i like that too usually there are only two or three people who can realistically win it -this year there's an open field :D

Adal
May 31st, 2008, 12:27 PM
I don't :p

PLP
May 31st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Yes, though it is difficult to explain.

It just feels like something is missing. It's not just JuJu either, though I think there is a certain emptiness without her, as well as the other big name players not playing anymore that could play great tennis on clay. All of the tournament 'faves' that are still in aren't playing that well IMO, and there is some pretty patchy play from all of them but hopefully that will change.
There have been some really interesting matches and drama. I think I will be happy for whoever gets through to the title, it's just a bizarre tournament to me.

I am almost expecting Patty to win. :angel:

Dodoboy.
May 31st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Aaron only finds it boring because Serena lost. It is not boring at all. The women who can't play clay court tennis are out (or on their way). I LOVE RG.

Serena - RG CHAMPION 2002 :cool:

gmak
May 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
boring? no

great? yes ;)

RenaSlam.
May 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
The men's side is much more interesting, even though you practically know 3 out of the 4 semifinalists already.

Better quality matches.

Ryan
May 31st, 2008, 02:33 PM
NOPE. I think its great to see younger players really do well and I don't enjoy watching Venus or Serena win slams. I hope we get some good matches in the QF's and I'll be happy.

serenus_2k8
May 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Boring is unfair, this is a huge chance for all the players in the draw as none of them have won the title yet.

Weirdly though, I always find Wimb/US Open the best because I think the atmosphere is much better. The atmosphere at RG is worse than a Tier I unless there is frenchman/woman playing.

Australlian Open has a great atmosphere too, whihc I like but the time difference sux!

Aravanecaravan
May 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM
"Anyone else find this RG boring?"

It was until yesterday, what with ESPN and TTC showing 87 williams repeats per day. I suspect that will change now. :p