PDA

View Full Version : Are women tennis players mentaly weaker than men??

Erik77
May 31st, 2008, 01:26 AM
This is a subject that I been thinking about for some time. Today we have seen Serena and Venus play at about 50-60 % of their normal capacity and loose. During the last days we have also seen Maria play like crap, also about 50-60 % (but win). And this kind of poor play from Serena, Venus and Maria are not that unusal. Just during the last year or so they have performed this way several times. And bare in mind: these (Serena, Venus and Maria) players are suppose to be the mental strong ones on the wta tour. And compare to the rest, they definitally are. Just think of the other top players: Ivanovich, Kuznetzova, Mauresmo, Dementieva, Jankovich and so on.

And compare this to the players on the ATP-tour. First of all, you donīt see them "choke" so often, and when they do get nervous - they donīt loose all their game, most of the times they still perform on a level about 80-90 of their normal capacity. I find these differences in coping with preassure quite obvious, and above all very strange. Do you guys agree in this analasys, and if so, what are the reasons that the women players seems to cope with preasure less effective than men, and above all, when they get nervous they seem to loose more of their game compare to the male players.

(Now, this is not dis the women-tennis, I still find it more intresting than male tennis)

DA FOREHAND
May 31st, 2008, 01:27 AM
yes is the obvious answer

Dunlop1
May 31st, 2008, 01:29 AM
um yes, duh!

Don't let the politically correct try to tell you otherwise.

Wiggly
May 31st, 2008, 01:37 AM
Men serves are way faster, helps a lot to get free pts when you choke. :lol:

twight6
May 31st, 2008, 01:40 AM
Men serves are way faster, helps a lot to get free pts when you choke. :lol:

I don't think men, by definition, are mentally stronger... but I think this is true. They do haev a lot less pressure when they serve hard, but that doesn't me that when their serve is off they won't be less likely to break down.

That being said, (most) women are more emotional, not only sensitively emotional but care about a lot more things, let a lot more things effect them- they dont' just brush things off!

LegendsofTennis
May 31st, 2008, 01:40 AM
Some say WTA = Weaker Tennis Association?

Poova
May 31st, 2008, 01:42 AM
In general, yes, but then you look at someone like Mathieu. :tape:

scoobsuk
May 31st, 2008, 01:46 AM
In general, yes, I think so.

Partially I think a lot of the women players struggle to handle a pressured occasion well compared to a lot of the men.

But I also think the best of 3 format hurts women in some ways. In a best of 5 match at a slam, men who start poorly have some time to work their way in. With the women, you go a quick set and a break down and it can all be over before you really settled into the match.