PDA

View Full Version : How come Jelena's match got suspended but Venus is still playing???

toxina90
May 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Jelena and Dominika should have been allowed to finish playing I hope it doesn't spoil what otherwise could have been a straightforward match for JJ...

Sylvester
May 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Stupid to stop Jankovic's match with just two games to go most likely, with Cibulkova struggling with an injury.

junlee_vee
May 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Has she gone loopy?! Why in the world wouldn't she ask to stop play when it's damn near 10 o'clock and dark? The match could have been over for the day, Pennetta would have had all night to think about closing the match out, and it would have been a brand new day for Venus.

Fuck the unforced errors, this shit pisses me off. Just stupid!:mad:

VeeJJ
May 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
That wat the fuck i"m saying!! she should have called it a 4-3 and finnished tomorrow!!!!

piksi
May 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
because with JJ - anything can happen

On the other hand - it was obvious that Venus as going to lose so why prolong it ?

Paialii
May 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm surprised you thought Venus WOULD say something. Venus goes with the flow, and worries about her playing and nothing more. I find it respectable that she played on. The SUPERVISOR should have fucking called play.

joeygoal
May 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Agree.

It was stupid of her to continue.

Anyways, best of luck to Venus and Serena in Wimbledon. They have a lot of work to do and hopefully they are ready for it.

tennislover
May 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Is there still enough light at 9:45 PM in Paris at the end of May? :eek:

joeygoal
May 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised you thought Venus WOULD say something. Venus goes with the flow, and worries about her playing and nothing more. I find it respectable that she played on. The SUPERVISOR should have fucking called play.
She does go with the flow. I remember her Wimbledon match against Sprem in 2004.

I thought she could have changed that about her.

Sylvester
May 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM

I'm also surprised, but there was! :eek:

It was better than those cloudy days in Wimbledon where it looks the sky is about to get dark at midday! :lol:

tennislover
May 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
It was better than those cloudy days in Wimbledon where it looks the sky is about to get dark at midday! :lol:

:lol:
you know, wimbledon is a world apart

Ted of Teds Tennis
May 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I found this site (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=195) that claims sunset for today in Paris is 9:44 PM, which is about the time the match finished. Of course, inside a stadium it would probably be darker than out in a field. I only watched the first set, expecting the match to get called, so I don't know how dark it was inside the stadium. (Remember, as well, that a camera can open up much more than the human eye, so the camera doesn't show very well how dark it is to the human eye.)

tennislover
May 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Has she gone loopy?! Why in the world wouldn't she ask to stop play when it's damn near 10 o'clock and dark? The match could have been over for the day, Pennetta would have had all night to think about closing the match out, and it would have been a brand new day for Venus.
Fuck the unforced errors, this shit pisses me off. Just stupid!:mad:

A Z-level player would have done it: Venus is a champion and a champion doesn't ask to stop the match.....

TheBoiledEgg
May 30th, 2008, 08:10 PM
if both players wanna stay out there then they carry on

Flavia obviously didnt wanna go off

all Venus had to do was say we stop to umpire and they would have been told to pack up.

Selah
May 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM

I was just in Paris and I was amazed at how light it was after 9pm at this time of year.

TheBoiledEgg
May 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I was just in Paris and I was amazed at how light it was after 9pm at this time of year.

for those in the high latitudes, it gets dark VERY LATE from end Apr-end Jul :angel:
should try Scandinavia this time of yr

Dodoboy.
May 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Venus, you should have stopped :o

DA FOREHAND
May 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
because Venus would get more flak, and less sympathy for complaining about playing in the dark, than Maria got for whining about a friggin photoshoot.

junlee_vee
May 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
A Z-level player would have done it: Venus is a champion and a champion doesn't ask to stop the match.....

Spare me that bullshit.

I don't give a damn what level of player you are, at the end of the day, it was a stupid decision and eventhough she might not say so, she'll regret it tonight.

edificio
May 30th, 2008, 10:06 PM
The referee should have called the match. She stood there looking like an idiot. Useless.