PDA

View Full Version : Williams Sisters Tennis Clock Running Out of Time, Agassi Says

Tech1
May 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Williams Sisters Tennis Clock Running Out of Time, Agassi Says

By Bob Bensch

May 30 (Bloomberg) -- Time is running out for the Williams sisters to add to their legacy of Grand Slam championships, according to eight-time major winner Andre Agassi (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Andre+Agassi&site=wnews&client=wnews&*****stylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1).

Venus and Serena Williams (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Serena+Williams&site=wnews&client=wnews&*****stylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1) must understand that time they devote to projects and causes off the court takes energy and focus away from their tennis, Agassi said in an interview with Bloomberg Radio's ``On the Ball'' program to air this weekend.

The 38-year-old American spoke hours before Serena Williams was eliminated in the third round of the French Open by Katerina Srebotnick, 6-4, 6-4. With Venus Williams (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Venus+Williams&site=wnews&client=wnews&*****stylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1) playing later today, the sisters have now won just two of their 14 Grand Slam titles since 2005.

``The Williams, you never quite know what you're going to get,'' Agassi said. ``It's a mixed bag when they show up at an event. They're incredible athletes who in my mind have the ability to dominate the sport but have found their own reasons why they're not.''

Serena Williams, 26, has devoted time in recent years to acting (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/playerbio.asp?PlayerID=230234) and fashion design. Venus Williams, 27, is a certified interior decorator (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/playerbio.asp?PlayerID=230220), and took a break this year to deal with undisclosed medical problems.

``Every time you give your energy somewhere else, there's someone else in that draw who isn't doing that, and that reveals itself over the course of time,'' Agassi said.

Off-Court Interests

Agassi said he generally was able to keep off-court interests ``in pocket'' until he retired in 2006, when he turned his attention to projects such as the Las Vegas-based Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy (http://www.agassiprep.org/), which helps at-risk children.

``You have to plan your work and work your plan,'' he said. ``So if you're clear on what you're choosing, God bless you, but there's a clock you have on a career, especially a career that's ballistic and demanding psychologically, emotionally, physically, with the travel, the time zones, just the demands that are put on you. It takes a lot just to focus on that.''

Agassi said he is dedicated to advancing his own foundation in any way possible -- well, almost any way. The former player who strutted around the court pigeon-toed and slightly stooped said he wouldn't be joining other athletes on the ABC television reality show ``Dancing With the Stars'' (http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing?channel=9239&partner=DIS03&campaign=DIS03dws) to raise foundation funds.

``There are just some places where you've got to draw the line,'' he said with a chuckle.

To contact the reporter on this story: Scott Soshnick (http://search.bloomberg.com/search?q=Scott+Soshnick&site=wnews&client=wnews&*****stylesheet=wnews&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=p&getfields=wnnis&sort=date:D:S:d1) in New York at ssoshnick@bloomberg.net.
Last Updated: May 30, 2008 11:44 EDT

NeoZod19
May 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yep!! He knows what he is talking about!!!

But I think The Williams sisters are strong and still can compete. i hope they'll stick around for another 2 years at least!

QUEENLINDSAY
May 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM
its just funny how they always talk about the williams sisters.
For me, i think we have enough of this unsolicited advice.
The williams family knows better about themselves so why dont just this journalist gives it a rest?

Marcell
May 30th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Each player has to know what works for them. We have seen a few women who focused on tennis alone and they were the ones that left the game.

homogenius
May 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Agassi is right in a way : time goes by.However, Serena's problem is not her dedication (acting, fashion design ?? ) : she won 3 tournies in a row, had a good preparation for RG and still lost.There's more than that to explain her losses in slams.
For Venus, her other interests seem to be good for her, it's just that she hasn't progressed tennis wise the past few years.The others have.

AcesHigh
May 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
He was probably directed towards this answer with a leading question.

Anyway, the outside interests thing is 2-3 years late. Both sisters have recognized this already.

SharapovaFan16
May 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
If anyone doubts Agassi's logic on anything regarding tennis you'd be foolish. He's spot on about what he says 99% of the time.

DOUBLEFIST
May 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
He was probably directed towards this answer with a leading question.

Anyway, the outside interests thing is 2-3 years late. Both sisters have recognized this already.

Agreed.

Though, Agassi- of all people- knows about this subject, distraction and outside interest that is.

Kworb
May 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Zzzzzzzzz

I doubt Agassi is attentively following the WTA these days. :p

Dave.
May 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM
:yawn:

QUEENLINDSAY
May 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
nobody is undermining Agassi comments. He's been there, done that!
but i believed this one is an unsolicited advice for the williams and its tiring to see these journalist/writers asking every tennis icon about their opinions about how dedicated the williams sisters are.

tennislover
May 30th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I used to call Agassi "the Egg man" :lol:
...but maybe he is right

AndreConrad
May 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I believe Andre is right, after all he is my name sake :p... however I am not sure if it is bad for Venus or Serena. What's important to do is to do what you want. If this is what they want; good for them and it is nobody elses business. Just my two cents :shrug:

HippityHop
May 30th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Well, he's right about the clock running out. After all, they are not getting any younger.

However I think that Venus and Serena decided a long time ago that being the greatest women players of all time was not something that they were obssessed with.

Diesel
May 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Time will officially run out the day Serena decides to hang it up and stop fighting.

rolandg
May 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well, he's right about the clock running out. After all, they are not getting any younger.

However I think that Venus and Serena decided a long time ago that being the greatest women players of all time was not something that they were obssessed with.

Exactly, and that's why I like them so much. Tennis is, at the end of the day, nothing more than a silly game, and Venus and Serena seem to understand that better than any other pro. I think that's something that should be admired, rather than criticised.

ladydiana
May 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Mr. Williams always said that tennis would not be the thing that defined Venus or Serena. Tennis was their avenue to make millions of dollars to launch them into other businesses.
In case Andre doesn't know, Venus and Serena has been transitioning out of tennis for years, while playing part time tennis to keep their money flow coming in. Just think, Venus has obtained a degree, opened up a very successful interior design company that design homes and businesses, and she's launched her own line of clothing. The same can be said for Serena and her fashion.
Venus has always said the most important title for her was winning wimbeldon over and over again, more than any other title.
I really don't like Venus to play after Serena loses because it mentally drags her down. This is not the first time this has happened. I really wish Venus would have played on tomorrow.
Venus is really a part time player; more so than Serena. Venus has her company and clothing line to market, and that takes time and she has to oversee her business interest.
The other girls have to play year around, just to be good as Venus and Serena. They can't walk into Wimbledon like Venus after having played little tennis this year and win the whole thing.
Venus and Serena are just athletically gifted and the other girls have to train and work all year long.

kiwifan
May 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Every tennis players clock is "running out of time".

As if that means anything. :yawn:

frontier
May 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Why dont these former players speak about Lindsay's time running out ,Momo,Patty or Srebotnik these players are around the same age.I find it disrespectful to commend like that when you dont know what is going on personally.Every player's time will wind down same with Roger and Andy .I find his comments disingenuous and have no place in the sisters lives.:mad:

SV_Fan
May 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
true but not true. Everything is up to them. People need to understand that.

ladydiana
May 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Why doesnt these former players speak about Lindsay's time running out ,Momo,Patty or Srebotnik these players are around the same age.I find it disrespectful to commend like that when you dont know what is going on personally.Every player's time will wind down same with Roger and Andy .I find his comments disingenuous and have no place in the sisters lives

ITA Frontier.
In regards to Andy, I doubt if he'll ever win another grand slam because he has a big serve with a mediocre game. And all of the top players have learned how to return his serve, because they've played him enough to get a read on it.
James Blake is just a show off shot maker and he plays his matches with no thought about game strategy at all. James will just be one of the boys who likes to appease the tournament and pay homage to Agassi by dressing like him.
And Andre is one to talk, considering he stayed in the game well into his 30's.

Minotaur
May 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Agassi said bullshit

Serena and Venus can do everything that they want, they've won a lot, they still can win a lot

As long as they want it

And wasn't it Andre who sometimes didn't care about tennis at all but while he was motivated he could bring his level back?!

Lolo8
Dec 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I just had to comeback and laugh at this thread.:lol::lol::lol:

2Black
Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
It seems like this been happening thru out the new millenium.

Venus counted out & rumored to retire way back in 2000. Then she went on to win 4 out of 6 grand slams. lol

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Time will officially run out the day Serena decides to hang it up and stop fighting.

Agreed!

And I mean, on the ATP there was a Sampras/Federer to contend with.

Not only does Serena have more majors than most of the people who have had "constructive criticisms" to offer, but there's really no 1 dominant force in the game that's keeping her out of the 2nd week of majors.

Honestly, as she (and Venus for that matter) have gotten older, they've started playing smarter. That's only going to give them more time. I, HONESTLY, don't see them being out of contention for any of the 4 majors until they officially and categorically retire from the sport. And BOTH of them have said that they were going to hang around until the London OG at LEAST!

They'll both, probably, finish with double digit majors, and Serena could realistically pass BJK and be near Evert/Navratiliova if she works hard enough for the next 4/5 years.

Andre definitely knows what it's like to have outside interests, but I think the Williams sisters, and the people around them, know what's best for them.

Ciarán
Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if these girls went on forever :rolleyes:

LDF
Dec 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
:yawn: As someone else said, Andre's a bit late with the 'outside interests' comment. I don't know if he's been following the WTA closely at all this year but to me Venus and Serena have shown more dedication [particularly Serena] than they have done in perhaps the last few seasons.

Anyway, with the style of play they possess, I don't see either player fading away as they approach the end of their careers. I think they'll always be strong contenders right up until the day they decide to hang up the racquet [much like Graf was] and if they decide to go on for at least 3-5 more years, I would be surprised if they both didn't cross the 10-Slam mark.

Jakeev
Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
At least for Venus, I think she is gonna prove Andre wrong and play through 2012. It's just gonna depend on how healthy she is, NOT what she has going outside of tennis.

sipnsurfMurph
Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
This from the dude that skipped Wimbledon 'cause white was drab?

Lindsayfan32
Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah I don't agree with Andre at all. The Williams sisters won two slams between them and Serena played in another final this year.It matter of how much they want it and they still look pretty hungry to me. :)

Lulu.
Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Ever players "tennis clock" is running out of time. :rolleyes:

If anything they should last longer because they don't play tennis day in and day out like other players.

jrollaneres25
Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Mr. Williams always said that tennis would not be the thing that defined Venus or Serena. Tennis was their avenue to make millions of dollars to launch them into other businesses.
In case Andre doesn't know, Venus and Serena has been transitioning out of tennis for years, while playing part time tennis to keep their money flow coming in. Just think, Venus has obtained a degree, opened up a very successful interior design company that design homes and businesses, and she's launched her own line of clothing. The same can be said for Serena and her fashion.
Venus has always said the most important title for her was winning wimbeldon over and over again, more than any other title.
I really don't like Venus to play after Serena loses because it mentally drags her down. This is not the first time this has happened. I really wish Venus would have played on tomorrow.
Venus is really a part time player; more so than Serena. Venus has her company and clothing line to market, and that takes time and she has to oversee her business interest.
The other girls have to play year around, just to be good as Venus and Serena. They can't walk into Wimbledon like Venus after having played little tennis this year and win the whole thing.
Venus and Serena are just athletically gifted and the other girls have to train and work all year long.

OMG You ARE SO WRONG>:rolleyes:

Venus has played WAAAAY more tennis than Serena has, even in 2006. Serena would be the part-time if either of them are, which I think they're not.

youizahoe
Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Agassi is a fool, he's known for being quite a dumb ass, can't even prepare his own victory speeches.

Serena and Venus are not finished yet, the way tennis is right now, they can play for 20 more years + They'll win more when the level is decent enough to be even called challenging. In the top 20, they are the only ones that are both capable of being a few steps in front everytime.

Players must be lucky Serena and Venus haven't found their peak yet, or they wouldn't even win any tournament they are playing in.

debopero
Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
I think Venus and Serena know whats best for Venus and Serena :) .

darrinbaker00
Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Agassi is a fool, he's known for being quite a dumb ass, can't even prepare his own victory speaches.

Serena and Venus are not finished yet, the way tennis is right now, they can play for 20 more years + They'll win more when the level is decent enough to be even called challenging. In the top 20, they are the only ones that are both capable of being a few steps in front everytime.

Players must be lucky Serena and Venus haven't found their peak yet, or they wouldn't even win any tournament they are playing in.
If you're going to call someone dumb, please don't misspell a simple word like "speeches." It doesn't look good.

youizahoe
Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
If you're going to call someone dumb, please don't misspell a simple word like "speeches." It doesn't look good.

I think I'm human, so I'm allowed to mistakes, cause I can speak 5 languages fluently.

darrinbaker00
Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
I think I'm human, so I'm allowed to mistakes, cause I can speak 5 languages fluently.
OK.....

Direwolf
Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
I think that he is saying it because he knows
that the sisters are
better than Graf and Seles...
and
that he feels sad that they are way behind the GS titles
that his wife has??

Lucas_Arg
Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
They need to stay until we find bigger stars in the tour.
Without them Sharapova is the only one left.

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
from the time you start playing your clock is running out :shrug:

Serenita
Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
:yawn:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
that the sisters are
and
that his wife has??

"Better" than Graf?! Dear GAWD. I was not a fan of Steffi back in the day, but I would NEVER argue that ANYONE was "better" than her. Arguably, Steffi is the GOAT of women's tennis.

Chrissie Evert thought that Serena could be the GOAT (Greatest of all time) had she given everything, and you people on this site nearly drilled her a new asshole! For thinking Serena had the most gifts of all time -- but that she didn't choose to take advantage to seek that GOAT status. Her choice (which Chris also said). Andre seems to agree that more effort could have been given.

Andre is right in saying that an athletes time is finite. There's an athletes life, which is short, then the rest of their life which is (God willing) the longest part.

It IS a fact that you never know what you're going to get from a WS at a tournament, but that's how they are. They never promised or said that they were going to spend every moment of their prime only on tennis. I think they're still around today because they have given less over the years, so they have more left in the tank now.

Andre was not dissing anyone, but sharing his experience. After 21 years on the pro tour, he should know. If you add what he's learned from Mrs Stefanie Graf Agassi to the mix -- well, he's got a lot of experience to draw on.

darrinbaker00
Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
that the sisters are
and
that his wife has??
Please, please, PLEASE give up the :smoke: . It's obviously messing with your mind.