PDA

View Full Version : 'Davenport is out of French Open' - what the hell?!?!!

lindsayno1
May 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
She was never playing anyway?!?!!?!

Former world number one Lindsay Davenport has pulled out of the French Open due to personal reasons.

The 31-year-old, who reached the semi-finals in 1998, took an 11-month break to have a baby and returned to the sport in September 2007.

Davenport's American compatriots Meilen Tu and Meghann Shaughnessy have also pulled out because of injury worries.

In the men's draw, 2004 runner-up Guillermo Coria will replace the injured Andy Roddick.

Davenport won three out of four tournaments after returning just three months after giving birth to son Jagger.

She was defeated in the second round of the Australian Open in February by Maria Sharapova and went out of the quarter-finals of the Sony Ericsson Open in April.

Later in April she was forced to withdraw from the semi-finals of Amelia Island Championships in Florida due to illness.

During her illustrious career Davenport picked up an Olympic gold medal with the USA in 1996 and won the US Open in 1998.

The following year she won Wimbledon and she clinched the Australian Open in 2000.

The French Open starts on 25 May.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 21st, 2008, 12:58 PM
All the more time to prepare for Wimbledon :angel:.

The Daviator
May 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
You're on the entry list until you formally withdraw which is why Lindsay has 'pulled out' now, I'm glad she didn't make up an injury as her excuse :lol:

Dave.
May 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
'personal reasons' always sounds so serious. :unsure:

Anyway, I hope she's been practicing on her neighbours' grasscourt this past month. I just want RG to get out of the way now. :o

lindsayno1
May 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
i dont care for Roland Garros - i hate that tourney!

Lindsayfan32
May 21st, 2008, 11:50 PM
I'm not surprised by Lindsay's withdrawal but the reason given took me by surprise. I hope it's nothing too serious and Lindsay been home training on grass and will be ready for Eastbourne and Wimbledon they are both tournaments Lindsay has a great chance of doing well at. Let's just hope that Jagger not going to become a big brother any time soon.

LindsayRulz
May 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
First thing she said when she came back was that she didn't plan to play RG. I guess "personnal reason" means "I don't care about RG". :shrug:

Nikki
May 22nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
At least this way she doesn't have to have an injury excuse:)

thelittlestelf
May 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM
"Personal reasons" haha, thanks for being honest Lindsay!