PDA

View Full Version : Did Kim was in Belgian Olympic team?

Come-on-kim
Aug 7th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Did someone know it??

And what was her result?

Bigkimfan
Aug 7th, 2002, 08:38 PM
No, I don't think so.

:bounce: :bounce: C'mon Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Frau Antje
Aug 7th, 2002, 09:17 PM
no, she wasn't
Sabine, Dominique aND Els were in the team

Come-on-kim
Aug 7th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Is it 4 players per team normally?

nicky
Aug 8th, 2002, 08:02 AM
I don't know how many players per team it is, but Kim wasn't there because she didn't want to. She was selected, but she decided it did not fit her program or her preparation for the new season. Some people in Belgium were mad at her because it's a honour to represent your country at the olympics, but she proved herself right by getting great results shortly after the olypics.

Nicky

KaseyL
Aug 9th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Hi Nicky! Welcome!

Kim's participation at the next Olympics might also be in jeopardy...

the latest I heard was that there are difficulties re the requirements of the Belgian Olympic committee; these wouldn't really suit Kim, and on top of that there are some other reserves from the Clijsters.

It would be a shame if they couldn't reach an agreement, but I fully can understand the reasons of the Clijsters to be less than thrilled by the conditions of the Belgian committee so far.

KaseyL
Aug 9th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Here's what Kim's dad said on the matter:

(Source: Flemish newspaper De Standaard,
my own translation)

"Q.:You also don’t have a very good understanding with sports associations like the Flemish Tennis Association and the Olympic Committee for instance.

Lei Clijsters: ’I don’t doubt the good intentions of these people, but when I hear the President of the Belgian Olympic Committee claiming that they have supported Kim financially last year… Where does he get that!? When the Games came up for discussion, I found out that I had to pay the expenses (note: hotel) of the coach myself. I find that difficult. Certainly when you know that they invite their Vips at a cost of € 500 a day.

Furthermore I don’t like the contract that has to be signed for the Games this year. It says that the sponsors of the Belgian Olympic Committee have rights on the Olympic athletes. But our contracts with our sponsors clearly state that we cannot close deals with a rival sponsor.’

Q: So Kim will also not participate at the upcoming Games?

Lei: ’I don’t know. The Games have a certain prestige. I am sure that Kim would like to participate but the conditions must be realistic.

END

Come-on-kim
Aug 9th, 2002, 05:34 PM
OMG, I hope she'll play!!!

KaseyL
Oct 8th, 2002, 10:39 PM
I am a bit late in posting this, but oh well...

Latest news from the past weekend:

Kim is on the selection list for the Belgian Olympic team in 2004!
So let's hope she really will participate!
:bounce:

One weird thing though; the info from the Belgian Olympic Comittee was mentioning a session with all the selected athletes in South Africa in November... don't see Justine Henin going there though, to name one, as she is going to get married around that period, and both Kim and justine have to be in Belgium for their exhibition match, also scheduled in that period...

I suppose that must be the practice session in 2003 already, dunno...