PDA

View Full Version : The Alicia Molik Cup

Ben.
May 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Here is an excerpt from the May Issue of the Australian Tennis Magazine about a Under 12s Australian Tournament named after Alicia :)
I decided to post this since she's struggling at the moment & it would be nice to hear something positive about her for a change.

I had to type the article up since I can't be bothered scanning it etc.

The inaugural Alicia Molik Cup was held from Saturday 19 April to Sunday 20 April at the Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club. The event, held by Tennis Victoria in association with the Kooyong Foundation, is a new event on the Metropolitan and Regional Teams Events calender, and follows the successful introdution of the Frank Sedgman and Wayne Arthurs Cups.

The Sedgman Cup targets 11-year old players and was held from 4 to 5 August 2007 at the Bendigo Tennis Complex. For 10-year-olds, the Wayne Arthurs Cup is their first taste of team tennis at the scene of many Davis Cup heroics, and was held from 15 to 16 December at Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club. The Alicia Molik Cup, which targets 12-year olds, will fill the gap between the Sedgman and the Fitzgerald Cups (for 13 year olds).

Each of the 16 teams consists of two boys and two girls, playing four singles matches and two mixed doubles matches each tie.
"The team' events are proving to be so popular that we have introduced the Alicia Molik Cup," says Tennis Victoria's National Academy-Melbourne manager Nick Hinneberg.
"Alicia is such a terrific role model for the young tennis players. She epitomies the very qualities that we wish to emphasise in these events, such as sportsmanship, team spirit, participation and competition."
"This new event for the younger age group has been established in keeping with Tennis Australia's talent development program. We are extremely excited to have Alicia Molik put her name to the event," says Hinneberg.

The Alicia Molik Cup is supported by the Kooyong Foundation, Tennis Victoria and AAMI. The official ball supplier is Wilson Sporting Goods.

scottsue
May 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks for typing this up for us bg017! You re right too. It is good to hear some good news for a change.

Daniel.
May 18th, 2008, 11:17 AM
After all she has had a great career, lets just hope there are more fantastic moments. Every player has their low points and we shall see if she can pull herself out of it once again. Nevertheless she is up there with the best of Australias women over the last half century and hundreds of young Aussies idolise her and would be honored to play in a tournament after her! Love you Alicia!!! (Start winning though you frustrate the hell out of me sometimes!)

Talita Kumi
May 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
very deserved Alicia :sobbing::hug:

azza
May 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM
The Alicia Molik can't win a match cup

Ben.
May 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
The Alicia Molik can't win a match cup

Don't you dare use that offensive language when you bad rep me :rolleyes: And learn some proper grammar for once :rolleyes:
And here's another suggestion, don't post negative crap in a thread that is meant to be positive about Alicia.

azza
May 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Its hard to be positive when she loses to everyone and anyone these days and doesnt play challengers to "try" and win atleast 1 match who does she think she is?

and um bite me?

miss_molik
Jun 19th, 2008, 06:46 AM
we know it's frustrating that she isn't winning at the moment, but it's her life, geez, leave it alone