PDA

View Full Version : Since Democratic Party embraced Equal RIghts for Blacks, Whites have voted Republican

Volcana
May 10th, 2008, 04:15 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-levine/will-obama-win-enough-whi_b_100890.html

Apparently white people hold a grudge for a long time: ever since Democrats pushed for African-American voting rights and integration, most whites haven't voted for a Democratic presidential candidate for over 40 years, even as the racial animus got translated into a cleaned-up anti-govenment, anti-crime, anti-tax message. The full story is told in such brilliant books as Chain Reaction (http://www.amazon.com/Chain-Reaction-Impact-American-Politics/dp/0393309037) co-authored by Huffington Post political director Thomas Edsall, well-chronicled in this early 90s' essay on the Democats' increasingly alienated (http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=from_crisis_to_working_majority)w hite working-class and middle-class supporters who now potentially can be won back in hard times, especially after the Republican crack-up.

Just a note

abercrombieguy23
May 10th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Jesus Christ give it a rest....

Can we talk about the high oil prices, the shitty economy, the two wars we have going on, the global warming crisis

miffedmax
May 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM
That's not an entirely fair statement. In the Nixon years, the Republicans decided to push for a "Southern strategy" designed to break up what had been the "solid South," which was largely conservative Democrats who held a grudge against the Republicans for Reconstruction. They pushed a comprehensive strategy that often included a subtle sort of racism, e.g. ranting about urban "welfare queens" at a time when most welfare recipients were white and rural. But I personally know of many younger Republicans who are not racist who support the social conservatism, deregulation, strong defense posture (whether this posing actually results in stronger defense is debatable) and cling to the idea that today's Republican party is somehow "fiscally responsible" (yes, and up is down and day is night).

I think there are some older, Southern Republicans who consciously or unconsciously vote Republican because the Democrats embraced civil rights, but there are a lot of others for whom it's not a factor.

I personally think the Southern strategy has been a disaster for the Repubs as it's all but destroyed the moderate wing of the party.

It's also worth pointing out that there is a difference between the more traditional Western states Republicans who tend to be more "Old School" and believe in small government and controlled spending. The Newt Gingrich/Tom DeLay tactics of putting party first is starting to show cracks--witness the number of conservatives who don't think John McCain is "conservative enough."

Sam L
May 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM
And some people still vote Democrat because those damn Republicans freed their slaves. So what's new? :shrug:

Ryan
May 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry, but wasn't in mainly WHITE democrats that worked to give african-american's equal rights?

Sam L
May 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry, but wasn't in mainly WHITE democrats that worked to give african-american's equal rights?
A lot of Jews too. Two of the civil rights activists killed in 1964 in Mississippi were Jewish.

ys
May 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Can we talk about the high oil prices, the shitty economy, the two wars we have going on, the global warming crisis

Yeah, we can talk.. As it is only in the next presidency we'll probably learn what is REALLY high oil prices ( the demand is rapidly growing, the supply is not, what can you do about it 3.50 per gallon is still bearable, it will be close to 10 in 4 years time), what REALLY is a shitty economy - last 16 years or so will look like Golden Era , people are moaning now, they will be reminded what is it to live under inflation way over 5%, and the current forecast for next decade actually suggests global cooling, temporary though perhaps..

kiwifan
May 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Why are you in such an angry state of denial?

You seem to flit from thread to thread acting like the ultimate victim whenever anyone mentions racial issues.

Kinda strange. ;)

Volcana
May 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Sorry, but wasn't in mainly WHITE democrats that worked to give african-american's equal rights?Actually, from a legislative perspective, it was white Republicans. Back inthe 50's and 60's, there were liberals in the Republican party, and conservatives in the Democratic party.That's not an entirely fair statement.It's fair. It just sheds more heat than light.

mykarma
May 11th, 2008, 01:26 AM

and how Hillary supporters will vote for McCain just because.

mykarma
May 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
And some people still vote Democrat because those damn Republicans freed their slaves. So what's new? :shrug:
:scratch::cuckoo:

mykarma
May 11th, 2008, 01:36 AM

You seem to flit from thread to thread acting like the ultimate victim whenever anyone mentions racial issues.

Kinda strange. ;)
Except if it's Hillary or any of her die heart supporters and one in particular.

le bon vivant
May 11th, 2008, 02:16 AM
And some people still vote Democrat because those damn Republicans freed their slaves. So what's new? :shrug:Um...I dont think so Sam. LOL. :o

Volcana
May 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
In a lot of ways, the interesting point of the thread runs the other way. Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton (twice) got elected even though most white voters voted for their opponents.

Conclusions/Ancillary data?

The Democratic nominee can win without a majority of white voters.
As immigration increases, coupled with the fact that non-whites in the USA have a higher birth-rate than whites in the USA, the percentage of white-Americans goes down every year. Which means the number of on-white voters probably goes down every year.
Immigrants probably vote in a higher percentage than the American-born. Why? Americans have one of the lowest voting rates of any country where most citizens have the right to vote.

meyerpl
May 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
In a lot of ways, the interesting point of the thread runs the other way. Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton (twice) got elected even though most white voters voted for their opponents.

Conclusions/Ancillary data?

The Democratic nominee can win without a majority of white voters.
As immigration increases, coupled with the fact that non-whites in the USA have a higher birth-rate than whites in the USA, the percentage of white-Americans goes down every year. Which means the number of on-white voters probably goes down every year.
Immigrants probably vote in a higher percentage than the American-born. Why? Americans have one of the lowest voting rates of any country where most citizens have the right to vote.
Interesting. I think there is an element of truth to the thread's premise but I doubt that the cause and effect is as sweeping as is suggested.

While a pro-civil rights candidate can win without a majority of white voters, one cannot be elected without a lot of white voters. I suspect I'd be disappointed to learn how many white voters won't support a minority or pro-civil rights candidate because of bigotry. I also suspect that number is steadily shrinking.

Williamsser
May 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Affirmative action is why many whites stopped voting Democrat. They believe that selection should be based on merit not race.

woosey
May 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM

it depends on what period of american history you are looking at.

for years white republicans took it on the chin from white slaveocrats/dixiecrats because they worked to ban slavery and ensure blacks had rights.

the 40 acres and a mule scheme was something republicans were going to give to blacks. it was the white dixiecrats who made sure that did not happen.

the early republicans tried to protect blacks from the klan, which a federal grand jury characterized as a terrorist group.

the early civil rights acts (1875) were republican creations.

republicans were mostly responsible for the 14th amendment - equal protection under the law. they came up with the amendment to guarantee blacks the right to vote - in the 19th century!

the early black members of the house (during reconstruction) were in fact republicans.

white democrats blocked every conceivable path to equality and full participation of blacks in the earlier days of this country.

imo, many of the white republicans of today are in fact dixiecrats. they are not true republicans - at least in the sense that they were in the early days of this country.

so republicans have a marvelous record of civil rights and anti-racism - in the early days. now, they are a shameful party. the party of lincoln embraces southern whites who in turn won't let go of that dumb confederate flag.

woosey
May 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Affirmative action is why many whites stopped voting Democrat. They believe that selection should be based on merit not race.

that's not true.

besides, affirmative action was pushed mightily by none other than richard nixon.

abercrombieguy23
May 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Kinda strange. ;)
Cause its about race 90% of the time anything political comes up on here...
Cause my best friend who is black thinks you're all ridiculous...
Cause Volcana posts a pro obama article daily ....
I'm the Victim :lol:...yes people are racist....yes people are homophobic....yes people are sexist....yes people are agists...
This is the world we live in....

meyerpl
May 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'm the Victim :lol:...yes people are racist....yes people are homophobic....yes people are sexist....yes people are agists...
This is the world we live in....Fuck. I feel sorry for Little Richard. He doesn't stand a chance!

abercrombieguy23
May 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-dems11-2008may11,0,71247.story
"If he's chosen as the Democratic nominee, his race might be an issue, but experience and social issues loom much larger"
Direct quote supporting my point..MY ORIGINAL POINT

Thkmra
May 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-dems11-2008may11,0,71247.story
"If he's chosen as the Democratic nominee, his race might be an issue, but experience and social issues loom much larger"
Direct quote supporting my point..MY ORIGINAL POINT

And the fact that Hillary-agreed by both sides, is:

'One of the most polarizing figures in American Politics today..you either hate, or love her, coupled with the fact that she has an excess of baggage, the salacious scandals of the Clinton Administration, White Water, the fact that nominating her will serve nothing nore than to Galvanize the Republican-conservative base, when the party has a whole is literaly in taters, when in every possible way the cards are stacked against them, this voting cycle; low voter-turnout, subpar morale, and enthussiam, and satisfaction is at an all-time low!!!.....Also poignant! :)

samsung101
May 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Abe Lincoln. Republican.
Detractors of Lincoln were largely Democrats and those parties that
joined the Democrats later on.
Majority of Republican lawmakers voted for the Civil Rights Act, while only
about half the Democratic lawmakers did in the 1960's.
Fulbright (Clinton's personal mentor) voted against the act.
Al Gore Sr. voted against it.
Bobby Byrd, KKK member for several years.
George Wallace when he was an active segregationist,Democrat.
JFK and RFK both campaigned in the south for the White House, next to Wallace.

The Democratic Party has a long, sordid record involving racism going back over 100
years.

Yes, Republicans have the bad spots there too. No one denies that.
But, this ridiculous accepted notion that only the Democrats have championed
modern or historical civil rights is just nonsense.

Today, many Affirmative Action opponents base it not on race, but, on fairness in
the modern world where we have other laws and action which has changed the face of
our society.

That and the fact over half the nation is not white. Many Americans are of mixed
ethnic backgrounds.

'Whites' vote Republican .... Most will and do. True. But, they are not the majority
of the nation. Why is it most ethnic groups, hispanic, asian, gay, jewish, etc., will
vote partially Republican...but, the black voting block will vote 95%+ for one party.
The Democrats know this, and do in fact take that voting block for granted.

Even as most Americans have shown in the past 50 years they will vote for a black, hispanic,
woman, asian, jew, christian, etc., for a top political office, and/or accept them as a top
govt. official if appoinged to the court or cabinet....... All but one: Mormons. As Romney
found out, you will not get many white, black, hispanic votes, if you're Mormon.

McCain should lose because he is a terrible candidate.
The Democrats should win big with Obama or HIllary or Biden or almost any other
Democrat.
John McCain is a war hero, lauded senator, media friendly guy who is 71 years old,
he has spent more time dissing the conservative wing of his own party, and the GOP
in general, and can't figure out why now he isn't being lovingly supported by that party.
He should be wiped out in November.

samsung101
May 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Affirmative Action should not eliminate qualified individuals for far less qualified
individuals based on race, i.e., what the many firemen and police and university
admission lawsuits were about. It really came to a head when in state after state,
more qualified non-black, hispanic, etc., candidates were being looked over for
promotions for less qualified minorities. I don't think that was what the intent of AA
was supposed to be. Add in that included mixed race 'white' people not being promoted,
or white women being left behind for a black male, or hispanic female.

Race is not a the major issue of the day. Sorry, it isn't. It has not been for a long time.
Most cities, towns, schools, do not have huge racial or even small racial fights or divisions.
That seems to stun people. But, Obama winning Iowa was not a surprise to anyone by people outside
of Iowa. A woman being elected Gov. of Alaska is not a suprise to anyone but the people outside
of Alaska. Steele being a top state official in Ohio was a surprise for many to see in 2004, but,
the guy was a long time top Ohio figure.

People will vote with how they feel at the moment.
People are being told how the nation is by our media, all one sided, as usual...and that is
not a side favorable to any Republican.

Bush has low approval ratings.
Odd thing is that the people elected in 2006 as a slap in the face to Bush...the Democratic
Congress...have an even lower approval rating than Bush.
Go figure.

mykarma
May 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Speaking of equality or merits, whites stopped voting democratic because democrats changed jim crow laws. In case you're not aware of Jim crow thoe are the laws that denied blacks equality in the south. We're not talking about during the time of slavery, we're talking about during President Johnson's administration and whites have the nerve to talk about affirmative action not being fair based on merit, yeah right.

égalité
May 12th, 2008, 03:06 AM
and how Hillary supporters will vote for McCain just because.

That's true. Also, I'm sure a lot of the Obama supporters that said they would switch to McCain should Hillary get the nomination just because they refuse to vote for a woman.

This presidential race is illuminating a lot of pretty disturbing racist and sexist trends within BOTH parties.

égalité
May 12th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Affirmative Action should not eliminate qualified individuals for far less qualified individuals based on race

Right, it shouldn't. And it doesn't.

Likewise, white male heterosexuals shouldn't have white male heterosexual privilege. And they do.

mykarma
May 12th, 2008, 04:53 AM
This is the world we live in....
How is that about race?

abercrombieguy23
May 12th, 2008, 04:56 AM
How is that about race?

Not about race...just an annoyance I have noted....

mykarma
May 12th, 2008, 04:57 AM
That's true. Also, I'm sure a lot of the Obama supporters that said they would switch to McCain should Hillary get the nomination just because they refuse to vote for a woman.

This presidential race is illuminating a lot of pretty disturbing racist and sexist trends within BOTH parties.
I've heard that some say they will not vote at all because of some of the statements that they deem racist that the Clinton's have said. Some others feel as though Hillary has been trying to ruin Obama so he can't win so she can run again in 2012, not because they're sexist.

mykarma
May 12th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Not about race...just an annoyance I have noted....
Since they're put in the Obama thread why is it an annoyance?

égalité
May 12th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I've heard that some say they will not vote at all because of some of the statements that they deem racist that the Clinton's have said. Some others feel as though Hillary has been trying to ruin Obama so he can't win so she can run again in 2012, not because they're sexist.

I'm not saying that everyone who's not voting for Hillary is sexist. I'm sure it's a contributing factor for a disappointingly high number of people, though. Same for Obama with racism.

In The Zone
May 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Speaking of equality or merits, whites stopped voting democratic because democrats changed jim crow laws. In case you're not aware of Jim crow thoe are the laws that denied blacks equality in the south. We're not talking about during the time of slavery, we're talking about during President Johnson's administration and whites have the nerve to talk about affirmative action not being fair based on merit, yeah right.

Racist.

mykarma
May 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Racist.
:yawn: stretching it aren't you? :lol: