PDA

View Full Version : Man who lost houses in Katrina wins $97 million lottery

Williamsser
May 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
http://media.2news.tv/images/080509_Carl_Hunter.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/nation/18797584.html

BATON ROUGE, La. — A construction company owner who lost two homes in Hurricane Katrina claimed a $97 million Powerball prize, a jackpot won off a ticket he bought at a convenience store where he stopped to buy a gallon of milk.

When he turned in the winning ticket, Carl Hunter became the largest Powerball winner in Louisiana's history. He won the jackpot in January, but the 73-year-old small businessman waited nearly four months to claim the prize.

An avid lottery player, Hunter said he already had bought a Powerball ticket on Jan. 16 at the gas station less than two blocks from his home in the New Orleans suburb of Metairie. But he stopped at the station again that day to buy milk — at the request of his wife, Dianne — and got a second "quick pick" ticket.

"I had some change, and one dollar was used to buy this ticket," Hunter said Thursday at the Louisiana Lottery Corp. headquarters in Baton Rouge, where he claimed his prize.

"It's all about milk," Dianne Hunter said, smiling.

The couple, surrounded by cameras, was decidedly low-key about the multimillion dollar win, saying they didn't have specific plans for the money — besides retirement and the rebuilding of a camp lost to Katrina.

"I'm retiring, you know, naturally," Carl said.

Hunter took a lump sum payment that will give him $33.9 million after taxes, according to lottery officials. Asked why he waited so long to turn in the winning ticket, Hunter said he wanted to wrap up some of his construction work and finish his outstanding contracts. Dianne said he was still at work this week.

"I don't think about buying elaborate cars or homes," Hunter said.

Hunter said he owned two homes that were destroyed in 2005 by Katrina, and he and his wife moved into a Metairie home she owned after the storm, the home that was near the gas station where he bought his winning ticket.

The multimillion dollar win wasn't Hunter's first winning lottery ticket. He said he won $5,000 off a ticket a few years ago.

West Metairie Shell, the gas station where Hunter bought his ticket, will get $25,000 for selling the winning ticket. The station, tucked among brick ranch homes and raised wooden houses in a middle-class neighborhood, lost its roof during Katrina, and the store was looted.

Destiny
May 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
omg
nice going

BigB08822
May 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
How nice to have 2 homes to lose. I am sorry for the man but it doesn't sound like he was bad off in any way. Of course, he might have lost his business in the hurricane. I'm just in a pissy mood today, aren't I? I'll shut up now.

Kart
May 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM
People pay tax on their lottery winnings ?

BigB08822
May 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, a very large tax. Nearly half I believe!

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
People pay tax on their lottery winnings ?

Uh huh! Uncle Sam wants his cut of the free money too :lol:

Kart
May 9th, 2008, 05:09 PM
That's ridiculous - I thought the whole point was that it's tax free (at least I think it is in England.)

Not that it matters between $97 million to $33 million - you'd need a lifetime to spend that much - but I'd resent my £10 becoming £6 !

Not that I play the lottery.

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
That's ridiculous - I thought the whole point was that it's tax free (at least I think it is in England.)

Not that it matters between $97 million to $33 million - you'd need a lifetime to spend that much - but I'd resent my £10 becoming £6 !

This is how it is in the US baby. You also have to pay taxes on the remaining loot if you decide to invest. One cannot escape taxes over here :shrug:

Scotso
May 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
How nice to have 2 homes to lose. I am sorry for the man but it doesn't sound like he was bad off in any way.

Agreed.

Scotso
May 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Most of the money disappears when you choose to take a lump sum, not because of taxes. Taxes take about a third.

Nikki
May 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM

I think its tax free for a year & then you start to pay tax on it in the UK

austennis
May 10th, 2008, 02:43 AM
why do ppl care if he owned his own homes before... just because u have a couple of properties dosnt mean u dont deserve to win the lottery.. and the fact he still working at 73 gives me the impression he worked hard for what he had

skanky~skanketta
May 10th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I dont get it, how come everytime there's a big lottery win its by someone who's about to kick the bucket?

mirzalover
May 10th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I dont get it, how come everytime there's a big lottery win its by someone who's about to kick the bucket?

I know, its like you must be 45 or older to even have a chance at the win. I quess thats a good thing though, I would imagine that if someone around 21 won the lottery they would quit school and end up blowing away most of it. I know if I won the lottery right now I would try to stay in school but in the end I wouldnt have the motivation to try hard. I would just be like fuck Research Methods I got 33 million in the bank.

mckyle.
May 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Ugh. Why take the lump sum and only get that much?

Scotso
May 10th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Ugh. Why take the lump sum and only get that much?

Because he's not going to live 20 years.

Pasta-Na
May 10th, 2008, 06:13 AM
good on him :p