PDA

View Full Version : I got FIRED today

Reuchlin
May 9th, 2008, 02:11 AM
So I work for this company doing data entry-- today was my 5 month review, and despite being understaffed by about 50%, I got "let go." The company is only about 30 people so everyone is very friendly and everyone in the office got along great. There was also no warning---expect the fact that I fell behind on my work because I was forced to do the work of 5 people.

doni1212
May 9th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I'm sorry. It sucks to lose your job. :hug:
So are you looking for a new one now?

SOA_MC
May 9th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Sue them for all they got:rocker2::p

Seriously it sucks to fired especially when you feel it's undeserved:sad::hug: I know the feeling

harloo
May 9th, 2008, 02:32 AM
So I work for this company doing data entry-- today was my 5 month review, and despite being understaffed by about 50%, I got "let go." The company is only about 30 people so everyone is very friendly and everyone in the office got along great. There was also no warning---expect the fact that I fell behind on my work because I was forced to do the work of 5 people.

Were you working for a temp agency? :)

hulky9999
May 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Awww... too bad. I'm sure you'll get a new job soon though. :) Cheer up.

In The Zone
May 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM
One of my best friends just got fired from my job, too.

It's hard but it's most likely for the best. Hang in there. Be proactive during your time off and everything will seem better than ever. :)

Cam'ron Giles
May 9th, 2008, 04:53 AM
It's tough out there...the job market is terrible...but I'm sure you will find something else...:hug:

alfonsojose
May 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM
:sad:

Yasmine
May 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
:hug:

Mrs. Peel
May 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
It just means something better is waiting in the wings! Hold tight, everything's going to be alright! :)

samsung101
May 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM
The job market is tight, and it's tough. It's not terrible, we still have
a national unemployment rate the world envies. In some states, it is worse
than others. OC has had a lot of jobs lost, and we're still below the
national average (with the major mortgage companies folding up their home
bases here).

But, sorry, you lost your job.
5 month review, and by your own admission, you were falling beind on the
work load. Overworked or not, that's their measuring mark.

You're smart, computer aware, and eager, so you'll land on your feet.
Probably a better job for you out there, with more personal respect.
It's their loss.

Petty of them not to give you a warning beforehand, of some kind about
the work they expected of you. Usually, you get at least 1 warning
after the probation period.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great in the new job!

Go with a temporary agency for a while. You can always bail on a job
if you hate it w/o penalty really. Pay is usually very good too.

kwilliams
May 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I hope you find something even better!

spartanfan
May 10th, 2008, 02:21 AM
How terrible. I hope you find an even better job that pays even better! Good luck.

Rocketta
Jun 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Wow that does suck! At least you are eligible for unemployment. I quit so I'm broke and umemployed....but at least I'm happier. ;)

Reuchlin
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
actually, they let me quit-- I didn't want the stain of being "fired" on my record.

miffedmax
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Well, it's cold comfort I know, but it happens to everybody. The good old days of long-term employment are pretty much gone.

On the other hand, if you were being that overworked, it's probably not so bad.

I hope you find something soon--it's a tough enconomy right now. Keep my fingers crossed for you.

Ryan
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:47 AM
You should open up a lawn mowing company. ;)

Reuchlin
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Well, it's cold comfort I know, but it happens to everybody. The good old days of long-term employment are pretty much gone.

On the other hand, if you were being that overworked, it's probably not so bad.

I hope you find something soon--it's a tough enconomy right now. Keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm goin' back to school! :)

Rocketta
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:29 AM
actually, they let me quit-- I didn't want the stain of being "fired" on my record.

except I don't know how many times I've seen on an application, "have you been fired or asked to resign?" :rolleyes:

lympyisthebest
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM
except I don't know how many times I've seen on an application, "have you been fired or asked to resign?" :rolleyes:

You could just say you were made redundant. :p

Reuchlin
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:38 AM

Well, my employment record will say "quit" -- not "asked to resign" or anything like that. Plus, was/is a customer service job (not something I'll need on my record when applying for jobs that require a Phd).

Rocketta
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Well, my employment record will say "quit" -- not "asked to resign" or anything like that. Plus, was/is a customer service job (not something I'll need on my record when applying for jobs that require a Phd).

Yeah I have a job like that..... I worked all of a month and I quit but no one notices the month break in my employment record. ;)

Reuchlin
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Yeah I have a job like that..... I worked all of a month and I quit but no one notices the month break in my employment record. ;)

You mean people actually "notice" these things? I honestly just plan to put: 2007-2008: Various employment--- cause I was workin' at Wendy's at the time and then took the job that I was fired from... What else do you put?

Ryan
Jun 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
You mean people actually "notice" these things? I honestly just plan to put: 2007-2008: Various employment--- cause I was workin' at Wendy's at the time and then took the job that I was fired from... What else do you put?

I usually put the months I worked at a place if its longer than 2 months I guess, like May - October 2008: Wendy's for example. I think as long as you don't have a ton of "job hopping" on there it won't matter, and if they bring it up you can say you decided to quit - technically its true.

Rocketta
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Actually having been on interview committees, yeah it is something you notice... not maybe a month but a couple of months yeah. Actually employment gaps is looked on worse than job hopping. i remember this one guy had a gap and after checking on it turns out he was in rehab.

Xanadu11
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Oh that sucks. But considering you were overworked though, maybe it means something much better is around the corner.

I got fired once from this horrible PR job I had. These particular PR people were totally odious. So anyway one day I kind of just didnt turn up to work, because I uhh had a better offer from my bf. And I called in like half way through the day saying I got bitten by a spider :tape: The week after I thought I could do a George, and just rocked up to work pretending nothing happened. They had already hired someone else :o I just told him, it was probably for the best and that PR was probably too shallow for me anyway and that I would get a job in law.

About a month later, I got the dream job of any law student at a barristers chamber, which I just LOVE and in the long run, if I had never been a lazy bitch, I would never have this great job. So really it was all meant to be.

victory1
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Actually having been on interview committees, yeah it is something you notice... not maybe a month but a couple of months yeah. Actually employment gaps is looked on worse than job hopping. i remember this one guy had a gap and after checking on it turns out he was in rehab.

I had a 7 months employment gap after being laid off. It was easy to explained and I had a ton of letters of recommendations from my previous job. The months fly by if you are a professional looking for a specific type of employment. Beside the interview process takes way longer, during the seven months I had several interviews for the same position. I was really heartbroken when I did not get one of them after a 8 weeks process (1 panel interview, 2 weeks later, 3 interviews the same day 30 minutes each with 3 different VPs, 3 weeks later 1 hour interview with a SVP, took another 2 weeks to get a letter that they hired someone else):rolleyes: The stupid company was GE; I'm still bitter and will not buy any GE brand still today!:tape:

Reuchlin
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM

How do interview committees view underemployment? During the time of the job that I was fired from I was working as a teaching assistant in my Department. Will that be enough to offset any suspicion? Also, keep in mind that this was just a gap year-- a year between a Masters and Phd.

Rocketta
Jun 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
How do interview committees view underemployment? During the time of the job that I was fired from I was working as a teaching assistant in my Department. Will that be enough to offset any suspicion? Also, keep in mind that this was just a gap year-- a year between a Masters and Phd.

I don't think it will be a problem as long as you meet the minimum requirements of whatever you are applying.

Rocketta
Jun 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I had a 7 months employment gap after being laid off. It was easy to explained and I had a ton of letters of recommendations from my previous job. The months fly by if you are a professional looking for a specific type of employment. Beside the interview process takes way longer, during the seven months I had several interviews for the same position. I was really heartbroken when I did not get one of them after a 8 weeks process (1 panel interview, 2 weeks later, 3 interviews the same day 30 minutes each with 3 different VPs, 3 weeks later 1 hour interview with a SVP, took another 2 weeks to get a letter that they hired someone else):rolleyes: The stupid company was GE; I'm still bitter and will not buy any GE brand still today!:tape:

yes as long as you can explain the gap, you will be fine and yes interviewing sucks. :sad:

Direwolf
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
expect the fact that I fell behind on my work because I was forced to do the work of 5 people.

maybe you didnt try your best enought?

good luck and work harder next time...