PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Grammar

pov
May 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Why is the following phrase incorrect?

".. best illustrates how Los Angeles can survive, let alone thrive, with the American League’s top record .. "

cheertennis12
May 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
it should be thrive, let alone survive.. right?

pov
May 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
it should be thrive, let alone survive.. right?
lol. No. That's what I thought at first. Although that at least makes the phrase make sense, it's still incorrect

Sally Struthers
May 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
The LA Dodgers are in the National League

Sir Stefwhit
May 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM
".. best illustrates how Los Angeles can survive, let alone thrive, with the American League’s top record .. "
I would guess it's the use of "let alone"...

".. best illustrates how Los Angeles can survive, better yet thrive, with the American League’s top record .. "

'let alone' doesn't reinforce the original idea of the sentence- is that it?

ElusiveChanteuse
May 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
The sentence is incomplete,so it's wrong?:o :shrug:

Sir Stefwhit
May 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
^it's a phrase so as long as it contains a single thought it doesn't have to be a complete sentence- but nice try.

Hardiansf
May 8th, 2008, 02:24 AM
No subject?

doni1212
May 8th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Illustrate not illustrates?

Sally Struthers
May 8th, 2008, 02:51 AM
The LA Dodgers are in the National League

I just remembered Anaheim changed names.

Anyhoo... I think "let alone" is usually used after a negative statement. He should change it to "not to mention" which is used after a positive statemtnt

Direwolf
May 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Why is the following phrase incorrect?

:confused:

Sir Stefwhit
May 8th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I just remembered Anaheim changed names.

Anyhoo... I think "let alone" is usually used after a negative statement. He should change it to "not to mention" which is used after a positive statemtnt
That's basically what I said as well (see above), I'm pretty sure that's it; he just hasn't been back to let us know... :lol:

'not to mention' is the best choice, although 'better yet' works too..