PDA

View Full Version : Munich Olympics & "Operation Wrath of God"

lympyisthebest
May 7th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm doing a history project on the Munich Olympics, but more specifically the aftermath and Israel's response aka 'Operation Wrath of God'. I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible, so if you know anything about this topic, could you please shed some light?

And for those who have seen Spielberg's movie 'Munich', how accurately do you think it portrayed the actual events? Thanks :)

Beefy
May 7th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Mate, there's so much to say about it! Munich does change a fair bit of what happened, so don't believe everything you see in it.

There's one main operation in Operation Wrath of God you need to check up on, and that Operation Spring of Youth, which made evryone realise what was happening, pretty big and important operation in it. Also check out this film called One Day In September, it's mainly about the hostage situation at the games, but covers bits of post Munich

DarkchildSwiss
May 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
there is an excellent book about terrorism in general and its history. the book is called "Why terrorism works - understanding the threat - responding to the challenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz

Beefy
May 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I remember seeing a book about the whole operation, can't remember what it was called though?

lympyisthebest
May 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Mate, there's so much to say about it! Munich does change a fair bit of what happened, so don't believe everything you see in it.

There's one main operation in Operation Wrath of God you need to check up on, and that Operation Spring of Youth, which made evryone realise what was happening, pretty big and important operation in it. Also check out this film called One Day In September, it's mainly about the hostage situation at the games, but covers bits of post Munich

Thanks, I'll read into that Operation. I'm using that documentary as a source already. It's a very good source. I liked how it showed an Israeli's perspective of the games, and how he saw it as an opportunity to put existing Israeli/Arab conflict aside.

My main question for my project is assessing how accurate the film portrayed the actual event, I'm gathering as much background info as possible, so then I can compare and contrast. Speilberg said himself that the film is historical fiction, so if anyone has seen the film, could you comment on how it differed from the actual event?

lympyisthebest
May 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM
there is an excellent book about terrorism in general and its history. the book is called "Why terrorism works - understanding the threat - responding to the challenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz

Thanks. I read some reviews on that book just now, it looks very useful. Luckily, there's a copy of that book at my local library.

Beefy
May 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks, I'll read into that Operation. I'm using that documentary as a source already. It's a very good source. I liked how it showed an Israeli's perspective of the games, and how he saw it as an opportunity to put existing Israeli/Arab conflict aside.

My main question for my project is assessing how accurate the film portrayed the actual event, I'm gathering as much background info as possible, so then I can compare and contrast. Speilberg said himself that the film is historical fiction, so if anyone has seen the film, could you comment on how it differed from the actual event?

There are some fair accuracies in it, though they did muck around with things. I don't think they killed a Dutch whore on a boat

matthias
May 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
go to www.gamesbids.com

there is a forum with lots of people who know a lot of the olympics, may they can help you too!

lympyisthebest
May 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
go to www.gamesbids.com

there is a forum with lots of people who know a lot of the olympics, may they can help you too!

Thanks, but it looks like that site is mostly about Olympic bidding.

samsung101
May 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
It was a Hollywood movie. They took great liberties for the dramatic effect, for
audiences, etc.

Much like Pearl Harbor, JFK, All The Kings Men, Good Night & Good Luck, are based on
historical things, with lots of fact woven in - they also put in a lot of fiction and
scene effects.

Wouldn't take the Speilberg movie as a historical text of the event.
A nice reference tool only.

matthias
May 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks, but it looks like that site is mostly about Olympic bidding.

may it seems
but there are many people who know a lot of the olympics in general

lympyisthebest
May 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
It was a Hollywood movie. They took great liberties for the dramatic effect, for
audiences, etc.

Much like Pearl Harbor, JFK, All The Kings Men, Good Night & Good Luck, are based on
historical things, with lots of fact woven in - they also put in a lot of fiction and
scene effects.

Wouldn't take the Speilberg movie as a historical text of the event.
A nice reference tool only.

Yeah, the movie is not a fully accurate representation of the event, and there's a lot bias as well. However, this will be easier for meto contrast the movie with the event in my essay.