PDA

View Full Version : Now 22,000 and believed up to 50,000 Killed in Cyclone in Myanmar (Burma) :eek:

drake3781
May 6th, 2008, 05:10 AM
:eek: I cannot begin to imagine this.

Cyclone in Myanmar kills at least 15,000

YANGON, Myanmar, May 5 (UPI) -- The death toll from the cyclone that slashed through Myanmar has soared to more than 15,000 people, official sources said late Monday.

Sources said casualties from Cyclone Nargis are expected to reach at least 10,000 in the city of Bogalay alone, with another 1,000 dead in the city of Laputta, both in the country's Irrawaddy delta region, Xinhua reported.

The state-run Chinese news agency also cited government sources saying at least 20,000 homes had been destroyed on Haing Kyi island in the river delta, leaving more than 97,000 people without shelter.

The Myanmar government also said thousands more were injured and missing in the aftermath of the storm, which slogged through Yangon and the Irrawaddy delta packing dangerous rains and winds of more than 130 miles per hour, Radio New Zealand reported Tuesday.

Foreign Minister Nyan Win said the government would accept international assistance, and aid shipments were being prepared.

The United Nations says Myanmar's military government agreed to allow U.N. aid agencies to operate in the country formerly known as Burma to help survivors.

"The U.N. will begin preparing assistance now to be delivered and transported to Myanmar as quickly as possible," said Paul Risley of the World Food Program.

==================

Is Thailand the closest location of members to this board? (Nobody from Myanmar?) Assuming people in Myanmar had internet access, would "surfing" be allowed under the military government? Anybody know (Thai people or others)?

kittyking
May 6th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Nice mention of Radio New Zealand there :rocker2:

Martian KC
May 6th, 2008, 05:19 AM
My parents just flew back to Myanmar yesterday to help. I hope they could at least get into the country and not get rerouted.

drake3781
May 6th, 2008, 05:24 AM
My parents just flew back to Myanmar yesterday to help. I hope they could at least get into the country and not get rerouted.

Say more? Were they there before the cyclone? Or they are from Myanmar?

How do they think they can help? Are they aid workers?

Martian KC
May 6th, 2008, 05:26 AM
They flew back after the cyclone hit. We're from Myanmar, they flew back to help out our families that might need aid.

Wannabeknowitall
May 6th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I kinda do feel bad but there's a reason I really don't.

The Myanmar government also said thousands more were injured and missing in the aftermath of the storm, which slogged through Yangon and the Irrawaddy delta packing dangerous rains and winds of more than 130 miles per hour, Radio New Zealand reported Tuesday.

Foreign Minister Nyan Win said the government would accept international assistance, and aid shipments were being prepared.

The United Nations says Myanmar's military government agreed to allow U.N. aid agencies to operate in the country formerly known as Burma to help survivors.

"The U.N. will begin preparing assistance now to be delivered and transported to Myanmar as quickly as possible," said Paul Risley of the World Food Program.

The possibility of this happening in Myanmar was incredibly high and the military government knew about this for years.
Myanmar is a country where almost a good portion of the 55 million people who live there live below sea lavel.
It's basically a big delta.
Think New Orleans without levees.

The first thing I can recall when Katrina happened was thinking please let some country that is predominately under sea level learn from our mistake.

They didn't and they're lucky because if the tsunami that happened a few years ogo hit Burma head on, just in that one country you would have hundreds of thousand of people dieing.

If something isn't done now, a 1/3 of Myanmar will be under water by the end of this century due to global warming.
Don't just let us in every time there's a fucking catastrophe there.

Help us to prevent the catastrophe from happening.

galadriel
May 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

mariahdg
May 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
==================

Is Thailand the closest location of members to this board? (Nobody from Myanmar?) Assuming people in Myanmar had internet access, would "surfing" be allowed under the military government? Anybody know (Thai people or others)?

dumb post.:help:

you should ask to the North Korean

rockstar
May 6th, 2008, 12:02 PM
wow, i heard about it in the news to day, but i didnt know the deathtoll was this high :eek: :sad:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Psss... it's 22,000 now.... and still climbing... :tape:

mariahdg
May 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Myanmar government refuses assistance of USA

BigB08822
May 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Myanmar government refuses assistance of USA

That is ridiculous but whatever, sometimes you have to swallow your pride.

drake3781
May 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/DC603688-8C54-4C28-8D19-41562F1DF86F.htm

Look at these satellite pictures. Very interesting.

mariahdg
May 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
drake3781
If you are talking about Burma's cyclone,
why must add the 'military government' after it. what's information you want to give us?

congrats you are qualified for CNN.

Sam L
May 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
drake3781
If you are talking about Burma's cyclone,
why must add the 'military government' after it. what's information you want to give us?

congrats you are qualified for CNN.

Are you like a fan of military dictators or something? :rolleyes: :confused:

mariahdg
May 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Are you like a fan of military dictators or something? :rolleyes: :confused:

What are you talking about?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

you are a fan like to mix things?

drake3781
May 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Somebody else explain it to him. I cannot deal with Shalafan any longer.

samsung101
May 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I really don't think Global Warming has much to do with this.
Cyclones and hurricanes of massive proportion have hit the world
before, and they will again, without any push from mankind.

It is sad any nation would refuse direct American or Western assistance.
Other nations have done this before. Israel offers help to disaster situations,
and it is often refused. Not a new thing.

But, the USA will just funnel funds to the UN and other world relief
groups, as it does already - but, more so.

Americans will donate privately to relief groups, as individuals always do.
I just hope the media gives this ample coverage.

Where do you start with this disaster?
Tens of thousands dead, tens of thousands more presumed dead.

It really is frightening to think of the ramifications long term.
But, they need to get to the immediate needs ASAP, i.e., medical
care, lost and found, clean water, food, shelter, etc.

samsung101
May 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
It is fair to mention the military govt., only because of the recent protests and violence
the world saw unfold for days and days.

The unrest was spurred by the military govt.'s actions on the monks and the citizens.

Hard to not mention that w/the disaster in place now...how are they reacting to this disaster?
who is helping them? how can others help? did they warn people of the weather pattern?

But, in the end, it's really about helping, and getting the assistance to those who need it.
Not just in the pockets of the govt. officials. Which is what some fear will happen...they'll
just not spend the millions in cash which will be sent from charities.

mariahdg
May 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
It is fair to mention the military govt., only because of the recent protests and violence
the world saw unfold for days and days.

mainstream protocol ??? :lol:

lie around the news. surely I know how to lie around the news about China.

pollution of the environment.poison toy. causing the warming, ccp authoritarian, tibetans desire freedom of religion, tian an men event, fa lun gong things. anything must care about chinese democracy or human rights.

even wrote the satellite of china, also will lie around how many ppl live below poverty line.
That' s alright, but dont twist.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Somebody else explain it to him. I cannot deal with Shalafan any longer.

Don't bother. He/she thinks that China and its allies are the overlords of the world, and anyone criticizing them is punishable by death. :tape:

I have already given up since last year. Others should do.

mariahdg
May 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
ZeroSOFInfinity

you popular stars banner must be worst of this forum.
Where is twins??
really I don't want to being rude

can i introduce some girls to you?

Slumpsova
May 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
They flew back after the cyclone hit. We're from Myanmar, they flew back to help out our families that might need aid.
i didn't know you are Burmese? :eek:
nice to know BTW :)

back to topic, this is very devastating and i got a little bit scared bc it is so close to Thailand.

justine schnyder
May 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Wow :sad: :sad:

samsung101
May 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
What would someone in the know - recommend as the
best charity to donate to for this?
What will help out the most, and really get to those
in need the fastest?

RVD
May 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Man oh man...
The Burmese people just can't seem to catch a break. :sad:

Military Government run (evil at that); military junta changes country’s name to Myanmar; Massive White Slavery (sexual trade of their women and children) problem; and now a devastating natural disaster.

I had the great pleasure of meeting a Burmese man and his family in 2001 - 2002. This incredible man who made it his life's ambition to fight against the White Slavery rife in his country. His daughter (Han) and mine were best friends up until the family was forced to move away (due to financial reasons). The father was a well known (at least in Berkeley) protester, and was being watched by our government. :rolleyes:
His wife was the sweetest lady I’d ever met. She used to cook Burmese meals for me to sample (just because ). What a nice and beautiful woman she was, and what a sweet family.
I hope that their relatives weren't caught up in this disaster and that he succeeds in convincing our government that the White Slave trade (taking place with our nation’s knowledge of many of those responsible parties involved) needs to stop. :(

drake3781
May 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I know Burmese women are heavily involved in the sex trade in Thailand.

Undoubtedly some/many of those are forced; others are just as well forced by economic necessity.

Not sure if the term "White Slavery" applies to Burmese people... perhaps there is a more appropriate term?

drake3781
May 6th, 2008, 09:57 PM
A look at Myanmar's cyclone - devastated Irrawaddy delta

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 6, 2008
Filed at 2:01 p.m. ET

Overview of the Irrawaddy Delta, the region of Myanmar hardest hit by Cyclone Nargis (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/myanmar/cyclone_nargis/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier):

THE DEATH TOLL: Of the 22,000 dead so far, as many as 21,793 were from the Irrawaddy delta. Another 40,695 of the 41,000 missing also came from the region.

THE GEOGRAPHY: Located on the tip of the country's western coast, the Irrawaddy delta is a low-lying region where as many as 6 million people live. An additional 6.5 million people live in Yangon, the country's former capital, located on the edge of the delta. The mighty Irrawaddy River branches out into numerous tributaries to form the delta, which is also criss-crossed by canals and wetlands.

THE ECONOMY: The fertile region of the Irrawaddy Delta is considered the country's rice bowl, where mangrove forests long ago were converted into paddy fields. Once the world's top rice producer, the country produced only about 40,000 tons for export last year.

Rice production plummeted after Myanmar's military regime nationalized agriculture following the 1962 military takeover, forcing farmers to sell to the state at below-market prices. Production improved after rice growing and trading was liberalized in the 1990s, but never reached anywhere near earlier highs.

RVD
May 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I know Burmese women are heavily involved in the sex trade in Thailand.

Undoubtedly some/many of those are forced; others are just as well forced by economic necessity.

Not sure if the term "White Slavery" applies to Burmese people... perhaps there is a more appropriate term?
Nope, the term works perfectly, because that's what it is.

You should really attend the protest events and discover the horror of what these women and children endure. Many are kidnapped and sold to sex traders. What would be a more fitting term than what the dictionary defines it to be?
Honestly now, what phrase or term to use is the least of the problem. :shrug:

Wannabeknowitall
May 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I really don't think Global Warming has much to do with this.
Cyclones and hurricanes of massive proportion have hit the world
before, and they will again, without any push from mankind.

It is sad any nation would refuse direct American or Western assistance.
Other nations have done this before. Israel offers help to disaster situations,
and it is often refused. Not a new thing.

Spoken like a true neaderthal conservative.
Noone said the cyclone had anything to do with global warming.

And since I'm the only who even brought global warming up, all I said was to learn from the mistake America made.

Did I say Katrina was produced by warmer waters due to global warming? NO.
The fact remains that a category one could have hit those levees and they would have broke.

What I said was that the country is on a delta basically as the Netherlands.
You can't just stand there and hope that nothing happens, you have to stop it from happening.

If they get heavy monsoonal rains, a thousand people die easily and if the military government is telling you otherwise then they're lieing.

So something must be done soon to protect this delta.
The problem is that the government is so concerned about how something like that would effect their immense rice paddies that the people come second.

RVD
May 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
You know...
I'm really surprised that I have to do this, but...*SIGH*

Just so that there is no misubderstanding the term White Slavery.

http://www.answers.com/topic/white-slavery
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/white+slavery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_slavery

Wannabeknowitall
May 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I hope that their relatives weren't caught up in this disaster and that he succeeds in convincing our government that the White Slave trade (taking place with our nationís knowledge of many of those responsible parties involved) needs to stop. :(

And what exactly is America suppose to do?

There's knowledge of a lot of things going on in this world but we can't go into a soverign government and put a stop to it.
That's why we are where we are now in the world.

We can't sanction them.

How are we going to sanction a country who doesn't want our money or help anyway.

Just for everyone's knowledge.
Remember that small shortage that Sam's Club had a few weeks ago with rice well that's not small anymore.
The one thing you prayed wouldn't go too far up in price, is going to go up as well.

drake3781
May 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Nope, the term works perfectly, because that's what it is.

You should really attend the protest events and discover the horror of what these women and children endure. Many are kidnapped and sold to sex traders. What would be a more fitting term than what the dictionary defines it to be?
Honestly now, what phrase or term to use is the least of the problem. :shrug:

I am quite aware of modern day slavery, and I work to improve the reality of it. As I'm sure you know there are other forms in addition to sex slavery.

While there may be a dictionary definition of it, I do think there are more approrpriate terms for it, for at least two reasons, providing a factual description of the type of slavery (sex slavery, captive labor, etc.) and to remove a racial/color implication which is not accurate. I agree that the term is not the crux of the issue. However I find your tone of superiority, disgust, and dismissal on the matter off-putting.

Interesting, I was considering making a thread on modern day slavery, as I learned that one poster here who is apparently extremely offended at one of the many types of slavery that occured in the past is unaware that slavery continues to this day. I found that extremely surprising.

Glad to hear you are aware of it and perhaps have taken small or larger actions to improve these conditions.

Anyway, perhaps this discussion belongs in a different thread.

RVD
May 7th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I am quite aware of modern day slavery, and I work to improve the reality of it. As I'm sure you know there are other forms in addition to sex slavery.

While there may be a dictionary definition of it, I do think there are more approrpriate terms for it, for at least two reasons, providing a factual description of the type of slavery (sex slavery, captive labor, etc.) and to remove a racial/color implication which is not accurate. I agree that the term is not the crux of the issue. However I find your tone of superiority, disgust, and dismissal on the matter off-putting.

Interesting, I was considering making a thread on modern day slavery, as I learned that one poster here who is apparently extremely offended at one of the many types of slavery that occured in the past is unaware that slavery continues to this day. I found that extremely surprising.

Glad to hear you are aware of it and perhaps have taken small or larger actions to improve these conditions.

Anyway, perhaps this discussion belongs in a different thread.Ab-so-lute-ly amazing!

Then by all means, feel free to attach whatever term you like. It's a free world man. Just because YOU feel there is a better term, doesn't supercede the definition of what 'Websters' and other dictionaries have already defined. :eek:
*I've just stepped into the Twilight Zone*

And the characterization of my supposed "tone" and "superiority, disgust, and dismissal on the matter" shows how incredibly 'off-base' you are on the intent and context of my post. However, rather than argue further, I'll wait until you've re-read and comprehended my original post, and calm down long enough to post something relevant in response.

Gonna go see a movie now, so take your time. :wavey:

mariahdg
May 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
drake, hurry up
donate to Einstein Institution supports anti-government organization of burma

good name :haha:

Williamsser
May 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Burma aid blocked by Chinese-backed military junta

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article.html?in_article_id=146419&in_page_id=64

Relief efforts to help victims of the Burma cyclone are being held back because the ruling junta are dragging their feet on giving visas to aid workers, internal UN documents claim.

Help has begun to trickle into Burma but the situation has been described by the UN as a 'major disaster'.

Crowds of survivors have also stormed the few shops that opened today in the devastated Irrawaddy delta where there were reports of 'fist fights' over supplies.

Little aid has reached the area since the weekend when Cyclone Nargis blasted the country's western coast, killing more than 22,400 people and leaving an estimated one million homeless.

The military junta normally restricts access of foreign officials and organizations to the country and aid groups are struggling to deliver relief goods.

The minutes of a meeting today of the U.N. task force coordinating relief for Burma said: "Visas are still a problem. It is not clear when it will be sorted out."

It added that U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will contact Burma to arrange a meeting with high-ranking officials on the issue.

Richard Horsey, spokesman for the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Aid said: "Basically the entire lower delta region is under water.

"Teams are talking about bodies floating around in the water. This is "a major, major disaster we're dealing with."

Horsey predicted the number of fatalities could rise "dramatically" and there are fears that it could reach 50,000.

Aid workers started distributing essential relief supplies in the region, including water purification tablets, mosquito nets, plastic sheeting and basic medical supplies. But heavily flooded areas were accessible only by boat, with helicopters unable to deliver relief supplies there.

Meanwhile Andrew Kirkwood, head of the Save the Children aid group in Yangon, said: "The most urgent need is food and water. Many people are getting sick. The whole place is under salt water and there is nothing to drink. They can't use tablets to purify salt water."

Officials in India, which is already sending relief goods by planes and navy ships, said they had warned Burma that Cyclone Nargis was headed for the country two days before it made landfall there.

The state-run Indian Meteorological Department kept a close watch on the storm in the Bay of Bengal since it was first spotted April 28 and sent regular updates about its progress to all the countries in its path, department spokesman B.P. Yadav said.

Many angry Yangon residents say they were given vague and incorrect information about the approaching storm and no instructions on how to cope when it struck.

Expat
May 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM
china and to a lesser extent thailand are the biggest supporters of the junta
india has no option but to keep quiet on the abuses in myanmar to keep the chinese influence on burma in check
aside from playing china against asean and india myanmar doesnt have much clout in the world
and the junta couldnt care less about the people

HippityHop
May 8th, 2008, 10:48 PM
There are many who would be delighted for China to replace the US as the world's super power. Let's see how China handles this disaster from a humanitarian standpoint.

Then the USA haters can decide how they would like living in a world in which China called the shots. This is a good test.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Burma impounds UN aid deliveries

The World Food Programme has halted aid shipments to Burma after the contents of its first delivery were impounded on arrival in the military-ruled country.

The UN body says the Burmese government seized aid material flown in to help victims of Cyclone Nargis, which has killed tens of thousands.

The WFP said it had no choice but to halt aid until the matter was resolved.
Burma's ruling generals have faced mounting criticism over their handling of the crisis.

The UN fears more than 1.5 million people have been affected by the cyclone, with tens of thousands made homeless and vulnerable to disease.
Burmese state media say 22,980 people were killed, but there are fears the figure could rise to 100,000.

Hundreds of thousands of people have no food, water or shelter. International aid agencies on the ground say they have reached only 10% of those that need help.

Despite this, Burma's foreign ministry issued a statement on Friday saying it was not ready to allow foreign aid workers to enter the country.

The junta said it was happy to accept aid, but insisted it would control the distribution itself.

================================================== ===

Are those guys stupid? Those are aid for the people who're suffering... and they IMPOUND IT??? :help:

What they are afraid about? Anti-government pamphlets inside biscuit tins?

HippityHop
May 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I wonder if the Chinese will use their influence to help get the aid to the people who are suffering? Maybe they will.

But then again there's a Chinese proverb that says, "the tears of a stranger are just water".

mariahdg
May 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I wonder if the Chinese will use their influence to help get the aid to the people who are suffering? Maybe they will.

But then again there's a Chinese proverb that says, "the tears of a stranger are just water".
What does this mean?

Expat
May 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM
What does this mean?
something like if it doesnt hurt u
u will not feel or understand the pain

mariahdg
May 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
thanks, I just can't find the chinese source.